Cell phone lanyard holes?

Posted by: dweste

Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 02:06 AM

Why don't cell phones have lanyard holes?
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 10:27 AM

They used to, just like pagers, carrying straps and the hole for them was a feature has all but disappeared though.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 12:32 PM

Some still do. I bought my daughter a cheap PAYGO phone and it has a lanyard hole.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 01:10 PM

The cheaper the phone, the more likely it is to have a lanyard hole. Expensive glass-screen smartphones really don't like to be swung around on the end of a string.

I'd extend the question to "why are there so few tough phones that are waterproof?

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: MartinFocazio
I'd extend the question to "why are there so few tough phones that are waterproof?

Yeah, that too!
Posted by: Susan

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 07:47 PM

As long as your phone folds, carrying is easy -- I do it all the time. (ADD and loose cell phones do not work well together.)

Get some heavy duty nylon thread, cut a chunk about 38" long, knot the ends together using several knots and put a drop of Locktite on them. Put over head, flip your phone over it. Cheap, simple, easily replaceable.

Sue

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 08:10 PM

How do you secure the thread to the phone so that just opening the phone does not allow it to drop away?

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 08:22 PM

Unless the lanyard is too long for comfort (like waist-length), it's easier to talk on the phone by opening the phone and removing it from the thread, talking on it, then closing it over the thread again. Trust me, I've been doing this for over 3 years. It works fine. I also get a lot of comments in public of "Why didn't I think of that?"

Sue

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 10:20 PM

Thanks. I am worried about the slippery little devil deciding to go on its own adventure when I am chasing the wily mushroom on steep hillsides covered in dark, quiet forest duff - or arising from a deeply cushioned chair, couch, or restaurant booth. There have been several close calls.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/09/11 10:53 PM

What you need is a deep holster with a good latch, or else a shirt with securely fastened flap pockets. Maxpedition makes some good pouches that hold cell phones quite securely - no close calls whatever.

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/10/11 03:01 AM

Sometimes I am working outside while wearing the phone, so I wear a man's long-sleeved shirt with a pocket. I still have it on its 'leash', but I drop it on the pocket and button it.

Sue
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/10/11 04:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
Unless the lanyard is too long for comfort (like waist-length), it's easier to talk on the phone by opening the phone and removing it from the thread, talking on it, then closing it over the thread again. Trust me, I've been doing this for over 3 years. It works fine. I also get a lot of comments in public of "Why didn't I think of that?"

Sue

Sue, not to be vulgar or crude, but how well does that work for guys? We don't all have the same "lateral support" that women do. (ok, some guys do)

I only ask b/c I've had several times where my flip phone fell off my shorts while running.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/10/11 11:52 AM

second on the Maxpedition cell phone pouch...mine was a gift, and had the belt clip... replaced the clip with an Uncle Mikes nylon key ring holder for LEO duty belt, gives an additional attachment point for a flashlight if needed
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/10/11 08:34 PM

My little flip-phone, a cheap disposable model, lacks a lanyard hole but I've found that if pressed I can string a bit of very thin, fifteen pound, spectra around the hinge connecting the two halves and string a lanyard that I can wear around my neck.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/10/11 09:19 PM

I use a Berghaus Tool case (shown on the Left clipped to the chest strap) to hold a candy bar style mobile phone.

Posted by: Eugene

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/10/11 09:26 PM

I'm looking for a case for a Motorola droid that can go on a backpack like that.
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/11/11 02:31 PM

Here's a solution that I am using:

You may find that if your flip phone has a hole for a thin nylon cord, you may be able to loop a small Victorinox replacement split ring through it and attach a para cord lanyard. The large Vic split rings are too big, at least for my phone. I tuck the red wooden ball up between my pants and belt, and the phone dangles. If I get a call, a quick tug loosens it. I can hang the phone in a pocket if I'm in the woods. It does not fall out.
Posted by: Aussie

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/12/11 06:12 AM

My initial thought was to drill a hole yourself and add a nice paracord lanyard, but the phone probably wouldn't work after that!

Perhaps someone clever could develop an iPhone app ?

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/12/11 06:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Aussie
My initial thought was to drill a hole yourself and add a nice paracord lanyard, but the phone probably wouldn't work after that!

Might not do the warranty and insurance much good either.

Re: Cell phone lanyard holes? - 05/12/11 04:22 PM

Quote:
Sue, not to be vulgar or crude, but how well does that work for guys? We don't all have the same "lateral support" that women do. (ok, some guys do)

I only ask b/c I've had several times where my flip phone fell off my shorts while running.

I'm a little vague on what you're asking. It's just a string around your neck with the phone folded over it. I know quite a few women with 'considerable' cleavage (aka 'lateral support') who keep a lot of stuff tucked in there: cell phones, sunglasses, hankies, prescription, lighter, pack of cigarettes, etc.***

Running is kind of a pain (sometimes literally) when it's bouncing. The 'lateral support' doesn't change anything.

The most inconvenient time is when you're doing a lot of bending over or leaning forward, as then it's always in the way. That's when I stick it in my pocket. I said it was simple and cheap, not perfect frown .

***Which brings up the thought of a thread based on 'Cleavage Kits', but it's probably beyond the scope of this board, and besides, all the guys would want to see the photos. All I can say to the ladies who have enough room in this 'kit' for storage, beware of leaning over those auto-flush toilets.

Sue