K&M Matchcase mini psk?

Posted by: Kris

K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/02/10 09:09 AM

Guys,

I have a few K&M Match Cases coming in the mail (a regular and long one) and I was thinking of creating a psk with one.

I currently don't have them but what would/could you put in one based on the space?

Kris

Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/02/10 11:06 AM

I have one-I would dedicate the smaller one to firebuilding stuff, and throw some fishing kit, some tin foil, sewing kit, and a few other small items in there. You could wrap 550 cord around both of them, for cordage.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/02/10 12:11 PM

No, wrap 20 or 30lb spyder wire around the outside. Cover it with electrician's tape. You can get a good 50' around a K&M. Spyder wire is strong enough for light shelter building, snares, sewing and as a trigger for traps.

In terms of content's (and yes I have already done this smile ) I suggest the following:

2 x sail makers needle's.
4 or 5 strike anywhere matches.
4 Tinder-quick (on a string).
4 hooks.
Split shot.
X-acto blade or similar.

Forget about water purification. That should be with your water bottle / bladder.

If you have any space left - add more matches. But don't overfill the case. You are only planning for a weeks worth of fire lighting at most.

Posted by: ironraven

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/03/10 01:45 AM

Well... I built something similiar, that is now part of my EDC. Keep in mind, it lives in the same pocket of my bag as my SAK, Fenix E01, and lighter.

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/03/10 09:51 AM

If I can fit the sparklite into it like Ironraven, i'll go that route. I would like this to be airline safe. If not, i'll exclude fire lighting for this kit.

When they come in, i'll give everything a shot. Will try to add the below items as well:
-two 4" zip ties (folded)
-safety pin
-micro sd card with info
-RITR paper cut down and rolled
-20 or 50 pound note
-cut down ritter psk pencil

I was experimenting wrapping duct tape, electrical tape and some fine cordage (fishing line) on the outside of a pipe, then using clear electrical shrink tubing over it for a tight fit. Then it would eliminate tape gunk and the line from coming loose in everyday use of the compass. So far, not successful. I would like to use ranger bands but can't find an inner tube with a small diameter.
Posted by: williamlatham

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/03/10 10:50 AM

For small diameter inner tubes, go to a bike shop and ask for 700-20 to 700-23 tubes. They should be about the right size. If they have old ones they changed out you might get them for free. 700-20 is for a 20mm wide tire.

Bill

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/03/10 12:25 PM

Thanks!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/03/10 01:17 PM

Kris,

I experimented with plastic coin holders for a PSK. Look in the photo gallery for what I did. It was posted in April of 2008. The coin tube used the U.S. Quarter-sized one; about 25mm in diameter.

Shameless plug intended.

My $.02
Posted by: Alex

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/04/10 04:14 PM

Thanks for the finding. Looks really nice. The link to their site is under the image. Looking forward to your experimenting.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/04/10 11:37 PM

Those are nice! So question, off topic, sorry, but if I order a long one and want to put REI strike anywheres in it, where is the best place for striking material?

Thanks!

R

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/05/10 01:17 AM

I just realized these things aren't threaded...I don't think I'd buy one as a result.

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/05/10 04:38 AM

Not threaded, but double O-ringed. They work and there is no risk of cross threading. The only problem I've ever heard of had to do with a fairly radical pressure change which effectively hermetically sealed the matches, but that was from someone who does special and weird things for his government paycheck.

No scuba, no halo, you'll be fine. :P
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/05/10 05:00 AM

You ask-Where can you place striking material? The knurled surface area,or rough grip area of the Matchcase provides the striking surface for the matches.
Posted by: aloha

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/06/10 01:06 AM

Covering the spiderwire with a ranger band might be more secure than electrician's tape. Less tacky too if it is sitting for a while before use.

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
No, wrap 20 or 30lb spyder wire around the outside. Cover it with electrician's tape. You can get a good 50' around a K&M. Spyder wire is strong enough for light shelter building, snares, sewing and as a trigger for traps.

In terms of content's (and yes I have already done this smile ) I suggest the following:

2 x sail makers needle's.
4 or 5 strike anywhere matches.
4 Tinder-quick (on a string).
4 hooks.
Split shot.
X-acto blade or similar.

Forget about water purification. That should be with your water bottle / bladder.

If you have any space left - add more matches. But don't overfill the case. You are only planning for a weeks worth of fire lighting at most.

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/06/10 09:13 PM

I was considering buying on to use with REI matches. Don't those require red phosphorous striker?
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/06/10 10:39 PM

I have the long one and fit:
-Micro fishing kit (one of IronRaven's from awhile back, in the amber glass vial)
-5 lifeboat matches, striker strip
-2 tinder tabs and a spark-lite
-2 micropur tablets
-needle, thread, 2 safety pins

Things wound up a bit too smooshed for my liking, and a little too hard to get out of it when needed. Then I realized I use it more as just a matchsafe than as a kit, but it's still a good alternative for a tiny kit.

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/07/10 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Not threaded, but double O-ringed. They work and there is no risk of cross threading. The only problem I've ever heard of had to do with a fairly radical pressure change which effectively hermetically sealed the matches, but that was from someone who does special and weird things for his government paycheck.

No scuba, no halo, you'll be fine. :P

A friend of mine did a deep dive with one and experience the same thing... he was curious what would happen and now has it in his office. You would swear it was welded shut.

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/07/10 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Christina
-Micro fishing kit (one of IronRaven's from awhile back, in the amber glass vial)
-2 micropur tablets

Things wound up a bit too smooshed for my liking, and a little too hard to get out of it when needed. Then I realized I use it more as just a matchsafe than as a kit, but it's still a good alternative for a tiny kit.

Thanks. Still waiting on them, so I took the time yesterday to rebuild a medimum sized kit. Buggered it up, and have to redo it again tonight (if the boys let me).
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/07/10 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Christina
-2 micropur tablets

Christina,
If you've got the matches, you don't need the spark-lite.
If your going to use the spark-lite then loose the matches. More tinder is better. Always assume that you need a substained flame for your tinder. Tinder is always presumed to be damp.
Personally I would go five lifeboat matches and four tinder-quick. One disadvantage of the spark-lite is that you need to have one good hand to use it. With matches you can use anything part of you that can grip. Like, oh say, your teeth, elbows, palm of your hands.
The reason why I use spyder wire is that it can be used for many things. Including sewing.
smile smile smile

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/07/10 11:11 AM

Christina - I like your fire backup - more fire makes me happier.

The Scuba situation is interesting. Shouldn't increasing exterior pressure make it impossible to open submerged, but once you return to the surface, assuming there was no gas or liquid exchange past the two o-rings, shouldn't the interior pressure again match the exterior pressure and shouldn't it operate normally? At high altitude though I might think the higher interior pressure might blow the cap, reclosing it would be a mistake because then returning to say sea level would mean you've got low pressure under higher pressure making it difficult to open.

If someone has one of these that seems welded shut, it isn't much more than a paper weight anyways, I vote they put steel pins through the top and bottom lanyard holes, secure each pin to the sides of a large vise (weld them on?) and slowly screw the vise open - see what happens. You may rip the pins through the brass or aluminum, you may pop the seal, or the whole thing may EXPLODE (probably not, but I like to disclaim). Doing this is unsafe, so if you decide to risk it wear protective gear! Have jacket, pants, gloves, and face/eye shield, ear protection as well. While I would do this, I have bad judgement, anyone reading this should not attempt such a silly and dangerous thing.

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/07/10 11:56 PM

If someone has one that is at this stage, rather than putting pins in it, they can PM me. I will gladly attempt this for the cost of shipping and handling- being a reincarnationlist, explosions don't scare me as much as they do most people. smile

Re: K&M Matchcase mini psk? - 06/17/10 06:20 AM

RoyalMail strikes again. They lost the package between the truck and the building.

Debating on doing the order again.

Off to submit a claim which in my experience with RoyalMail so far will result in nothing but time wasted and denied funds.

***Amazing, when you post something like this it shows up 30 mins later!!!!! On the redelivery it apparently it went to some other town then back to the city and got 'lost' for a brief period of time.