HAL does parallel parking with a twist.

Posted by: Art_in_FL

HAL does parallel parking with a twist. - 05/15/10 04:28 AM

http://scienceblogs.com/pontiff/2010/05/who_needs_aircars_when_the_fut.php

Now how many of you understand the HAL reference? How many of you caught it and understand what HAL was derived from?
Posted by: jzmtl

Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. - 05/15/10 04:41 AM

Got the reference, I guess I'm in the minority who think the movie sucks.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. - 05/15/10 11:04 AM

HAL

(H+1) (A+1) (L+1)

IBM

At the time, the biggest and most powerful non-aerospace company in America.
Posted by: roberttheiii

Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. - 05/15/10 03:34 PM

And still a surprisingly big and powerful company!

I never new HAL was from IBM. Pretty sweet, though I can't say I'm a HUGE fan of the film.

Anyone seen "Moon" - I intend to, sort of reminded me of A Space Odyssey based on the previews.
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. - 05/15/10 04:41 PM

Arthur C. Clarke stated that he didn't notice the "one step ahead of IBM" aspect of the HAL name while writing the script and that if he had he would have changed the name.

The "teenager's parking technique" makes a neat video (and a good foot in the door to get more research grants, most important!) but what's most impressive is that the vehicle can apparently "learn" through a mix of both predicted and "acquired" actions.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: HAL does parallel parking with a twist. - 05/15/10 10:25 PM

I though the clip, and the technique itself, performed by machine or human, has interesting. I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea of teenagers trying this anywhere near me or my vehicle.

I think everyone understands it is a stunt designed to attract attention to autonomous vehicle technology and to have a little fun testing the limits of what their project vehicle can do.

But it isn't like it hasn't been done before. This is really just a 'bootleggers turn' to a stop. I've done the turn but couldn't do the parking. Wouldn't want to try.

I just dread the idea that one day I will hear that sickening crumpling metal sound of a crash, look out, and see that some kid blew the timing on the execution and took out the front of my truck.

Then the hard part ... facing some drunk/stoned kid who climbs out of his wrecked vehicle and tells me: Dude ... I just so totally had to go for it ... you understand .... right? Whereupon I feel a certain tightness behind the eyes .... and totally lose my s**t. After that it is a blur of blood, a wave of sheriffs deputies, sirens, and wide-eyed inmates staring and whispering among themselves '... and he did what to the kid !?! ... Is that even possible?'