$300 million dollar Disaster Yacht

Posted by: Horus

$300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 03:45 PM

Jeez, Blast! Here it is again. Somethin', somethin', somethin', this 38-year-old Russian fertilizer king just built himself a $300 million dollar yacht designed, in part, to fend off pirates and other armed yachts of other oligarchs. Read and SEE more here, if you can stomach it.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 04:23 PM

Anyone else think that hull is reminiscent of WW2 subs?

Fun looking boat though.

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 04:31 PM

Yes! Made me daydream about torpedo tubes.
Posted by: Arney

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 04:44 PM

That knife-edge bow reminds me of the Nautilus submarine from the movie, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I was half-expecting to read that it had a radar-absorbing/deflecting coating. Gotta keep those pirate mother ships guessing, y'know. wink
Posted by: Blast

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 05:40 PM

Aw crap, I hit "edit" rather than "reply" and accidently nuked your post. :-(
Can you repost the information?

Really, really sorry.
-Blast

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 05:54 PM

Okay. I re-edited my original post with a close approximation of what I remember it to be.
Posted by: LED

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/16/10 09:05 PM

Pretty slick. How much you wanna bet he cruises around Somalia just to tease the pirates. cool

Quote:
Captain Nemo: "You underestimate the Nautilus. You underestimate her greatly."
Posted by: Desperado

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: LED
Pretty slick. How much you wanna bet he cruises around Somalia just to tease the pirates. cool

Quote:
Captain Nemo: "You underestimate the Nautilus. You underestimate her greatly."

How much ya' wanna bet he and his security staff can return fire with weapons and training better than the Somali pirates also.....
Posted by: LED

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 01:52 AM

Was watching a 60 minutes episode about the Russian billionaire who's buying an NBA team and among his many toys was a custom made spesnaz rifle. I imagine Russian billionaires have access to just about any weapon made. So yeah, they probably have a mini-arsenal on board.
Posted by: Arney

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 02:17 AM

Although "Somali pirates" make for interesting reading, I wouldn't be surprised if all that security were for more sinister threats. You don't become a Russian billionaire by being a boy scout. I would put assassinations, kidnapping, espionage, etc. higher on the list of threats to this guy.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 02:27 AM

When you're in that league, you just call in an airstrike and put it on your AmEx card. grin
Posted by: Russ

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 11:42 AM

Speaking of airstrikes check out one of A's larger cousins the Eclipse
Quote:
. . .the Eclipse has a military-grade missile defence system. . .
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 02:46 PM

Ship Of Fools..that was in Russia also----
Posted by: Susan

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 04:45 PM

BEN! BEN! THIS IS THE ONE!

This is the boat for your Benjammin's Pirate-Baiting Cruises!

It's got everything!

Whoooo-hoooo!

Sue
Posted by: JBMat

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/17/10 08:48 PM

And who wants to be that some of the "staff" is former Russian Spetsnaz and/or Marine Infantry?

"Kapitan, appears to be a pirate wessel off the port side"
"Fire phasers Mr. Chekov"

Still, looks like one heckofa nice ship. I wouldn't mind owning just one of the powerboats decked aboard.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: $300 million dollar Disaster Yacht - 04/18/10 01:50 AM

For $12 million, albeit in 70s dollars, figure $24 million now, you could buy one of these for your pirate hunting fun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Tacoma_%28PGM-92%29

http://www.gunboatriders.com/theboats/general_spec.html

Even by today's standards the performance of the gunboat is impressive. Updated with a modern turbine and diesel, lighter, smaller, and more fuel efficient for the same output, they would be even better. Add modern computer controlled dynamic ballasting and roll-control fins so it is more stable and you overcome many of its design weaknesses. The fact that all its electronics were designed in the late 60s and 70s means you save space, weight, energy, and gain reliability when replaced by modern units.

At $24 million a pop $300 million will buy you twelve. He could have his own fleet.