Compact shoes for travelling

Posted by: bigreddog

Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 10:49 AM

Can anybody recommend a pair of mens shoes that will pack down super small? Travelling with hand baggage I often find myself wearing the same dress shoes for 3 days straight, and I'm sure someone must make some trainers that will squash down to minimal size. No need for them to be performance - just so I can take a stroll

Any ideas?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 10:55 AM

Old-style Converse maybe? I keep a pair or well-soled water shoes in my GHB. They're pretty small but the rubber makes them heavier than a converse-style shoe.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 11:09 AM

Had a similar thought: old style/classic "Keds" sneaker in the low cut style. Will crush down small, but still be good for walking etc.

I'm of the generation that grew up in sneakers, the basic simple canvas and thing rubber soles. Should work for you.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 02:00 PM

Sperry Topsider or clone?
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 03:16 PM

Thanks guys - Cons might be the solution.

Izzy - my dress shoes are pretty comfy, but I just find it nice to change them , and if I get to wear shorts or hit the gym even my sense of the aesthetic gets a bit offended by black leather lace ups :-)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 03:28 PM

Birkenstocks and Tevas do it!

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 04:21 PM

Birks and Tevas would be great! Especially in the heat. More support in Birks that old-style runners.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 06:47 PM

Even a fairly stout show that doesn't fold up well will occupy minimum space if you fill the interior with small stuff you are planning to carry along - socks, handkerchiefs, lip balm, etc.
Posted by: comms

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/10/11 09:27 PM

Not sure what you are using them for, sedentary or active, but Sanuks are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I wear the Hey Jutes
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/11/11 03:18 AM

You might consider any of the versions of the Japanese tabi sock/boot.

In its simplest and lightest form you get a cotton canvas form-fitted sock that is split to alloy you to slip on sandals over. The tabi socks I used had a double layer of canvas on the bottom and were suitable for padding around the house or airport.

There is also the jika-tabi which is a heavier version of the tabi but with a thinnish, but tough, rubber sole that is intended for outdoor wear. They are apparently quite popular with farmers and many construction workers.

jika-tabi can be anything from a form-fitted slipper suitable for going out to get he morning paper to very heavy units which pretty much have the same protective properties as a heavy work boot.

These are also marketed to westerners as 'ninja boots' and are sold at martial arts schools.

All of these are light weight, and fold into a compact package.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/11/11 04:17 AM

A brand new pair of Converse All-Stars,laces tied together & slung over your shoulder will look Cool,& Is common throughout the provinces!Plus you'll get alot of legroom Wherever you may go/be,Aristocrats wont sit next to someone totin'sneakers over their shoulder,lol!
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/11/11 04:58 AM

The 10$ faded glory sneakers that are converse like are decent so far they dont seem to do well with pants for me as my pant cuff usually ends up under my foot with them on but that could be a personal style issue with my pants and they do work good with shorts.

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/11/11 11:05 AM

I hear ya Frisket. I have a pair I like to wear when it gots hot outside but regular pants are too long and get under foot. They work well with capris/clamdiggers but that style is an aquired taste for men. wink
Posted by: speedemon

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/12/11 08:09 PM

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot

Saw a pair of those in the store the other day, was rather impressed with the look and feel of them, though I didn't try any on. They sound like what you're looking for.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Compact shoes for travelling - 06/12/11 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By: speedemon
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/Barefoot

Saw a pair of those in the store the other day, was rather impressed with the look and feel of them, though I didn't try any on. They sound like what you're looking for.

Friend of ours works at a local sports store that sells these and we had a conversation with her a few months ago on these shoes.

The Merrell Barefoot and similar brands of shoes are marketed toward a very specific consumer who likes the feel of the road/trail beneath their feet And yes, these shoes are compact, very light...and expensive (IMO anyway.)

On the other hand, there are trade offs when considering a shoe like the Barefoot. These trade offs include very little foot support that is okay for light trail or city walking and which does not entail carrying even low to moderately weighted packs and certainly not for people whose feet are not fully conditioned for very thin soled, minimal support shoes.

These trade offs must be taken into serious consideration if you plan to also utilize the shoes as part of your BOB or GHB bag.