O/T - E-mail frozen

Posted by: Susan

O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 03:24 AM

A friend passed on some supposedly cutesy-poo email and it has really screwed things up.

Old computer, 5-6 yrs.
Internet via Qwest phone service, Hotmail (gag).

Her email won't load, even after an hour. I can't delete it, either.

Other e-mails are piling up, but I can't open them, either; it seems stuck on the original problem-causer.

Any tips? I don't want to read the original one, just want to get rid of it.

Sue
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 03:56 AM

I haven't used Hotmail so these are based on the web interface for my ISP.

Have you tried:

Shut down the computer (may require turning off with power switch/unplug).
Restart.
Log-in to Hotmail.
Do not open the email.
Look for a check box at one end of the email.
Click box & click delete button.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 07:18 AM

One trick is to tell your browser NOT to download multimedia content (images, videos and so on), but display text only. This trick is not only helpful for low bandwidth situations, but could also be exactly what you need to not get bugged down by whatever nasty content in that email.

I cannot tell you where to find that option on your particular browser, but probably in a menu like "tools - options - advanced" or something similar. What you look for is a detailed list of the different kinds of multimedia content and how to deal with them.

Note that the ignore images trick will be hard to pull of if the hotmail menu or buttons are composed of small images that you click on. If you can't see those images then it is rather hard to find where to click to log on.

On Microsoft Explorer you could also try to raise the "internet security" slidebar. Don't know if it helps, though.
Posted by: bws48

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 10:35 AM

This is just a thought, and may not be feasible, but here goes:

Since I think Hotmail is a web mail application, you should be able to log into it from any computer as long as you have the passwords etc.

Try to find another computer with more speed and faster internet access. Maybe at the local library?

Log into the problem e-mail account. Hopefully it will actually download the problem e-mail. Then delete it. In theory, you should be able to go back to the usual computer and ISP and have it the e-mail work.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 12:19 PM

You can clear the hotmail mailbox by setting up a pop3 account in Outlook Express, Windows Mail etc.

The Hotmail Incoming Mail Server (POP3) - pop3.live.com (logon using Secure Password Authentification - SPA, mail server port: 995)

http://www.emailaddressmanager.com/tips/mail-settings.html

Again enter your Username and Password and the email client should empty your hotmail mailbox when you press the send/recieve or sync button.

All the messages in the hotmail account will be downloaded to you computer deleting them from the server. This may take a while depending on how many messages and the size of attachments. The cutesy-poo message can then be inspected by your anti-virus program and deleted if appropriate.

You can even setup your hotmail account with all the same facilities for instant email messaging using Outlook (I think it uses an exchange server setup) by using Microsoft Office Outlook hotmail connect.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outloo...A010222518.aspx

You can also try reseting your Internet Explorer browser back to its factory settings, go to <tools> <internet Options> <advanced tab> <reset> then restart Internet Explorer then attempt to log back into Hotmail.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 12:23 PM

Sorry Sue. I apparently have the wrong DNA sequencing for computers. My procedure for fixing glitches is a two step proces:

1) Moan, complain and curse, followed by
2) Whine "Hon-eee. Can you fix this pleeeeeease."

He's got his hands full with me so doesn't like to contract out his services. wink
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 01:01 PM

If you're trying to load a huge attachment into an e-mail program like Outlook/Outlook Express, it can lock up for quite a while. Especially for slower connections. I was on dial-up for a long time, so I feel your pain and annoyance.

E-mail programs download everything in sequence, and that holds up everything else.

You should be able to get into your mailbox another way, through a 'webmail' log-on (done through any web browser). Then, you can look at the list of messages and delete the offender, or download the attachment directly and efficiently.
Posted by: Frisket

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/15/11 01:25 PM

If this is a virus/malware issue and If your issue is still constant i would Try obtaining a linux live CD from a useable computer such as a family members pc or neighbor/friends pc. Ubuntu should serve fine. This would eliminate the issues caused if they are pure windows based as the virus/malware or such most likely wont be cross platform. Other then this the least i can say is a full format if you still have your backup disks for your PC or a copy of windows. This is of course if your infected and your current virus protection isnt helping. There are many alternatives such as bringing it to a best buy or computer repair shop but you may easily be paying more then a 5-6 year old PC is worth on repairs. The greatest thing i ever did was purchase my own copy of windows. The price is high but when you get more issues than you can solve BAM reformat and your golden.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/16/11 10:22 PM

I had the same general thing happen back in the 90s when I had a Mindspring account. I could see the account but couldn't do anything with it. I called tech help and the guy told me the problem was the account was over-full. I hadn't checked it in months and had been overly enthusiastic about handing out my e-mail address. The fix was the tech deleting e-mails to drain it down to a reasonable size. Better than 90% or it was spam so I didn't miss much.

Worked fine after that.

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/16/11 11:22 PM

Thank you for all the suggestions (except for Jackie's)!

I printed them out and will show them to a friend who is more computer-savy than I am.

Sue, dragged into the electronics age kicking and screaming... where's my carbon paper?
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/17/11 12:21 AM

LOL @ Sue!! (I honestly wish I could help. A little levity sometimes prevents broken toes from kicking the puter! )

Re: O/T - E-mail frozen - 04/17/11 01:58 AM

grin eek mad