Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band?

Posted by: dweste

Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/08/11 05:54 AM

Recent land and sea adventures convince me I need to find a solid wrist band, watch, and compass. I like the looks of the stuff designed for divers, especially those solar powered and "atomic" radio time calibrated watches and the "side window" compasses.

Years ago my favorite band had the "pin" mounts on top of the solid band, so that losing a pin did not mean losing the band, and had snap down covers to go over the watch and compass faces. The band saved a lot of wear and tear on the instruments and the instruments themselves a few times when one or another of the pins disappeared. I cannot locate such a thing today.

So, thoughts?

Thanks.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/08/11 12:48 PM

My preference is any of several Casio or Timex Expedition models that feature both a compass and watch. I have used them for several years with complete satisfaction. The compass works nicely as a backup which I have rarely used - it is still nice to have, at virtually no cost in bulk and weight.

The watches of this type have kept adequate time for normal applications (anything short of chronometric navigation); I will adjust them about once a year. If I need to know the time with real precision, I consult my GPS and/or cellphone.

The bands have held up nicely to vigorous outdoor use. When the watch dies, it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to get a replacement.

Dive watches became functionally obsolete with the development of the dive computer. Most of them now smell suspiciously of bling....
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/08/11 01:38 PM

First I am going to politely reply that analog dive time measurement is not dead in light of dive computers as I don't own one.

My setup, a Pulsar divers watch (with solar face), re-mounted on "The Band" (available at REI and probably others) velcro based watch band, with a Suunto clipper compass clipped to the band. The compass is on the inside so that it faces up if my arm is in the position to hold a handgun or whatever.

This setup has worked for me well for two years now. The only complaint I have is the crystal on the watch is scratched as the crystal is slightly domed. When it goes I am going back to a Seiko automatic divers watch. Although I might try the Luminox deep divers watch with tritium.

http://www.luminox.com/about/deep-dive/

Bill

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/08/11 02:09 PM

I should have noted that I only freedive these days, having concluded the extra gear, bulk, and expense of SCUBA is not for me.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/08/11 03:39 PM

Whilst at the local discount supermarket (Lidl) today I purchased one of these el cheapo AURIOL watches;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBzaKWj9iZ8

All for around $22. Certainly not the best but it has a Chronometer, an altimeter, a digital thermometer and a digital compass. If only it could tell me how far it was to the golf pin, but that would need a clever little GPS built in. It might look a little cheesy compared to a Luminox, but I suspect it will get the job done.

Posted by: jzmtl

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/08/11 08:25 PM

I killed my last watch swimming so I went for something really waterproof, a suunto core. On paper it only waterproof to 3 ATM, but much better than that in reality compare with other manufacturer's rating. Heck it even has a dive meter that goes down to 10 meters, and you can work the buttons underwater.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/09/11 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
... Most of them now smell suspiciously of bling....

I am guilty of having one of those; and I don't even dive. It is definitely "I wear it because I like it and it is way too cool." --
Invicta Russian Diver 3846 Quinotaur Rose Gold Men's Watch.

Standard Disclaimer

My $.02
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/09/11 02:52 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-MTG900DA-8V-G-Shock-Atomic-Tough/dp/B00134L8XU

This is probably my best watch ever, but not most expensive. I won't spend too much time explaining because everybody has their own little whims when it comes to watches.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/09/11 03:54 AM

I have a Victorinox Swiss Army watch,That is Going on 5yrs.Old,& Is Still operating Very Well,Despite Beating it to Purgatory & Beyond!It was a bargain for $120 almost 5yr ago!It's rated for 50m Depth,& Has the Original Black rubber band,Definitely as Tough as The SAK's are!For Compass navigation,My DR PSK is Always Available!
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/09/11 11:39 AM

That one's easy:
Posideon Sub-Deep for the watch and a Suunto Clipper for the compass. I've been using that combination for the past several years and I a'int managed to destroy either of them yet.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/09/11 11:56 AM

my favorite has been a timex expedition with digital compass. the only thing i didn't like about it was the light. it lit up only the numbers, not the entire watch face. the strap just broke after about 5 years and i'm on a mission to find a new strap.

http://www.google.ca/m/imgres?q=timex+expedition&start=26&site=images&imgid=ANd9GcS7z9Vto8FZdyrUSJ7J3dWg_VBwXODlrQcGVPLabwBBssN_JvUUgr0TsQ0&imgsz=31241&imgurl=http://bgwatches.co.uk/images/5006024135f.jpg&imgrefurl=http://bgwatches.co.uk/-p-449&ht=360&wd=450&tbnh=102&tbnw=127&ei=Znl3TbjGGoKuNqjkvOYD&ved=0CCIQ9QEwDDgO
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/10/11 06:09 PM

As you can tell by now, best is usually undefinable. We can only tell what works for us and what does not.

In my case I have two watches, a Wenger (I think the Battalion Diver) in Ti that works very well and is reasonably rugged. It is very light and works well when I am having trouble with my wrist. I also have a Seiko Automatic (also a divers watch -- they are certainly NOT dead or just for show, I dive with mine computer or no but then I carry lots of backups for anything as important as dive time). It is a brick but has lasted better than any watch I have ever had. I have had very poor luck with the many watches (particularly multifunction ones) because I beat them pretty hard, both physically and electrically (I am around lots of powerful electrical devices often).

I prefer the Suunto M-9 for a wrist compass, because like you I like the "side window". The Clipper is good, but I think the M-9 is MUCH better if you are really using it.

As for bands, this is an area where the "does not" is important. The band MUST contain the watch even if a pin is lost. Unfortunately, that does not include my favorite link bands. Maybe someday I will find one that has a strap under the watch. The simplest is just a nylon band with velcro or rings. I much prefer both or some other double locking mechanism. You can go up from there, my favorite was one I bought in New Zeland that had individual loops for the pins and a snap cover. Several are around with velcro covers, but then you make a lot of noise every time you want to look at your watch.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/11/11 12:47 PM

Take a look at "The Band". It goes over one pin, under the watch, then over the other pin. The entire piece is velcro so it velcros under the watch as well as completely around your wrist. Unless you bust both pins, it is not going anywhere.

Bill
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/13/11 12:01 PM

Dive watches became functionally obsolete with the development of the dive computer. Most of them now smell suspiciously of bling....
I have a Casio SPF 70 which had a depth gauge. The manual said not to rely on it for real diving, and the feature was worthless to me. I quickly came to hate that watch.

I now wear a PRO-1500, which was at the top of Casio's range when I bought it. I've had it for a few years now and I'm very pleased. It has altimeter, barometer and compass, solar powered and atomic signal update. It also shows phases of the moon and tides. I like gadgets. The strap is some kind of plastic, which I prefer over titanium.

The main thing it's lacking that I'd want, is sunrise and sunset times. (I do have a phone app for that, but I trust my watch more than my phone.)

The compass works nicely as a backup which I have rarely used - it is still nice to have, at virtually no cost in bulk and weight.
I think watches with digital compasses tend to be physically larger. Mine could be too big for some wrists. However, I agree it's good to have on you as a backup. I have also used it for trivial navigation, to help me orient myself in unfamiliar surroundings. Mainly in towns, where knowing the four compass points is enough precision.
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/13/11 06:12 PM

The nice thing about a good Casio is that you can get good quality in a disposable watch. Yeah, I said disposable. Some folks who pay $1,000 or more for a "rugged" watch like to brag about how they need get it tuned up regular for hundreds of dollars. For guys like me, a good Casio is inexpensive enough such you can throw it away if something breaks on it years down the road. I figure I got my due wear out of a watch if I paid about $200 and it lasted for 3+ years. However, the main reason for replacing my everyday Casio is usually boredom.

I admit that I'm kind of a watch snob in the sense that I have a strong preference for quality watches that are relatively inexpensive.

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/23/11 11:33 AM

I looked at all kinds of watch band compasses; most were suspect for diving and too small for me to read easily in dim light [underwater, deep forest, night]. Because I will be kayaking, doing some free diving, and other watersports, I decided to try wearing a dive compass.

Now wearing a Storm wrist compass; annoying small bubble inside - guess I will always be able to tell which way is up!

It is bulkier than ideal and the luminosity of the card is not very strong; so eventually it will be replaced to improve on those features. But on sale, in hand, and ready to play.

I can already tell I will need a different strap. My intent is to wear the compass on top of my wrist so I can sight through the side window for direction [as well as look down onto the compass face] and to wear the watch under my wrist - but the strap that came with the compass forces the buckle under the wrist. Maybe if I can find an affordable dive watch it will came with a more suitable strap. [Maybe not.]
Posted by: Pete

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/24/11 06:32 PM

Seems like I've owned various digital watches and compasses over the years, and very few are truly rugged. They all seem to bomb out ... when they've gone thru' rough-and-tough handling. OK, I can understand that a compass is a sensitive instrument. But somebody out there must design something that is industrial strength, isn't too bulky, and doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg. I'm still looking for nirvanna. :-)

Pete #2
Posted by: raptor

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/24/11 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: williamlatham
My setup, a Pulsar divers watch (with solar face), re-mounted on "The Band" (available at REI and probably others) velcro based watch band, with a Suunto clipper compass clipped to the band.

The Suunto Clipper is great little compass. I carry one too. But keep in mind that if you happen to drop it, all the parts of the compass might fall away and you may lose the part with the actual compass. When mine once fell and hit the hard ground it "disintegrated". All the parts fell away. This was in a store so I was able to quickly find them, pick them up and assemble the compass again.

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/28/11 12:33 PM

I have had that happen too. The bezel can pop out if you hit it just right. Easy to put back together though.

Bill

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/28/11 08:18 PM

Taken to school again: I have been wearing my new dive compass to get used to its functions, and was worried that it had a small bubble of air, worried again that the bubble was growing in size, and worried a third time that "north" was whatever direction I happened to be driving. Of course, I then realized the air bubble was useful in literally telling which way was up [not always obvious underwater], the bubble size changed with barometric pressure, as the storms moved through, and the compass was attracted to the engine of the vehicle.
Posted by: Mack

Re: Best waterproof watch, compass, wrist band? - 03/29/11 11:46 AM

Though I have a Suunto Observer (Ti) and a Momentum Pathfinder (technically rated to 100M), I always SCUBA with a Timex Ironman.

Its cheap enough that I prefer buying current models when the battery dies (instead of replacing batteries). I've never had issues so far (though my deepest dive was only between 180-200ft) and I find the alarm the best of all my watches.

Backcountry is often a toss up between the three mentioned, but the attraction in the Ironman, again, is that I don't cry if I scratch it up (or break it). $25-$35 is much easier to swallow.