Forum Software Upgrade

Posted by: Anonymous

Forum Software Upgrade - 08/31/10 01:10 AM

First off - sorry for the mid-evening update, I woefully underestimated the time required. I promise more notice next time.

I did want to point out that the new forum software allows folks to Tweet a post, as well as share/like a post via Facebook.

Enjoy!
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 08/31/10 02:12 AM

Hey Rick, I just wanted to chime in and voice my appreciation for your efforts.
Cheers,
Doug
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 08/31/10 06:09 PM

I wondered what the "social networking" blocked by admin message was at the bottom of the forums (at work) smile

Have you ever heard of a board plugin called tapatalk?

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 08/31/10 07:28 PM

I have - I've seen it in use on one of the other boards I frequent, but with mixed results. Unfortunately Tapatalk doesn't support UBBThreads.

From the Tapatalk site: (http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php)

Q: Which forum system does it currently support?
A: Currently phpBB3 3.0.x, vBulletin 3.7.x/3.8.x/4.0.x, Invision Power Board (IPB) 3.0.x and Simple Machine Forum (SMF) 1.1.x/2.0.x are supported.

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/01/10 12:28 AM

Ahh, too bad, I downloaded the android app and found a couple other forums, was hoping this one would be too.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/01/10 04:51 AM

Wow! 7.5.6 Any chance to turn on the RSS feeds? Please?

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/01/10 02:01 PM

Alex, they've been on for some time.

I should note that the mods have them set to new posts only, not recent replies. My Firefox location bar shows a feed subscription icon for each forum.
Posted by: Alex

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/01/10 07:57 PM

Ah, I see now. Thank you (I was looking for a dedicated link on the page). It is sad that you can not see new posts, and in fact all you can see in the feed is just a topic subject, poster name and "read more online" link. That's useless. Is there any chance it could be improved?

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/01/10 07:59 PM

I wonder if changing it to include all replies would help. That'd be something for Doug_Ritter, Blast and martinfocazio to weigh in on. Sadly, I don't write the software (and any modifications to the PHP generally go "unsupported"), I just implement it.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/02/10 05:18 PM

I'd like a more full RSS feed...can the server handle that?
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/02/10 05:21 PM

Let me clarify...
It's a simple setting...but it could put some hurt on the server software...I have no objection to doing a 10 topics + 250 character RSS feed on all of the forums...there's no real impact to the nature of the site with RSS "amped up" a bit.

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/02/10 07:11 PM

We won't know till we try. The server is bored, but it is a shared instance and it's whether or not the whole platform is 'bored' is another thing.

Let's turn it on, and I'll keep a general eye on it.

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/02/10 07:54 PM

Turned them on, between 25-50 replies will be in each forum feed, plus there's a main feed w/ several forums. 150-200 characters from each post will be included in the feed. These typically refresh every 5-10 minutes.

Thus far, it hasn't impacted the server one bit.

Re: Forum Software Upgrade - 09/03/10 12:21 AM

This forum isn't active compared to some so it shouldn't hurt. I've been on forums where if I don't check twice a day I can't loose track but here I can go a couple days and catch up.