Best $4 you will ever spend

Posted by: TeacherRO

Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/09/11 06:50 PM

Spare car key. Spare house key.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/09/11 07:36 PM

I wish it only cost $4 to get my car key and house key copied.crazy

The car key would be cheap if I just wanted one without the transponder for the doors, but the house key is still $10+ to copy. That's kind of the upside and the downside to high-security locks.

On a side note, I also pay for Onstar with my truck which, despite the varying opinions on it, is actually kind of nice to have. A buddy of mine needed to get into my truck when I was away, so I called Onstar, gave them my super-secret-squirrel-code, and they unlocked my trucks door over the phone. When I called my buddy back he wanted to know how in the hell I did that. grin
Posted by: NuggetHoarder

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/09/11 08:31 PM

Jeep keys have a chip in them. $60 for a spare. frown But, I agree with the OP in principal. It's the best $60 I can spend. I have a spare hidden on the exterior of the Jeep. My spare house key is hidden in the backyard.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/09/11 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: NuggetHoarder
Jeep keys have a chip in them. $60 for a spare. frown But, I agree with the OP in principal. It's the best $60 I can spend. I have a spare hidden on the exterior of the Jeep. My spare house key is hidden in the backyard.

I've heard reports of insurance companies being difficult regarding theft claims if a spare key is used by the thief.

My car key costs $100 for a spare, but it came with two keys, so there is a spare. We have a house key hidden on our property.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/09/11 09:47 PM

You should be able to copy a vehicle key without the chip and use it for opening the door. It won't work in the ignition but if all you've done is locked the keys in the car it should do the job.

The other thing to do for this situation is to have one of those push button locks for the door and a spare key hidden INSIDE the vehicle.

Wish I had one when I locked my keys in the vehicle LAST weekend. It cost me $40 to a tow-truck operator to come out for 30 seconds of work!

I refound this website for a hitch receiver safe. Niffy but expensive. http://www.hitchsafe.com/
Posted by: Susan

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/09/11 11:42 PM

In the last year, I have been seeing MANY cars with plastic taped over a window.

I am thinking that most of these were done by the owners who locked their key in the car.

So, there seems to be conflicting info: can you get a cheap key cut to just get you inside the car? Or do you have to get the expensive key with the chip just to open the door?

I'll bet most people haven't lost their keys, they're sitting right there on the passenger seat, visible through the window of the locked doors.

Sue

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/10/11 12:18 AM

If it has a keyhole, it will let you use a non-transponder key to open a door. The problem though, is that more and more cars are using laser cut and sidewinder cut keys, which your typical key-cutting place can not duplicate. So even if they want a non-transponder key for the doors, it can be difficult and expensive. Sidewinder keys generally look like this:

With that in mind, the average owner doesn't usually get any spares made beyond the 1-3 they get when they buy the car.

Then, to make things more difficult, quite a few cars make using a key somewhat tricky. They might hide the actual key inside the remote fob itself. Then, to use that key, you have to locate the proper key hole, which can be surprisingly difficult on some cars.

The corvette is a great example of this. It uses a completely electronic based locking and unlocking system. While it does have emergency back-ups in place, most owners have no idea how to use them to get in or out of the car. It has actually led to a few calls to police from panic stricken owners who think they're trapped inside their car when the battery dies.

Here's a video of how the back-up lock systems work on a late model corvette. It's good to know, because you're probably going to see a lot of similar systems used in future vehicles:

Posted by: RayW

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/10/11 01:29 AM

Have also heard of a few Corvette owners putting the key along with whatever else is in their hands on top of the car and the transponder will "see" the key and allow the car to start. Driving down the road the stuff on the roof blows off with the fob and when you turn off the car at your destination you will not be able to restart it.

I was out with a friend in her new Corvette and she locked the key fob in the trunk, glad she had onstar. But we didn't lock the car it did that on it's own and turned on the alarm system so we couldn't just open the door and reach into the back of the car.

Always have a spare key, one of the last cars i purchased only had one key, i promptly had a spare made, it wasn't a week later my little brother was driving the car and he locked himself out. He did this a couple of more times before he got smart enough to take the key with him while putting gas in the car. Found out later that occasionally the car locks itself for no apparent reason. I guess the car was trying to tell my little brother something, i have told him more than once that the car just likes me better.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/10/11 09:28 PM

Another reason I love my 91 Honda Civic. You'd have to be pretty desperate to want to steal it and spare keys are cheap and easy.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Another reason I love my 91 Honda Civic. You'd have to be pretty desperate to want to steal it and spare keys are cheap and easy.

Actually, that era of civic and accord tends to top the list for most stolen vehicles.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=434545

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 12:56 AM

Not mine Paul. It looks like I paid $500 for it, which I did, and it gets a little rustier every day. You have to have a key in the shift lock to get it in gear, and a few days ago somebody backed into at the grocery store and dented the front quarter panel and the driver's door wouldn't open.

It's name is Gus.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 02:04 AM

You would actually be surprised.

Most of the time they don't care about the car itself, they just want to steal whatever is easiest and strip off whatever they can. Whatever the can't use or don't want then gets sold for scrap. A $500 car can put a few grand in their pocket pretty quick.

Speaking of which, I had an old K5 blazer that I used to use as a plow truck. The thing was a total rust bucket that was beat to crap. When I decided to replace it, as a whole truck, the scrap yard was going to give me $250 for it. So, I instead decided to part out what I could and just sell them the shell. Would you believe I got $100 just for the seats? Never mind the engine, trans, wheels, rear, ect. Then I brought the body and frame back to the scrap yard and they still gave me nearly $150 for it. When all was said and done I made more on that truck than I paid for it. crazy

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 07:02 AM

Old vehicles are also stolen to commit crimes. They go half a mile or so, then dump it and take off on foot, or in another vehicle.

Around here, they use them to rob mail boxes-- if they're seen and reported, the license plate is traced back to the old owner, who had reported the vehicle stolen, and the law is no closer to finding the perps.

Sue
Posted by: Bingley

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul810
Speaking of which, I had an old K5 blazer that I used to use as a plow truck. The thing was a total rust bucket that was beat to crap. When I decided to replace it, as a whole truck, the scrap yard was going to give me $250 for it. So, I instead decided to part out what I could and just sell them the shell. Would you believe I got $100 just for the seats? Never mind the engine, trans, wheels, rear, ect.

For future reference, how did you do this? Through Craigslist?

Da Bing
Posted by: widget

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 05:05 PM

I paid almost $300 for a spare key for my Land Rover. But I too will not go on trip without a spare car key!

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/11/11 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bingley

For future reference, how did you do this? Through Craigslist?

Yup, craigslist and ebay.

I also sold a couple of snowmobiles on ebay not that long ago. The day I listed them, a guy called me from NY state that night, said he really wanted them for vintage snowmobile racing. He drove down the 6 hours the next morning with his trailer to pick them up. The whole process took less than 24 hours, which amazed me.
Posted by: celler

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/15/11 11:30 AM

Locking keys inside the car is becoming more of a rarity in modern cars. For example, its almost impossible to do so in my old 97 BMW. If you push the door lock button down with the door open and shut the door, it simply unlocks itself. It can only be locked with the key from the outside or the fob with the door shut. I can't even lock the keys in the truck as the lock incorporates a push button that can only be double locked with the key or the fob with the trunk shut. I must believe more modern cars are incorporating this 14 year old technology. Probably worth the time to test your current ride and see if it has an idiot resistant door lock system.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/15/11 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: widget
I paid almost $300 for a spare key for my Land Rover. But I too will not go on trip without a spare car key!

I had to take my car in cause I was hearing some rattling. Loose fitting on the exhaust. Warranty and all that. Anywho I asked what the price was for a "Full Key" for my Corolla Sport XRS. Toyota's switched over to the keyless fob being integrated into the key. So you've got a chipped key with a keyless entry built in. For a set (They give you 2 plus 1 chipped valet key when you buy the cars) it cost $500.

I can see the obvious benefit of chipped keys. No chip, no signal and the engine stays locked.

But God help you if you lose your keys.

My Rover had the keyless entry built into the key and I actually paid over $400 for the key. I also have a '10 Toyota Corolla S and I promise not to lose any of the keys! Which reminds me, when I bought the car it has a sat radio antenna on the roof, a Sat radio button on the radio and silly me, I ASSumed it had sat radio. Nope, I called and asked (every Toyota dealer in town) how much to add the tuner?? $500. Seems a standard theme. Ok, I just plug my XM/Sirus Roady2 into the AUX jack and throw the little mag antenna on the football field size dash and away I go! Total cost? $0, hah!
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/15/11 08:16 PM

Months ago my wife went out to get something out of the trunk of my Nissan. She came back in the house carrying her stuff and announced that she couldn't get the trunk closed. She said when she closed the trunk the car beeped at her and the trunk opened back up. wink

I asked her where her keys were and she started checking pockets. We walked outside and there they were, laying in the trunk. When she had reached in to pick up her package the keys had slipped out of her hand and were laying just inside the trunk where you couldn't see them easily.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/15/11 11:21 PM

I defeated the 'idiot proof' system.

One 30 degree below zero F morning in International Falls, MN (Frostbite Falls to you Rocky and Bullwinkle fans) I decided that I needed to warm up the car before driving. I separated the key from the fob thinking I could lock the car and let it run for a while while I downed some hot coffee in the motel lobby, and then unlock it with the fob. I started the car, manually locked it, and shut the door leaving the key in the ignition.

I found out when I came back out that the fob does not work while the car is running.

I now have another key with me at all times, and a touch of frostbite in my left pinkie.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/16/11 10:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
I defeated the 'idiot proof' system.

One 30 degree below zero F morning in International Falls, MN (Frostbite Falls to you Rocky and Bullwinkle fans) I decided that I needed to warm up the car before driving. I separated the key from the fob thinking I could lock the car and let it run for a while while I downed some hot coffee in the motel lobby. I started the car, manually locked it, and shut the door leaving the key in the ignition.

I found out whan I came back out that the fob does not work while the car is running.

I now have another key with me at all times, and a touch of frostbite in my left pinkie.

Funny story Byrd_Hunter. Sometimes we are too smart for our own good. wink

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/17/11 02:40 AM

I like my Corolla S, I have had it now for 23 months. I have averaged 36 MPG with it and that is on all driving. The thing is though, I only have 4700 miles on it. I never drive it anymore. Since I retired I hardly drive anywhere, anytime. I sold the Rover in January, just before the gas prices went way up...lucky me! So now I have a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer that I bought new 7 years ago and have had two very minor repairs, so it is essentially the best vehicle I ever owed as far as serving me reliably. I bought the maximum Toyota warranty on my Corolla so I have no worries with it and both are relatively low mileage as far as wear and tear goes.
So, other than having two cars I love and not driving them a lot, I am set for vehicles for quite some time I suspect.
My S is Barcelona Red, nice color, kinda load but it is the only red car I can ever remember owning. Cheers!
Posted by: cfraser

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/17/11 07:31 PM

I have carried spare house/car keys for ~25 years. Because I learned to:

Once when I was 22 I locked my car keys on the front seat of the car, I could see them there. It didn't ruin the night, worried about it later. Luckily in the dark early morning there are a lot of certain types of people around. I chose a likely guy and he opened my car cleanly as fast as I could have with the key.

Once ~25 years ago I accidentally locked the door from the garage into the house. Had to go to a phone, call a locksmith...it was in the early evening so premium rates. I watched the guy make a key from scratch just by using their "special" blanks and jiggering it in the lock...probably took about 5 mins.

Anyway, my actual "contribution" was going to be: don't store your spare keys in any pouch/case/wallet/etc. that you also store ANY type of ID in. Oh sure, the guy will use the address/license etc. info to return your keys, sure... The corollary is that if you lose your house keys (with ID) you MUST re-key your locks ASAP. Even if somebody returns the keys. This may be obvious to people here, but I was surprised (when speaking to groups) just how "unobvious" it is to people.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/17/11 07:59 PM

I moved to Columbus OH in 1991 from the eastern side of WV, so I was 250 miles away from any family or friends. My little Chevy truck that came from the repo auction had a couple holes in the floor the previous owners made for mud and water to drain as they must have mud raced it. I taped over a hole and taped my spare keys there, it was back under the seat where it couldn't be seen from inside and was hard to get to from the outside as you had to carefully reach between the frame and front drive shaft.
So that first winter I started the engine and got out to scrape the windshield and when I went to get back in the door was locked. I reached my pocket knife under to cut the tape and when I punched through I heard a ping as a key bounced around inside. I laid down in the ice and snow and took my arm out of the coat sleeve and squeezed up as far as I could inside and was able to grab a key with my now frozen and dirty arm. Unlocked the door and got in and drove back to my apartment. Then when I got into my apartment I noticed I had the spare ignition key and not the door key, this was back when there were two separate and they were different. I went back down to the parking lot and tried that spare ignition key and it would not open the door lock. I used the door lock key and opened it and got in and found the spare door key way over on the passenger side where it flew when I punched through the tape.
Somehow, when I needed it most, that ignition key unlocked the door that one time.
I always kept spares in my wallet after that.
Also I see a lot of people who keep their BOB's, one of the things I've done is either put my wallet and keys and phone in the front pocket of my BOB or a spare set of keys in it. If the house caught fire and I needed to evac out a window I'd grab my BOB on the way, probably tossing it at the window first to break the window then have keys to get in either vehicle and start it up and move away from the house and have access to the heater and/or spare clothes.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/18/11 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: cfraser
I watched the guy make a key from scratch just by using their "special" blanks and jiggering it in the lock...probably took about 5 mins.

Did he jiggle it, and file it, jiggle it, and file it, and so on? If so, that's called impressioning. It's one of the finer arts of the locksmithing trade. Very interesting thing to watch when you have someone that is good at it.
Posted by: cfraser

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 07/18/11 06:00 PM

^ Yup, that's what he did. The lock made little marks on the blank and he just gradually filed it. I asked him about it since I had never seen/heard of that ("pre-internet" lol) and vaguely recall he said the blank's metal surface was easily marked by lock tumblers etc. to show where to file.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 08/17/11 08:06 PM

And remember to give the Dear Wife a copy of your key...Keeps it handy.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 08/18/11 01:03 AM

Had my locked out of my car episode last week. The key fob failed and I found out that the the key will not unlock the doors if they were locked with the key fob. Think that this has something to do with a British sense of humor, the car is made in England.

Fortunately for me the dealership is nearby and the mechanic was able to come over and break into my car and bypass the the alarm and ignition immobilizer. Now I know how to unlock my car with the "special key" that is now in the trunk. And the alarm bypass instructions are in the owners manual. So I am set for the next time.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 03:44 PM

Ditto house keys...An ounce of prevention...

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 04:11 PM

Quote:
Now I know how to unlock my car with the "special key" that is now in the trunk.

So, how do you get into the trunk?

Sue

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Quote:
Now I know how to unlock my car with the "special key" that is now in the trunk.

Sue

LOL!!!

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 10:26 PM

My car can lock me out while I still have the key in hand but the trunk still opens with the key. If I don't have a key on me the fiberglass is flexible enough that the trunk lid can be lifted on one side enough to to reach in and pull the internal release that is there in case you are locked in the trunk. Or so I have been told, have not been brave enough to try that yet.

But the special key is a rubber door stop to wedge the window open and a bent up welding wire that will reach in and grab the lock knob and allow it to be pulled up. Of course the whole time you are doing this the alarm is howling so ear plugs are not a bad idea either.

Here is a picture of the car in case you ever need to break into one,

That is the space shuttle Atlantis in the background a week or two before it's last launch. And Susan the car is shown in its actual size. Parked next to the Suburban you drive it looks like the spare car that came with your truck.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Or so I have been told, have not been brave enough to try that yet.

Very nice car! I was just talking to someone about the Tesla Roadster a couple days ago so that's what I immediately thought of. Your car bears a striking resemblance to a Tesla, but then I noticed the air scoops on the sides. Tesla roadsters don't have side vents, although Lotus ones do.

Yeah, I don't think I could bring myself to pry open the trunk, if I owned that car. Unless I was parked dangerously close to the launchpad of the Space Shuttle just before take-off and I needed to drive away in a hurry or be vaporized by the rocket blast.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 10:53 PM

Your logic is inescapable, Sue! LOL

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/07/11 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Arney

Very nice car! I was just talking to someone about the Tesla Roadster a couple days ago so that's what I immediately thought of. Your car bears a striking resemblance to a Tesla, but then I noticed the air scoops on the sides. Tesla roadsters don't have side vents, although Lotus ones do.

Thanks Arney. The Tesla rolling chassis is made by Lotus so the cars are very similar. The body panels for the Tesla are made in France if I remember correctly. But they still look alike, and the first Tesla that I saw, at first glance I thought it was an Elise. Here is a photo of the Tesla,

I should mention that it's my photo but not my car.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/08/11 01:37 AM

With the cost of the replacement electronic keys these days, it's probably cheaper to send your whole family to locksmith school.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/08/11 04:14 AM

But the special key is a rubber door stop to wedge the window open and a bent up welding wire that will reach in and grab the lock knob and allow it to be pulled up. Of course the whole time you are doing this the alarm is howling so ear plugs are not a bad idea either.

Many cars don't have knobs or buttons that can be easily manipulated with a coat hanger or wire. I've become pretty good at using the door stop and a coat hanger to retrieve the keys through the door, rather than work the locks.

Last winter my daughter locked her keys in the Grand Cherokee. Of course it was around 20*F and dark. I got there and called AAA to send someone out. But I managed to fish the keys out with a coat hanger before AAA arrived (less than 15 minutes).

Funniest thing was several months later we discovered that the rear hatch lock didn't work, probably came that way when we bought it (used). We could have just popped open the rear hatch and crawled inside to get the keys in a minute or less.

Of course the Wrangler is a whole 'nother story. Unless the hard top is on for the winter, a quick zip zip and I'm in through the soft top. Locking the doors -- when they're on -- is just a deterrent, and a weak one at that. Stupid thing is that most thieves cut the soft top to get in, either not realizing or not caring that unzipping is just as easy.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/08/11 07:55 PM

Quote:
And Susan the car is shown in its actual size. Parked next to the Suburban you drive it looks like the spare car that came with your truck.

Cute car! But I can't see from the angle shown... does the suitcase handle fit flush into the roof? grin

What kind is it?

Sue

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/08/11 10:41 PM

Quote:
And Susan the car is shown in its actual size. Parked next to the Suburban you drive it looks like the spare car that came with your truck.

Cute car! But I can't see from the angle shown... does the suitcase handle fit flush into the roof? grin

What kind is it?

Sue

Suitcase handle? Susan don't you know that is where the wind up key goes. wink

It's a Lotus Elise and it's made in England. And what you would really like about it is other than the crazy alarm system that is installed on it to meet federal theft deterrent guidelines it has relatively little electronics on it. Granted it does have the engine management computer with ABS and traction control along with AC and power windows. But it doesn't have power anything else.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/09/11 06:16 AM

Oh, a Lotus! I think the only Lotus I ever recognized was the Elan. Saw one a couple of weeks ago, a surprise!

Quote:
Susan don't you know that is where the wind up key goes.

I always thought they put the windup key in the back, between the rear wheels.

If it doesn't have a suitcase handle, how do you carry it into your hotel room with you???

Quote:
...other than the crazy alarm system that is installed on it to meet federal theft deterrent guidelines it has relatively little electronics on it.

If it doesn't have all that regulated crap on it, how is it allowed/sold in the U.S.?

Sue

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/09/11 07:58 AM

If it doesn't have all that regulated crap on it, how is it allowed/sold in the U.S.?

Sue

Lotus got an exemption on some things because they're such a small volume importer. However, I remember hearing that their free pass is about to run out, so they're going to have to add a bunch of crap into their cars soon.

A friend of mine is a big Lotus (Lotii?) collector. He let me take his Elise and Exige S for a drive a couple of times. It's about the closest thing to a street legal go-kart I've ever driven.

With that said, I think I've also driven motorcycles that were more practical. With my size 14 feet, I couldn't wear my normal shoes to drive 'em (the pedals and foot-well are too small); and at 6'3" I couldn't find a way to get in or out of the car that didn't make me look like a total dufus.

They've got a new one out called the Evora that's supposed to be a bit more practical, but at $65,000+ it's not exactly at the top of my purchase list.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/09/11 10:08 AM

Sue

What Paul said.

And Paul, I'm shorter than you and there is still no graceful way to get in and out of the car. The only person that I have seen that can is my friend that introduced me into the world of Lotus. She is a little taller than I am, she's 5'8". She can wear a short dress with heels and still remain a lady while she gets in and out of the car.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/10/11 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Spare car key. Spare house key.

Here's my story that explains why I have spare car keys SEWN INTO MY LUGGAGE.

I was in the Rochester NY area on a business trip. After the meeting, I was getting ready to go through security, and I always zip my key ring & phone into my roll-on bag's outside pouch right as I go through security. Of course, no keys in my pocket. Oh boy...my flight is in 1 Hour and 30 minutes.. It's the second-to-last flight home of the day...the last flight is full. So it's the last flight for me.

I call the client - are my keys at their office? Nope.
I call the hotel - did I leave the keys in the hotel? YES!

But the hotel is a 45 minute 1 way drive back. My flight is in one hour 30 minutes...unless I can get a cab to drive really really fast...ugh..not going to happen.

The woman on the phone says, "Well, Joe here can come to the airport with your keys. Joe's a groundskeeper, but he'd be happy to come by. Where should he meet you?"

Joe showed up, I got home, but after that - spare keys are permanently enclosed in my EDC bag, my travel backpack and my roll-on.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/10/11 05:08 PM

This key-locked-in-car situation came up at our driver's meeting recently. One of the drivers left his key on the armrest, got out with his crew and automatically punched the door lock. At 3:00 a.m.

It ended up with our regional manager getting out of bed, calling a locksmith, and meeting him with payment.

I reached into my pocket for my small wallet that contains my DOT certif, my DL, debit card, credit card, small phone book and my extra set of keys (work van, personal car, house) and waved it around.

"Why not just spend a couple bucks for a duplicate door key?"

Some of the other drivers said it 'wasn't worth it', that they'd rather just break the window (it's not their vehicle). And sit in broken glass dust. Yeah. Smart.

Sue
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/10/11 05:47 PM

if you have a high ground clearance vehicle, a brass bolt and stainless wing nut can usually find a place in an existing hole to secure a spare key... only your oil change guy will know..
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/10/11 06:03 PM

You have your own personal oil change guy?:)
Chances are your oil change guy won't even see it, they rarely manage to find all the grease fittings.

I used to tape mine over top of the tape over a rust hole, reach under and punch through the tape and you get your keys smile

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/10/11 09:21 PM

In your wallet of prob. simplest.
Posted by: comms

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/11/11 03:41 PM

this thread has been limping along so long now, I'm not even sure if I've posted on it.

I advocate a magnetic key case attached to the vehicle somewhere (duct taped shut), in previous vehicles I've used bail wire to tie one to a spot underneath.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/11/11 03:46 PM

My car has a chip in it, but I was able to get a plastic key made by AAA that opens the door. The key was free, but in retrospect I would have paid $100 because the key has gotten me out of at least one bonehead maneuver.

I have a spare house key hidden on my property. It would be easier to force your way into my house, than to find the key.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/11/11 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: comms
I advocate a magnetic key case attached to the vehicle somewhere (duct taped shut), in previous vehicles I've used bail wire to tie one to a spot underneath.

Be careful where you place the magnetic key cases. Anywhere near a wheel well and the first puddle you hit it will be gone.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/12/11 02:14 PM

Be careful where you place the magnetic key cases. Anywhere near a wheel well and the first puddle you hit it will be gone.

I want to make sure your warning doesn't distract from my recommendation Ray, b/c you're making a very specific consideration. If someone places that magnetic case correctly on the frame, meaning full contact, it will not come off. My POV is a very off road capable Jeep Wrangler and after 100's of off road miles it has not so much as shifted position.

I've used the same case for ten years on 3 vehicles. Current POV, Dodge Charger, Ford F150. Put it on a flat area at any angle with full contact, it will stick. Putting it on a rounded surface would be foolish.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/12/11 09:34 PM

Please provide a link to the magnet case you use. I have had a much different experience than you. The first time I used a magnet case hidden on the frame, it fell off. At the time, I was doing a lot of freeway driving at about about 75 mph. Perhaps freeway driving is more likely to cause the magnet to fall (?).

With a little thought, I'm sure I could make a more rugged device than a magnet. Anyway, I have no problem carrying a spare key on me at all times. It's more peace of mind this way.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/13/11 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Please provide a link to the magnet case you use. I have had a much different experience than you. The first time I used a magnet case hidden on the frame, it fell off. At the time, I was doing a lot of freeway driving at about about 75 mph. Perhaps freeway driving is more likely to cause the magnet to fall (?).

I am not very good with adding photos to this forum, for some reason. So I compared the picture I just took with images online. The magnetic case I have is an identical match to a Hy-Ko magnetic key holder

I think I mentioned I've had mine for around a decade, so I have between 220,000-250,000 miles of it attached to the frame of one of my vehicles.

I didn't buy it from this link and I don't recall what I paid for it. Almost certainly just found it in a supply store.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/14/11 02:54 AM

Test the quality of the magnet. Some are better than others.

Another idea: I bought a pair of L.L. Bean shoes from Goodwill, and after a while discovered that the previous owner had taped a Mazda key to the bottom, under the added liner. I guess it would depend on how many pairs of shoes you have...

Sue

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 10/14/11 11:37 PM

I am not very good with adding photos to this forum, for some reason. So I compared the picture I just took with images online. The magnetic case I have is an identical match to a Hy-Ko magnetic key holder

Years ago I sold keys and magnetic hide a key boxes. From what I remember the big hiko's seemed to have the best magnets. There may be others but try and stick it to something before you buy it. Some have very weak magnets. And the plastic boxes are better than the metal ones, the metal ones will rust shut. Don't know how long it really would take for the boxes to rust up but I have seen several so gooked up that you couldn't pry it open with a screwdriver.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/17/11 07:20 PM

Spare car, home and office keys = priceless

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 01/11/12 11:07 PM

going to WalMart to get a spare house key made...
Posted by: LCranston

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 01/12/12 02:52 PM

Lowes had a sale last week on mini-multi-tools- they were 1.00 each. I bought one with intention of removing useless can-opener and inserting spare house-key.

The Lowes model has hex- heads holding in the tools, so easy to remove. I figure that way I have spare key in my EDC that doesn't take any extra space...

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 02/15/12 01:03 AM

Clever idea!

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 02/22/12 09:37 PM

I JUST locked my keys in my hubby's truck. Ran out of the office to get some stuff, had my hands full, thought I had them but I didn't. Good thing I double checked that I locked it before I closed the door. DOH!!

Sure wish I had a spare in my pocket or my desk. DH has the spare and his getting on his trusty steed to bring it to me.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 02/22/12 11:42 PM

Well, you are not the first one to do that, and you won't be the last. Welcome to the club. Aren't spouses handy?
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 02/23/12 12:10 AM

On my company van I have a magnetic key holder attached, very well hidden, and even painted the same color as the area it's placed in.

On my Jeep - I rarely have doors on it, when I do I never lock them, and even if I did I can just unzip the soft top back or side window from outside.
Posted by: 2005RedTJ

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 02/23/12 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
On my company van I have a magnetic key holder attached, very well hidden, and even painted the same color as the area it's placed in.

On my Jeep - I rarely have doors on it, when I do I never lock them, and even if I did I can just unzip the soft top back or side window from outside.

Friend of mine lived downtown. He had a jeep with the soft top and vinyl windows. He said "I can't keep stuff in my jeep. Anyone with a butter knife can cut their way in and take my stuff."

There's stuff worth stealing in there, but it's inside ammo cans that are all grimy, greasy, and covered with dirt. There's usually pine straw and such in the back. And no-one ever even wants to get near enough to look in it, even with the soft top off. LOL.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 02/23/12 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Well, you are not the first one to do that, and you won't be the last. Welcome to the club. Aren't spouses handy?

He says I owe him. I said I'll take it off his tab. wink

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 05/27/12 07:17 PM

Its probably the cheapest and most boring form of prep....but get spare keys anyway.*

( * spare glasses too)

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 08/08/12 06:54 PM

Sunglasses. Glasses holder thingie.
Posted by: Hanscom

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 08/09/12 05:47 PM

We just bought a used Honda CR-V for my wife which only came with the two remote pushbutton keys.

Since we both have always carried spares, we went to a locksmith and had a couple made. Since everything new has a chip in the key, it was not as simple a task as it used to be.

Only (!?) $65 per key. But that included reprogramming the two pushbutton keys as well.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/02/12 05:29 PM

A friendly reminder from your soggy and emarassed fellow ETSer.'I never did get around to sticking a spare key for my Jeep in a magnetic box on the Jeep. Too bad. I just waited 20 mins for my hubby to come and unlock it for me. I jumped out to read a stor hours sign and the door closed and locked somehouw behind me. Cel phone inside, of course. Thaankfull two employees were waiting for the store to open and lent me their cel phone to call home. The store kindly offered to let me wait inside but I found nice dry spot under a roof overhang to wait by the still running jeep.

DUH!!!
Posted by: spuds

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/03/12 02:12 AM

Shoot,locked myself out of house in snow,freeze or break a window,key woulda been nice.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/03/12 03:18 AM

My kid found out the hard way -- a local locksmith charges $70 to open a car. Or $4 for 2 spares.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/03/12 05:41 PM

I don't hide a key on my track - I hide a key in my wallet, in my wife's purse, with the kids...

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/03/12 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I don't hide a key on my track - I hide a key in my wallet, in my wife's purse, with the kids...

I thought along the same lines, Teacher, until yesterday. Everything was in the truck since I was walking exactly 8 feet from it to quickly read a sign. I guess I could skip the hide a key and just make sure ai have my keys in hand when exiting the vehicle.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/03/12 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I thought along the same lines, Teacher, until yesterday. Everything was in the truck since I was walking exactly 8 feet from it to quickly read a sign. I guess I could skip the hide a key and just make sure ai have my keys in hand when exiting the vehicle.

It's inconvenient sometimes, but I forced myself to get into the habit of never leaving the driver's seat without the ignition key in my hand. Even when it's a quick switch of drivers on a long drive, I'll turn off the car and hand the keys to the other person as we're walking past each other to trade places. At gas stations, the key goes into my pocket as I'm outside refueling.

It's mostly a habit to prevent locking myself out. But it should also eliminate those opportunistic carjackings where someone jumps into a car left running or with the key in the ignition and no one is in the driver's seat. I do something similar when I leave the house.

When leaving home, I always unlock the doorset from the inside and then lock it with the key from the outside instead of just turning the knob to get out and then pulling the door shut. I should never lock myself outside just as I realize my keys aren't in my pocket (been there, done that). Also, since I have to physically lock it on my way out every time, I never have that anxious feeling creep into my brain as I'm a few miles away of wondering, "Was the front door actually locked?"
Posted by: gonewiththewind

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/03/12 08:33 PM

You must think about habits when developing them, but once the habit is practiced for a long time, it actually forces the brain to work and think about the physical actions that have become your habits. Even if you may not be conscious of what you are forgetting, the repeated physical actions have caused the brain to feel that something is wrong and make you try to remember. When you fail to perform a habit that is deeply ingrained it can affect your mood and attitude in a negative way, and maybe it will spark the brain into remembering what you failed to do.
Posted by: nursemike

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 12/04/12 01:25 PM

btdt. Since moving to sunny florida, my clothing is too flimsy to hold all the pocket carry stuff that I was used to having; switched to a possibles bag (preferable to man-purse styling), and locked that in the car, too. *sigh*
Final solution-a lightweight sog folder, with a reduced-size car key fastened to the scale with electrical tape. Light enough to be supported by tropical-weight clothing, and the " Rule #3: always carry a knife" imperative is well-ingrained. Maybe I will build me a folder with a key blade-wait-I am not that skilled.

Re: Best $4 you will ever spend - 01/30/13 09:12 PM

Or get a man bag smile