Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out.

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 02:49 AM

No need for long term planning because the 'end-of-days' comes on on May 21 at 6PM local time. Which is kind of a good thing because I have jury duty on the 31st. Knowing when it is going to happen, and that I'm not going to make it no matter what I do, after 153 days the entire universe is destroyed so those who aren't airlifted out are doomed, is actually quite calming. I always found the mystery over such issues to be bothersome so being able to ink it in on the calender is good.

http://www.salon.com/news/religion/index.html?story=/news/feature/2011/05/10/rapture_may_21

Suggested, stolen from:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/05/for_your_end-of-the-world_plan.php

As a favor to me, I've always wanted to be wealthy, even if it is just for a day or two, if you could send all the money you won't be needing after the 21st to me on the 20th it would let me fulfill my dream before it all goes south.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 04:35 AM

Hmmm...the end of days falls on my birthday! I may as well treat myself to a few extra drinks- there won't be a morning after to be hung over! grin
Posted by: bws48

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 11:39 AM

Well, it does considerably simplify our retirement planning.
But with our bad luck, it probably won't happen. grin
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 12:17 PM

We need to start a thread on the items that comprise EDC after May 21. That would be Eternal Divine/Devilish (as the case may be) Carry. Presumably, if you are upwardly mobile you will not need a flashlight....

Is there cell phone service in heaven?
Posted by: JBMat

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 01:17 PM

I once sorta kinda got in trouble for making fun of the "end of the worlders". I was tasked to lead PT back when it was predicted the rapture was going to take place that afternoon at 4pm.

One silly excersize had us leaping into the air with our arms over our heads. I think it was called the "High Jumper". Anyhow, while counting cadence, I called "end of the world" "coming today" "this is practice" "if ya get called away"... Of course one troopie decided this was blashphemy and got all upset. I told her if she was still around at 5pm she could file a complaint. She didn't see the humor in that either. Oh well, 1SG thought it was funny, in a perverse sorta way.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 02:24 PM

The 144,000 question will usually get them upset as well.

So who's getting left behind?... wink
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

So who's getting left behind?... wink

Me and a couple million of my closest heretic friends.

I will happily take anybodies Chris Reeve Sebenzas off their hands since they (probably) won't need it where they're going... grin
Posted by: dweste

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 09:56 PM

What is recommended first aid for the shock of not experiencing The Rapture as you expected?

What would be in a disappointed-everyone-is-still-here-kit?

What would be in an -oh-my-G..-I-am-still-here-but-my-friends-are-gone kit?

Is there a recommended thank-heaven-I-am-saved-take-it-with-you kit?

Come on people let's get equipped to survive!

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 10:26 PM

I'm not sure I would be distressed with being 'left behind'. Most of my friends, and all the people I really like being around, are, by all accounts, going to get left behind.

Most of the people who loudly proclaim they are going are people I really don't like, and who I would rather not have to live around. I won't miss them much.

There is also the simple mathematical issues. The main source for predictions specifies 144,000 as the limit. There are millions, billions?, of people who assume they get their ticket punched. Sounds like there might be some disappointment on their part. Me, not so much.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/11/11 11:20 PM

Perhaps we could ask one of them who's going to ask the guy in charge what's the mystery with the number 1/137.036

Posted by: dweste

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/12/11 12:45 AM

While my brain resets after trying to solve the equation, I think there could be value in reaching out to those you care about to let them know if the May 21 end-of-days they believe in fails to occur, that you think no less of them and would be glad to help them get over their disappointment with a home-cooked meal and a sympathetic ear. We all have a belief or two that the majority might not share and these are the neighbors we count on during potential emergencies.

I seem to recall something about glass houses and stones.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/12/11 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Perhaps we could ask one of them who's going to ask the guy in charge what's the mystery with the number 1/137.036[quote]

That's my bad. It is the number of Spaghetti-O in the can when I ate lunch at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe. The number inadvertently got incorporated into this universe when the huge time engines were activated and I was still eating. It is one of those quantum transference things and it will disappear when the universe is restarted.

They tell you to stop everything when the activate the engines but hey ... I was hungry and all I could afford after the trip was Spaghetti-Os. But I left a big tip ... one penny. Worth a fortune when compound interest is applied over the age of the universe.

Word is reset is scheduled on May 21st at 1800 hours. So no more mystery, or memory of their ever being a mystery. You might consult with any of the more popular trans-dimensional species, like white mice.

[quote=dweste]While my brain resets after trying to solve the equation, I think there could be value in reaching out to those you care about to let them know if the May 21 end-of-days they believe in fails to occur, that you think no less of them and would be glad to help them get over their disappointment with a home-cooked meal and a sympathetic ear. We all have a belief or two that the majority might not share and these are the neighbors we count on during potential emergencies.

I seem to recall something about glass houses and stones.

A little tea and sympathy might be just the thing. After a few minutes of laughing and pointing, of course.

Always best to acknowledge the fault, have full disclosure, embrace the full depth and breadth of folly and error. Then move on with admitting that, yes, most everyone has their turn at being tragically wrong. It is part of the human condition. Those with a strong sense of humor tend to get over it faster.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/12/11 04:58 PM

So, you mean that May 20 will be the last day that the JWs and LDS missionaries are likely to show up at my door? HALLELUJAH!

May 20... my payday, but it won't arrive until Monday... shee-it! The first one EVER that I didn't have to pay bills with, and it's coming too late to do any good. frown

Well, it seems to me that if you have enough kit, you should be able to survive practically anything, even Armageddon.

Sue

p.s. Be sure to check out the comments below the article in Art's second link... HILARIOUS!
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/13/11 07:28 PM

Sounds like a good excuse for a party. Think we're going to gather the family on the couch, scarfing down popcorn with extra butter, salt and MMs, and watching of the world movies.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/13/11 08:25 PM

I'm starting a part time job tomorrow, and my first payday is the 19th. I guess I could spend it all in one place, if i were so inclined. I'd be happy to send you some cash, Sue, but it wouldn't get to you in time to do any good....

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/14/11 09:35 PM

Thanks for the thought, Hikermor!

One thing comes to mind with these apocalypse predictions...

Back when everyone was waiting to see what happened when Y2K hit, a local family in my small town decided THAT was going to be the end of the world. The couple killed their two small children, the husband shot his wife, then he called 911 to report it and shot himself.

There have been many predictions of this sort and none of them have come to pass yet.

Sue
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/15/11 12:48 PM

Y2 was a little worse because the media was reporting everything from cars stopping to power plants blowing up. I had someone on a forum argue with me for the longest time trying to convince me that because the date was displayed on the dash of his Mercedes that the engine would quit on y2k. I went so far as to dig up spec sheets on a Motorola 68332 (popular microcontroller used in engine computers) and code examples to show how it wouldn't.
I never heard from him after y2k,may his mercedes blew up smile
Posted by: trooper0366

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/17/11 12:47 AM

Does this mean I don't have to worry about the coffee mug shortage in the other thread?

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/17/11 07:34 PM

Quote:
Does this mean I don't have to worry about the coffee mug shortage in the other thread?

Not until the following Tuesday, at least.

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/17/11 10:07 PM

If anyone thinks they will be leaving, please PM me so I can be included in your will. As they say in gamer land when someone quits -

"Can I haves your stuffs?"

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/17/11 10:42 PM

With less than four days to go, it's after 1800, I've given up on green bananas. I'm starting to note the location of high voltage power lines and air traffic. Pulled through power lines and into a jet engine on the way up might smart. Better to avoid the overhead hazards.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/18/11 12:42 AM

Well crap. I have a package coming via UPS. I hope it gets here in time.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/18/11 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: dweste
...there could be value in reaching out to those you care about to let them know if the May 21 end-of-days they believe in fails to occur...

Does anybody actually know any of the people that believe this? Can't say I know anybody who would even come close to admitting a belief like this. And if they hide their belief, do they truely believe it themselves?

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/18/11 02:52 AM

In the very long run we are, assuming we don't flee the scene, doomed:

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2011/05/the_fate_of_the_universe.php

The good news is that we have a few years, most of a billion, to figure out what to do and how to do it.
Posted by: sealander

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 02:36 AM

Oh good, 'cos my credit card bill isn't due til next month smile

I was going to mark the date up on my calendar but it burned down with my office this week........I guess we got started on the apocalypse early.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 05:50 AM

I predict the langoliers will clean up whats left after this saturday ^_^
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 12:53 PM

NO no no no no. The end can't happen til after my nephew's wedding on Sunday.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 03:38 PM

To all the posters in Aussieland or Kiwiland. According to the dude with the calculator, it's all supposed to start at at 6pm local - don't kow if he figured for DST or not - regardless - it will hit y'all first.

So, if you notice people disapearing in a cloud of smoke, or flying into the sky, or whatever, please post here so the rest of us can act accordingly.

I am so going to go out and max out my charge cards if this is real.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: JBMat
To all the posters in Aussieland or Kiwiland. According to the dude with the calculator, it's all supposed to start at at 6pm local - don't kow if he figured for DST or not - regardless - it will hit y'all first.

I heard him on the radio and apparently he's quite concerned with the time zones. He says 5:59pm EST is the beginning of the end.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 04:45 PM

My understanding is that it begins at 6 PM PDT, on the left coast with a horrendous earthquake, repeated in successive time zones. If correct, that means that you and yours, BPJ, will be the last to feel the effects.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 05:25 PM

At least we'll get to watch it coming hikermor! wink

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 06:33 PM

So, that means 23 hours to shop in WA? COOL!

JBMat, I think 'poof' in Aussieland means something totally different...

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/20/11 07:54 PM

Thanks Sue, just realized that.

Scratch poofing, scribble in disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

Gawd, I even have Aussie jump wings and forgot my slang.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 09:40 PM

So far so good.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 10:56 PM

4:49 p.m. PDT here. Not even a breeze.

You'd think there would be some earthquake rumbles, or something. Mt. Rainier is just sitting there, no ash plumes, no dancing the funky chicken, not even a burp.

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 10:57 PM

Hey, was this thing set up to happen on Standard Time or Daylight Savings Time?

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Hey, was this thing set up to happen on Standard Time or Daylight Savings Time?

Sue

Seems to depend on who you ask.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 11:05 PM

Better than 2000 here and I'm starting to think the guy might have been full of it. I'm soooo disappointed.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 11:12 PM

"Better than 2000 here and I'm starting to think the guy might have been full of it. I'm soooo disappointed."

There, there, Art! *pat pat*

I know you're disappointed, but maybe He's busy and just got a late start. And if you're lucky, you may get a late apocalypse with a good early hurricane chaser.

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Better than 2000 here and I'm starting to think the guy might have been full of it. I'm soooo disappointed.

Don't give up hope, Art. Apparently a volcano in Iceland started erupting today! wink

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/21/11 11:58 PM

"Apparently a volcano in Iceland started erupting today!"

I just saw that a few minutes ago, so I called a friend who has a good view of Mt. Rainier and asked how it looked. She said it was just sitting there, obviously sound asleep.

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 02:14 AM

Anyone want to place bets on the coming excuse for why the end of days didn't arrive on schedule?

Possible responses include:

1) The great faith of the true believers caused the powers that be to reconsider/delay.

2) Minor miscalculations or the mistaken exclusion of various factors caused the event to be predicted earlier than it is really going to happen.

3) Silence.

Remember that the previous prediction from this group was that the end was going to be in 1994. I don't remember how they responded when it failed that time. Might be worth researching.

Looks like jury duty is in my future. Not so bad. They usually take jurors to a nice restaurant for lunch. Yes, I know, it isn't hard to get out jury duty. Call me old fashion. I kind of consider it my civic duty.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 03:23 AM

Jury duty is better than an apocalypse!

Besides, if you were on the hot seat, would you want some bright, responsible, thinking people in your jury, or just the people who didn't have anything better to do?

Good man, Art!

Sue
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 04:28 AM

It's entirely interesting to note that some form of apocalyptic or millenialist sensibility seems to exist and flow through most of recorded human history. It predates the Christian tradition by many centuries. It seems as if the human psyche needs, seeks, responds to the sense that history has a start, an end, a purpose in between. A mental pathway as integral and deeply ingrained as sex, perhaps. We saw this same process in play approaching Y2K. Quite fascinating.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 06:04 AM

On a sad note news had a report of a lady who, frightened by the whole end of days thing, tried to kill her daughters and herself. Yes, she was likely mentally unstable to begin with, and this just ended up being the trigger most congruent with her timing and weaknesses.

But it still bothers me that what may end up to have been a publicity stunt by a radio preacher, a preacher heading a wealthy organization, with assets reported close to 24 million, could even indirectly lead to such a tragic end. They are playing on long standing and deeply rooted doubts and fears. Doubts and fears that come down hardest on the mentally infirm and damaged. People who are all out of the sort of humor and circumspection necessary to get the joke.

If some guy went out of his way to frighten your children you would think he was a creep. You would run him off. But somehow playing on the fears of the mentally ill, under the guise of religion, is okay.

One perceptive commentator suggested that, seeing as that this is their second bite at the apple, the honorable thing would be for the preacher to dissolve the church/media operation and return the money. And this was before the reports of the murder/suicide surfaced. A few million to mental health services sounds fair and IMHO if this guy had any honor people would scarcely have to ask. I'm not advocating a law.

It won't happen.

Yes this was a sad, deranged lady. Barely a blip on the radar. But it points out that fear-mongering is not a bloodless sport. Scare people enough and they lose themselves and do crazy things. Soon enough this episode of end of days nonsense will be a distant memory. I wonder how long we will remember the lady and her daughters.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 02:17 PM

No idea if this is real, but is well done:

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 03:22 PM

I like it, Doug!

BTW, I just noticed that your activity level is 'Pooh-Bah'. I really think that should be elevated to 'Grand Pooh-Bah'.

Well, you'll notice that I'm still here. All my friends are here, and my friends are nicer than I am. Total bust.

And +10 on Art's most recent post.

Sue

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/22/11 03:29 PM

Actually, that billboard might be real: See this article

If so, I hope they put one across the street from the bozo's church.

Sue
Posted by: Still_Alive

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/23/11 02:54 PM

+1 Art.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/24/11 07:40 AM

The answer to my question of how this preacher was going to react to this heaping helping of fail is:

#2) Minor miscalculations or the mistaken exclusion of various factors caused the event to be predicted earlier than it is really going to happen.

Because Camping, the would-be prophet and preacher says he miscalculated the end of days by five months and it is really due on October 21st. The mechanism may have changed also. May was supposed to be earthquakes. He is, according to one report, talking about 'fireballs' in October.

Fail in 1004, and again in may 2011.

I think we need to take this October 21 date seriously because, as we all know, 'third time is a charm'.

< head-desk > ... < head-desk >

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/24/11 09:32 AM

Boy, what a relief! That means we have one more World Series, especially if it doesn't go to extra innings in the seventh game...
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/24/11 04:55 PM

... and dangit if I didn't miss the chance at the best joke ever. Wish I had thought of this but it was posted by a friend on facebook ...

Don't forget to go by Goodwill and stock up on sneakers to leave around downtown tomorrow with dry ice in them...

I read the post a few hours too late ... I was at my nephew's wedding rehearsal. have a good day everyone.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/24/11 06:18 PM

Ok, the guy who stated May 21 has now moved it to Oct 21.

We have 5 months to get ready. I for one am stocking up on gummi bears and jelly bellys.

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/24/11 09:55 PM

At least it's before we have to go to the trouble of changing the clocks back to Standard Time on Nov. 6.

And I'll bet Camping won't lose a single member of his following then, either, when it's another bust.

Religion: Man's biggest con-game.

Sue
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Well ... that settles it. Long term planning out. - 05/24/11 10:01 PM

I thought it was funny for people thinking about stocking up for the rapture. Its not a y2k thing its a End of the world by the hand of god thing. Also If you thought you needed to stock up to survive the end of the world for the rapture you must know deep in your heart you aint going to heaven And by this logic Maybe we should stay away from those people we know who did?

Also +1 to Susan's standpoint on religion.