First good rain means Mushrooms!

Posted by: dweste

First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/17/10 07:59 PM

Here in California we are getting our first good rain. That means the first winter mushroom "blooms" will begin soon and continue until the snow.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/18/10 07:25 PM

We didn't get a GOOD rain frown We got a drizzle almost all day yesterday and last night. This morning I went out, and under the pine and fir trees that are large it was still dry frown It was drizzling enough that the gutters were making water slush sounds, and it was running off my wood shed roof onto me as I worked.

I was hoping for some serious good rain frown But nope.

At least it helped somewhat for fires: )

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/18/10 08:17 PM

Thanks for the report, Todd!

I heard it rained longer and more further up the hills, but have not checked the National Weather Service numbers yet
Posted by: Todd W

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/18/10 09:26 PM

It is in the upper 60s today low 70s (For an hour maybe). So any dampness will dry out fast in the non-shaded areas. In the shade it's been damp since my last rain a week or two ago. So you may have some luck here soon smile

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/21/10 04:41 AM

More rain in the end of week and weekend forecast.
Posted by: sotto

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/21/10 01:47 PM

Driving around in one of the SoCal neighborhoods yesterday I saw two big clusters of Laetiporus cincinnatus (a "chicken of the woods" sulphur shelf fungi) on a tree along the curb.

What else turns up down in this area?

Many thanks.
Posted by: katarin

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/24/10 07:57 AM

Originally Posted By: dweste
More rain in the end of week and weekend forecast.

Does this mean it's almost time to go hunting for the wiley morels?? Maybe this time you and R will find some
kat

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/24/10 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: katarin
Does this mean it's almost time to go hunting for the wiley morels?? Maybe this time you and R will find some kat

Morels come in the Spring, but the trauma of being the only two out of dozens of hunters to come away empty-handed that time lingers in memory. If only we had friends who shared ..., heck, if only we had friends!

Nice to see your post, Kat.
Posted by: katarin

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/24/10 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Does this mean it's almost time to go hunting for the wiley morels?? Maybe this time you and R will find some kat

Morels come in the Spring, but the trauma of being the only two out of dozens of hunters to come away empty-handed that time lingers in memory. If only we had friends who shared ..., heck, if only we had friends!

Nice to see your post, Kat.

Ahh i forgot.. Next time I promise if i find any I'll share em with you..

nice to be able to be on for once

Re: First good rain means Mushrooms! - 10/24/10 07:30 PM

Next time I promise if i find any I'll share em with you..

Thanks, friend!

As I recall we hunted in all the wrong places, found a handful of very small specimens, and, confronted with the bags of large morels you all had, we failed to sell the idea that we discovered the rare Sierra Mini-Morel.