Light my fire....

Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Light my fire.... - 04/24/10 05:07 PM

I purchased some 3" x 1/4" ferrocerium rods. I want to put some sort of small handle or ring on the top to attach to a keychain. Any ideas?
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Light my fire.... - 04/24/10 06:05 PM

I just ordered some ferrocerium rod that was mentioned in another recent thread. I plan to make a few rods to give out as gifts. So far my ideas for the handles include deer antler, bison bone and carved white chestnut wood as I already have all 3 of these materials on hand

Once I receive the rod (probably early this coming week) I am sure more ideas will surface. In the meantime and like you I would be interested in more suggestions.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Light my fire.... - 04/24/10 06:20 PM

I like the firesteel handles made from antlers, but they seem more decorative and fun in nature than for inclusion in a survival kit. They're just so big.

I've also seen a number of nice firesteel handles made from a number of different types of wood.

I'm experimenting with the idea of stone handles right now, and if I had access to a machine shop I'd use some of my skills to make a handle and tube from metal.
Posted by: sybert777

Re: Light my fire.... - 04/27/10 11:55 AM

If you dont use one of those, or half of one, I could use it in my little Blastmatch Prototype, I just need some nice steel to use in the striker tabs. (yes it has 2) Any suggestions, I can cut steel if neeed be. Doug Ritter, PM me if you want specs and any questions about it, its going to be good.