Making Charcloth

Posted by: bacpacjac

Making Charcloth - 04/23/11 02:22 PM

I've never tried char cloth before and want to give it a try. I understand that I need to super heat the cloth, free of oxygen, but that's about all I know, except that cotton works best and to avoid flame-resistant materials.

Any tips or tricks?
Posted by: Blast

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/23/11 07:06 PM

I just cut up old jeans into Altoids-tin-sized pieces, pack them tightly in an Altoids tin, then set it in the fire. I have no set rule on when to take it out again, just kinda when it feels right. You can get a lot of patches from jeans so experiment some to develop the touch for taking it out of the fire.

Another trick our wonderful Hawaiian member taught me was get some cotton window sashing cord from Walmart's craft area and light one end on fire. Let it burn a bit then snuff it out. The black area will readily take a spark which will then burn into the unburned part (hope that makes sense). Once you have your fire going snuff the burning end of the cord. Aloha keeps his in a piece of copper tubing to help snuff it.

-Blast

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/23/11 07:49 PM

Thanks Blast!
Posted by: leemann

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/23/11 10:24 PM

I have used a copper pipe with end caps one cap has a small hole. To use place cloth in pipe (I use a alcohol burner) heat till no smoke appears and you're done.

Lee

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/23/11 11:10 PM

Thanks Leemann.

I've heard of putting a hole in the container before but have to admit that I don't understand why. Does it let oxygen escape?

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/23/11 11:12 PM

Blast, I've got some old blue jeans and am going to try the window sash trick too. Is there a specific fabric blend that's best or just 100% cotton?
Posted by: dweste

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/24/11 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I've heard of putting a hole in the container before but have to admit that I don't understand why. Does it let oxygen escape?

When it stops smoking through the hole, and it will a lot, it is done. Best done outside.

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/24/11 09:59 AM

Good to know! Thanks Dewest!
Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/24/11 02:23 PM

I follow a lot of what has been said. I use jeans, 100% cotton, cut them into squares, use a cheap pan with top from the trift store (want to stay married) heat it up out side on low heat and wait until it starts smoking.

This is great stuff to use as the initial tinder starter if you are going to use flint and steel.

The red ember produced just doesn't go out.

The cord idea from Blast is very interesting.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz
Posted by: Susan

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/25/11 05:14 PM

100% cotton, no blends.

Sue

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/25/11 11:22 PM

Thanks Sue. I've wondered about that!

Good idea Quest. Thanks!
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/26/11 06:26 AM

To clarify.

put the jeans (I used a cotton undershirt) into the altoid tin. Close the tin. Put a small hole in top of tin's lid (I used the smallest drill bit I had). Put the entire Altoid tin (with said cotton enclosed) into the fire, I used the BBQ after dinner was finished.

Like someone said, once the smoke comes out the top, take it off. Not all my patches were charred, and some were too charred, but there was a decent amount of "just right" available.

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/26/11 11:11 AM

Thanks MDinana. How do I tell what's just right? I'm guessing that too brittle is overdone and still distiguishable as blue jeans is underdone?
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/26/11 02:57 PM

You're welcome.

You're essentially correct. Too little still is blue-jean in the middle (might be OK on the edges), too done literally crumbles as you try and pull it out of the tin.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/26/11 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
To clarify.

put the jeans (I used a cotton undershirt) into the altoid tin. Close the tin. Put a small hole in top of tin's lid (I used the smallest drill bit I had). Put the entire Altoid tin (with said cotton enclosed) into the fire, I used the BBQ after dinner was finished.

I've found that Altoid tins leak enough that adding an extra hole is unnecessary. You are right on the waiting for the smoke to stop.

-Blast

Re: Making Charcloth - 04/26/11 09:59 PM

Thanks again Blast!