Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!!

Posted by: Blast

Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 07:54 PM

They blew it up to be safe...
Link
crazy

-Blast
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 08:06 PM

I've got to make sure my kids keep track of their Hanukkah presents. The light sabers I got them make noise, and sound like, um, real light sabers.

Someone might call the police about a rampaging Jedi running amok in local playgrounds. . .
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 08:13 PM

This is probably more ridiculous than the London Metropolitan Police HP sauce terror incident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi...auce-spill.html
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 08:50 PM

Thank God the professionals are on the job. lol

HJ
Posted by: ireckon

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 09:20 PM

It's strange, but I'm not calling it ridiculous. I'll let experienced guys from a bomb squad judge how ridiculous this is. Apparently, they thought the toy could have been a bomb. I bet those guys generally have some great stories to tell.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 10:14 PM

We need a "face palm" smilie.

Fer real? What genius even called it in?

"Hello, 911, what's your emergency?"
"AAAAAAHHHHHH..... there's a TOY ROBOT!"

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 11:00 PM

It seemed according to the link that several people called it in. shocked

-Blast, weeping for the future...unless he gets to be the one blowing stuff up
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 11:00 PM

That is hilarious! I take it things were a little slow on that shift.

Instead of blowing it up, they should have shot at its feet and made it dance.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 11:06 PM

While this sounds pretty funny, it also seems somewhat suspicious. With the details that are available, it seems that DPD probably responded to this incident appropriately. Why in the heck would someone glue/cement a toy robot to a bridge support?

If anyone thinks that there aren't people in this country building explosive devices with intent to do harm to innocent civilians, they are mistaken.

IEDs have been popping up across the country, luckily they have been unsuccessful in producing functioning IEDs or setting them off prior to them being discovered and rendered safe. It is just a matter of time before some dirt bag gets it right.

I would be very surprised if we don't hear that Mr. Jakubec is linked to some of the IEDs that have been found in the southwest US.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 11:17 PM

For those unaware of who Mr. Jakubec is: Mr George Djura Jakubec's House is getting a controlled burn

Looks like Blast will miss another . .
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
I dont know if ya'll caught this HE hoarder in Escondido or not but I guess the authorities deemed the house too dangerous to clear and blew it in place eek
(ok they actually burned it down but that doesnt sound nearly as cool)

well actually the burning is scheduled for next week.

i might be mistaken, but haven't there been controlled burns in the forest that have gotten out of hand? recently?

and here we have a controlled burn WITH explosives.

i sure hope it goes ok.

i'm glad i don't live near there.

i just read the link in the above post.

i'm really glad i don't live near there.

even the firefighters are staying 300' away when this bad boy is lit.

they're not worried about an explosion, they're going to burn the chemicals. look out downwind!
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/02/10 11:41 PM

I hate to say it Alan, but I agree- it was odd that it was glued down. (Not hating to say it becuase it's you, but because it is a sign of the times.)

Now, does DPD's bot not have a disruptor (shotgun, waterjet, etc)? Little robot vs big robot, loser might not be as obvious as it seems.

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 12:02 AM

How would be the Denver Police cope with suspect Bomb Dogs? The bomb dogs not glued to the spot could potentially be more dangerous than the ones glued to the spot.

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 12:16 AM

Ironraven,

I don't know the why and how of EOD TTPs, but all the "render safe" operations I have been on recently where a package or device was destroyed explosives were used rather then a "disruptor". I am not sure why, but I am sure the EOD guys have a good reason.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Alan_Romania

IEDs have been popping up across the country

I agree it's rather unusual, but maybe extreme.

And, yes, IEDs have been all over the place, since some genius figured out a pipe bomb, mail box bomb, or fertilizer in a U-haul. Nothing new.

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 01:01 AM

What's stranger to me is seeing so many people confidently calling the bomb squad's actions ridiculous based only on what they read in the article.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 01:04 AM

I doubt we are going to learn what threat protocols are in place. I doubt the media coverage is complete or completely accurate, perhaps for good reasons.
Posted by: Susan

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 02:15 AM

I'll bet the bomb squad guys start finding little plastic robots in their lockers and set on their cars, beginning immediately.

You know what went through Blast's mind when he read that, don't you? You know you do.

Sue
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 02:17 AM

Likely some kid dropped, lost his/her robot nearby and some helpful person put it up where it would be more easily spotted by someone looking for it. You see that a lot with hubcaps, mittens, and hats.

Everyone must conform and fit in or they, and their luggage, will be shot, tased, thrown to the ground, beaten into submission, and probed. Not necessarily in that order.

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Susan
I'll bet the bomb squad guys start finding little plastic robots in their lockers and set on their cars, beginning immediately.

You know what went through Blast's mind when he read that, don't you? You know you do.

Sue

Time to buy glue and toy robots!!!
-Blast
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
For those unaware of who Mr. Jakubec is: Mr George Djura Jakubec's House is getting a controlled burn

Any indication of what this model citizen was going to do with all those explosives?

HJ

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 06:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Any indication of what this model citizen was going to do with all those explosives?

HJ

There is nothing but rumor right now, it will probably be a while before more details are public.
Posted by: DesertFox

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 02:28 PM

Methinks Blast is suffering "Blast Envy". The cops got to blow something up and got paid for it. Admit it Blast, you read the article and called to see if they take volunteers.

Here's my favorite part of the article:

"Some pedestrians, unable to reach their vehicles at a lot adjacent to the robot, decided to wait it out at a bar on 20th Street, asking uniformed officers to let them know when the road reopened."

To which the nice policeman probably replied, "No problem guys, I enjoy hitting my DWI quota so early in the month."
Posted by: Russ

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 06:13 PM

More on the Escondido bomb factory at http://www.signonsandiego.com/ Click the video . .
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/03/10 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: Russ

HJ

Well, he's already wanted in connection with a couple of bank robberies.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Bomb-House-Suspect-Indicted-on-8-Counts--111268289.html

It could be for an attempt to break into something heavier (Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch? grin), or it could be political. There's a county court house, a bunch of military bases, and general whatnot in the area eek. I kinda doubt he went through all that trouble just to blow up his gardner.

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/04/10 10:36 PM

Of course its best left to policeman plod and the bomb squad to get on with it otherwise you could be arrested as a terrorist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...--arrested.html

Anyone fancy a Pint.

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/04/10 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Of course its best left to policeman plod and the bomb squad to get on with it otherwise you could be arrested as a terrorist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...--arrested.html

Anyone fancy a Pint.

Here's what the man's own lawyer says:

Quote:
'What he did was stupid,' Mr Kendall admitted. 'Had the device been explosive then he would clearly have endangered his own safety...

Is that how lawyers typically defend their clients over there in the UK? That guy needs new representation.
Posted by: Mark_R

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/05/10 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Is that how lawyers typically defend their clients over there in the UK? That guy needs new representation.

I've seen lawyers use that tactic used in the middle and far east to reduce the culpability of the their clients. I've never seen "Don't blame him, he's an idiot" used in an english speaking country. If that happened here, the lawyer would have been saying that the police overreacted.

On the other hand, maybe his client really is a hot tempered #$%^& and the lawyer's trying to keep him away from the media.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Denver police: Protecting you from THE UNKNOWN!! - 12/05/10 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast

-Blast, weeping for the future...unless he gets to be the one blowing stuff up

I'm pretty sure that is the motivation of those bomb squad people. With the current level of paranoia they can pretty much blow up ANYTHING "just to be safe".

It would actually be fun were it not for the fact that each time they do that they just add to the paranoia...