Need a new thermos!

Posted by: Kris

Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 06:20 AM

All,

I've been in the UK since mid January and been commuting by train since (btw: I will add to the 'commuting by train' thread shortly). I've spent months trying to find a good coffee shop and nothing. Yes, there are the Starbuck's, the Nero's and the few mom and pop's... but nothing that I would classify as good enough that I would return to.

After all of that, I broke down and bought my own grinder and espresso kit. Well I should say I was told by my wife to stort out the coffee situation or else (she was serious!).

Now i'm bringing my favorite drink to work in the morning in some thermos that started leaking after day four of use.

Here's my critria and hoping that someone out there has been there/done that:
-500 to 600 ml
-will not leak, ever
-will stand up to being in my briefcase for the ride in the morning
-ideally, if it doesn't have the screw on cup/lid that would be great, but not a deal breaker
-will not leak!!!!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Kris
Posted by: fooman

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 06:45 AM

The Nissan/Thermos brand has quite a wide selection and are very efficient in holding heat in. I've gotten a couple for my parents. No leaks.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 06:57 AM

I second the suggestion for Thermos.
I have had great use from their stainless steel thermoses and they are a lot cheaper than they used to be.

I would also recommend Stanley/Aladdin brand except for them being much heavier, but maybe their newer versions are lighter.

(remember, NEVER try cleaning them with bleach. Bleach causes pinholes in the steel and wrecks them)
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool
I second the suggestion for Thermos.

So do I. They have quite a line up of different sizes and opening mechanisms, take your pick. I think all of them are good. Haven't tried many other quality brands, but the quality leap between no-name brands (your average reasonably priced stuff) and a Thermos thermos is HUGE.. Get a all-stainless steel (no fancy colors) so you can toss it in the dish washer.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 09:03 AM

Sigg does a nice range of Thermos bottles;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0013...027FJW4Z2VTQSX5

Lifeventure Thermos's might be worthwhile checking out as well. Good brand but slightly less expensive than the Sigg Steelworks Thermos's.

http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/cookware/tiv-vacuum-flasks.html

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 09:24 AM

I have Lifeventure's thermos right now, their 0.5 Litre one. Got it at the local outdoor shop and leaks like mad now.

Highly don't recommend it.

Would like to try Sigg's, but do you know if they put the lining on them like their water bottles?

Looking at Thermos now, they have one thats similiar to the Lifeventure one I have now. Fits nice in the briefcase. Debating on it.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 10:30 AM

I had good luck with both Nissan and Thermos. My Nissan is old enough to be exhibited in a museum.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 11:44 AM

I've taken coffee to work for years (am partial to Harris-Teeter brand Hazelnut), mostly in 18 oz thermoses that LL Bean sells. I also use these for biking and walking in winter weather -- carrying them in backpacks. Coffee stays hot all day.

No leaks, ever.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48415?parentCategory=9007&feat=9007-tn&cat4=1099

My favorite larger thermos is one I bought at a Dunkin' Donuts in New Hampshire on vacation a few years back. It's stainless and has a nice DD logo-emblazoned rubber grip midway on the thermos.

No leakage.

This new vacuum bottle that Bean is carrying looks promising, but I don't have one to vouch for from experience.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64055?parentCategory=9007&feat=9007-tn&cat4=1099

Innate Kaze Stainless-Steel Vacuum Bottle, 450 ml
BPA-free stainless-steel vacuum bottle, ideal for hot or cold liquids

This next item is not a thermos, but an 8 oz flask and I love it for walking around. Great for shoulder bags or coat pocket. BPA-free stainless. I transport it inside a small neoprene bottle holder and it stays cold or hot for quite awhile. No leakage. It's not insulated so filled with hot coffee, grabbing it with bare hands will hurt. Fine with gloves.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64043?feat=sr&freeText=flask
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 01:33 PM

+1 on Nissan. I was given one maybe 8 years ago and it's still going strong. Much more effective at holding heat than the stainless Thermos I had at the time. Much lighter too.
Posted by: ChristinaRodriguez

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 01:40 PM

I highly recommend anything in the Zojirushi line. My husband has used the Tuff Slim Thermos for 2 or 3 years now and it's never leaked: http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-17-Ounce...5859&sr=8-4

It really keeps things hot for a long time. I've poured tea in there and it would still be steaming 6 hours later.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Christina
I highly recommend anything in the Zojirushi line.

+1 on Zojirushi brand. The Japanese have long made great insulated food containers. Tiger is another good Japanese brand. I have both brands and they have never let me down. Make sure you get a Made in Japan one. I wouldn't be surprised if both companies have cheaper models made elsewhere that are sold in discount stores.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: scafool
(remember, NEVER try cleaning them with bleach. Bleach causes pinholes in the steel and wrecks them)

+1 bleach is highly corrosive. To remove coffee stains, I use "softened" water to soak overnight and usually the interior is back to like-new condition the next morning. If the stain is really thick, may take more than one try to get it shiny again. I use powerdered Calgon water softener, but I assume liquid water softener should work equally well. May temporarily leave a floral scent from the water softener.

The water softener tricks works wonders on many baked on stains in pots and pans. I have soaked burnt food for days in plain water--nothing. Still rock hard. But then one night of soaking with the water softener and it slips right off as I pour out the water.

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 02:41 PM

The Lifeventure TIV should come with both the screw stopper and the one touch stopper. If the bottle is leaking especially when using the screw stopper I would take it back to the store for a replacement as it doesn't meet British Standards for quality or safety.

Quote:
Would like to try Sigg's, but do you know if they put the lining on them like their water bottles?

Being food grade stainless steel the Sigg thermos doesn't have a lining.

Quote:
Looking at Thermos now, they have one thats similiar to the Lifeventure one I have now. Fits nice in the briefcase. Debating on it.

If it's the Thermos Everyday 50 model I would stay well away. I have one and cannot stand the design of the stopper. The Leak proof auto stopper for easy pouring operation is very difficult to clean and isn't very leak proof and it doesn't pour well either. It really is only useful for boiling water rather than coffee as it is such a pain in the b*tt to keep clean.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermos-Everyday-Stainless-Steel-Flask/dp/B0001MQ8IU

Posted by: Alex

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/14/10 04:01 PM

Zojirushi. I have this one for 3 years or so. Very well made and thought out construction. Pouring nose is extremely convenient.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/15/10 01:01 AM

RE Stainless steel and bleech

There is actually a major problem with chlorides and stainless - it's one ofthe reasons that boilers are not ALLOWED to be made out of stainless - Look up Chloride Stress Cracking of stainless - almost everthing you will find DOES have to do with pressure vessels (in particular Nuke Reactors), but...
Posted by: Blast

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/15/10 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: KG2V
RE Stainless steel and bleech

There is actually a major problem with chlorides and stainless - it's one ofthe reasons that boilers are not ALLOWED to be made out of stainless - Look up Chloride Stress Cracking of stainless - almost everthing you will find DOES have to do with pressure vessels (in particular Nuke Reactors), but...

+10 to this. CSC keeps me employed.

-Blast
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/15/10 05:41 AM

Wow, that's interesting. Especially since it's counter-intuitive. Maybe I could make some (utterly shameless) points the next time I pitch a tech writing gig. Got any links I could look at?
Posted by: Blast

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/15/10 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Wow, that's interesting. Especially since it's counter-intuitive. Maybe I could make some (utterly shameless) points the next time I pitch a tech writing gig. Got any links I could look at?

Here you go, with pictures and everything.
What is Chloride Stress Cracking?

-Blast

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/19/10 11:20 AM

I had ordered the Sigg thermo bottle ring line and it was delivered today. So time for a quick review.

It is now in the process of being returned to back to Amazon. Although the bottle is beautifully designed and very attractive aesthetics, its performance is appalling. No name brands from the local discount store will perform better.

The stopper doesn't leak hot water, but the the whole bottle just leaks heat. The main stainless steel body is actually warmer to the touch than the cup and stopper at the top of the bottle indicating very little vacuum between the stainless steel walls. For the price that was paid this is completely unacceptable for a vacuum flask and now makes me wonder about the quality of the products that Sigg produce. It doesn't compare to even a 1 litre Coleman flask or even the el cheapo Thermos Everyday 50 model I have.

In think I will replace the Sigg with a Stanley thermos (are these Chinese made as well?) or try and retrieve the ancient Taiwanese made Coleman flask, I have lent out to a friend.

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/19/10 11:59 AM

Thanks for that mini review.
Posted by: rebwa

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/20/10 02:32 AM

As far as keeping stuff hot and being durable, Stanley's are hard to beat. I stopped by Borders book store the other day and in their coffee shop they were selling a really sharp looking red Stanley thermos.

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/20/10 03:55 PM

I ordered an Stanley Aladdin Classic l ltr from here here yesterday to replace the Sigg which has been sent back. Arrived this morning!! I can't fault the Thermos except they are slightly heavy (should be tough and robust though). I'm now tempted to get the 1.9litre version for home emergency use and also the 0.47ltr version for outdoor use. The Stanleys appear to be very well made and very thermally efficient. Oh and the 1 ltr version does not leak either. The 0.47 version looks to have the same stopper and cup design as the larger models.

Posted by: celler

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/21/10 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I had good luck with both Nissan and Thermos. My Nissan is old enough to be exhibited in a museum.

+1 on the Nissan. Made like a tank and lasts forever. I have one that is at least 15 years old.

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/24/10 12:08 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions... I was on a site earlier today to pick up some Klean Kanteens for the kids and picked up this guy for myself:
http://www.littleacornstomightyoaks.co.uk/klean-kanteen-wide-insulated.php

going to give it a shot... not expecting too much. But it should be leak proof!

Re: Need a new thermos! - 04/29/10 07:43 AM

First day with the insulated Klean Kanteen and i'm impressed. Kept my coffee nice and warm for 3 hours. Sides of the unit were cool to the touch (as you would expect) but did notice that the loop cap was warm when I was touching it. Definitly heat loss there but not too much to be a factor for myself.

I will test it out later night and see if I can get liquids to stay hot to the 6 hour mark as mentioned on their site. I can see this being realistic.

On another note, the form factor is awesome for the briefcase and it doens't leak at all (when you use the screw top lid). And it does a quick convert to a travel mug when you get the cafe cap.

Over all, highly recommend it.