The pond digging has started....

Posted by: Todd W

The pond digging has started.... - 07/11/10 05:19 PM

We needed to level out the garden so we could get our deer fence up, and in order to do that we had to bring in a good amount of dirt. On the far corner of the garden we had to raise it about 3.5'. Lucky for us we also want a pond, and had a perfect source of dirt to level the garden area, and eventually the entire back yard.

This is after about 6 hours of tractor work:
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3594/pondworkday1.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7430/pond2.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but where the cedar is (far right) to the chair on the left was filled with brush, small trees, etc that were cleared out. Then that area was leveled off, I probably got 20+ buckets of dirt from that area alone before I even started on the pond hole itself.

The hole itself was done entirely with the loader too, lucky for me this location was shady, in between two mountains, and still relatively moist! In, and out of the hole I went with the tractor utilizing the loader being ever so careful not to make the hole too steep to high-center my backhoe/brackets.

When I get time and a tractor to work more the pond will be dug out to the right of wall on the far side more, and about 10' toward where I was standing when I took the pictures, and of coarse deeper.

The garden got level, and it was time to return the tractor (rental), so the pond is on hold until I can find a great deal on a tractor to own our own. (Garden pics coming soon)

This was all done with a 40HP tractor. Probably the smallest one I would ever consider without going insane... we are looking to buy a 45-52hp since from the pond to the garden is all up hill and it barely makes it up with a load of dirt!

Source of water for the pond will be the natural creek that goes through that area in winter, and a 2nd well about 85' higher in elevation, and about 750' (or more) to the right. The end-goal is to have 2x2600g water tanks, solar/12v well pump, and gravity feed the pond. If we are lucky there may be enough pressure to use the water for the garden too w/out requiring a booster pump.. time will tell as purchasing a tractor and all the above is a lot of money. Most expensive veggies ever! L O L

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/11/10 05:35 PM

[censored]" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Kubota-L48-TLB-Tract...#ht_5225wt_1132

The price is not too bad considering thats probably 55k or so new.
Still expensive.

unless I find a deal, probably end up with out the cab!
Posted by: chickenlittle

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/12/10 12:19 AM

Even if the tractor has no cab try to make sure it does have a roll cage. It might not seem to matter but I have seen a few machines flipped over and the cages with seat harnesses do save lives.

I was wondering if you intended to line the pond because the ground there looks pretty sandy.
If you do intend to line it what are you using and what will it cost?

Posted by: lukus

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/12/10 03:06 AM

Looks like a nice area, but my first thought was also if the dirt would hold water; looks like sandy loam. It's possible that you might hit a layer of clay that you could spread / line the pond with.

I will also second chickenlittle recommendation about the roll cage. Rollovers on steep and loose dirt is pretty common. It's also where you can bolt on a sun / rain cover. Worth every penny when you're out in the sun for hours.

I have a 35 hp New Holland (absolutely love it) and you'd be amazed what you can do once you get your technique down. We'd had a very bad drought the previous 2 years, and my stock pond had gotten to about a 4ft depth (normally 12ft). I took advantage and really opened up one side. This is all in pretty tough yellow clay. I can consistently set the blade and peel 1 inch deep x 5ft wide and 8 feet long every time. I opened up an area 40ft wide and 70ft long, tapering from 0 to 6ft deep last summer. The dirt went into a pretty large hill / shooting backstop.

A box blade and 3 point boom are also very useful implements to have.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/12/10 06:19 AM

Thanks for the comments!

I will hit clay in another few feet. In some places clay is only 6 inches down.. where I dug-out my ATV loading area (no ramps) I hit clay pretty much instantly, other areas like this it seems to be much further down. My septic report from the original install shows after 3' it was clay down as far as they tested.

Lukus - The tractor I rented was a New Holland, 40hp they said. Due to the layout of my land a full load of dirt in low, low I could barely crawl up the ROAD to the garden area. Another area I got dirt from about 200' away I have another road back up to the garden area and stalled there a couple times. Babying it up works, but it's not efficient at all, cost wise going from 40hp to 45 was not much I`m hoping the benefit of a few extra ponies will help with the hill. Other than the ability to keep her moving on an incline the 40hp was fine. What's funny is the slowest part of moving the dirt was going up the hill loaded, scraping it from the `pond area` into the loader was piece-o-cake... drive down scrape turn drive out one fluid movement pretty much. Like you said once you get it down it's great work! If I had a dump-trailer to fill with dirt, then the 40hp would be more than plenty I reckon!

If the tractor didn't have the backhoe attachment I would imagine the hill climb being a bit easier on her too! I guess owning it I could remove the backhoe for faster movement, and a lot easier clearance!

After we level out the 'direct' backyard with the pond dirt, the remaining pond dirt will go for some small hills along the front of the property for road barrier, etc.

Lukus - Do you find that you can dig/clear out with the loader pretty good all the time as long as you have room to make the hole as big as the tractor to prevent high-center, and ability to drive out?

Posted by: Compugeek

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/12/10 02:30 PM

How much counterweight does the backhoe attachment provide to a full bucket? smile

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/12/10 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Compugeek
How much counterweight does the backhoe attachment provide to a full bucket? smile

A lot!

I can still get the front tires off the ground with a full bucket going up hill due to the backhoe.

I wonder how long it takes to put the backhoe on and off.

If I had to buy a backhoe new/retail, I think I would save a couple grand more and just get a small excavator and keep them completely separate!

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/13/10 02:49 AM

"Do you find that you can dig/clear out with the loader pretty good all the time as long as you have room to make the hole as big as the tractor to prevent high-center, and ability to drive out?"

I just have a front loader (with 4WD) and I've never high centered it while digging. I have driven off some small embankments, but never had any problems.

The bucket is more than a loader. You can load the tractor onto a trailor without ramps. It'll also let you get into and out of places you can't normally drive a tractor. I've gotten it hellishly stuck a couple of times. Once in slimy pond muck 3' deep. Part of the pond cleaning / widening I mentioned earlier. When connecting the newly dug to the old, I misjudged how far I could get in once and dropped right down into the muck (layer of dirt dries on top, so can't always tell if it's firm). Right up to the floorboards and then "floated"; took 45 minutes to pull myself out an inch at a time with the bucket.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/13/10 06:14 AM

Lukus - Cool info. I've only driven the ones I've rented, and I get the back hoe each time because I`m not sure if I`ll need it or not, and with it sticking off the backend a good 2-3' if you drive "down" too much the back end will get hung-up... Luckily the out riggers easily lift it up, I shove a log or so under there and drive out. Also extending the back hoe, and angling the bucket as a 'scoot' works too laugh

I think i`m going to rent the tractor next w/out the backhoe and see how how much more power I have with the hill.

I def. need the backhoe at some point to finish my grey water system, and misc other tasks.

I think unless I can get the backhoe on a used tractor / complete setup buying new I would skip the backhoe, and just rent the tractor with the backhoe if I find myself needing it. $5-8k for a backhoe is pretty pricey unless your doing some serious digging, and even then saving up and getting a used mini-excavator for 9-13k seems like a MUCH better deal in the long run.

Off to save my pennies!

Any other advise, tips or tricks you have Lukus I appreciate it.

-Todd
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/13/10 02:32 PM

Not to be a mullyguss: Do you have riparian/water rights for diverting/"tapping" a natural watercourse? I know there are places where they get really nutso about things like that. Just wondering.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/13/10 07:39 PM

There's no issue with where the pond is located. Filling of the pond will not be from natural water / stream / creek / etc but from a well. Due to an old access road, and my neighbors drainage pipe draining between our mountains this part of my property gets a little more water during the wet months but no flowing natural creek, just drain water that I called a creek. It actually doesn't flow past where I took the picture, that area gets really muddy from the water sitting there 1 day at about 1" after a good rain/snow, and then absorbs into the water.

There is proof from years ago that someone did flood this area, the water I believe came from the 1800's era water way also on my property.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/17/10 04:00 AM

Doesn't have anything to do with digging, but if you buy a tractor with a loader, get a couple of chain hooks and have them welded on each side of the top of the bucket. They're really useful, gives an easy way to pick up all sorts of bigger things with the bucket: big dead trees, corrugated pipe, etc...

If you're buying it new, most dealers have a shop where they do "make ready" of the tractors. Just tell your salesman what you want to do. Buy the hooks and take them in, it'll just be part of the make ready.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/17/10 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By: lukus
Doesn't have anything to do with digging, but if you buy a tractor with a loader, get a couple of chain hooks and have them welded on each side of the top of the bucket. They're really useful, gives an easy way to pick up all sorts of bigger things with the bucket: big dead trees, corrugated pipe, etc...

If you're buying it new, most dealers have a shop where they do "make ready" of the tractors. Just tell your salesman what you want to do. Buy the hooks and take them in, it'll just be part of the make ready.

Cool good to know.

My dad would appreciate that, he was the one stringing the chain around the bucket.. crazy
Posted by: RayW

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/18/10 01:11 AM

Todd, if you are thinking about buying a tractor you might want to peruse http://www.tractorbynet.com/ There is more information on tractors than you ever wanted to know including modifications that make your tractor work better. Spent a lot of time lurking over there before i bought my kubota. Remember to post a few pictures of your tractor when you get one.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/18/10 04:52 AM

Originally Posted By: RayW
Todd, if you are thinking about buying a tractor you might want to peruse http://www.tractorbynet.com/ There is more information on tractors than you ever wanted to know including modifications that make your tractor work better. Spent a lot of time lurking over there before i bought my kubota. Remember to post a few pictures of your tractor when you get one.

Thanks for the resource.

Checking it out now grin

What model & options did you go for?
Primary usage?
Posted by: KenK

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/18/10 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: lukus
get a couple of chain hooks and have them welded on each side of the top of the bucket

... and put one in the center too. You need to be real careful not to lift a single heavy load from one side or the other of the bucket - otherwise you'll risk bending the loader arm /crossbar joints.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/18/10 10:42 PM

Went for the B7510, which is a compact utility tractor with a 21HP diesel. Primary use is cutting grass. Have the Hydrostatic transmission, 60" mid-mounted mower, 48" front end loader, and a 48" box blade. Have also welded up a set of slip on bucket teeth that stick out about 18", helps to pick up things that are longer than four feet.

Here are a couple of photos of the last hole i dug,

If you are going to get a FEL i would recommend that you go for the hydrostatic transmission or the shuttle shift. That way you don't have to push in the clutch and shift to change directions.

One more thing, if you are going for a larger tractor you might want to consider getting the FEL that uses the skid steer quick attachment system. That way most skid steer attachments will fit on the front of your tractor.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/20/10 04:10 AM

Thanks Ray!

Cool pics, what was that project for?

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/20/10 10:27 PM

Neighbor wants a water garden, it's just a big ditch. Problem right now is the water table is so high that it will most likely be some months before it drys out enough to finish the hole.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/21/10 06:22 AM

High water table?
We are not familiar with that concept here in California frown

Went to Kubota today, and checked out the L45 and M59.
I am trying to figure out if the M59 will be too wide for my usage in the woods (in and around the trees and on my trails/paths).

Width @ Rear tires: 75" wide, my rental was 61.3"

The M59 also has an 84" bucket, so I need to measure that width too. The rental bucket was 72", and I never once thought wow it's too wide to fit, so the width of the tires being 75" will be no issue since my last bucket was nearly the same. But going from 75" to 84" may be pretty noticeable.(6" on each side approx, not really a LOT, but in the woods it can be a huge difference.)

I really think the L45 would do all I need but the M59 is 5k$ more, and 5k for 15hp seems like a very cheap price + bigger tires, bigger backhoe, and more options with the hydraulic system.

Too bad the L48 isn't made anymore, that one sounds like it would have been the perfect cross.

All the reviews of the M59 have been awesome, other than some early models with minor issues that were warrantied I have yet to find any serious complaints about the unit. The only real complaint is that here in CA you need a commercial license to haul something/trailer >9,999lbs and this tractor comes in around 8500 with BackHoe, so a trailer to haul that would be over 1,500. Since I don't plan to move it around all the time, and know people with such a license I don't think this will be an issue for me. The bigger issue for me would be my trailer, that holds my Jeep is only 16', and my other 20'+ trailer still needs rebuilt...

Oh, the options...

I can see that owning a tractor will not only do work faster and make life easier but also create NEW WORK.

smile

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/21/10 10:54 PM

Your new tractor will create new work and your neighbors will also find jobs for you to do. But after you have it a while you will wonder how you ever got any outside work done without it.

Kubota has a good reputation for quality, have not had any problems with mine. And i know other people with Kubota's and they have not had any trouble either. Good luck with your decision and if you have acres to take care of there is no such thing as too big of a tractor.

Posted by: Compugeek

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 07/22/10 02:10 PM

"Work expands to consume the resources available for it."

Corollary to "Stuff expands to fill the space available for it."

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/01/10 05:22 AM

Hoping to close the deal this week for the new tractor.

Don't tell the wife... it`ll take a couple days for her to adjust, I think right around the time her garden is finished wink wink

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/01/10 10:11 PM

Congratulations on the new toy...tool. Which one did you decide on?

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/02/10 02:26 AM

Working on finalizing deal for M59.

Will post all the details once its finalized, and ordered "really".

Waiting on some info from them to decide on 4n1 or HD bucket.

Also, new opportunity presented with acquiring property next to me... new post for that though got some questions.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/02/10 09:34 PM

That will be a nice ride. You won't know how you ever got along without one.

Here is a youtube site that you might find worth looking at,

http://www.youtube.com/user/EverythingAttachment

They are trying to sell their products bet lots of tractor how to video's.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/02/10 09:40 PM

Awesome thanks Ray!

One thing I`m really excited about is making my own attachments. It will be many fun projects smile

A "Man lift" will probably be among #1 since we need to replace some windows in my garage 2nd story, and also repaint the garage.

Looking forward to making a lot of fun stuff smile

PICS when it arrives.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/02/10 11:18 PM

While not exactly a man lift it sure beats moving a tall ladder,

This is a friends M68 and the building in the background is his garage. He hasn't started building the house yet. The end with the tower does have a small one bedroom apartment in it.

And i have used the bucket on mine with plywood across the bucket and the teeth to make a nice portable workbench or a platform to stand on.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/03/10 01:15 AM

Awesome picture and idea smile

Nice tractor too!

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/16/10 05:23 PM

... Waiting for delivery laugh

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 08/16/10 09:29 PM

Cool, waiting for pictures wink

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 09/13/10 06:23 AM

Used it a couple hours the other day to work on the pond, and then my brother came over and used it another couple hours on the pond. Updated pics coming soon for that.

I did some misc things with it already, and then decided to practice with the backhoe controls, and start removing some stumps. Not sure how long I have into this but it was almost an hour between digging / removing roots for those 2 stumps. Most time spent on root busting / removal than dirt moving!! One completely out, 1 more to go. The stumps are OLD, the roots are 100% dry and some are 8" around and are not busting up easily. Good practice, and the area will be free of stumps soon enough.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 09/13/10 09:09 PM

Todd, thanks for posting a picture of your new toy/tool. It looks great and I know that you will get a lot of use out of your new Kubota.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 09/14/10 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Now your wife will shout out the window at you...

"Quit playin' with your ho!"

laugh laugh

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/15/10 03:31 AM

Moving firewood for stacking.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/15/10 09:04 PM

You look good in Orange Todd. A loader sure makes moving firewood easier(:

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/18/10 07:27 PM

Thanks!

It makes EVERYTHING easier smile

Worked great taking down my old wooden garage door, moving a pallet of wood (with ratchet straps since I have no forks), etc.

Loving it.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/23/10 09:46 PM

Updated the blog with some new tractor pics smile

I was away yesterday when the rains started, and when I got home I had some work to do! THe tractor made the chore 15 minutes or less, and it wasn't back breaking. Ripping out concrete couldn't have been easy unless someone else did it smile

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/23/10 11:04 PM

Cool photo's. Makes me want to order the backhoe attachment for mine smile

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/24/10 01:45 AM

I would say the thumb on the backhoe makes it 2x more useful too smile

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/24/10 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd W

I would say the thumb on the backhoe makes it 2x more useful too smile

Haven't used a backhoe with a thumb yet. But i could see where that would be really handy.

Re: The pond digging has started.... - 10/25/10 05:27 AM

That's how I picked up and moved the concrete, and also how I pick up down trees and move them easily. Also works good with rocks, so far haven't used it on many rocks as we don't have many large enough frown

Had to fix some drainage issues with the side of my garage today, wow we must have gotten nearly the 5" of rain they said we'd get!

I have some new pics to post, massive water drainage all over my property!