PSP+ this August

Posted by: T_Co

PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 03:38 AM

HERE ya go people.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 10:48 AM

Finally! Though $80 might be a bit steep for some folks... even though it includes the new stuff.

That being said, it'll make the $30 version appear more palatable to the masses!
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 11:35 AM

Add up all the items as individual purchases. $80 is not bad value. It's cheaper than some and a lot more effective.

Only complaint I have is that it is not being offered with a heatsheet.

But then I'm a picky.... grin
Posted by: MDinana

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 04:05 PM

I didn't say it wasn't a value. I just said it'd be expensive for some folks.

Your average weekend "outdoorsman" at REI or someplace doesn't want to drop $80 on a tiny knife, tiny flashlight, some matches, etc. These guys might go for the $30 kit.

The ones with some foresight, or knowledge of the cost of the individual components, probably will be willing to spend the $80.
Posted by: Hikin_Jim

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: AMK
Available August 2010
Why, my B Day is in August. Such good timing. smile

HJ
Posted by: JIM

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 06:07 PM

Whaaaaaat??! $80! No thanks
Posted by: Dagny

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 08:43 PM

Designed by Doug Ritter, this kit includes everything in the Pocket Survival Pak, PLUS a CRKT RSK-MK5 knife, an E-Gear PICO LED light, Katadyn Micropur MP1 water purification tablets, and a 1-liter collapsible water bag - all packed in a waterproof welded-fabric pouch that fits in your pocket.

I don't know how much those water bags cost but this seems like a reasonably priced package. Would be nice to have it all compactly in the waterproof kit.

Great gift for outdoor enthusiasts and for putting in loved ones' cars or luggage.

LL Bean is now selling the e-PICO light for $9.95 and the new Backpacking magazine Gear Guide is plugging it.

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 08:56 PM

Seems reasonable for what it is to me. Not cheap, but comes with a lot of good stuff -- definitely good additions to the original PSP.

A note about Backpacker Mag. Backpacker is an occasionally interesting read, but their gear reviews are nothing like they used to be. They survive by advertising and know better than to bite the hand that feeds them. Resultantly, their gear reviews are quite a bit less than rigorous. BP'er used to get down in to technical details and really get down to the nitty gritty. No longer. Now it's some "light" verbiage that reads more like advertising copy than a review. In all fairness, they will say upon occasion something like "some gear testers noted minor problems with 'X'".

HJ
Posted by: rebwa

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/09/10 09:39 PM

I too think it’s a reasonably priced kit. The quality knife, light, actual water bag and purification tabs make it a very nice kit and I really like the looks of the bag it comes in. Hopefully the bag will be able to hold one of the heat sheets as either the AMK Bivy bag or the heat sheet is an important element to any kit in my opinion.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/10/10 06:40 AM

I'll Definitely purchase one of these! Let's Not forget,ETS is the BEST site for product reviews,& R&D for Survival Equipment!& that said,If you don't have one on your person,next time your bushwackin'or boondockin',then you really have no valid comment regarding such.I love coming to this site for all the info/intel!Thank You,Doug!
Posted by: leemann

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/10/10 07:08 PM

Agreed I go here for reviews.

Lee
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/10/10 07:44 PM

For that much money I'd rather build my own thou.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/14/10 11:50 AM

agreed. my mora-based mini-kit is much cheaper so far than this new PSP while covering the essentials, though it's not exactly pocket-sized.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/15/10 11:58 PM

To answer a few comments.

1. Yes, it really is still pocket sized.

2. No, a Heatsheets won't fit in it. See above. My philosophy in this regard is that bulk is bad, compact is good. If you want to carry a Heatsheets (as I do), then better to have it split into two packages for easier carry.

The PSP+ isn't for everyone, it wasn't designed for everyone. Some won't spend that much (although it will cost less than MSRP at street prices), some would prefer to make their own, which I totally respect. For others, we did it for them and the price is a fair value for what you get.
Posted by: Phaedrus

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/16/10 12:24 AM

Thanks, Doug! All in all it looks like a good value for the money. I tend to fall into the roll-your-own camp but it looks like a great deal for anyone looking for a compact pre-assembled kit. I love the knife that's included, a big step up from just having a box cutter/razor knife.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/16/10 01:09 AM

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/16/10 03:30 AM

Agreed looks good.

Lee
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/16/10 12:35 PM

Looks like I know what to get Dad for his Birthday!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/16/10 03:07 PM

I don't typically chime in because it sometimes ends up sounding like a Mutual Admiration Society or some really blatant sucking up. I will make an exception this time. I totally agree and support Doug's ideas and comments in this instance. I think taking time to understand the philosophy of this particular product is key to further understanding its application. Having been a member of the Forum for a little while I have seen the different approaches to EDC put forth by all the other participants. I have gleaned an amazing amount of information from everyone. I know there are pros and cons to purpose-built (personal), purpose-purchased, and purpose-manufactured EDC items and kits. All that to say this: Do your research, evaluate your personal philosophy, keep inside your financial abilities, and have fun with the whole kit thing. If this is followed I believe there will be less inclination to dismiss some things out-of-hand.

My $.02

Standard Disclaimer
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/22/10 01:14 PM

Doug,

Will the pouch and/or the water bottles be available for separate purchase? I already have 4 standard kits upgraded to the + but my pouches are stuffed and my water bottles (milk storage pouches) are only 1/2 liter.

Thanks for the design, I have stopped making my own PSK after 50 years of playing, now I start with yours and modify from there. This is the first commercial kit I have bought that still retains more than one or two of the original contents.

Thanks again,

Jerry

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/22/10 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
To answer a few comments.

1. Yes, it really is still pocket sized.

2. No, a Heatsheets won't fit in it. See above. My philosophy in this regard is that bulk is bad, compact is good. If you want to carry a Heatsheets (as I do), then better to have it split into two packages for easier carry.

The PSP+ isn't for everyone, it wasn't designed for everyone. Some won't spend that much (although it will cost less than MSRP at street prices), some would prefer to make their own, which I totally respect. For others, we did it for them and the price is a fair value for what you get.

Oh come on! $80 is nothing for that kit.

PSP+ in one pocket, Heatsheet/bin bags/plastic sheet and powerbar's in the other. SAK/Multitool lanyarded to your belt.

In a survival situation I for one would kill for that much kit.

Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/22/10 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Will the pouch and/or the water bottles be available for separate purchase?

I don't know which water pouch Doug specified for the PSP+, but here's one you can add http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Aqua-Pouch%20-%201%20Liter%20Water%20Storage%20Container.htm . I haven't tried it myself.
Posted by: cedfire

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/23/10 10:59 PM

Most folks reading these forums are probably not the target market for the PSP+. Still... to try and cobble together the same items I have to believe you would at least break even, if not wind up spending even more on your own version. Shipping costs always seem to get you when you start looking for individual kit components.

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 12:47 AM

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Will the pouch and/or the water bottles be available for separate purchase? I already have 4 standard kits upgraded to the + but my pouches are stuffed and my water bottles (milk storage pouches) are only 1/2 liter.

I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+, hopefully available by September, but as always, take any delivery date with a grain of salt. <~>

And, no, I don't know what the cost will be, that has not yet been determined. Once I know, we'll be posting the information here.

Posted by: Richlacal

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 04:38 AM

Perhaps you could get together with John McCann,& Get his Aqua-Pouchs added to the bundle.I have used them,& they are the best thing going for 100% Reliability/Compactness! No Affiliation,just an Elated Consumer!

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Perhaps you could get together with John McCann,& Get his Aqua-Pouchs added to the bundle.I have used them,& they are the best thing going for 100% Reliability/Compactness! No Affiliation,just an Elated Consumer!

Unfortunately I lost any respect for John D McCann because of this comment:

He carries a folding knife as a backup but deems the popular Swiss Army knife impractical. “What am I going to use a Phillips screwdriver for in the woods?” he asked. “I’ve never had to unscrew a tree.”

John may be, in many things, a most excellent instructor but in that he is completely wrong.

You carry a SAK (111mm locking for choice) not for the screwdriver but for the saw!

Take it from someone who has been there and done that:
If your cold, wet, tired and hungry, you don't want to be trying to chop through a branch. Accident waiting to happen.

Sawing through it is a) much safer and b) more efficent (fewer calories expended).

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 08:43 PM

Ah but Leigh, he has gone on to state that he DID find a use for that philips head by grinding it into a Marlin Spike. That's ingenuity if you're not going to be unscrewing trees.

And carry a decent dedicated folding saw. Redundancy. SAK is last call. Is a Sak your 1st choice of carry for a blade when going out? Then why should it be for the saw blade?

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 08:51 PM

I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+

Will this be including the new larger bag as well?

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By: T_Co
Ah but Leigh, he has gone on to state that he DID find a use for that philips head by grinding it into a Marlin Spike. That's ingenuity if you're not going to be unscrewing trees.

And carry a decent dedicated folding saw. Redundancy. SAK is last call. Is a Sak your 1st choice of carry for a blade when going out? Then why should it be for the saw blade?

Yes it is. SwissChamp for E.D.C. Locking One Handed Trekker if I'm going away from civilisation.

In my experience, the locking SAK's are more than amply robust for most likely short term survival scenario's.

Saw blade because it makes shelter building much easier. All my kit recommendations are based around the presumption that one has lost every thing except what is either in one's pockets, or clipped to one's belt. As is the PSP+.

Obviously one would like to have more. Like a tent, axe, sleeping bag, water filter etc. But..... frown

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 09:41 PM

I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+

I think you mean the new pouch for the PSP+, and, yes, it will.

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/24/10 10:01 PM

I think you mean the new pouch for the PSP+, and, yes, it will.

Correct, bag could be misconceived as for water, I meant pouch for contents, good eye Doug. cool

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/25/10 03:26 AM

Ooh can't wait.

Lee
Posted by: Fox10

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/25/10 03:14 PM

Leigh Ratcliffe,

John McCann here. I'm a little surprised that you lose all respect for someone based on a statement made by a reporter.

Ist of all, Both my wife and I carry a SAK Farmer everyday of our life, and the most used item is the saw. We both also carry a plain blade 1 Hand Trekker in a spec-ops pouch on the shoulder straps of our packs. Of course, we both carry fixed blade knives, but we don't have a problem with SAK's.

During a course where a reporter for the NY Times was both, attending and reporting, we had a discussion where he asked why I didn't carry one of those large McGuiver type SAK's and I indicated they had too much junk on them, "Like a phillips screwdriver... I've never had to unscrew a tree" The statement was cavalier, I agree, but was taken out of context when the article was written.

I wish people would take what reporters say with a grain of salt, but they normally take it as gospel. You will think what you want, but I do like SAK's and carry them (you certainly cant beat their saws.

John

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/25/10 05:31 PM

Thanks for the clarification/correction, John! The internet can be bad about stuff like that. And written communication has that inherent weakness about it- context can be difficult to tease out. Often a joke or facetious statement is taken out of context and the misunderstanding takes on a life of it's own.

For the life of me I can't see what purpose those enormous SAKs satisfy. It's nice to have a good array of gadgets but at some point the thing is to large as to be difficult to use and so heavy that you may as well pack a full sized version of the tool! My favorite SAKs are the smallest ones. I find the scissors to fantastic, better than most small stand-alone units. The little tweezers has also saved the day a few times for me. I don't have a SAK that has a phillips head driver, but FWIW I think it would be very useful. Think of all the gear you might have on you that takes phillips head screws. Some battery compartments have phillips heads, and of course glasses are made with very small ones. If nothing else, a phillips head driver would be handing for starting a pilot hole on the fireboard for a bow/hand drill.
Posted by: Matt26

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 12:25 AM

Speaking of screwdrivers on knives. I EDC a Leatherman Wave. The only times I have ever used the very small Philips head screwdriver is for my eyeglasses. Fits perfectly!

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 08:20 AM

John,
Thank you for putting the record straight. I guess that demonstrates the need to exercise extreme caution when talking to the press. frown

It's interesting that most serious players pick the Farmer and/or the OHT as prefered carry items. They are probably the best tools of their kind presently available.

Just out of curiosity, what are your view's about belt knives?

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I guess that demonstrates the need to exercise extreme caution when talking to the press.
Or when listening to the press!

As I read stories about SAR missions in my local area, I can't believe just how wrong the press gets things. Basic facts like where things are where roads and such go, etc. It's maddening. They're so freakin' clueless and don't care enough to get it right. Gotta meet that deadline.

HJ
Posted by: chickenlittle

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 01:15 PM

I am not a fan of the larger SAKs for the same reason John gave.
I do find the little classic on the key-chain handy and usually have the aluminum sided standard model in a pocket.
(I wish it was locking instead of slip, but oh well)

I have owned several versions of the SAKs with multitudes of blades in them and the truth for me is they are too bulky to carry and too awkward to use easily.
I find it easier to just carry a simpler blade and have a small leatherman in my tool kit.

PS, I am not very impressed with the SAK saw blade either. They are too small for serious cutting and I have snapped a few. (YMMV)

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 05:01 PM

I have a confession to make. I'm lusting after one of these:

http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.ph...CFQGZ2AodRk2Fbg

Now that's a tool grin

On a more serious note, considering the SAK as a survival tool, John's observations about K.I.S.S. are probably about right.

I, personally, E.D.C. a SwissChamp and a Farmer. If I'm dropped in the pot with just them and the lighter that I always carry, I'm quite certain that I can survive. Certainly short term.

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 07:34 PM

I have a confession to make. I'm lusting after one of these:

http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.ph...CFQGZ2AodRk2Fbg

Now that's a tool grin

On a more serious note, considering the SAK as a survival tool, John's observations about K.I.S.S. are probably about right.

I, personally, E.D.C. a SwissChamp and a Farmer. If I'm dropped in the pot with just them and the lighter that I always carry, I'm quite certain that I can survive. Certainly short term.

Does XLT stand for eXtra Ludicrous Tool?

HJ

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 11:41 PM

John,

Just out of curiosity, what are your view's about belt knives?

Leigh,

I am responding to your question, but hope I am not stealing this thread... and if I am... I hope a moderator will move it to a more appropriate section.

1st... I always carry at least two belt knives when in the bush. I am not sure what you call a belt knife, as some people only consider a fixed blade knife. I think it means any knife worn on a belt (and as usual... I could be wrong).

I always wear a SAK Farmer on the belt in a sheath I made. My wife also carries the same in a sheath she made (I insist that each member of the family make their own sheaths so they understand, and appreciate the work involved).

Hope this answers addresses your curiosity.

John

Here is photo of my wife's sheath both closed and open:

I also carry a fixed blade knife, being a Falkniven F1, with linen micarta scales, and convex grind.

Here a photo of the F1:

Here is photo of it on my belt in a sheath I made:

The following photo is more of a gratuitous shot showing the sheath next to a holster I made to match:

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/26/10 11:53 PM

Leigh,

Sorry about the above... I can't figure out how to post the photos with a caption above... It works a lot easier on the forum I'm a partner of.

John

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/27/10 12:07 AM

Nice looking leather, John.

HJ

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/27/10 10:27 PM

If a moderator could fix the photos in my above post so they run under one another, I would appreciate it.

John

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/27/10 11:58 PM

So, if I may ask, what's the idea behind carrying both a Trekker and a Farmer? They seem like they have about the same tools. I suppose the Farmer is a smaller SAK and could serve as a back up to the Trekker, and of course the Trekker has the advantage of having a locking blade.

HJ

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/28/10 12:29 AM

Hikin_jim,

I don't carry both because I need both. I call it redundancy...

The Farmer is on my person... the Trekker is on my pack. Either one can be lost. Two is one... one is none.

The Trekker has the advantage of one hand open. In the event that one hand is injured, I could quickly put the Trekker into play.

Maybe I think differently than others... just the way I do business.

John

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/28/10 01:38 AM

Completely understood, John. Absolutely makes sense. I was just wondering if I were missing something.

So, sounds like standard carry is three knives: Falkniven F1, Trekker, and Farmer? Sounds pretty good.

HJ
Posted by: WILD_WEASEL

Re: PSP+ this August - 07/30/10 05:03 AM

Outstanding! While I already carry an Altoids Tin Kit based on the instructions that came with my RSK Mk 5 knife, I plan on buying one of these to add to the gear I carry here in Afghanistan. It will probably find a home in my Fighting Load Carrier (FLC)that I wear over my body armor when outside the wire.

Cheers,
W-W

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/02/10 02:04 PM

Hi, W-W,

I take it that the FLC is the vest that is now standard issue, yes? It replaced the older LBE (load bearing equipment) which consisted of a pistol belt and suspenders. Question for you if you have time: Isn't the FLC really warm in a country like Afghanistan?

HJ

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/03/10 10:31 AM

Jim,

The Fighting Load Carrier (FLC) is a mesh type vest with MOLLE attachment points, the Interceptor Body Armor is what is HOT! Soldiers no longer use FLCs as they attach everything directly to their body armor. As a civilian contractor I travel to a variety of places where I do and don’t need all my kit attached to my armor so using the FLC keeps me from having to constantly reconfigure my gear, if I need my kit I just slip the FLC over my armor. The FLC it a handy way to keep my canteen, knife, and IFAK (trauma kit) handy, together in one place.

Cheers,
W-W

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/24/10 02:46 AM

Folks they're here. PSP Plus

Lee

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/24/10 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: leemann
Folks they're here. PSP Plus

Lee

Not exactly. :-( As a result of some production issues, it is now looking like end of September before the first units ship. Sorry, but better to get it right.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/24/10 04:06 PM

Thanks for the update Doug, I’ve been stopping in at my local outdoor store every time I’m downtown and that gets expensive! My local store carries a good assortment of the AMK line including your original kit, I’ve told them I want the new kit, so hopefully they have it on order.

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/24/10 05:09 PM

You wonder why they are selling when they don't have them.
Thanks for the update Doug.

Lee

Re: PSP+ this August - 08/25/10 04:04 AM

While the PSP+ is a nice pre-assembled kit and I would like to add one to the gear I carry attached to my FLC, the Altoids tin kits you assemble yourself based on the instructions that accompany the RSK Mk5 are close to perfect for my every day carry needs here in Afghanistan. That little tin takes a real beating in my cargo pocket and is holding up well after 6+ months of EDC. Not sure how the soft PSP+ pouch will hold up in the same situation.

Cheers,
W-W
Posted by: JIM

Re: PSP+ this August - 10/02/10 01:01 PM

Here it is guys:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280566903352&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Posted by: yuriart10

Re: PSP+ this August - 10/04/10 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: rebwa
I too think it’s a reasonably priced kit. The quality knife, light, actual water bag and purification tabs make it a very nice kit and I really like the looks of the bag it comes in. Hopefully the bag will be able to hold one of the heat sheets as either the AMK Bivy bag or the heat sheet is an important element to any kit in my opinion.

I also think so.
Posted by: Krista

Re: PSP+ this August - 10/04/10 02:30 AM

Ooooh, that's nice, I hope I win!!

Is there a link to where we could buy just the knife??

Re: PSP+ this August - 10/04/10 03:03 AM

There are several online vendors but you can also get it direct from CRKT.