My First Firearm Hurray!

Posted by: Frisket

My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 09:31 PM

Obtained my First firearm today! Got a Marlin 795 In Blued Finnish. Very happy with it so far much better choice over the ruger 10/22 Imho. All the reviews and stuff seemed to be off on all the negatives so far. The stock doesnt feel cheap twist or bend at any point including the foregrip. I cant find anything that feels or looks "cheap" on the gun for its great price. Just attempted to take the buttplate off while writing this but COuldnt. Have no way of Popping it out after unscrewing it and after an atempted to give it a gentle pry out with a awl i figured i was gonna destroy the hole or threading no idea but for my first firearm id hate to break anything on it befor i even get to shoot it.
Posted by: Paul810

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 09:51 PM

With the $25 rebate, Marlin's 795 is probably one of the best deals out there when it comes to autoloading .22's. Sure, it's not an Anschutz, but it is a great choice when it comes to an economical, reliable, and accurate little .22. Best of luck with it!

On a side note, a .22 is a great first firearm. Between the low price of ammunition and their ease of use, one can get in a lot of meaningful practice. When I take new shooters to the range the first thing I usually start them on is my little Henry Youth Lever .22 (pictured below). With a couple of those metal hanging targets it can be a lot of fun without being scary or overwhelming.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:01 PM

What ammunition do you Recommend? I was gonna buy a Bulk brick of CCI but I forget what type of CCI they are. I really wanna feed it good mid range Ammunition I wanna take care of it and make it last a couple lifetimes.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:15 PM

The typical recommendation is to try different brands and see how they shoot in your individual firearm. Evidently there is a lot of variance. I would avoid the real cheap brands.

Congratulations! Yes indeed, a 22 is the foundation of what can become nice selection. Since you state that this is your first, I have to ask - How experienced are you with guns? If you haven't much, a little bit of competent instruction will go a long way toward building good habits.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:22 PM

I have little to no experience With real firearms. I know the basics of safety so far. Never load it unless you are at the range and intend to fire it never handle it without checking the chamber do not clean itwhile its loaded never aim it at people loaded or unloaded so on so forth.

Also i have dryfired it a few times already is that ok? only like 5-6 times. I plan on using empty cases to dryfire it which i heard is safe and cheaper then snapcaps.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:31 PM

Dryfiring a rimfire is not a very good idea, although snap caps and to some extent empty cartridges solve the problem. The deal is, as i understand it, is that the firing pin will hit the side of an empty chamber, messing up either the chamber, the pin, or both. I am sure others can comment on this.

The thing about instruction is that you want to develop good basic habits right at the start - sight alignment, breath control, trigger squeeze, avoiding flinching, etc. I have heard experienced firearms instructors say they would rather teach someone with no experience than a person who has shot before and developed bad habits. We can't let you develop any bad habits, can we?
Posted by: Russ

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:34 PM

Frisket -- Get a variety of 40 gr ammo and see which shoots the tightest group. Once you see which ammo shoots best, buy a whole bunch. Store it cool and dry.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:38 PM

I put 150 rounds 75 eatch with my Brotherinlaw threw his brothers old model 795 and had a blast with it. With a 22 it was no different then firing a paintball gun little to no sound and no kick. We make it a point to be safe as we shoot and pass the gun over saftey on mag out bolt open chamber empty.

Is leaving a 22 Cocked Bad? I really hate leaving My bb guns and paintball guns cocked and since dryfiring a 22 is bad i have no idea how i would without leaving a snapcap or expended round inthe chamber which i also do not like the sound of.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:42 PM

What does your manual say?

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:45 PM

Oh jeesh i forgot about the paper manual here i am trying to get the PDF from the site in which their PDF links are broken...I feel afool...

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:45 PM

I suppose it depends on the .22. My .22LR rifles are bolt action. I close the bolt with the trigger depressed so the bolt isn't cocked as it closes. With a semi-auto I'd use either a cleaned spent casing or snap cap.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 10:52 PM

Aint that somthing the paper manual seems to state nothing about dry firing nor storage of the firearm..strange...also aint it silly how fast the internet makes you forget about paper? sad

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 11:06 PM

For bulk ammunition, Federal Value packs are one of the best deals going and they're widely available (Walmart sells 550 packs, everywhere else sells 525 packs....same exact ammo just different packaging):

I'm also a big fan of their bulk Auto Match 22 (and it's actually what I stock up on for the most part). My older 22's with well worn barrels tend to like it (vs. copper-washed bullet .22lr ammunition), and it still works just fine in my newer .22s as well:

For higher-quality .22 ammunition, it's hard to go wrong with CCI. Their Mini-Mag (in both round nose and hollow point) is pretty much the golden standard when it comes to a high-quality, reasonably priced, .22lr round that works well in a wide variety of firearms.

I like these for hunting (as opposed to general plinking), as they have a very low misfire rate. (with typical rimfire rounds, it's somewhat common to occasionally get a dud round that won't go off when the firing pin hits the round's rim....however, in my experience, that rarely happens with Mini-Mags)

If I could only have one type of .22lr round, I would be plenty happy with mini-mags. Also, when I do buy 'em, I make sure to save the plastic boxes they come in. It's a great way to organize bulk ammo. Just take the label off and write a new one on with masking tape so you know which is which.

When it comes to high-end ammunition, Eley Tenex is arguably the best and it's what is widely used in .22lr competitions. However, it's extremely expensive and it requires a high-end firearm to really see the maximum potential of the round. For a Marlin 795, it's likely not going to be worth it. However, I thought it was worth mentioning just so you know what else is out there.

Finally, while a .22lr isn't really the best choice when it comes to a firearm for personal/home defense, if it's all you have then you might one day (unfortunately) have to use it in that role. With that in mind, I would recommend CCI Velocitors (not Stingers). It has a 40gr hollow-point bullet that travels at around 1400ft-sec from a rifle. Penetration and weight retention is excellent for a .22lr (which also makes it a good round for hunting). However, because it's such a hot round, it's not really good to use it all the time; it's also somewhat expensive. All in all, it's good to have a box or two on hand (and to test it out), but it's probably not something you're going to want to shoot all the time.

Hope that helps. smile

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 11:12 PM

Many Thanks The manual holds CCI up high i think ill stick to that and federal bulk for the cheap stuff hopefully that 10x5x5 inch brick of CCI i saw was mini mags and a good price.

For now i have to go thanks for the advice im sure ill keep this thread alive as i go and enjoy ma 22 ryfal!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 11:39 PM

When it comes to dry-firing, it's not typically a good idea to do it with most .22 firearms. The reason being, is that the firing pin (steel) can hit the steel edge of the chamber. Steel against steel (with no brass to buffer the blow) = no good. It can potentially damage the firing pin or the chamber rim.

As far as storage, I wouldn't store it with a .22lr case in it. An empty bore and chamber is typically the best way to store a firearm, that way you can always ensure it's unloaded with a quick check of the chamber. Leaving a shell in there might cause you to confuse an empty shell for a loaded cartridge, thereby potentially leading to a dangerous negligent discharge.

Now, on a lot of .22's you can pull the bolt all the way back and then (ensuring the gun is empty), at the same time, pull and hold the trigger while slowly letting the bolt forward. This then allows the firearm to be stored un-cocked. I forget whether or not the 795 can do this, but if it can, that's the best way to store it.

Otherwise, if it doesn't let you un-cock it, I would store it cocked on an empty chamber. Most people prefer not to store firearms cocked, as it can potentially wear springs. However, the act of shooting the firearm puts more wear on the springs than leaving them compressed does, so it really isn't a big deal.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/20/11 11:48 PM

There's a lot of good info in this thread.

Please get some training. The NRA Basic Rifle and Basic Pistol classes are great places to start. If you care to PM me your ZIP code, I'd be glad to help you find an instructor.

I'd been shooting for 20 years when I took the Basic Pistol class (my wife wouldn't go unless I went with her) and I learned some good stuff. Now I'm a competitive shooter, an instructor and a league RSO and I'm still learning.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 12:59 AM

I just read that Marlins usually come dirty in the action and should be cleaned and lubed befor use? Does anyone have any opinions on this? I never took apart a gun befor so im terrified of taking it apart.

I still need a cleaning kit aswell which it seems for the marlin 795 would just be a patch rod a toothbrush and solvent. I also need Oil and grease. Can anyone point me towards brandnames? I Know about remoil which is readily available here but thats about it. Strange feeling knowing a bunch about guns till you own one and realize you know little in the end lol

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 01:08 AM

Im very very very suprised at the lack of information the manual has....Very sad..You would think for a firearm youd get more then a 14 page cliffnotes on what to do.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 01:37 AM

I'll add tip:When you go to Purchase Ammo,Buy it by the 50 round pack,& Buy as Many different Brands as you can,That way you don't have a Bunch of Bunk Ammo on hand,Should your Gun,Not like the Flavor,& It will Save some money that is better spent on Good Ammo!I use CCI Ammo for my .22's,& Have Never had a Dud!YMMV,Have Fun!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 02:32 AM

Cleaning kits and particularly lubricants are a matter of religious fervor to a lot of folks. Be prepared for a lot of opinions and advice here.

If you only have one thing, Breakfree CLP is the thing to have. It isn't the very best cleaner, lubricant or protectant, but it does all three competently. I keep a bottle in my BOB.

At home I use Hoppes as a bore cleaner, although Shooters Choice is just as good. For most of my guns I use a Tuf-Cloth with a few drops of liquid Tuf-Glide on bearing surfaces. This has worked well for me in competition and some very intense training.

Other than a rod, some patches, and a cleaning brush (gun cleaning brushes outperform toothbrushes in my experience) I'd also get a Boresnake, some disposable shop towels, and something to help you get into small places. I like CountyComm's Universal Cleaning Stick, but you could easily improvise something that worked well for you.

Follow each gun's manual carefully on disassembly, reassembly, cleaning and lubrication.

Whatever else you do, keep all ammo out of the cleaning area and check to ensure the gun is completely unloaded. Check twice. Check every time you even look away from the gun.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 03:16 AM

Hey, Frisket, just relax and take it slow. One's first pop-gun is always a neat acquisition. But there's a substantial learning curve ahead, and most if it doesn't involve cleaning the firearm.

I sincerely suggest you spend some time with an experienced shooter -- if only to dispel any Hollywood notions, and get to know how to use your firearm safely, responsibly, and (finally) effectively.

I have two or three .22s in my house (I live in the country), and they're the only firearm I use on a regular basis -- mostly for control of invasive species.

You may be surprised to learn that the hottest .22LR round is basically useless for my situation -- and the lowest power round that will feed (CB22 long in 10/22) is the most effective. It won't even cycle the action; it's a fancy single shot. Treat your firearm as a tool for the task at hand (and allow no Hollywood BS).

The point being, a firearm is only as effective (or ineffective) and safe (or dangerous) as the brain of the person holding it. Train your brain. And develop safe habits that you always, always, always follow.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Frisket
I just read that Marlins usually come dirty in the action and should be cleaned and lubed befor use? Does anyone have any opinions on this? I never took apart a gun befor so im terrified of taking it apart.

I still need a cleaning kit aswell which it seems for the marlin 795 would just be a patch rod a toothbrush and solvent. I also need Oil and grease. Can anyone point me towards brandnames? I Know about remoil which is readily available here but thats about it. Strange feeling knowing a bunch about guns till you own one and realize you know little in the end lol

Firearms typically come with a little packing grease/oil on them, it's there to help keep the gun from rusting as it sits in the box (or on the dealer's shelf). In the case of Glock firearms, you're actually supposed to run a few rounds through the gun before you clean it; as the packing grease is designed to help the gun wear properly. With that said, it's not a big deal either way. Some people prefer to clean them first, others will shoot it right out of the box....for the most part, as long as the gun has some type of lubrication in there (and nothing is broken, obviously), it will run fine.

Personally, I just like to run a patch or boresnake down the barrel of a new firearm. It lets me know the barrel is clear of obstructions and not full of anything that shouldn't be there (like a ton of rust or spiderwebs). After that, I'll run some rounds through it, bring it home, then take it apart enough so that I can inspect the action under a good strong light (just to make sure there is nothing visibly wrong with the firearm and it's wearing the way it should). At that point, sometimes I clean it thoroughly; most of the time I just give it a drop of oil here and there on the action, run a quick boresnake or patch down the barrel (with a few drops of CLP on it), and then wipe it down with an oil-dampened cloth and put it back in the safe. It's essentially what my grand-father did and I've got firearms that belonged to him which are now 60+ years old and they still work just fine.

As far as cleaning/oiling solutions go, everyone has their own suggestions and recommendations. For general cleaning, I like Otis or Break-Free brand CLP. They clean out carbon, they lubricate the action, and they protect the firearm from rust...all in one simple and handy bottle (or spray can). For the most part, that will cover basic cleaning just fine.

Otherwise, I like Hoppes Elite Gun Cleaner or MPro7 gun cleaner (same stuff); this is a gun cleaning solvent that is safe to use on a wide variety of firearms. Basically it will remove carbon and old oil/grease build-up, however after using it, you will need to re-lubricate the firearm. What do I use this for? If there is a lot of stubborn carbon build-up on a firearm, instead of scrubbing it off, you just spray this on and let it sit for a while (or stick small parts in a bath of it). The carbon should wipe away no problem.

I also keep a bottle of Break-Free Bore Cleaning Foam. This is a copper remover. Over time copper from copper jacketed bullets can start to build up a bit inside the barrel. You spray some of this in the barrel, let it sit, then run a clean patch through it. It does a pretty good job of getting rid of built-up copper (which you can see as a green color on the patch). There is no need to do this often (nor do you really want to, since it's a pretty strong solvent that you want to avoid getting on the firearm's plastic or wood components). Unless you're a competitive high-power shooter, a couple times a year is more than enough.

As far as cleaning tools go, there are a bunch of different options out there....and again, everyone has their own opinion. The ones with aluminum/brass rods, bronze bore brushes, the appropriate adapters, and some patches work just fine and sell for a reasonable price. Just make sure to get a kit that works with your caliber of rifle (.22).

In the past, it was commonly thought that, to keep a firearm functioning, you had to keep it as perfectly clean as possible all the time. Nowadays, we know that, for the most part, keeping a firearm white-glove clean at all times isn't really necessary. Keeping a firearm properly oiled is much more important, and it's actually possible to over-clean firearms (i.e. induce unnecessary wear to the action, bore, and finish). As I mentioned, after a range session, I'll just put a drop or two of oil on the wear points of the action, run a boresnake or quick patch down the barrel, and then wipe it all off with a little oil on a cotton cloth to get carbon off and to prevent rust. No need to get white-glove clean every time you shoot it.
Posted by: haertig

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 03:50 AM

On the rifle: Good choice! The Marlin 795 is the best bang for the buck out there with it's current $25 rebate. I like mine a lot, and I have many many .22's. Actually, I like them all (I research well before buying anything, so I don't end up with lemons!) For an inexpensive plinker - the 795's target market - the only real competition it has in that market is the Mossberg Plinkster 702. I have both and consider them equals - I would not recommend one over the other. Just buy whichever is cheaper at the moment (with the current rebate, that's the 795).

On ammo: All semi-autos can be finicky about what they like. As a rule (in my experience), nothing really likes Remington .22 ammo, so I'd just stay away from that. Or at least buy some in small boxes to try before spending a lot of money on a large quantity. I have found that the "cure" for ammo-finicky .22's is usually Winchester 333 Bulk (available at WalMart) or Winchester 555 bulk (same stuff, just a bigger box). And if this "cure" doesn't work, move on to the "super cure" of CCI MiniMags. MiniMags are a little more expensive per round than the Winchester 333.

On dry firing: I don't dry-fire any of my .22's (intentionally) no matter what the manufacturer says. Old habits die hard.

On leaving them cocked: Don't worry about it. The springs in there are ALWAYS under tension/compression, even when uncocked. They are just under a little more tension when they are cocked, that's all. Besides, springs DO NOT wear out due to being held compressed. They tolerate that just fine - no problems. They wear out by being compressed, then released, then compressed, then released. In other words, through normal use. How they are stored between uses - compressed or not - doesn't make any difference.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 09:11 AM

Just a point on cleaning. If possible clean the bore from the chamber end. Over time, it lessens wear on the rifling at the muzzle, and that is good for accuracy.

I have heard that with good 22 ammo, you need not clean the bore at all, or only very infrequently.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the input! The only thing i can tell thats different in care taking about the marlin 795 is the bore. Since it has micro rifling i have heard you cannot wirebrush it or certain solvents.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/21/11 04:47 PM

Since it has micro rifling i have heard you cannot wirebrush it or certain solvents.

If solvents will eat away the rifling inside the bore, that rifle has some really serious problems! I don't think I'd worry too much about that silly rumor.

Harsh solvents can sometimes damage the finish of certain rifles (mostly the ones where the receivers are painted, not blued). Note that the receiver of the Marlin 795 IS painted not blued, so try to keep your solvents confined to the bore and the insides of the receiver and components therein. Don't saturate the OUTSIDE of the receiver with solvent and go at it with a wire brush. But that's standard advice for any rifle. I've never heard of solvents damaging the bore. Unless you're using sulfuric acid or something.

FWIW, I use a Boresnake dropped in from the chamber end. And either Hoppes #9 or Breakfree CLP for cleaning. Followed up with a itsy-bitsy amount of RemOil down the bore (on the tail end of the Boresnake) if I used Hoppes #9. If I used the Breakfree CLP, it already has a protectant in it so I don't use the RemOil.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 04:53 AM

Just orderd a Otis FG-200 Cleaning kit yay! Hopefully getting a few rounds of CCI Tomorrow whewt! Dying to see if I can go shooting this weekend Yippie!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 06:14 AM

Just orderd a Otis FG-200 Cleaning kit yay!

The Otis kits are great for cleaning. They do a nice job and they pack up small. It's worth mentioning that you don't have to use their special patches and CLP once you run out. You can use regular patches and your choice of cleaning solutions. Add a stiff nylon bristle brush and a couple lint-free cotton towels (usually sold for cleaning dishes) to your kit and you should have everything you need.

The only thing that Micro Otis kit can't do is remove a bullet stuck in the bore (i.e. a Squib). For that you would need an actual cleaning rod (or properly sized wooden dowel). However, if you use good ammunition, that is a very rare occurrence and, if it does happen, you would be better off taking the rifle to someone more knowledgeable anyway so they can remove it without damaging anything.

Otherwise, have fun shooting and remember to be safe! smile
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 09:49 AM

Here's my advice:

Before loading your rifle:

1. Go to this website and read the National Rifle Association firearms safety rules. http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

2. Check with your state Natural Resources Dept and see when the next firearms/hunter safety class is scheduled and sign up.

3. Join the NRA to preserve your right to do what you are doing now.

4. Go easy on the oil and solvents. You don't need much (if any) at all. Just wipe your rifle down if it gets rained on.

5. Buy a nice cloth gun case

6. Start saving your money for your next .22. You will buy more.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 03:10 PM

Congrats, that's a nice choice for a first gun. For ammo, I'm convinced that each .22lr likes a certain type. My Marlin 60 hates Remington Thunderbolt, while other guns like that crap. About every fifth round is a dead round or misfire in my Marlin 60. I went cheap on the .22lr ammo trying to save money. It turns out I'm actually paying more because of the dead rounds, misfires and the headache. CCI has been pretty good.

As for cleaning a .22lr, I have no plans to clean the bore of mine. I know two people who woke up one day and decided to clean the bore of their perfectly running .22lr rifle after not cleaning it for several years. Each said their gun was not the same afterward. It was less accurate, etc. If you do decide to clean the bore, make sure you are careful and don't treat it like a shotgun, a Glock or any other idiot-proof gun. A .22lr is not the same.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 08:13 PM

Hopefully my next purchase will be a shotgun! Tho I do not know what gauge I wish to go for. The Most commonly spoken of around here is 410 20 and 12. So far Im riding towards a 20 gauge.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 08:57 PM

Check the price-tag on shotgun ammo. You may find that 12 ga is: 1) more common with more variety and 2) least expensive.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/22/11 10:10 PM

I would recommend a 12 gauge hands down over the other calibers. Highly versatile and effective. As you get into center fire arms, it would also be time to think about reloading, a fascinating and economical hobby in its own right.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/23/11 05:40 AM

Hmmmm I was thinking of a 20 guage single shot for 80$ just to be my first to play with but ill check out the 12s too.

EDIT

And there we go!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/53818-55.html

Not bad For 114$ no? I can afford that! May not be a pump but Im sure itll be fun to shoot and usefull!
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/23/11 06:09 AM

I suggest an American Made 12 ga,if you don't like it,You can Probably get close to if not the cost of it,should you want to sell it/trade it!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/23/11 07:30 AM

Those single-shot break action shotguns can be a little bit rough to shoot. This is because they're somewhat light-weight, which makes recoil a bit more stout. The price is good on them, but the recoil issue can actually make them a somewhat poor choice for new shooters.

Personally, I would look around for a Mossberg 500 Bantam 20ga. The going price on them seems to be around $280. Great all around shotgun, as you can adjust the length of pull to match shooters of all statures, it has a comparatively short 22" barrel (makes it easier to maneuver), and it accepts choke tubes. Plus, unlike the Rossi, it's pump action with the ability to hold 5 shots.

A lot of people say to go with a 12ga, and there is a lot of logic in that, as 12ga is the most common shotgun chambering by far and, because of this, it's very versatile. However, I'm also a big fan of 20ga shotguns. You don't really save any money over a 12ga, but what you do get is a gun that's typically a little lighter, swings faster, and is handier, without as rough of recoil. Also interesting is that, while 12ga is most common, sometimes it's easier to find 20ga shells than 12ga, as they're still extremely common but with slightly less demand.

Finally, one really nice thing about 20ga shotguns is that the standard buck load for a 20ga is ~20 pellets of #3 buckshot. This is just about a perfect home defense load.

Massad Ayoob (a well known firearms instructor) had a neat article on the 20ga shotgun a while back. Basically he said, unless you are going after big water-fowl (or big-bear), a 20ga shotgun can do everything a 12ga can and is arguably better at it. It's a good read:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob120.html

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/23/11 07:36 AM

If you stick with one of the "standard" shotguns (Mossberg 500 or Remington 870) there are a wealth of accessories for both models if you ever want to modify them.

One way around the 12 ga. recoil issue is reduced recoil rounds. I understand they are just as effective at closer range.
Posted by: TimDex

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/23/11 11:16 AM

Here's another vote for a 20 ga shotgun. I bought a mossberg bantam (designed for women and children with a shorter pull) several years ago at a "big mart" store and have been very happy with it. Not as much kick as a 12, more compact, and I find it easier to use. With the shorter pull, it can also be used by all members of the family. The shorter pull does not at all interfere with its use by a adult man.

With a 22, a shotgun, and throw in a lever action 30-30, you're pretty complete. (Lever actions are one gun I would buy used. There are always a lot of them in a local gunsmith's. They are likely to have been owned by a working guy or farmer who took care of his tools and are very likely not to have been shot out with high powered loads.) You can also get a new cheap Marlin 30-30 at a mart store.

Hint: Spend as much time shooting as looking at gun catalogs and you'll be pretty darn good.

TimW

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/23/11 02:42 PM

If you just got your first firearm - that Marlin 795 - I would wait a while, shoot it first, get to know firearms, and only then start looking at other guns. No offense intended, but at this stage of the game you don't know what you want yet or why you want it, and you could rush in and make an impulse purchase that might be the wrong choice.

First you have to ask yourself, "Why do I want a shotgun?" Do you plan to hunt? Want it for self defense? Trap/skeet shooting? All of these things will make a difference in what you ultimately choose. If you have no plan or defineable need for a shotgun, you might consider something else as your second gun. A .22 handgun might be a more logical choice. Leave the shotgun for gun #3 or #4 unless you can specifically say what you want it for. I think everybody should own a shotgun in their collection, but maybe not as gun #2.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 02:13 AM

Ive been thinking about what firearms i wish to purchase for a very long time now. At the very least I would like to end up with my 22 a 20cal shotgun, 308 hunting rifle, 223 AR and a 9mm Pistol. At the very least for reasoning towards owning is just fun plinking even with the cost.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
If you just got your first firearm - that Marlin 795 - I would wait a while, shoot it first, get to know firearms, and only then start looking at other guns. No offense intended, but at this stage of the game you don't know what you want yet or why you want it, and you could rush in and make an impulse purchase that might be the wrong choice.

+1. A firearm is a tool like any other. Figure out what problem you need to solve, then find the tool that fits.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
+1. A firearm is a tool like any other. Figure out what problem you need to solve, then find the tool that fits.

Not only this but I see Firearms as sporting equipment aswell for target shooting.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 03:12 AM

If the problem to be solved is (or includes) entertainment, then IMO you've already solved it by buying a .22.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 03:18 AM

Ive been thinking about what firearms i wish to purchase for a very long time now. At the very least I would like to end up with my 22 a 20cal shotgun, 308 hunting rifle, 223 AR and a 9mm Pistol. At the very least for reasoning towards owning is just fun plinking even with the cost.

You've got a good list there. Each firearm being unique from the others (in terms of purpose). Add a .357mag revolver and a pneumatic air rifle and you're all set IMHO.

If you don't currently hunt, and don't really plan to except during some emergency disaster situation, for that .308 you could substitute something simpler and a whole lot cheaper. Like a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R. Just as powerful as a .308, but not as sexy (unless you go ga-ga over military surplus rifles - as I do). If you want a visual primer on Mosin Nagants, watch "Enemy At The Gates" or "Defiance". Good movies. Those Mosins can run less than $100 and ammo is around $75 for 440 rounds (and it's plentiful). Very accurate, powerful, bolt action. Stick the bayonet on there and it's probably as long as you are tall. A hoot to shoot! Lots of chioces in the "large game hunting" class: .30-06, .270, .308, 7.62x54R, 8x57, and on and on. A surplus German Mauser or Russian Mosin will serve the purpose just as well as an expensive rifle. And face it, you're just NOT going to be buying .308 ammo at 440 rounds for $75.

But I digress... By the time you get to this point, you will already own five .22's, multiple mid-range calibers, a dozen handguns, and you'll be buying these guns just because you WANT them. You won't be trying to JUSTIFY why you need them anymore. It gets real expensive at this point. Ask me how I know!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
If the problem to be solved is (or includes) entertainment, then IMO you've already solved it by buying a .22.

But but but! Then thats like playing the same video game over and over and over and over again!

Originally Posted By: haertig
Like a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54R.

I thought about it but Every Surplus rifle for around that price I seen looks like its been ran over by a tank a few times. If you could point me in the direction of a good dealer with rifles in which the wood is in decent shape as well as the metal that would be wonderful. Till then a 300$ Hunting rifle will have to do.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 06:04 AM

If you could point me in the direction of a good dealer with rifles in which the wood is in decent shape as well as the metal that would be wonderful.

I bought my Mosin locally. I was able to inspect it and pick the best from the batch the dealer had. Not everyone is as lucky.

Buy from a place with a good reputation. Here are a few:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=256&name=Russian+1891%2f30+7.62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Rifles

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/c/c-r-guns/p/mosin-nagant-91-30-round-receiver-rifle%2C-7-62x54r-caliber-/cPath/290/products_id/1041

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8970&dir=700|701|1029

http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 06:16 AM

Omg the One in the pictures in aimsurplus is beautiful! I never seen one for sale in such good condition locally. I LOVE the light color of the wood around here the wood is always a awefull dark discolored rough color and usually missing alot of the finnish. I think imma look into getting one from Aimsurplus! many many thanks!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 06:26 AM

Also What is the best way of storing 22 ammunition? Ive heard many methods but none are as organized as I prefer often just filling containers. The best I have heard is filling mason jars but Im looking for a way to store them more arranged and aligned. At the most I may store the box's as is in Tupperware or Drybox's.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 06:55 AM

The most important thing with ammo is storing it in a cool, dry, place. With that said, ammo is amazingly resilient. I've shot rimfire ammo that's been left outside (in the rain and snow) for weeks and it still functioned just fine.

Anyway, I store my ammunition in ammo cans or dry-boxes. Make sure the seals are good on the can/box, toss in a desiccant pack with it, and the stuff will outlive you no problem.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 07:09 AM

Ammo cans sold locally here are rusted out dirt laden junk even at gander mountain sad. Looks like imma go with dry boxs tho they are almost just a modern form of ammo cans.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 10:07 AM

I haven't checked the market lately, but why not just get some surplus ammo cans? They are great for lots of application, including storing ammo ( what a concept!). They last forever....

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 03:50 PM

Thar it is!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 04:32 PM

I think imma look into getting one from Aimsurplus!

Don't forget the ammo. Dirt cheap.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?i...&groupid=40

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 04:43 PM

I LOVE the light color of the wood

If you decide to buy, be sure to call and ask about getting one with light wood. The pictures on their website are representative, but not the exact rifle you would be getting. I'd pay their extra $10 "hand select" fee and have them pick you out the best of the lot with the light wood you like. Ask them if they will do that. The hand pick person might prefer dark wood and hand pick you something that HE likes, not what YOU like. So ask about getting what YOU want.

Remember there will be shipping cost added to the cost of the rifle. I'd estimate about $25. And they have to ship to a local FFL in your area where you then go pick it up. Most FFL's charge about $20 for that service. Some will do it for less. So when that $69 price gets you drooling, it will actualy come out a bit over a hundred when all is said and done. Still, pretty darn cheap!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 05:52 PM

You should see some of the surplus rifles being pawned off around here. Most of them look like 1000 year old logs freshly pulled out of a swamp.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/24/11 05:56 PM

Great I googled marlin 795s looking for more info and got my own Topic on the first page how interesting.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/27/11 08:35 PM

Shot ma gun! YAY The CCI AR Tactical was perfect No jams misfires nuthin! They worked perfectly In my marlin 795 and a marlin 39A.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/27/11 10:56 PM

What were your groups like?

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/28/11 02:47 AM

My groups stunk big time I havent shot much but Im learning! I really need to replace the sights with techsights or even a cheapo scope.

Hey Izzy Id suggest against henrys and go with brownings instead. The henrys I looked at were poorly put together and the wood always wiggled a concerning amount.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/28274-55.html

For the added price Im sure it will last you a lot longer then a henry. The henrys I looked at were all new the browning i looked at was used at a gunshow and still felt a lot better then he henrys which felt more like cheap BB guns then 22 rifles.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/28/11 03:39 AM

Alright so I got a lot of rounds left and now I wanna store them would it be ok to store them in mason jars without any form of desiccant?

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/28/11 03:53 AM

Whats left over, the Mason jar took the unopened box of 375 rounds perfectly to the rim the rest have been dipped into and I think im gonna keep that open in the box.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/28/11 01:28 PM

Alright so I got a lot of rounds left and now I wanna store them would it be ok to store them in mason jars without any form of desiccant?

I've never needed to use desiccant with stored ammo. I use dry boxes and have never had a problem.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/28/11 09:54 PM

The henrys I looked at were poorly put together and the wood always wiggled a concerning amount .... felt a lot better then he henrys which felt more like cheap BB guns then 22 rifles.

???

This is an odd comment. You bought a Marlin 795 and are complaining about Henry's "inferior" quality??? Don't get me wrong, a Marlin 795 is a fine starter rifle. But it's not in the same class, either quality-wise or accuracy-wise, as the Henry. I own both and have shot many many rounds through both. The Henry slaps the Marlin down every time. But like I said, the Marlin is a good rifle to start out with or just to plink around with. It's usually the rifle I recommend to new folks just starting out in firearms who don't know what they want, or don't have much money available.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/29/11 12:03 AM

Sorry to offend Im just stating my opinion from what I saw when handling two brand new henrys at two different Stores Compared to a used Browning for the same price. I have no doubt the Henry will preform well.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/29/11 12:33 AM

Not offended, just very surprised. Every Henry I've handled, both mine, my friends, and models on the rack in stores have been rock solid in feel. Fantastically smooth actions, no wobble of the wood stocks, well fitted, and very nicely finished wood. Every one I've shot has been dead nuts accurate. I have not handled a Browning .22, but I have handled a Browning BLR lever action .308. That one was exquisitely beautiful. Brownings have a good reputation. I believe they are quite a bit more expensive then the Henrys and Marlins. I wouldn't hesitate to consider a Browning if I had the cash and needed another .22 (I already have nine of them!) For the price of the Browning, I'd probably consider a CZ first. I don't have a CZ either, ... yet!

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/29/11 12:43 AM

If I had the cash Id Skip henry And browning and get a Marlin 39A. Shooting That rifle was just amazing! breaking it down showed just how simple and heavy duty it is AND the barrel is a 30-30 barrel milled out for 22 instead. Its one of them firearms that would be passed down for generations with little wear or tear on it.

EDIT
Hmmm Cant find info on the barrel but i was informed By a few people at the store and gunshow the barrel is pretty much a 30-30 milled for 22 ither way its much thicker then other 22 barrels i have seen.

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/29/11 03:27 AM

My Henry youth gun is a solid rifle and I've got thousands upon thousands of rounds through it with no issues. Where did the ones you played with wobble? More than likely it just needed to have the buttstock screw tightened (the buttstock comes off with one long bolt, and if it's loose the buttstock will wiggle a little). It's the same with the foregrip, it's held on by one long screw and if it's loose the foregrip might move a little.

My little Henry is actually one of my favorite .22's. It will feed and fire all .22LR, .22L, and .22S rounds just fine [.22 shorts are great for small pest control or backyard target shooting]. It's very compact [overall length is only 33", which is ~7" shorter than a standard Marlin 39A or Browning BL-22]. It's very light [at around 4.5 lbs]....and finally, I really like the hooded front sight, as it can be extremely quick to aim when hunting small game.

Another upside to Henry is that they have one of the best warranties in the business, they pretty much go out of their way to make sure you're satisfied. Amazingly, if you e-mail the company, Anthony Imperato (the owner) will more often than not answer your e-mail personally.

Do they make the highest quality guns out there? Not really, as they use a lot of cast parts and some plastic here and there (less on their higher end guns). However, they make an awesome gun for the money and they're reliable, which is what counts. Plus all the components for them are made right here in the USA.

I mean, I paid the same price for my little Henry as I did for a compact 10/22, and I would take the Henry over the Ruger. To get a better quality lever rifle, one would probably have to go with a Browning BL-22 or a Marlin 39A, which are around double the price at least....and a lot of people have had issues with newer Marlin 39A's (specifically related to poor extraction and light-strikes from the rebounding hammer).

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/29/11 05:53 AM

If I had the cash Id Skip henry And browning and get a Marlin 39A.

Be sure and get an older one (buy it used). The newer ones are not so good anymore. Marlins quality and customer service has been going downhill in recent years. They still make pretty decent rifles, but not up to the standards they set in years past. My Marlin 981T (bolt action tube-fed .22) is my favorite Marlin. But even that one came to me with problems from the factory. The crown looked like a monkey created it with an off balance hand drill. But after I recrowned it myself, it's been a sweet shooter. And sadly it's not just Marlin - I've noticed quality dropping off with other manufacturers as well. Sigh...

This thread has strayed way off target. Enjoy your new Marlin 795! They are fun guns to plink around with. They are surprisingly accurate and don't jam when fed decent ammo. It's hard to believe they can sell this rifle as cheap as they do. I put a WGRS-54 rear aperture sight and a TechSight front post sight on my 795 and I love shooting it with that setup. A small scope would be nice too (I like the inexpensive Simmons 22Mag 4x32 for .22 plinking). The one thing I am looking to change on my 795 is the magazine catch. I hate that. But I haven't figured out how to alter it yet. Maybe somebody will come out with a third party replacement release. I'd snap one of those up in a hurry.

If they have Appleseeds in your area, I highly recommend attending one of those shoots. You will learn a lot and have a mess of fun! Your 795 is the perfect rifle for an Appleseed.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: My First Firearm Hurray! - 03/30/11 03:51 PM

Congrats on your new rifle. I would recommend you find an Appleseed shoot near you and learn how to shoot it safely and well. We see lots of 795's on the line these days.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Good luck!

Greg