Well-trained cats as survival aids

Posted by: dweste

Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 01:08 AM

Blame Sue for the idea; blame me for being the one who started a thread I am pretty sure belongs nowhere but "around the campfire." Have fun.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 01:21 AM

"Trained" and "cats". 1 of these things is not like the other. 1 of these things just doesn't belong.

Even when we think they're "trained", I think they are just toying with us.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 03:02 AM

What do they say - Dogs treat you like family; cats treat you like staff....
Posted by: Eric

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 03:16 AM

Growing up I saw an old, declawed female siamese cat attack two adult german shepherd dogs and chase them out of her territory. Those poor dogs had no idea what was chasing them but they were terrified! So yeah a well trained cat (is than an oxymoron?) could be a good survival aid.

-Eric
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 04:34 AM

When I was a kid there used to be a huge orange tom that got into he habit of terrorizing the neighborhood dogs. The dogs were all large breeds and it would jump on top of their shoulders, where the dog really can't do much about it, and dig with its claws like mad. The dogs would fight and thrash but couldn't get the cat off them. Once they were defeated and on the run the cat would ride them a bit and then jump off at its leisure. The dogs were terrorized and would run at the sight of the cat.

Then a family moved in with a small terrier which was not much bigger than the cat. The cat confronted the dog, bowed up, hissed, went to jump on the dog, and the dog twisted around, jumped, caught the cat in mid air and took to shaking it. That was the end of the orange tom.

Funny thing is the terrier was a friendly dog that got along well with other dogs and cats. Terriers were bred as rat and fox killers with quickness, aggressiveness, powerful jaws and quick reflexes.
Posted by: juhirvon

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 05:54 AM

hand warmer, companionship and pest control.

They are also pretty self sufficient, unless conditioned not to be by being pampered.

I would assume that apart from morale boosters and possible extra warmth, cats would be of much greater good at some type of long term homesteading-kind of survival.

If you have a long(ish)-haired cat, they tend to shed enough hair for you to be able to handspun enough yarn annually for a set of wool hats and mittens if not a full size wool shirt. The yarn is really warm but really hard to get even and quite weak if not mixed with other fibres as the hairs are slippery.

And if you comb the hair off of them they won't even decorate your carpets with furballs of their own.

-jh

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 06:19 AM

I have heard of cats deterring rodents from eating food stores, but I do not recall if such deterrence was ever 100% effective. And if the cats were 100% effective they would be depriving themselves of a food source, hmmm ....
Posted by: juhirvon

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 06:26 AM

It's not 100% unless you have too many cats.

They keep the pests under control, and hopefully outside.

-jh
Posted by: Susan

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 06:56 AM

As much as I love cats, I don't see them as highly trainable. They are better at training us, than we are at training them.

I would consider their highest value as what they do naturally: rodent control.

But the best mousers are allowed to stay with their mothers until they are three or four months old, so momcat can teach them to hunt properly.

The way that rats and mice multiply, I don't see how even the best rat cats could ever completely eliminate the population. Sites on the web say that one pair of rats and their offspring (50-70 per year) can produce a million rats in 18 months. I don't know if that is true, but I'm sure that they can produce a LOT.

And mice are probably pretty good at their multiplication tables, too. "The average lifespan of a mouse is 12 months. The young are born about 19 days after breeding and mature rapidly. A single female may have as many as eight litters per year, averaging five to six young each. By three months the young are independent and capable of reproduction."

And even if they did eliminate every mouse and rat, more would move in from the surrounding area. They're opportunistic, just like coyotes, raccoons, opossums, wolves, dogs and... cats.

But think of your food supply in a hardcore, long-term survival situation WITHOUT cats.

Sue
Posted by: comms

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 01:33 PM

Don't we see on the news, from time to time, some old lady living w/ 80 cats as a coping mechanism? So maybe it's a quantity of cats not quality of them.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
What do they say - Dogs treat you like family; cats treat you like staff....

and if cats could talk - they wouldn't.
Posted by: desolation

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 03:31 PM

I pity the mouse that comes into our house....
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 03:38 PM

My black cat also is the cul-de-sac monitor. If you don't live here, he knows it and growls at you. Granted, he's inside looking out a window, but still, good first line warning.

He doesn't like - in order - UPS, cars with loud stereos, FEDEX, the garbage truck, the recycle truck, and any car that doesn't belong in the neighborhood. He likes one black dog, and that's because the dog is about half nuts like he his.

I consider Oliver to be my first line warning system. The house alarm is second. Oh yeah, he hates the house alarm and the smoke detector, as well as the ice machine in the fridge.
Posted by: Chisel

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 04:12 PM

Quote:
If you have a long(ish)-haired cat, they tend to shed enough hair for you to be able to handspun enough yarn annually for a set of wool hats and mittens if not a full size wool shirt.

Loose cat hair may help supplement the lint from your dryer.

Just comb the cat daily , or ask Blast to do it for you , LOL , and collect the hair.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/02/11 09:19 PM

well trained cats...lol

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/14/11 05:49 PM

And they said it couldn't be done...

Hiking Florida to Argentina with a cat

Although I'm sure my cats would look at me and say, "You want me to do WHAT???"

Sue

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/14/11 07:40 PM

Nice, Sue, thanks for sharing!

Looks like a case of start 'em young.
Posted by: Pete

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/15/11 01:19 AM

Our cat already has a well-trained human ...
ME !!!

Pete #2
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/21/11 12:05 AM

Just read this and wondered if it was Blast:

In Cleveland, Texas (near Houston), a man had to be airlifted to an emergency trauma unit after losing a fight with a house cat. He was even armed with a knife as he took on the beast, but somehow the attacking cat caused him to lose his balance and fall on the blade. [YourHoustonNews.com, 5-10-2011]
Posted by: aloha

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/21/11 03:26 AM

I think Blast knows all about cat training. grin

Re: Well-trained cats as survival aids - 06/21/11 04:56 PM

Man airlifted after fight with cat

Poor cat was euthanized. Moron survived. Pity.

Sue