On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell

Posted by: bacpacjac

On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 11:45 AM

The lost trooper thread reinforced the idea that what's on our body might be all we end up with in a survival situation. I encouraged Glock-a-Roo to add pics of his to a PSK thread, and then thought that starting a new thread might be better. There are multiple PSK and EDC threads, I know, but this one is about what you wear on your body (not your pack) when you go off-roading.

Let's assume you're in the wilds, and somehow lose your pack. (Capsized canoe maybe?) What's in your pockets or on your belt is all you get. What do you have left?

I always EDC, on my body, a woven belt, Leatherman Kick with fire steel and mini mag, a lighter, and my necklace (made of 2 ft of cordage) with micro photon, harmonica and my kid's birthstone

[url=]EDC[/url]

My keychain with SAK, whistle, mini fauxton, monkey fist and (usually) a quarter (donated it yesterday so I need a new one.)
[url=]Keychain[/url]

When I go off-roading I remove my PSK (carried in a small Case Logic camera case) from my EDC purse and either put it in a cargo pocket or onto my belt. (It's Doug's plus a magnesium block, SAK, squeeze light, orange balloon, dryer lint, extra quick tinder, lrg ziplock freezer bag, mini bic, H20 tabs) I wear a baseball hat and sunglasses, add an LED flashlight to my belt and put an orange emerg poncho, bandana and a Cliff bar in my pockets. I also wear a lanyard with whistle and LED around my neck, and have my prescription glasses (in a hard case) in a cargo pocket.

[url=]Off-roading[/url]

I also always wear hiking shoes or boots, a watch, an extra hair elastic or two, and carry a full water bottle, either in a pocket or clipped to my belt by a carabiner.

EDIT: I also carry a little AMK FAK, with an added maxi pad, too. (I think it's called the "Hiker" kit. It's in a little orange carry case.)
Posted by: hikermor

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 12:09 PM

My keychain duplicates yours and on my body I carry a pouch that holds my Wave, an altoids tim w/firestarting goodies, and my cellphone. The belt that holds that has a stash compartment that holds cash. My shirt pocket contains a pen and small notebook.

But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen if you have any kind of experience and with all my misadventures over the years, it has never come close to happening to me. I have dealt with really inexperienced newbies who, panic stricken in a storm, threw away their packs, so they could run faster through the woods in order to evade an oncoming storm (??), eventually injuring themselves and initiating a SAR operation, but they were definitely bottom of the barrel types.

I was surprised that the trooped was carrying his tent in such a manner that it could slip off his pack. Packs should contain their contents inside and present a smooth uncluttered exterior, the better to glide through the brush.

The time to really check your EDC for self-sufficiency is when you are traveling by airplane, boat, or car. In all these situations, your pack will be on board, but not close at hand. An accident then automatically separates you from your gear, perhaps destroying it. In airplane crash survival, the need for quick exiting is highlighted, and you will very often wind up outside the wreckage with only your immediate EDC.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 12:19 PM

Agreed Hikermor. When travelling by foot, the likelyhood of losing your pack is low as long as your common sense is at least medium. wink

Air travel makes me shiver for just that reason, actually. Even a trip in the car could find you seperated from your gear. It's something I'm thinking about as I prepare to swith my daily commute from car to a combo of bike and train.

Best to just make a habit of carrying your bare essentials on your person.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor

I was surprised that the trooped was carrying his tent in such a manner that it could slip off his pack. Packs should contain their contents inside and present a smooth uncluttered exterior, the better to glide through the brush.

I dunno about that. Every external frame pack I ever used in Boy Scouts made me look like a steroetypical gypsy - stuff hanging off everywhere. Now, internal frames,I'd agree with you.

My current EDC:

Roughly left to right. The white remote stays in my room. Reflective belt, ipod nano, notebook with unit ID card, Kershaw pocket knife, chapstick, Surefire E2L w/ red filter (the E1L is in the pic), wallet, 4Gb thumb drive, Leatherman, CAT tourniquet, 14gauge angiocath, 1 magazine of ammo, Beretta M9 pistol, ID card and belt. Poptarts and water were just sitting on my bed.

Not in the picture are my bottle of Tabasco sauce and my 2 compressed bandages.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 05:19 PM

But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen if you have any kind of experience and with all my misadventures over the years, it has never come close to happening to me. I have dealt with really inexperienced newbies who, panic stricken in a storm, threw away their packs, so they could run faster through the woods in order to evade an oncoming storm (??), eventually injuring themselves and initiating a SAR operation, but they were definitely bottom of the barrel types.

You are correct, losing a pack should never happen. The only time I worry about this and always ensure that I have bit more then basic gear on my body is during river crossings. Crossing a river with a fully loaded multi-day pack strapped to your body can result in a disastrous outcome. I was taught long ago to loosen/unbuckle all straps before crossing in case of a slip and you end up in the drink. If this does happen, the backpack is easy to shed and may save your life.

Love/hate with this one. I like the ease of access of having some gear on the outside of the pack. However on the flip side, gear snagging on branches etc can be a pain...not to mention the possibility of the gear somehow coming loose and falling off. (Yes I have seen it happen.)

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 05:50 PM

I was surprised that the trooper was carrying his tent in such a manner that it could slip off his pack. Packs should contain their contents inside and present a smooth uncluttered exterior, the better to glide through the brush.

Agreed. Sort of. I use an internal frame pack (Jack Wolfskin Femme model) but often carry my tent strapped to the side. Before I secure the tent with the pack's built-in straps, I tie the cord of tent's stuff sack to the nylon webbing of the pack. If the straps should somehow loosen (not sure how they could) I'd certainly notice I'd dropped the tent because I'd be dragging it.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 08:19 PM

mine's scatttered in multiple places...specialized stuff repacked from AMK PSK

key ring... p38, Fenix LED EO1 light, pill fob with aspirin/ibuprofen

heavy duty 4x6 zip pouch (cargo pocket)..MRE hot beverage pouch,Katadyn ClO2 tabs,blood stopper gauze, 3x3 gauze, cloth knuckle bandage, signal mirror,3ft duct tape, 15ft mono for cordage, haven't replaced the povodine prep since recall, alcohol wipes, small assortment of ibuprofen/Tylenol (fever)/Immodium, cut down pen

in multi tool pouch ...brass whistle, Victorinox Farmer, 4 quarters taped in a strip, small ferro rod-needle-safety pin taped to a hacksaw section,tweezers, AAA battery, button compass taped to miniBic

Leatherman PS4, Benchmade Axis lock folder, KelTec 3AT,bandanna

you guys have become addictive!

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 09:39 PM

I love the orange Izzy. I think you're going to make an addict out of me yet. (Don't worry Les, it's a healthy addiction!)
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/21/11 11:50 PM

Orange scale material

Pre-shaped, unfinished blanks for making scales.
Posted by: comms

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/23/11 02:10 AM

My opinion comes based on the LBE I wore in the Army. Still love that concept and have tried numerous times to duplicate using civilian gear for lighter weight, better coloring and fit with civilian packs.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/23/11 06:27 AM

I carry a tweaked version of Doug Ritter PSK, minus some things that are not really that vital in my location (signal mirror, paper, pencil, sewing kit and fish hooks), plus a BIC, the DR mk5 knife, a LED light and a wire saw (long term test ongoing, results still pending). And all wrapped in gorilla tape - can't have too much gorilla tape wink

The PSK rides along a thin disposable plastic poncho and a heavy duty garbage bag. It all fits into one of the thigh pockets of the cargo pants I use whenever I go somewhere interesting. This pant also has a tool pocket that holds a Mora 840 knife.

This setup is a re-tweak of the PSK discussed here. Contents are basically the same, but I went back to the DR pouch.

My keyring includes a quark mini AA flashlight, a scraper/screwdriver/poking thingy and the tiniest possible pocket knife I've seen (spyderco bug).

EDIT: My cell phone slips into a water proof pouch and then into the cargo pocket on my other thigh.

My anorack (wind and water proof, similar to goretex) has a whistle. Usually there's also a multitool and a tiny 1st aid kit in my pockets. I say usually, because the multitool and 1st aid kit migrate between different uses and different pieces of clothing, so they might easily be somewhere else when I need them.

I am very happy with this setup. The most basic things are permanently in one of the cargo plus tool pockets of my outdoors jeans - just put that on and my most basic PSK and shelter items are with me.

I am not really that concerned about loosing my pack (which, among other things, usually contains my bigger PSK and a bivy bag) - but I frequently will put it down somewhere (at a camp or picknick site). I may then wander off exploring, picking firewood or whatever. On a nice sunny day my anorack / shell jacket will be in my pack, too. So I am a bit concerned about being caught by the elements and not being able to make it back to my pack and my jacket (lost, injuries, wandered too far off). But as long as I literary keep my pants on I always have some protection against the elements (poncho, thrash bag) a knife and a PSK.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/23/11 10:05 AM

But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen if you have any kind of experience and with all my misadventures over the years, it has never come close to happening to me.

I could see my pack being lost because of an aggressive bear. Because there are a lot of them here, and the woods are very close-in around you. a bear on or near the trail can smell food in a backpack. If you came upon a bear suddenly, is possible that you might have to abandon your pack if the bear becomes too interested. If for no other reason than to make it easier to climb a tree or to distract the bear while you get away. It is possible the bear would just maul up the pack for the food and leave the rest, but it might also drag the whole pack off into thicker cover where I wouldn't want to go in after it. When hiking in the deep woods, I keep my food in a separate little nylon stuff sack in my pack on top of my gear so I can grab it and throw it if I have time to.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/23/11 10:26 AM

Whether I am hunting or backpacking or just hiking, I always have at least the following basic items in my pocket or attached to my belt when in the woods:

A paracord belt lanyard with:
Fox whistle
shrink wrapped flint
compass
mini bic shrink wrapped with flint striker

Leatherman Wave or Supertool

cell phone

AA Maglite

a belt knife (Mora MG640 Clipper, or Green River 4215, or Western W-36)

XL bandana

All of the above is attached, the rest of my kit is in the pack or pouch depending on climate, area, and activity.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/24/11 04:58 AM

But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen if you have any kind of experience and with all my misadventures over the years, it has never come close to happening to me.

I can relate a couple experiences of “losing” a pack:

First was in some fairly open, flat (featureless) woodland. A pleasant day, but quite a gusty wind rustling the trees.
A member of the party headed away from the small group for some Number 2, and because of the open nature of the ground, went quite a long way, leaving the pack behind (of course). When finished the business, the person stood up and found themselves disoriented. They could not see the main group and weren’t sure which way to go ! After some time we realised it was taking too long, and walked in the direction - we knew only the basic direction the person headed in. Although we were calling, then blowing our whistles, they could not be heard effectively because of the wind (and a bit of panic too I suspect). Eventually they heard us and then saw us, so the lost member was found and all was well. But it was a lesson on many fronts, including the need for an “on-body” kit. This experience was with a competent adult who was simply not thinking when heading off for a very mundane task.

-Disaster happens when you least expect it, so don’t get caught with your pants down !

Second time was a little different, (actually this was a close friend of mine), was camped in the wilds, but not too far from the vehicle (half day walk, about to head off for a few days). They pitched camp, had dinner and put stuff back into their packs and put the packs into the vestibule of the tent. Next morning one of the packs was gone and there were several inches of snow. The looked about, but couldn’t see any sign of the pack or how it had been removed from the vestibule, and no tracks in the snow. A mystery ! They reported the loss to the ranger and police and several months later the pack was found by some hikers in the general area where it was lost, but empty of contents. The only explanation anyone could come up with was that an animal dragged it off in the night. A bit un-satisfactory, but the end result was a lost pack in the wilderness.

They were with other people so there was equipment available etc etc, but had they been several days into a walk it would have been very inconvenient. Having told that story, I’m not sure that on on-body kit would have been helpful, but it shows that people (with brains) have lost their packs !
Posted by: jshannon

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/24/11 01:09 PM

I've heard of people losing packs over a cliff or bear hauling them off.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/25/11 03:24 AM

I think a broader point is that a On-Body kit is not just something that is needed for emergency's only but also for simple daily items. Face it most internal frame packs suck at pockets that are easily accessible by hand while being worn. And after market attachments are expensive.

So instead of taking off my pack each time I want a bar, seeds, skin protection, compass, whistle, mirror, map, pen, knife, etc, it is on me in such a way as I can reach it with my hands without having to be super flexible or asking someone behind me to help.

so its not just a matter of worst case scenario but also 'keeping things in a convenient location on my body' scenario. Heck I've got a Mountainsmith Lumbar pack with Strapettes that I occasionally wear front facing w/ pack & w/o cause it convenient to get into.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/25/11 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: comms
I think a broader point is that a On-Body kit is not just something that is needed for emergency's only but also for simple daily items.
So instead of taking off my pack each time I want a bar, seeds, skin protection, compass, whistle, mirror, map, pen, knife, etc, it is on me in such a way as I can reach it with my hands without having to be super flexible or asking someone behind me to help.

That's a good thought, but most of the stuff people have put forward in this thread seems "emergency" related rather than convenience.

Another way to look at the body-kit is that it is something which you take with you where and when you may not bother with a full pack, so its really a PSK,
but not necessarily a single “kit”, bag or box, but a “distribution” of equipment, perhaps some on a key ring and some on a belt, neck, wallet, pocket etc.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/25/11 08:18 AM

It varies. I use my flashlight, SAK, or Wave on an almost daily basis. On the other hand, I have never used the whistle on my key chain. I rarely have to resort to my emergency cash, but it is there just in case.
Posted by: JOEL

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/25/11 02:12 PM

Hi.

This is the micro EDC I wear around mi neck 7 days/24 hours: In the duct tape pouch there are a few all weather matches, a scratcher and a few tablets for water treatment. Note that the duct tape may be used as fire starter.

I also have a "classical" EDC in a belt pouch but it's not with me all the time...

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/25/11 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
Originally Posted By: comms
I think a broader point is that a On-Body kit is not just something that is needed for emergency's only but also for simple daily items.

That's a good thought, but most of the stuff people have put forward in this thread seems "emergency" related rather than convenience.

Another way to look at the body-kit is that it is something which you take with you where and when you may not bother with a full pack, so its really a PSK,
but not necessarily a single “kit”, bag or box, but a “distribution” of equipment, perhaps some on a key ring and some on a belt, neck, wallet, pocket etc.

Don't get me wrong Aussie, my On-Body system(s) hold critical items in the event I am separated from my pack and I don't mean that its necessarily lost. Heck separated means it might just be on the other side of the camp or in a tent someone is sleeping in and what I'd need is stuffed somewhere inside it, like a blade or lighter, light, map, bug juice, sunglasses, etc. So for me On-Body also means anything I might need is on my person. I'll use anything from a separate Camelbak pack, to a modified LBE set up, to a fanny pack. Generally anything larger than a fanny pack is going to have extra space for comfort items as well so why not use it for such on the trail?

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/25/11 11:03 PM

Totally agree.
I like to try and keep water and some quick snacks handy (ie not in the pack) whenever possible. And items like a map, compass or anything else which requires quick or ready access. It is a real pain to have to take a pack off and on to get access to something simple.

In cold weather people often just want to plod on, and if its wet no one likes to open up their pack, so having ready access is ideal.

When its hot weather, I've noticed that everyone drinks more water if they can quickly swig from a bottle which they have ready access to, rather than have to access a pack. I often keep a bottle for ready access, and a more in reserve in the pack.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/26/11 01:41 AM

Great examples of scenarios when you would be seperated from your pack, or simply wouldn't want to take your pack off your back, gang!

Here's another: When I hike with my son and/or the Beaver Scouts, somebody always seems to need a bandaid or hand sanitizing. I don't want to stop and open my pack for their tiny boo boos and oopsies, so I always keep a small FAK and mini purelle on my belt or in a pocket, along with a water bottle in a cargo pocket or fanny pack.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/26/11 04:52 AM

Aussie, bacpacjac...+1
Posted by: haertig

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/26/11 06:10 AM

I guess first I have my EDC, which goes with me everywhere, in town, in the house, on hikes. When motoring around town I usually add my bail-out bag at least to the car, if I'm not outright carrying it. Tons and tons of stuff in that bag.

When I'm hiking, I suppliment (not replace) my EDC with a mini PSK in my pocket. And also with lots of survival stuff in my backpack. LOTS of stuff. I am certainly NOT an "ultra light hiker"!

But since we're talking stuff carried "on you", that would be my EDC in urban environments and my EDC plus mini PSK during outdoor adventures (hiking, canoeing, fishing, etc.)

My EDC is knife, flashlight, handgun, spare mag, watch, wallet and cellphone. These items will ALWAYS be on me. EVERYWHERE.

When I go hiking, etc., the mini PSK gets added to my pocket. It's an Altoids tin stuffed/wrapped with all kinds of stuff. I decided what to put in it based on these ETS forums. The most critical ingredients in the mini PSK are signaling, firestarting, paracord, duct tape type stuff. I don't need to list the specifics - they are the standard things that everybody here can spit out in alphabetical and reverse-alphabetical order in their sleep. I guess also "on me" when hiking will be sunglasses and a hat.

Everything else, I carry in a bag or backpack. And in theory could become seperated from.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/26/11 10:18 AM

It varies. I use my flashlight, SAK, or Wave on an almost daily basis. On the other hand, I have never used the whistle on my key chain. I rarely have to resort to my emergency cash, but it is there just in case.

I could have written that same sentence!
Posted by: haertig

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/26/11 05:52 PM

I've only used my emergency cash once - to buy a hand made wool sweater at a llama festival where the vendor wouldn't take credit cards.

And yes, I'll go to great lengths to keep my marriage loving and happy. So no wise cracks about the entertainment value of a "llama festival"!
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/27/11 01:19 AM

Colin Fletcher has an 'office" on a strap of his backpack - really just a small pocket at chest level for a note book. Could be used for gps or camera as well
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/27/11 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: haertig
And yes, I'll go to great lengths to keep my marriage loving and happy. So no wise cracks about the entertainment value of a "llama festival"!

Been there, done that. Does your wife reciprocate? For example, mine will not go with me to gun shows.
Posted by: Glock-A-Roo

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/31/11 07:26 PM

Sorry BacPacJac, I didn't follow through on your excellent suggestion. I will try to get some pics up soon. BTW, shouldn't this thread be in a different sub-forum, since The Campfire is "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"?

But I have never understood losing your pack when hiking in the wilds. It just shouldn't happen

A couple of real-world incidents:

- This guy had his pack stripped off of him in an avalanche. The promo I linked shows this 'dramatically' but if you watch the episode, he specifically describes losing his pack in the event, and he had almost no gear on his person.

- My Wilderness EMT instructor works seasonally for a group that does jungle expeditions. His boss was on one such expedition in the Amazon when he needed to step into the bush for '#2 time'. He left his backpack with the group, went off-trail for a ways to take care of business... and became completely disoriented. He wound up being lost in the jungle with almost no gear for 3 days. Miraculously while wandering around he bumped into a military group and they saved him, no joke. Company policy now calls for a simple belt system with a survival pouch & water bottle attached. If you leave the pack, the belt rig must be on you. This goes for everyone on the trip, both employees and clients.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/31/11 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
BTW, shouldn't this thread be in a different sub-forum, since The Campfire is "A place for Chit Chat about life or subjects of interest other than Survival or Emergency Preparedness"?

You're probably right Glock. My bad!

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 05/31/11 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

My Wilderness EMT instructor works seasonally for a group that does jungle expeditions. His boss was on one such expedition in the Amazon when he needed to step into the bush for '#2 time'. He left his backpack with the group, went off-trail for a ways to take care of business... and became completely disoriented. He wound up being lost in the jungle with almost no gear for 3 days. Miraculously while wandering around he bumped into a military group and they saved him, no joke. Company policy now calls for a simple belt system with a survival pouch & water bottle attached. If you leave the pack, the belt rig must be on you. This goes for everyone on the trip, both employees and clients.

Well thats the second incident of #2 pack loss so far. I think I will clip a whistle and small compass onto the family #2 bag; the kit already has lighters and matches in it.

Yes everyone has a small EDC which should contain these things (and more), but thats what preping is about, the what if situations ...

-A night trip (I've had people "disoriented" making a night trip before, not lost, but just a little worried)

-and the classic: "but I'm just going over there, there's no way I'll ever get lost, I can see the: camp, car, fire, phone tower, etc " (Spoken as the last words ever heard (almost), like in the example from Glock)

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/01/11 12:21 AM

Maybe I'm weird, but when I disappear into the bushes for #2, my pack goes with me. I do generally take it off when I am actually performing, however.

Even if pack loss is rare, it is probably a good idea to carry pocketable EDC gear.
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/01/11 01:35 PM

Even if pack loss is rare, it is probably a good idea to carry pocketable EDC gear.

I agree. And wasn't the venerable original PSP designed for this purpose? A pocket-sized survival kit that could be carried on your person and go wherever you go. Hmmm, now I am starting to sound like an advertisement. No affiliations of course.
Posted by: DaveT

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/01/11 02:46 PM

Here's what's on me pretty much every day, wherever I go.

My EDC

On top is an old Arc AAA on a bead chain - I wear it pretty much everywhere.

Car keys - I usually only carry the larger - the second set is to my wife's car, but two sets of key fobs is...tough to pocket.

The smaller set has a cut-down Fox 40 whistle.

The larger set of keys has a Victorinox Alox Classic, a Photon Freedom, and a small flat screwdriver (it was my dad's).

In the left column, a Nitecore D-10 1xAA flashlight with an Eneloop, then a Victorinox Alox Farmer, then a Mini RSK Mk 1.

Finally, a mini Bic and a handkerchief.

My most-used items are, in order: Arc AAA, Nitecore flashlight, the reamer tool on the Farmer.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/01/11 09:45 PM

Two poss. scenarios - Your canoe dumps in the rapids or day hiking away from car or camp
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/01/11 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Two poss. scenarios - Your canoe dumps in the rapids or day hiking away from car or camp

if you are in a canoe and don't have PSK on your person at all times, then you are not ETS.

As for day hiking, carrying the ten (minimum) essentials is a must, regardless if you are only planning to hike one or 10 miles.
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/05/11 06:03 PM

This is a very minimal rig I have for urban carry around town everyday. Sort of an "I've lost everything on me but this ring, get me home kit". Not intended for wildnerness carry, so I skipped firestarters...etc. (which are in my small EDC pack)

Victorinox Cadet
Capsule with emergency cash and list of friends and family's home/cell phones, with "800" number and access code for a pre-paid long distance calling card, to use from any phone if I've lost my cell.

Light
Whistle
Spare car key
key to secure box in my car that has more cash and gear

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
Capsule with emergency cash and list of friends and family's home/cell phones, with "800" number and access code for a pre-paid long distance calling card, to use from any phone if I've lost my cell...

...key to secure box in my car that has more cash and gear

Great ideas there!

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 03:17 PM

funny enough I was left "stranded" with my training partner at a lake parking lot in the Superstitions last month. Someone stole his bag while we were swimming a couple miles and his keys were in it. No cell service but the Marina 3/4 mile away let us use their phone. We weren't sure if the thieves would come back for the SUV so one stayed while the other went to make the call for help.

Both our phones (w/ contact #s) were stuck in the SUV. Plus my complete EDC kit and backpack. I didn't need anything at the time and didn't see the need to bust a window.

The only phone numbers we knew for immediate assistance were our spouses. No buddies or kids. Took an hour to get a hold of one of them to get us. We were stuck waiting for an extra key for 3 hours.

We could have easily run out, 14 miles to town, if no one could get us but didn't know if the thieves would come back for the SUV. Instead we had a push up contest, 10 push ups a minute for 60 minutes.

Oh yes, we had a conversation about having an extra key or hiding it. And thanks to the photo above, I'll get a little pill fob for my swim bucket and add some cash and Phone #.

Long story short, thanks for the reminder.
Posted by: Alex

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 04:21 PM

Capsule with emergency cash...

I've managed to fit only one bill into a similar pill fob on my keychain. So it's Benjamin. What's in yours?
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 05:28 PM

Everyday on-person carry:
Spyderco Salt1 pocket knife
Keys
Micro-carabiner with Leatherman Squirt S4, P-38 can opener, Micro ferrocium rod, Photon Freedom microlight
Assorted memory cards and sticks
Electronic security key
Comb
Pencil, space pen
Smart phone
Bluetooth headset
Fenix P3D flashlight
Reading glasses /w cleaning cloth
Scott-e-Vest (sometimes I thread headphones into the vest)
Not shown: wallet; ID on neck lanyard; watch; belt /w hidden money pocket
[img]https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2049748692253.124307.1500542538&l=0757d6b584[/img]

This stuff doesn't really count because it's not on my person but it is always nearby. There are all kinds of reasons why I could be separated from my pack, especially in an urban environment.
Leather gloves
Survival kit (modified AMK psk)
First aid kit (meds included benadryl,lotradine,loperamide hydrochloride, ASA, Tums)
Sunscreen, bug repllant (sample sizes)
WMA Wilderness Medicine field guide
Storm butane lighter
20' duct tape wrapped on plastic card
Fox-40 whistle
Suunto Compass
GPS (Garmin 62s) /w attachment clips
Geocaching related stuff
Camera /w extra AA batteries
Phone charger
BlackBerry (work)
Leatherman wave /w bit kit
Rain jacket
Notebook /w pencil
Cheque book
Calculator
Assorted pens/pencils/markers/erasers
More spare AA batteries
Princeton Tec Apex II headlamp
Platypus hydration bladder & tube (not carried today)
Temagani fixed blade knife (not usually carried but today I did)
8X25 binoculars (not usually carried but today I did)
Tilley hat /w another comb in hidden pocket
Note: due to it being Tick season, I sprayed my pack, hat and outdoor clothes with permethrin.

Note: I carry 3 sources of light and at least 3 blades types because I like backups and versatility.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 05:32 PM

I have an alternate method for hiding spare cash. I believe it runs in the neighbourhood of $200 Cdn, ($205 in equivalent US) in various denominations.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 05:35 PM

There is a concealed key box that can be inserted into a 2" hitch receiver. I don't have the link to the manufacturer's website but I understand it was quite expensive ($80ish). It would be good for your particular situation.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 07:19 PM

Glad everything turned out ok, Comms! Just goes to show you that anything can happen at any time.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Glad everything turned out ok, Comms! Just goes to show you that anything can happen at any time.

lol. thanks. it was sort of a Greek comedy. I forgot my SPOT2, which would have been in my pack in the SUV anyway. We both forgot our RoadID which had our spouses phone numbers, so we each took a turn walking to/fro the marina rather than one of us making both calls. We both saw the two guys (we believe stole the pack) just standing on a fishing pier w/o any gear. My spider sense was tingling but didn't say anything. In hindsight so was my buddys as we talked later. We only had one shirt, (mine, as his was stolen) so we had to switch off wearing it to the marina to look more presentable when asking for phone help, no public phones.

I think I have put like 5 comments on this thread. This might be my favorite thread on here right now. I hope more people list their On-Body Personal Survival Gear.
Posted by: Alex

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/07/11 11:11 PM

There are many threads of the similar kind scattered through the forum. OK, I'll just cross reference my recent stuff here (click images for a better quality zoom in).

My survival necklace

My belt kit

Keychain

Besides the keys you can spot:

• Flashlight with neodymium magnet glued on the back.
  • Pills fob with emergency money.
  • USB T_Flash Reader with 8Gb card.
  • Steel Pen in magnetic holder.
  • Glow in the dark stick.
  • Length of paracord, with strong rings on the ends and braided long enough to work as a weapon (swing, block hands, strangle). Or to transform it to a necklace.

Car keys with remote are detachable.

"Wallet" or cards holder including emergency plastic car key.

Phone data/Charging cable is always in my pocket.

And finally my unique bone knife and PDA stylus. Always sharp and always on me:

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Alex
And finally my unique bone knife and PDA stylus. Always sharp and always on me:

Love it !
Also excellent for non-verbal gentures and de-clogging noses !
Posted by: ireckon

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 04:28 AM

Nice pics...

The only unusual thing my pic would have is a signal mirror, which I often use as a regular mirror. I see most folks don't carry around a mirror directly on their person. I'll post if I get motivated.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ireckon
Nice pics...

The only unusual thing my pic would have is a signal mirror, which I often use as a regular mirror. I see most folks don't carry around a mirror directly on their person. I'll post if I get motivated.

I almost forgot to include one in my son's kit Ireckon. Thanks for the reminder!

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 02:33 PM

There are many threads of the similar kind scattered through the forum. OK, I'll just cross reference my recent stuff here (click images for a better quality zoom in).

You're right Alex. We're addicted to EDC, PSK and FAK threads around here! This one has a specific focus to it though: What's on your body when you're in the wilderness? Many of us EDC different stuff in urban and wilderness environments, and even though we mostly carry packs overflowing with gear when we're in the wilds, what's actually on our body could mean the difference between life and death, or at least a comfortable wait for rescue. (As proven by Comms' story!)
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 02:47 PM

I carry a used hanky,
keys for the truck if I can find them,
my walle and a watch if I don't forget them
and a Victorinox lock blade folder (Backpacker model)

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: mpb
I carry a used hanky,

LOL! I have to ask - is a "used" hanky a secret strategy?
Posted by: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 05:41 PM

Capsule with emergency cash...

I've managed to fit only one bill into a similar pill fob on my keychain. So it's Benjamin. What's in yours?

A $20.00, around these parts, anything over that, say a $50.00 or $100.00 bill, gets dicey on where they will accept it.

Posted by: Paul810

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 05:52 PM

I used to keep a $20 bill in the glovebox/storage box of all my vehicles in case I needed cash for gas or whatever. Then, the other day, I noticed it in the glovebox of my daily driver and thought to myself.....jeez, a $20 won't even buy me 5 gallons of fuel anymore. crazy

Now I put $50 in $10 bills in there instead.

Who would have thought Emergency Preparedness would have to be adjusted for inflation? grin

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul810
I used to keep a $20 bill in the glovebox/storage box of all my vehicles in case I needed cash for gas or whatever.

I keep $5 in quarters and a Mobil Speedpass in my car. As long as I can find a Mobil station I can buy gas with that. I can also buy food and sundries at Mobil stations that have an attached convenience store.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I used to keep a $20 bill in the glovebox/storage box of all my vehicles in case I needed cash for gas or whatever.

I keep $5 in quarters and a Mobil Speedpass in my car. As long as I can find a Mobil station I can buy gas with that. I can also buy food and sundries at Mobil stations that have an attached convenience store.

The only issue with that is that, 1. It only works with Exxon/Mobile/Esso stations. 2. It requires the gas stations computer system to be working to complete transactions.

I ran into that problem up in New York State when I was snowmobiling. A snow storm had knocked out the phone/data service in the area. Everybody had power, so they could still provide goods and services, but all transactions had to be done in cash. It was like that for a good three days, which really would have screwed us if I was only relying on credit/debit cards.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/08/11 07:00 PM

The only issue with that is that, 1. It only works with Exxon/Mobile/Esso stations. 2. It requires the gas stations computer system to be working to complete transactions.

I ran into that problem up in New York State when I was snowmobiling. A snow storm had knocked out the phone/data service in the area. Everybody had power, so they could still provide goods and services, but all transactions had to be done in cash. It was like that for a good three days, which really would have screwed us if I was only relying on credit/debit cards.

When I'm traveling I always carry cash to buy enough gas and sammiches to get home. But I keep it in my wallet, not in my car or in a pill fob.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/09/11 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Originally Posted By: mpb
I carry a used hanky,

LOL! I have to ask - is a "used" hanky a secret strategy?

The hanky contains his emergency glue! grin

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/09/11 07:24 PM

LOL@Glock! That's funny. A little gross, but funny!
Posted by: kevingg

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/10/11 01:25 AM

good stuff there bacpac
Posted by: bigreddog

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/10/11 05:37 AM

Usual EDC (i.e. working or pootling about at home):

Always -
SAK midnight manager on keyring
Torch on keyring (photon or small Fenix)
Cellphone
Wallet with at least £100 in cash (about $150 I guess), cards and too many receipts

99% of the time a second knife - rotating between SAKs and othe legal edcs (currently a Boker Subcom and a Spydie kiwi are getting the most mileage, both as slippies)

Heading even slightly outdoors - i.e. walking dogs out in woods - knives get upgraded to a Byrd wings and a big SAK (usually the Champ), and I add a whistle, space blanket and disposable poncho (last year my local supermarket was selling little ziploc bags with a space blanket and disposable orange poncho in them, and I got them at 30cents each, so I have a few and just drop them into pockets when out and about)

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/10/11 10:57 AM

Great deal Red! (Think I might work on something like that for a Scouts fundraiser.)
Posted by: barbakane

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/10/11 12:52 PM

Hey "comms"....I use duct tape and tape a spare key onto my car frame in case this happens (again)....locked my keys in the car once, along with my infant son...but the a/c was on...I called my sister in law to get my spare key from my brother...all the time I was entertaining my son...people driving by thought I was nuts, but who cares, really.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/10/11 01:57 PM

hidden key....although my Explorer has a touch key entry, and have an extra key stashed inside, I still hide a key externally...most vehicles have holes in the frame, hidden but accessable from the outside... use a stainless or brass bolt and wing nut to keep from rusting

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/10/11 04:37 PM

You've convinced me that today is the day I hide a key to my car on my car. I stupidly only have one engine key so I'll head to the dealership today to get a couple of new ones cut. Procrastination over!
Posted by: 7point82

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/11/11 10:43 AM

Many newer cars with push button ignition can't be started with just the key. The key will get you into the car if the remote fails but there is no way to start the car without the remote.

You could buy a spare remote, seal it up and tape it under the vehicle somewhere but I wonder what the odds are that it would still be in working order when you need it.

Re: On-Body Personal Survival Gear Show and Tell - 06/11/11 11:00 AM

Thanks 7.82. Good reminder for a number of people.

For better or worse DH and I don't have to worry about that. Our vehicles are too old. ('91 Civic and a '92 pick-up) Remote entry probably costs more than they do. Older cars are great when you've got PT greese monkey and his protege who like working on them. (That our yearly insurance costs more than they did, not so much. Gotta have liaility though!)