Need help finding something

Posted by: LumpyJaw

Need help finding something - 08/31/10 12:12 PM

Have tried for a few days to find a particular knife that I found online sometime last year. I think it is made by Cold Steel and it might be considered a "machete style" blade. If I remember correctly, it was about a foot or so long, squared on the end with a saw-tooth back. I first saw it on another site as part of a bug out bag contest and thought it might be a good piece to look into. Thanks to a computer crash at work, I lost most of my non-work related stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Posted by: LesSnyder

Re: Need help finding something - 08/31/10 12:43 PM

cold steel's heavy machete has a squared off blade, but don't think it has saw teeth...Ontario makes a GI blade with teeth...a lot of guys down here chop Ontarios to 12-14inches with a slight reverse (edge longer than spine)profile... it is getting popular to do a Scandanavian sharpen on the first 6-8 inches from handle with thinner angle for finer work requiring sharper blade...
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: Need help finding something - 08/31/10 01:06 PM

That's it! Thank you NightHiker. I had the description right but the wrong company. Appreciate it.
Posted by: Kona1

Re: Need help finding something - 09/05/10 03:15 AM

I have one of these and although I like it overall I was very disappointed with the saw back's ineffectiveness, the best you can do is a shallow notch. The tool is also quite heavy for its size.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Need help finding something - 09/05/10 06:40 AM

The saw back is really only good to notch but that's to be expected on such a thick knife. It really shines when given wood to chop or baton...and it works pretty well on fingers, too! shocked
Posted by: Frisket

Re: Need help finding something - 09/07/10 03:50 AM

I really been wanting one of these but the saw blade turns me off on them. Think there's anyway to order one without the sawblade possibly straight from ontario?
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: Need help finding something - 09/07/10 08:20 AM

I don't recall ever seeing one without the sawback. Initially I didn't like it but eventually I 1) realized it's useful for scoring and 2) didn't really interfere with any of the other uses I had for the knife. So ultimately I just live with it.