Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my!

Posted by: dweste

Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/14/10 05:19 PM

While puffing up an old mine road on the way out after a couple days of primitive skills learning, I was distracting myself by wondering how I could avoid the sock-loads of stickery things I seem to accumulate. Are there resistant socks? Should I try gaiters? Should I go commando and forgo socks [and expect a lot of blisters?!] ?

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/14/10 05:22 PM

Gaiters.

REI carries several kinds.

Posted by: Susan

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/14/10 06:13 PM

If you don't use socks, those stickery things will grab the next best thing. Wear gaiters, or rub Vasoline onto your leg hair. Hip boots would slow you down quite a bit.

Sue
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/14/10 11:16 PM

I have faced the same situation. High top boots and long pants will provide reasonable protection. Better yet for my preferred hiking attire, low cut sneakers, are SHORT gaiters. I got mine from REI.
Posted by: pezhead

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/15/10 11:36 AM

For hunting I've used Filson Tin Cloth chaps. They wouldn't be the best for hiking but for certain times of the year they work great.
Posted by: dweste

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/19/10 04:11 PM

A small response for this group. Few experience this as a problem, perhaps. The ritual, time-consuming sock-picking and the joy of finding unwanted sharp stickery stuff distributed through a load of clothes is perhaps the province of only a few of us. Still my mind seeks better ways to encounter these little nature's messengers ....
Posted by: Susan

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/19/10 09:10 PM

When you're dealing with thorns and thistles, it's like dealing with politicians: they're an ongoing nuisance -- remove the ones you can, and try not to make the mistake again. Prevention is a good idea, but not always possible because they're so pervasive.

Sue
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/19/10 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
Few experience this as a problem, perhaps. The ritual, time-consuming sock-picking and the joy of finding unwanted sharp stickery stuff distributed through a load of clothes is perhaps the province of only a few of us.

Actually, it is just that gaiters are a straightforward solution to the problem. When I have not had gaiters available, wrapping duct tape around the exposed portions of socks has provided good protection.
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Seeds, burrs, and thistles, oh my! - 06/21/10 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: dweste
A small response for this group. Few experience this as a problem, perhaps. The ritual, time-consuming sock-picking and the joy of finding unwanted sharp stickery stuff distributed through a load of clothes is perhaps the province of only a few of us. Still my mind seeks better ways to encounter these little nature's messengers ....

As others have suggested, gaiters are really the only effective method of keeping burrs off. I have a pair of gaiters for this purpose along with other uses such as keeping the early morning dew off when out hiking during the summer in denser brush and woods.