The End of the World

Posted by: bacpacjac

The End of the World - 05/20/11 01:07 AM

Apparently it starts tomorrow? I hope the cable doesn't go out. I'd like to see it coming.

Twinkies and popcorn are on the menu at out house. Any recommendations for apocolypse movies? Whats your favourite? DH has requested "Apocolypse Now" and DS wants "Zombieland".
Posted by: Bugg

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 01:34 AM

Resident evil, any of them really.. Not sure if they are right for DS or not though, that's your call! Lol
Or there is I am Legend, but that's heavy stuff.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 10:04 AM

I think I would just watch "Casablanca" one more time. We'll always have Paris.....

or maybe "Lord of the Rings" trilogy..
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 12:44 PM

Armageddon? Deep Impact? Night of the Living Dead? 28 Days? Of course you can always add your favorite non-end-of-the-world movie to the list as well. Don't forget a generator and some gas on hand so you can watch the end of the movie if "it" comes sooner than expected.
Posted by: Lono

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 01:21 PM

Panic in the Year Zero. Then we're going bowling.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 01:37 PM

On the Beach (1959)

or

Things to come (1936)

or

When the wind blows (1986)

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 03:28 PM

Great suggestions gang! It's a long weekend with a rainy forecast! I've got about a gazillion hiking sticks to sand for for our Beaver Scouts this weekend and these will be great entertainment as I do. Thanks!;)
Posted by: Susan

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 06:51 PM

Those are too depressing. Even Bambi is too depressing.

Speaking of animals, the real reason that I'm sure this whole thing will be a no-show (besides it being predicted a dozen times before with the same outcome) is the planet and the animals. If this is a God thing, I can't see why he would rip up the whole world just to eliminate a lousy almost-7 billion people. That would be waste of the first order, very sloppy, and totally unnecessary.

All He would have to do is eliminate all the people with a beam of light or something. That would leave a nice, clean (well, sort of) planet where the animals could live naturally. Or, He could try to do a better job if he wanted to try again with people.

IMHO, if he wanted to start over, here are my choices for improvement:

1. Greed and meanness are not assets, and few get past them, so don't include crap like that, even if it was a joke or some kind of stupid test.
2. Find a better way for women to have children than a monthly period, or people will suspect you have a mean streak.
3. Make the pits in the mangoes and avocados smaller.
4. Cacao (chocolate) should grow in all climates. Tie the recipes to the bushes so the new people can get started with it right away. Apples are fine, but they're not chocolate.

But if I'm wrong about the human-elimination part of this, be sure to put the pets outside with their food. Probably a good idea to leave the gate open, too.

Sue
Posted by: MDinana

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Those are too depressing. Even Bambi is too depressing.

Speaking of animals, the real reason that I'm sure this whole thing will be a no-show (besides it being predicted a dozen times before with the same outcome) is the planet and the animals. If this is a God thing, I can't see why he would rip up the whole world just to eliminate a lousy almost-7 billion people. That would be waste of the first order, very sloppy, and totally unnecessary.

All He would have to do is eliminate all the people with a beam of light or something. That would leave a nice, clean (well, sort of) planet where the animals could live naturally. Or, He could try to do a better job if he wanted to try again with people.

1. Greed and meanness are not assets, and few get past them, so don't include crap like that, even if it was a joke or some kind of stupid test.
2. Find a better way for women to have children than a monthly period, or people will suspect you have a mean streak.
4. Cacao (chocolate) should grow in all climates. Tie the recipes to the bushes so the new people can get started with it right away. Apples are fine, but they're not chocolate.

But if I'm wrong about the human-elimination part of this, be sure to put the pets outside with their food. Probably a good idea to leave the gate open, too.

Sue

I dunno Sue... this is the guy that thought flooding the world was a good idea. I don't think "collateral damage" is in his vocabulary. Not like he has a Congress or media to explain his actions to.
Posted by: bsmith

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 07:22 PM

hey susan,

they've got some of the animals "dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, and small caged mammals." and "[Please note: we can now offer rescue services for horses, camels, llamas and donkeys in NH,VT, ID and MT]" covered here: eternal earthbound pets

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 08:40 PM

Quote:
they've got some of the animals "dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, and small caged mammals." and "[Please note: we can now offer rescue services for horses, camels, llamas and donkeys in NH,VT, ID and MT]" covered here: eternal earthbound pets

I'm not really clear on what is supposed to happen. Some say a bunch of perfect people (yeah, sure) are going to be taken to Heaven by Jesus. Some people add that that event will be followed by the Apocalypse, where the world will be destroyed. So, I'm confused and don't know which way to jump.

I can mostly guarantee that I'm not among the 144,000, so does that mean that I can stay home and take care of my pets? Or are all the rest of us going to be wiped out, including the animals?

MDinana said, "I dunno Sue... this is the guy that thought flooding the world was a good idea. I don't think "collateral damage" is in his vocabulary."

Maybe He likes overkill, but with the Flood, I still never understood where the drain was, or where the water went.

Here's some definitions and possible info, but it still isn't totally clear to me: Doomsday Facts (or fictions)

Sue

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 08:49 PM

says here:
2011 AD

On May 21st, Judgment Day will begin and the rapture (the taking up into heaven of God’s elect people) will occur at the end of the 23-year great tribulation.

On October 21st, the world will be destroyed by fire (7000 years from the flood; 13,023 years from creation).

i just attempted to check with the originator's website - not working. shocked

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 09:05 PM

Sue

LOL! I LOVE the way you think, Sue!
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 09:17 PM

MDinana said, "I dunno Sue... this is the guy that thought flooding the world was a good idea. I don't think "collateral damage" is in his vocabulary."

Please be advised that a proactive,multifaceted, panspecific program was instituted prior to the Great Inundation. I believe NOAA was the lead on this. Known as Animal Rescue Knowledge (ARK), it was a short term mitigation measure (approximately 40 days and 40 nights) designed to insure continuity of significant earthly ecosystems - "Into the ARK, two by two."

Later press releases characterized the program as a success....

Re: The End of the World - 05/20/11 09:19 PM

laugh
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 12:01 AM

A Perfect time for a Twilight Zone Marathon,End it with "To Serve Man" episode!
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 09:37 PM

Well ... its 1830 here and so far, so good.

I'll give it to 2000. I figure he might have been talking central time and forgotten about DST. I think I can afford to be generous.

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 09:44 PM

Almost anti-climactic. Almost. wink

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 10:51 PM

You know, I forgot today was the 21st until I came to this thread.

It's 4:43 here (1643), and I just started some homemade rice pudding, which usually takes about 2 hrs, all told. So, what's supposed to be the time lag between the Rapture and beginning of the apocalypse? Do you think there will be time for it to cool?

And, if the 144,000 are going to Heaven, and the rest of us are going to 'ell, I thought it would be a nice touch for all of the rest of us to take something to barbecue, and some good sauce.

Sue

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 11:02 PM

LOL@ Sue! Great idea! Could you bring some extra spoons too please?

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 11:06 PM

I can bring some extra spoons, but I heard somewhere that there is an awful shortage of coffee mugs, so everyone will have to bring their own.

Sue

Re: The End of the World - 05/21/11 11:22 PM

LOL!! @ Sue and Izzy. Brilliant!