Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove

Posted by: Outdoor_Quest

Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/14/11 05:14 PM

Nice stove for the price.

Could use a few suggestions on getting this stove to light and stay lit. Followed the directions but it just doesn't seem to keep going.

Certainly could be the operator.

Thanks

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/14/11 05:25 PM

Quote:
Certainly could be the operator.

I probably doubt it.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=187713

Better off sticking with a Trangia from my experience.

http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=192706
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/14/11 06:55 PM

Yeah, the Vargo Ti alcohol stoves don't have a very good reputation. I was considering one at one point, but reviews dissuaded me.

HJ
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/14/11 07:27 PM

You would be better off with a Trangia, although it is relatively heavy (3 oz!). If you want light, cheap, and effective, (although a bit fragile) go get some cat food and make a Super CAT stove, or several other competing models.

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/14/11 07:35 PM

Yeah, hate to say it, but the home made ones tend to out do most of the store bought ones. There are a couple of exceptions to that rule, the Trangia being chief among them. The Trangia has a simmering ring that comes with it, which is a nice option.

HJ
Posted by: 6pac

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/14/11 09:51 PM

HJ, I was kinda wondering if you were gonna include any alcohol stoves in your Stove Reviews? I just recently bought my first commercial stove, but I've been using a homemade Heineken stove for years. I've noticed that around 25F the stove gets a bit finicky. I use a piece of aluminum flashing as a windscreen and only use denatured alcohol.

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 01:35 AM

I will eventually do at least an overview article on alcohol stoves although I'd like to review the Trangia 27 system and the Caldera Cone system as specific reviews.

So many stoves, so little time.

HJ
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 07:00 AM

I made some penny stoves from coke cans a while ago, and they boiled water fine in subfreezing temperature with some wind (needs windscreen obviously). You can dump some alcohol under stove (in the lid/priming pan) to help with the priming.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 09:15 AM

There is an interesting continuum here of workable, effective stoves that run from essentially free - any of several soda can alcohol stoves - to moderate cost - something like the Pocket Rocket - to the sky is the limit - I have heard of some titanium goodie that allegedly retailed for $250.

What is the most expensive backpacking stove you know of?

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 02:08 PM

Well, it depends on what you mean.

In terms of currently available at retail outlets, some of the pricier ones are:

Brunton Vapor All Fuel MSRP $225
Jetboil Helios Guide MSRP $200
Optimus Hiker Plus MSRP $200

Primus Omnifuel MSRP $160
MSR Reactor MSRP $160

Optimus Nova/Nova+ MSRP $150
Jetboil Helios MSRP $150
Soto Muka MSRP $150
MSR XGK EX MSRP $150

Notice some clustering on the prices? Interesting, isn't it?

If you're talking about collector's items, the sky really is the limit. An Optimus 9 will fetch a couple *thousand* dollars.

HJ
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 02:43 PM

Quote:

Possibly another one to add to the collection. wink

http://www.amazon.com/Brunton-Vapor-liquid-butane-Expedition/dp/B000P3KHLE

The plasticy Jetboil Helios Guide MSRP $200 now makes the old Primus Himalaya Omnifuel Titanium now look like a bargain. laugh

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 05:08 PM

If you were going to pick up a Brunton Vapor AF, now might be the time to do it. Brunton has stopped it's old arrangement of selling a mix of Kovea and other stoves and will be selling Primus products.

So, a lot of "Brunton" products are a bargain right now. Now as to product support, who knows?

HJ

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Well, it depends on what you mean.

In terms of currently available at retail outlets, some of the pricier ones are:

Jetboil Helios Guide MSRP $200
Optimus Hiker Plus MSRP $200

Primus Omnifuel MSRP $160
MSR Reactor MSRP $160

Optimus Nova/Nova+ MSRP $150
Jetboil Helios MSRP $150
Soto Muka MSRP $150
MSR XGK EX MSRP $150

Notice some clustering on the prices? Interesting, isn't it?

If you're talking about collector's items, the sky really is the limit. An Optimus 9 will fetch a couple *thousand* dollars.

HJ

So Jim, you have all of the above in your garage, yes? laugh

What is under the Brunton vapor skin, Optimus Nova? I'm tempted to pick one up at this price.

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/15/11 06:15 PM

Ha, ha, no I don't have all those. I do have an Omnifuel, a Nova, and a XGK EX. Testinga Muka that's on loan to me.

The Vapor AF is definitely NOT a Nova. It's a very different stove. It's made in Japan but by whom I do not know. I'm tempted too since it can burn both liquid fuel and gas, but goodness knows I have enough stoves.

HJ

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/16/11 01:42 AM

I've been checking the reviews. Apparently at least two people are having horrible performance with this stove, 14 minutes to boil 1 liter, but others are having more normal 4.5 minutes boil time. Not sure what to make of it.

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 04/16/11 02:03 AM

Hard to believe 14 minutes. Was the stove on? wink

Maybe they were using canister gas in cold weather?

HJ

Re: Vargo Titanium Alchol Stove - 05/16/11 04:32 PM

Okay I got one, haven't tested it yet. I thought with the hefty original price tag, the "turn the burner cup" thing would have some fancy jet changing feature, but it turned out to be just open/close a few air inlets on the side to switch between gas/liquid. Gotta say that's a disappointment. One thing I do like is the hose is mounted on a swivel, not fixed like on most other stoves, makes it easier to pack and place.