Best individually-packaged coffee?

Posted by: Susan

Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/08/10 03:28 PM

I am making up a survival kit for my co-driver. We sometimes have to go off-road to get to our crews. Winter is coming, and I found a spot in his vehicle that could hold a bag of necessities. I've got most of the stuff collected.

He's a coffee drinker. I'd like to include some decent individually-packaged bags (like teabags), preferably sealed in foil. Just regular coffee at regular strength, he hates expresso.

But I don't drink coffee, so I'm kind of out in the wilderness here, taste-wise.

Any suggestions?

Sue
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/08/10 04:10 PM

The starbucks stuff is pretty good. It's called Via

http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/starbucks-via-instant-coffee
Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/08/10 04:18 PM

Hi Susan,

I've used Folgers coffee bags and they were sealed in foil. They really were not too bad. I've also heard good things about the Starbucks Via, but I personally have not tried them. I'm thinking the Folgers is probably cheaper. I seem to recall, and please don't quote me on this, but I think the Via runs about $1 per serving.

LW
Posted by: Arney

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/08/10 04:48 PM

I agree that Starbucks Via is as good as I've found.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/08/10 07:13 PM

You can get individual bags of Folgers or Taster's Choice but the Starbucks via is far closer to the taste of brewed.
Posted by: LED

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/08/10 08:34 PM

Agreed on Starbucks. Best instant out there.
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 01:35 AM

Starbucks Via is the best that I have tried. It is a rather strong cup though (I enjoy strong coffee, but many prefer it weaker than Starbucks strength so add extra water) Another cheaper alternative is Nescafe Tasters Choice Colombian Blend. Its cheaper and is drinkable. It is not in the league of Via but it passes most coffee drinkers levels of acceptability. Just my .02
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Susan
He's a coffee drinker. I'd like to include some decent individually-packaged bags (like teabags), preferably sealed in foil. Just regular coffee at regular strength, he hates expresso.

Folgers singles - foil packet and coffee that tastes like coffee.

Edited to add: I haven't tried the starbucks so I don't know how the two stack up head to head

+1 on the Folgers. Has both regular and instant coffee in the same 'teabag' so it brews a single cup quick and tastes like real brewed coffee. We use it in camp and at home when we dont want to brew a whole pot. I see it in most grocery stores.
Posted by: ame

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 10:35 AM

Maxim coffee sticks from Korea:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Maxim-Mocha-Gold-Mild-100-sticks-Coffee-mix-Korea-/180490134792

Try your local Asian supermarket (there are Japanese, Thai and Singaporean equivalents of the 3-in-1 instant coffee packets). The stick form is the most convenient, as you can use the packet as a stirrer. Inside is a measure of instant coffee granules, creamer and sugar. You can grip the stick near the end to trap some or all of the sugar. Each stick makes a small cup (about 4oz), but you can adjust this to taste.

There are other brands here in Korea. Maxim is the best, and Taster's Choice is awful. Each brand seems to have three levels of quality. Red- low level (not entirely unpleasant). Yellow- medium (drinkable). Brown- high quality (noticeably better, but still instant). There is also green for decaf.

Very common and very popular over here, together with little paper cups to make it in.

A
Posted by: Matt26

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 11:51 AM

I love coffee! Via is absolutely hands down the best instant coffee I have ever had.
I liked it so much I posted Here
Posted by: comms

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 01:44 PM

sbux via. hands down
Posted by: sotto

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: ame
Maxim coffee sticks from Korea:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Maxim-Mocha-Gold-Mild-100-sticks-Coffee-mix-Korea-/180490134792

Try your local Asian supermarket (there are Japanese, Thai and Singaporean equivalents of the 3-in-1 instant coffee packets). The stick form is the most convenient, as you can use the packet as a stirrer. Inside is a measure of instant coffee granules, creamer and sugar. You can grip the stick near the end to trap some or all of the sugar. Each stick makes a small cup (about 4oz), but you can adjust this to taste.

There are other brands here in Korea. Maxim is the best, and Taster's Choice is awful. Each brand seems to have three levels of quality. Red- low level (not entirely unpleasant). Yellow- medium (drinkable). Brown- high quality (noticeably better, but still instant). There is also green for decaf.

Very common and very popular over here, together with little paper cups to make it in.

A

Never tried the Starbucks instant coffee. Some of their coffee drinks I like. But, I can't go in the place without thinking of comedian Jackie Mason's bit on Starbucks: "They soive boint (translation: burnt) coffee in Starbucks! You can go down to the corner diner and get great coffee for a quarter. But you go in Starbucks and pay $3.50 for a cup of what? Boint coffee!!"

Also, I know Susan said "straight" coffee, but for those of you who might be interested, I found a gold mine of instant coffee for those who like Thai coffee (sweet, creamed, moderately strong coffee). It's the DeDe brand (made in Thailand) of "Instant Thai Coffee Drink". It's another example of the 3-in-1 stuff, but unlike a lot of it, this one doesn't list corn sweeteners as one of the ingredients--only sugar. It's delectable, even better with some hot half 'n half added. I can lift my pickup with my non-dominant hand after drinking a cup of it. The only place I've seen it, though, is at the Hawaiian Grocery in "new" China town in Alhambra east of Los Angeles. FYI, they also make DeDe Instant Thai iced tea drink that's phenomenal. The secret to that is to mix it up in a half cup of very hot water, then fill the cup the rest of the way with ice. Deeeeelectable, and so convenient, too!
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 04:09 PM

I like the Melangeris Colombia Blend. Its pretty expensive though from the local discount store, costing $2.30 (£1.49) for 18 Coffee pods (bags) i.e $0.13 per pod.

Real brewed coffee, not the instant or as Starbucks would say 'soluble' with their Via instant brand coffee tastes much better. Apparently soluble coffee is 5-10 times the price of other instant brands and is really no better than British Army Coffee in their latest Multiclimate Ration Packs with their Kenco smooth roast instant sachets at $0.11 per sachet compared to the Starbucks Via at $0.58 per sachet.

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 09:23 PM

I've experimented with making my own coffee pods using large tea bags and fresh ground coffee. No matter what grind I use the infusion takes too long and the oils don't make it out of the bag. Then again, I use a french press so everything else tastes like brown water anyway. As I understand it, Via has 1/2 ground coffee 1/2 instant, so you get some direct mixing of grounds/water. Trust me, I'm no fan of instant coffee. Even starbucks Via is a barely tolerable replacement.
Posted by: NAro

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 10:12 PM

Susan, that's very nice of you. I absolutely agree with many of the votes for Starbucks Via. Even if it is the most costly. With Tasters Choice or Folgers singles, I really have to use 2 to get any flavor. FWIW, the Starbucks is by far more compact, too.
Posted by: sybert777

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/09/10 11:50 PM

Although I do not recomend this, I am going to say... Military Espresso!! It is simple, 1 pack of Via, 1 pack of creamer, and 1 pack of sugar! open all 3 packets, pour in mouth, and wash it down with hot water! I never tried it because it sounds Gross! but +1 on the Via!
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/10/10 12:04 AM

Individual serving, that would be 3/4 cup of generic coffee, double that for night shift widening, and two quarts of water. Drip is okay, but to get the most umph use a percolator, electric or stove-top, and run it for north of twenty minutes to get the most lift. Serve black and hot, by the quart.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/10/10 03:04 AM

Military style also included cutting a strip from your Israeli bandage,& Rolling it full of Instant coffee&used coffee grounds that were saved/salvaged,tied up with thread,& pushed into your 1/2 full canteen with some thread hanging out,cap back on,& Shake the daylights out of it,Voila!You then had something other than boring water,to drink!I recall a few guy's adding Snuff to their concoction,to give it a Kick!
Posted by: Russ

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/10/10 03:36 PM

Best for me? Definitely not cheapest. . . First I looked around and found the Snow Peak Ti French Press, that's what I will use as a container for the truck coffee kit. Next I will pick up some non-ground coffee beans. Next I will need a decent hand grinder that can do a consistent coarse grind. . . any suggestions? Grind them too soon and they oxidize, and then the flavor is flat. . . Does smashing beans get a consistent grind? Either than or I use a knife and just cut them. . . too slow. A 12 volt grinder would be great. . .

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/10/10 06:00 PM

I have a hand grinder from REI purchsed years ago and the grind is inconsistent and too fine for a press. Tried smashing beans with a mortar and pestle set ($10 IKEA) and that seemed to work much better for emergency home use. Although not as efficent you could always use an inverter. My Braun grinder says 150W which the inverter should be able to handle for short periods.
Posted by: nouseforaname

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/10/10 06:05 PM

SB Via is the way to go.

PM sent.

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/11/10 01:27 AM

You can make your own portion packs by cutting the toes off a pair of pantyhose. Pour suitable amount of ground coffee in and tie in a knot. Store it in a zip-lock bag. Drop in a pot, add water, boil. With a little luck and care you can reuse the 'filter'. Fine grounds make the coffee a little chunky. I don't mind my coffee a little chunky.

People with delicate dispositions can run the brew through a standard coffee filter to take out the fine grounds.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/11/10 01:31 AM

My French Press leaves the coffee a tad chunky too, but the solids settle to the bottom, not really noticeable until that last swallow.

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/11/10 11:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the reviews, guys!

Sue
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/12/10 11:57 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
Agreed on Starbucks. Best instant out there.
starbucks is really good! not sure about the cost factor but it's the best tasting single-serving coffee i've tried.

starbucks makes an insulated travel mug thing, that hold a half-dozen ind. packs of coffee but i wouldn't recommend buying that. the lid isn't very secure and it doesn't look very durable.
Posted by: Brangdon

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/12/10 12:24 PM

Different people have different tastes. I think you should find out what he likes to drink at home, and then see if the same brand comes in individual sachets.

I personally like Nescafe Instant (which some would say means I have no taste at all). Nescafe also do various sachets, which to me seem like the best option. I keep their Cappuccino sachets in the house for when the milk runs out.
Posted by: bacpacjac

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/12/10 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Different people have different tastes. I think you should find out what he likes to drink at home, and then see if the same brand comes in individual sachets.

now that makes sense!

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/13/10 05:18 AM

"I think you should find out what he likes to drink at home..."

He doesn't seem to be THAT particular... after all he drinks RR coffee, and how good can company-provided coffee that's been sitting for 4 or 5 hours on the burner BE? I just know he doesn't like expresso, etc.

I wanted something decent, as I think it would be more comforting if it came right down to NEEDING it.

Even with chocolate and lots of sugar, to me it tastes like puddle water with a lot of old rotting bark soaking in it.

Sue
Posted by: BruceZed

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/13/10 03:39 PM

Starbucks VIA
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/13/10 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Susan
"RR coffee, and how good can company-provided coffee that's been sitting for 4 or 5 hours on the burner BE?"

That's the best stuff on earth - military grade coffee, once you let some of the water content steam off it'll keep you going 'till the jobs done. Plus it keeps gastroenterologists in business.

Ah yes, I know it well. Highly effective degreaser for engine parts. Kills foot fungus. Resembles the settling pond at the local Esso refinery. Mmm-mmm-good. grin
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/13/10 10:46 PM

If space is available in your kit and you like espresso then one of these gadgets to go along with those coffee pods might do the trick.

http://www.handpresso.fr/products/video/video-EN.html

Re: Best individually-packaged coffee? - 09/14/10 01:31 AM

Any military-grade coffee that is still hot can be used to strip the top layers of wax off linoleum. Dump the pot where the old wax is thickest and mop up.

Boiling hot coffee poured into the action of a firearm will wash away grit, sand and dust that is trapped by the grease and oils.

Grounds that are still wet can be used as sweeping compound and will gather up grit, hair, and dust if spread liberally and then swept up.

Dried grounds used in a sandblaster will remove tarnish and polish soft metals. Saturated with wood glue dry coffee grounds makes a useful filler.