Overall Camping Gear Costs?

Posted by: Frisket

Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 03:37 PM

What would you say the overall end cost of a full set of camp gear cost per range of quality? Lets Say A one person set of base items that are used in all weathers such as Canteens mess kits and knives and such. Not including Food or clothing since food is perishable and clothing well just to make it easier.

For overall Gear I would have to say I could purchase,

The Low end Spectrum of basic camp gear for 100-150$

The mid Range for 3-400$

Aaaaaand the high end for around 1-1500$

Personally i have seen prices double and sometimes triple per upgrade in range of quality.

For example I can purchase a Alum mess kit for 10$ for the low end. A Stainless steel Pot and plate for 30$ For the mid range. And a Titanium Cup and Bowl for 60$ for the high end.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 04:19 PM

Here is the current price breakdown for my mess kit that gets a lot of use whether it is a one day or multi-day hike. Note that I have no need to spend money on "high end" TI gear etc. If I really wanted to save the minimal weight advantage of TI gear, it is much easier (and healthier) to lose a lb or 2 of body weight...

The GSI utensils are representative as the brand I have are no longer available at the store I originally purchased them from.

MSR Pocket Rocket Stove: $40.00 (Any outdoors/hiking/camping store.)

Primus LITECH Trek Kettle Pot $28.00 (Any outdoors/hiking/camping store.)

GSI Acetal Fork $.60
GSI Acetal spoon $.60
GSI Acetal knife $.60

Aluminum 1 liter pot: $4.00 (hiking equipment swap meet)

SS 16 oz cup $9.00 (most hardware/outdoors store.)

Small plastic bowl $1.00- 2.50 (can purchased at a dollar/department store or gleaned from home cupboard.)

Small plastic plate: $1.00 to $2.50 (can purchased at a dollar/department store or gleaned from home cupboard.)

Total: $87.50
Posted by: dweste

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
What would you say the overall end cost of a full set of camp gear cost per range of quality?

The kickers are "end cost" and "full set."

I believe the answers will radically differ if the definition of "end cost" goes beyond just money. If end cost includes useful life, the energy required by carry weight, convenience of more compact design, reliability in rough weather, reliability in all seasons, ability to be repaired / sharpened to like-new condition, servicability / ease-of-use, safety features, etcetera, over a lifetime, then the math might include in "end cost" many things more than initial cost.

So, to oversimplify things, I think you need to decide on your acquisition approach based on your best guess of how much camping you are going to do. For those thinking lifetime, slowly accumulating gear toward the high end may represent the best long-term cost strategy. For those reluctantly going on what they hope is a once-in-a-lifetime good weather campout in a local park, borrow / improvise what you can, check out rentals, and then head to the thrift / dollar stores for the rest. If you are in-between or undecided, I suggest keeping things minimal and do the improvise / borrow / rent thing.

In the same vein, one person's "full set" may be overkill or foolish lack of preparedness for: another geographical / ecological location; to support purposes beyond mere camping [hunting, mountain climbing, winter exploration of backwoods, mountain bike touring, trail running, family outdoor weekends, etcetera; and that does not include the propensity for the market to create / reveal camping demands we did not know we had!

Trying to figure out and assemble the "full set" is a great exercise in preparedness planning. Consider letting survival functionality give you at least a start. Look at what you need to avoid violating the Rule of Threes [3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food, and, some say, 3 months without human contact]. Devise your own list of what-I-do-not-want-to-be-without categories [maybe: First Aid, Shelter, Fire, Water, Food, Navigation, Light, Signaling, Self-protection, Hygiene, and Morale].

For this thread, I think first specifying a list of gear would bring everyone onto the same page.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 05:46 PM

Car camping? Or backpacking?
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 06:22 PM

Basically, the sky is the limit, depending upon what you consider adequate and appropriate, which in turn depends on just which mode of "camping" you are contemplating.

Even within my preferred mode of camping - backpacking, costs can vary enormously. You can obtain a canteen for essentially nothing (recycled one liter pop bottle) or spend up to $82 for a titanium bottle of somewhat less capacity. An alcohol stove is also essentially free, with a trifling amount of labor, or you can spend up to about $250 for a stove which will also boil water.

Some items are key, and worth spending mucho dinero upon. For backpacking, you want to get a serviceable sleeping bag (as light as possible), a good pack, and good boots. With careful shopping, about $600 will get you all three items. Just about everything else can be accomplished on the cheap.

Then consider specialties - are you going to do any mountaineering or climbing? Good ropes run at least $150, and that is just the start. Caving? - you will need really good lights, which will not be cheap, as well as some other specialized gear.

If you are really into the outdoor scene, you will be buying, tweaking, and perfecting your gear, and you will always be spending money and/or time to make things just a little bit better. It is a lifetime pursuit.

A higher initial cost often turns out to be very cheap in the long run. That expensive down bag that keeps you warm and toasty on some grim nights and lasts for fifteen to twenty years returns its initial investment many times over. Same thing with boots and clothing, especially.

Conversely, if you don't get out and really use your gear, any money invested will be horrendously expensive.

Some excellent gear is quite cheap, and costs can be shaved considerably by judicious shopping.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 08:21 PM

I agree that the price variation of different options can be huge. Most people have many things around the house that can be used, you can find stuff at second-hand and dollar stores, you can hit a Walmart/Can Tire type store or you can go high-end.

Depending on what mode of camping, and where you'll be doing it, I'd suggest that you can make-do with lots of other gear but a decent tent is a key purchase. Again, there's a huge range in price, quality and features. Getting a tent with a bathtub floor, fly cover fly and durable seams is crucial for "all weather" camping. Our Walmart has one fitting this criteria on sale for $37 this week but there are LOTS of other options.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 11:27 PM

Todays commercially available camping and trekking gear is light years ahead of what I essentially started out with, and I certainly didn't have any problems. In fact using retro gear is actually quite fun to use, with the kit being mostly old ex military surplus.

Here is basically what I started out with back in the early 1980s.

58 Pattern Down and Feather Sleeping bag - currently around £40 for a unissued one. - Still competitive with its build in waterproof groundsheet

British GS Bergen. - around £20 on ebay.

British Army Pup tent - around £20 - Rubbish tent, look elsewhere. i.e. A British issue Basha tarp - around £30.

24Hr Operational Ration Packs - £10-15.

Hexamine Stove and Fuel - £3. British Army Mess Tins - £5. (I would go for a Swedish Army Trangia Cookset £12 instead)

Oh and a enameled tin cup - £3 and Stainless steel cutlery from the kitchen and a 58 Pattern Water Bottle £10.

So the total cost would be around £110-£120 or about $160.

This kit was also quite robust if a little heavy.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/13/11 11:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I want that cup

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 12:41 AM

Quote:
I want that cup

Its a little pricey at $13...For an enameled mug!!

I guess you'll want the enameled tea pot tea pot as well.. grin

http://www.shopplasticland.com/store/mer...;Category_Code=

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Rapid...5480&sr=1-2

Even quite good tents are reasonably priced nowadays.. wink

And sitting next to good roaring fire in the peace and quiet costs nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6zz3fo0HM

Posted by: Denis

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 05:14 AM

Assuming we're talking about core backpacking gear, my experience has put me at just under the $1,000 mark for what I think is a fairly decent set-up.

I don't think any of my gear would be considered ultralight or top end stuff, but it is all quality gear ranging from entry to mid level.

When I say core gear, I'm thinking about the stuff from this list that falls under either "The Essentials" or "Camping Gear" section; in otherwords it omits things under either the "Clothing" or "Extra Items" sections as well as some other things not on that list at all.

Pricing what I have based on that list, the following is the approximate break down:
  • compass $50
  • headlamp $20
  • first-aid kit $20
  • water bottle $10
  • firestarter $10
  • knife $40
  • gear repair items $15
  • whistle $5
  • 70L backpack $110
  • 2 man tent $300
  • -7C sleeping bag $130
  • sleeping pad $60
  • canister stove $40
  • small pot & eating kit $40
  • water purifier $100

Looking at this list, going to the high end I'd say its the backpack, tent, sleeping bag & pad that would drive your total cost much higher. For the backpack you could easily go $300, the tent $500, the bag $360, the pad $190. That said a different knife, stove and cookset could easily add several hundred dollars as well. Based on that I'd say the high end could easily break the $2,000 mark.

To go cheaper the couple items that stand out are the tent and the water purifier. Substituting a less expensive (but still quality) tent and water treatment chemicals could easily drop $200 - $300 dollars off the total.
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 02:28 PM

We opted for the higher end of the gear, the packs where 300 each, the tent another 300,
Silva compas with adjustable declination 60, 2 Vixtorinox lock blades 120+, Garmin 60 CSX with a few programs 600+
a.s.o.
The cheap stuff just does not cut it!

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 06:59 PM

Nice set-up MPB!! I'm a fan of quality too. Although my budget makes some of those purchases a little slower than others, I try to get the best quality I can as quickly as I can. Somethings just aren't worth compromising on!

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 07:01 PM

Quote:

Well you might as well stay in a hotel just like Mr Grylls. wink

It all depends on your outlook on life and whether you want to suffer a little, if you want to suffer a little it certainly makes for a more memorable outing.

http://toc.hipcast.com/deluge/7861d1e0-fb3b-0047-a126-8cabf5d425b2.mp3

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 08:45 PM

Cost does not necessarily equal quality, especially when you factor in likely conditions of use. You will need an expensive tent for a trip to Denali or the Himalayas, but something much cheaper (and lighter) will suffice for the Appalachian Trail in the summer. Expensive gear will not compensate for the lack of skills, judgment, and ability.

AFLM's gear reminds me of my first 'real" sleeping bag, a US Army surplus mountain bag, also down and feathers. It was cheap, warm, and rather heavy, but it kept me in good shape over several sub-zero nights. Using it made me appreciate the equally warm and much lighter bag I purchased later, a bag that lasted me for twenty years until it was stolen. Army surplus is often quite good, but just a tad bit heavy.

When considering the true cost of an item, you need to factor in its projected useful life. I have lots of items that are more than twenty-five years old and still going strong. The champion is an Army Mountain cook set, with a date of 1951. It is still as good as ever - its only problem is that it is bigger than I need most of the time.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: mpb
We opted for the higher end of the gear, the packs where 300 each, the tent another 300,
Silva compas with adjustable declination 60, 2 Vixtorinox lock blades 120+, Garmin 60 CSX with a few programs 600+
a.s.o.

Higher end (cost wise) gear does not always mean quality. My best 4-5 day back pack still only costs $100.00 new and has garnered very good reviews over the last few years.

On the other hand, I had a well known brand name pack that cost almost 3x as much and it was terrible quality. I ended up selling the pack at a substantial lose after giving up on the manufacture's customer service.

As for the Garmin 60 CSX, where did you spend $600.00? I have seen these (new in the box) on various outdoor supply websites, Ebay , Amazon and local stores for $200 - $280.00.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 10:18 PM

When I watched my son and nephew put up an old 2-man a-frame tent that my cousin and I used when we were kids I had to smile. Throw a ground sheet underneath, a tarp over the fly, and seal the seems every year and she's good as new. Not sure how much it cost 25 years ago but it's certainly paid for itself and more. Take care of your gear and it will take care of you!
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Rapid...5480&sr=1-2

Even quite good tents are reasonably priced nowadays.. wink

And sitting next to good roaring fire in the peace and quiet costs nothing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts6zz3fo0HM

Thats a cool tent. Haven't seen anything quite like it here.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Garmin 60 CSX with a few programs 600+
a.s.o.

As for the Garmin 60 CSX, where did you spend $600.00? I have seen these (new in the box) on various outdoor supply websites, Ebay , Amazon and local stores for $200 - $280.00.

Nor for that matter is a GPS receiver really necessary. Absent solid map reading and route finding skills, it could actually be a liability. I have used GPS receivers for about twenty years, and they are a fabulous technology, but I am very comfortable with a lighter and cheaper, quite accurate Foretrex 101. My prime reliance is on paper maps. In my country, even a compass sees only occasional use.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/14/11 11:30 PM

Back in the day I occasionally head off into the national forest for two and three day trips with nothing but the clothes on my back, a mussette bag (actually a USGI gasmask bag) with assorted small stuff, SAK, two canteens (one with canteen cup), 6'by8' tarp/rain cape, water repellent jacket.

Rations were instant oatmeal (2/day), granola bars (4/day), Kipper snacks (1/day), M&Ms (1/day), instant coffee (3/day), and tea (3/day).

I would heat water two or three times a day with a tiny twig fire if allowed or use heat tabs.

I carry in two quarts water and have a tiny bottle with a dozen USGI iodine based water treatment tablets and a bandana to use as a sediment filter so I could resupply from creeks and ponds.

In the fall I would add a wool blanket but spring and fall I could just curl up and sleep soundly.

Total weight was under fifteen pounds and I almost always had excess food. Total cost, if I had to buy equivalents new, would be under $70.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/15/11 12:07 AM

Nice Art! You've got to hand it to simplicity.

My mess plate is an old aluminum pie plate, handed down from my Grandma when I was a kid for our adventures. I've had it about 30 years now and it's the best thing going. Deeper dish than most, good size and it can take a beating. It's slightly warped but that just adds to it's character. Didn't cost a dime. At Scout leader camp they all look at me quizically while eating off of their fancy lexan or titanium plates but Cook always gives me more cause my plate can take it! wink

DS uses a Canadian Army canteen cup and an old enamal camp plate, handed down from my dad.

Low-tech and using what you have are really under-rated!
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/15/11 01:33 AM

The classic tin plated steel pie tin is a great old-school item. The aluminum version was more common but the traditional, late 60s, solution for a mess kit was to use a Frisbee as a plate/trencher. Completely unbreakable, deep enough for stews, and it does double-duty as a toy and sand shovel. The later point working out well for digging a fire and beer pits on a sandy beach. A quick rinse in the surf and it is ready for food.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/15/11 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
The classic tin plated steel pie tin is a great old-school item. The aluminum version was more common but the traditional, late 60s, solution for a mess kit was to use a Frisbee as a plate/trencher. Completely unbreakable, deep enough for stews, and it does double-duty as a toy and sand shovel. The later point working out well for digging a fire and beer pits on a sandy beach. A quick rinse in the surf and it is ready for food.

You may want to check out the Sea to Summit Delta plate its pretty much a nylon frisbee.

http://www.rei.com/product/782972/sea-to-summit-delta-plate

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/15/11 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Nice Art!
My mess plate is an old aluminum pie plate,

Friend of mine uses an old and very beat up 8" x 1-1/2" pizza pan similar to this one. He swears by it even though he complains all the time about the heat transfer when used with hot foods...

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/15/11 03:19 AM

Does anyone else keep the lower end items and purchase them as quick replace backups? For instance I have a beautiful 10$ Stainless Steel Plate and as a backup a 1$ unidentified alloy plate, It stated stainless steel on the label but it feels more like aluminum I honestly cant put my finger on which it could be.

Re: Overall Camping Gear Costs? - 06/15/11 12:51 PM

I would go for a metal plate rather than plastic as a metal plate can also be used for cooking such as baking with a reflector oven. The snowpeak titanium plates are excellent being corrosion resistant and extremely durable. The additional cost over a plastic plate may well be offset by the additional flexibility and long term use it will provide. Traditional bake ware is off course available at your local superstore but these tend to be over sized and heavy for backpacking.

You can also make some of your own gear as well to save money.

http://www.kayak2go.com/reflectoroven.PDF