Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving

Posted by: SARbound

Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/13/10 09:33 PM

Hello everyone,

Phew, things have been going very fast this week at work!

On thursday, my boss announced to a co-worker and I that he had accepted another job and would be leaving very shortly. Yesterday, his boss came to see me and asked me if I was interesting in taking the job temporarily until they find someone fit to do the work. I'm still young and I never really took the time to think about my career in the medium term... Wether I would be interested in perhaps working my way up in the management levels... or simply become a great experienced employee, scoring bonuses from time to time.

I decided to accept the job, knowing that it will be temporary : anywhere from a few months to maybe a year, max.

To problem is, I don't have much time to think about all this and since I don't have that much experience managing people, I would appreciate any advice, website or book recommendations, or any other resources that some of you that went the same path found unvaluable.

Things that I intend to do :

1) Maintain the boat afloat... keep everyone happy as much as I can, encourage efforts and just try to keep things running smoothly;

2) Stop going out for lunch with "co-workers" and chit chat about work. I think they will understand, but I expect to be up-front with it and just tell them that for the time being, I can't really continue going out with them

3) Not hesitate to meet with the other boss to discuss personnel issues (problematic issues, etc.)

Things that I intend *NOT* to do :

1) Become an arrogant boss, because one day these people will become my co-workers again

2) Organize a kick-off meeting, and give a lame speech... people know what they have to do (in my line of work) and I think it would just be awkward;

I expect the announcement to be made on tuesday or wednesday...

Any help would be appreciated. What tips have been the most valuable to those of you who experienced this? What were the most important things you learned in the process?

Thank you for everything!

SARbound
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/13/10 10:51 PM

If you quit going out to lunch with them, they will most likely think you're that arrogant boss. If you quit going out to lunch with them now, I wouldn't expect to pick the practice back up when the permanent replacement arrives. You're just the temp, and your boss let you know that when the term "Suitable Replacement" was used. Don't ruin your working relationship with your coworkers because you've been given a short term assignment.

I've held several managerial positions where I was promoted from within. They always went the best when I let my workers know up front that I was going to have to adhere to the rules or ask for changes where I felt it necessary, not that I ever played fast and loose with the rules anyway, and that I expected them to do the same.

Let them know up front that you will treat everyone fairly and that should now expect you to make managerial decisions whereas you didn't previously. Within that idea convey to everyone that it's Day One as far as you're concerned. If they have a clean slate no one will be freaking out over past offenses that you know about such as calling in sick so they could go to Vegas or whatever. Having said that, let them know that you're not a pushover and if someone has a recurring habit of doing things that are against company policy or other and you didn't previously report it to management, tell them that you expect the behavior to stop.

Unfortunately you're in a tough position because it's not permanent.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/13/10 11:21 PM

- When you make decisions stick to them. Short term, and long-term... everyone hates a boss who always changes the rules or similar weekly/monthly or just too often for the situation.

- Don't try to make everyone happy or everyone will be upset. You need to have rules, they must be followed. Don't leave it up to your old co-workers to make decisions that a manager should be making for them.

- Compliment your workers, and let them know you appreciate their work.

Posted by: ILBob

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/13/10 11:27 PM

If this truly is temporary, I would not change a whole lot of what you are doing, as at some point you need to go back to the way it was and fit back in.

If you want it to be permanent, you will need to change some things, but it seems like the company does not trust you enough to make it permanent, putting you in a tough spot.

I don't think random people on the Internet are going to be able to give you anything approaching good advice simply because we do not know anything about your situation and it is almost certain you know a lot less than you think you do about the situation, making it hard for you to make good decisions.

The best advice I can give you is to be honest and above board with everyone. If someone asks you something you don't know the answer to - just say so. If they ask you something you are not in a position to tell them, say so.

Don't quibble and don't engage in manager speak. People who do that think they are being clever but the reality is it that it makes people trust them even less than if you flat out lied about things.

Posted by: bws48

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 12:22 AM

some ideas:

1. Be yourself. Your co-workers already know you, so don't try to be something different. You can still go to lunch etc. Just be careful not to talk about the 'confidential' info you may know that is not public knowledge yet.

2. Lead, don't manage.

3. Give frequent feedback. If you see someone doing something right, say so and thank them. If you see someone doing something wrong, privately talk to them about how they should have done it. Read "The One Minute Manager" for more about this.

4. Resist at all costs the urge to micro-manage. It is amazing what giving a person a job to do and then leaving them alone to do it will accomplish.

Good luck.
Posted by: timo

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 01:26 AM

Trying to "make everyone happy" is not a manager's responsibility. Don't even try because you'll become a door mat in short order.

Each employee has to make their own decision if they are happy doing the job they do or not.

You cannot solve everyones' problems. At best, a good manager creates an atmosphere in which their employees feel as though they can express their concerns without fear of punishment or recrimination. Sometimes people just want to get something off their chests. It's when they can't express themselves that frustration begins to ferment into disloyalty.

If employees feel as though they can come to you with a problem, that's enough.
You may not be able to solve the problem. It may not even be yours to solve in the first place. But if they feel as though you listened and heard them out and maybe offered some advice or suggestions your battle is half won.

Be yourself. But remember, plumbers are well paid because of what we are not willing to deal with ourselves. Your unhappy employees are free to wallow in misery or leave and try to find another job.
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 02:10 AM

I'll let everyone else make people management suggestions, for myself, I'll offer congratulations and suggest that in my experience "temporary" promotions often turn out permanent or a step to another upgraded position if you do a good job. Don't treat it as temporary, treat like an opportunity to earn the permanent promotion.
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 02:55 AM

Military practice is to promote and then move the newly promoted guy to another unit. Experience shows that it's generally very difficult for guys to make the transition and for the troops to accept it. Fresh start is better.

Temporary boss is a difficult spot to be in because orgs may or may not mean it. I was a temp boss for awhile but that was only until the unit was greatly rearranged and the 2nd level guy stayed scarce to avoid combat with his peers.
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 03:26 AM

I recommend the book: "Lincoln on Leadership".

It's easy reading and interesting. Not recommended for insomniacs.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 06:04 AM

If the organization is working, even nominally, don't change anything for a time. There are dynamics as a boss you probably don't fully understand so listen closely and tread lightly as you maintain continuity. If the organization is functioning the people know what they are doing.

Leading an organization that knows you as 'one of the guys' can be difficult. Taking orders from a peer is inflammatory. Some of this can be soft petaled by allowing people to come up with their own best solution. In an organization where people generally know what to do simply asking 'what do you think needs to happen', or 'how did we handle it last time'.

You taking over an organization that is generally going in the right direction. With people who are going to resent an major changes. Imagine driving a car on ice. Make any changes gentle and gradual. If you steer or brake too aggressively it will slide and you lose control.

The organization is functioning and the level of control available is limited so it is ripe for simply working over and around any leader that attempts to work the controls too aggressively for the bonds of confidence and loyalty to bear.

Lean on the sergeants. Bring the individual group leaders, those directly under the boss by flow chart of acclaim, and explain that it was just a matter of luck that you got the nod. Smooth over any potential for jealousy by stating clearly that your not going to make big changes an time soon and that you are depending on their judgment and assistance. Further that if they see you screwing up to pull you aside and explain the situation and help you through the transition. That you will listen.

Stay calm, relax, breath, listen. Don't try to changes things. Your there to manage and limit the damage caused by problems. Not necessarily to eliminate the problem. Many angry people can be placated by just listening and making it clear that your listening and really hearing them. Don't fix what isn't broken. Strive for continuity and allow people to see that you can keep things running as smoothly as the old boss.

Once they see you can handle that you can use that base level of confidence and loyalty to leverage improvements down the road once you have earned your spurs.

Do Not start out with the 'there's a new sheriff in town', 'there are going to be some changes', 'we gonna do things a new way', 'shake things up' speech. Ideally an outside observer should see no changes.

Posted by: TheSock

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 07:56 AM

All good advice so far, especially Dougs. To hell with 'temporary' this is your opportunity to get the job permanently!
Stop thinking (and certainly never say) I'm 'only' temporary. You'll undermine your authority.
Your boss isn't giving you the position for possibly a year because he thinks you can't do it.
Well Done!
The Sock
Posted by: leemann

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 08:14 AM

Agreed Well done!.

Lee
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 12:51 PM

Well done. I agree with the statement about leading people. You manage programs; you lead people.

I also like Doug's input: this is your job, period. Time doesn't matter. You have to treat it like it is yours forever.

Tap into the knowledge of the others in a similar position.

Read the Lincoln book.

Have fun learning about yourself.

Congratulations!
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 03:57 PM

When I was a team lead, I found that one of the best motivational tools I had was a chocolate chip cookie! (well, one guy didn't like chocolate chip - he got oatmeal raisin)

We had a store that sold fresh baked cookies downstairs. If someone did something that took a bit of 'extra effort' - or even met a milestone that we all knew they could make, but made sure they did it, they would come back from lunch, and find a little bag with a cookie on their desk, and a quick note from me "Thanks for XXX". It was basically a nice way to say "I noticed you did this, and thank you"

I set the goals (in my mind) low enough that most folks were going to get a cookie a week or so - sometimes more, sometimes less. I also made time to spend say 5 minutes a day at everyone's cube, as say "You having any problems, anything you need me to do?"
Posted by: Russ

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 06:37 PM

Like many others, I did not like being in management; however, when a new boss arrived one of the the first thing he said was to not expect any changes. If your previous boss was good and things were flowing, then maintain the same policies -- don't change things that work. If things are off, you might find out about them over lunch. Before you make any changes though, look for the unintended consequences -- dominoes fall. I never liked management. . .
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I'll let everyone else make people management suggestions, for myself, I'll offer congratulations and suggest that in my experience "temporary" promotions often turn out permanent or a step to another upgraded position if you do a good job. Don't treat it as temporary, treat like an opportunity to earn the permanent promotion.

Sorry Doug, I don't think that is going to happen. frown

In fact I would go as so far as to say that he has just been royally screwed over. I've been in this position with an ex-college of mine. She was the Assistant to the Manager of ........... Uk Ltd. He resigned. She was told that she was to act as manager until such time as a replacement was appointed. Despite being the de facto deputy manager, she was not going to get the job. She asked my advise. I told her to refuse, until or unless threatened with dismissal. Then do the job under protest. I also told her that she should secure other employment. Then resign, making it clear in her resignation that she resigns because of the companys actions.

My reasoning is/was that:

1) If your good enough to to the job "temporarily" then you are good enough to promote.

2) Doing the job and then having a new manager brought in over you will be cause anyone examining your work record to conclude that you were not up to the job. In consequence you were demoted for cause .

3) The manager is actually expecting you to show Loyalty and Commitment to them. Whilst being grossly disloyal to you as their employee.

Ok, advice. Approach your Manager. Ask him for the reasons why, despite you being expected to do the job "temporarily", you are not being considered for or being allowed to apply for the position. Do it in writing. Keep a copy.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/14/10 09:57 PM

I think you are over reacting, and I would not advocate this course of action. I have been in this position on several occasions, and it has worked out quite well. In one case, in particular, I was in the position for slightly over a year (with a boost in pay and perks) and I had a chance to try the job on for size. How often do you get that opportunity?

One of the imponderables here is the matter of corporate/job culture, which varies vastly from occupation to occupation and from situation to situation. Leigh could be right, although I doubt it. It is hard to say, not knowing your company (we don't need to know, although you do). The chances are you show something exceptional to management and they want to see you on a trial flight. Do a decent job, and it will look good on the resume and advance the old career.

The advice you have been given about references to consult is right on. Research the subject.

Never BS the troops. Don't promise anything you can't deliver, and keep your promises. Make your expectations clear and objective. Keep an open door. I am not sure I would give up the lunches - it depends on your situation. I was frequently working with people I supervised in a field situation, where we had three meals a day together, and close contact all the time. It worked quite well, nearly always.
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/15/10 07:17 AM

What he does is entirly down to him. Personally I would not. For the reasons I have given.

By all means do the job for the experience but be aware that:
1) You can never go back to being one of the boys.
2) You will always be the spare, not the heir.
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/15/10 08:05 AM

In my view, some of the best leaders are found among the ones that have worked their way up through the ranks. It doesn't work with everyone - hence the term "raise to your level of incompetence", but I'd much rather be led by an experienced co-worker than a pointy haired "manager" who has a very limited understanding of what's going on.

Without knowing your company culture and organization it is hard to make any hard recommendations. In an organization where company policy dictates that you NEVER will have that position permanently I would be sceptical for the reasons Leigh posted. In a more practical oriented organization I'd jump for it. And remember you always have the option of formally educating yourself in some areas that the company would like to see in their leaders.

Go for lunch with your buddies - otherwise you're sending the message that you've just become a pointy haired snot who's too good for their company. But be frank whenever there's a conflict between your role as boss and your role as buddy. They will respect that. Remember that there is ALWAYS some inter personal relationship that does not follow organization charts. Handled correctly, such relationship are not a problem. Make a mess out of it and they will be.

Make no speeches and be frank and honest.
Posted by: chaosmagnet

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/15/10 03:02 PM

I was promoted to lead a group of peers at work years ago.

Take a one-day "How to Supervise People" seminar, even if it has to be at your own expense. This is one that I like: http://www.careertrack.com/mkt_info/seminars/desc/TW.asp .

Listen to your people. Ask them for their suggestions. Then make your decision.

Praise in public, criticize in private. Criticism should be constructive whenever possible.

When something goes wrong, accept the blame. Their failures are your failures. When something goes right, give credit to the subordinate. Their successes are your successes.

Communicate clearly, and frequently. A very common source of employee discontent is a lack of feedback.

Fight to make sure your people have what they need to get the job done. Shield them from upper management foolishness.

Do not lie to your people, ever. Keep faith with them and the good ones will keep faith with you.

Don't be afraid to delegate, and don't be afraid to pitch in.

When I brought a new person on board, I gave them a little speech: "If you see me about to do something stupid, stop me. Part of your job is to keep me from stepping on my dick. I hired you for your brains, not your hands."
Posted by: bsmith

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/16/10 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
In fact I would go as so far as to say that he has just been royally screwed over. I've been in this position with an ex-college of mine. She was the Assistant to the Manager of ........... Uk Ltd. He resigned. She was told that she was to act as manager until such time as a replacement was appointed. Despite being the de facto deputy manager, she was not going to get the job. She asked my advise. I told her to refuse, until or unless threatened with dismissal. Then do the job under protest. I also told her that she should secure other employment. Then resign, making it clear in her resignation that she resigns because of the companys actions.

My reasoning is/was that:

1) If your good enough to to the job "temporarily" then you are good enough to promote.

2) Doing the job and then having a new manager brought in over you will be cause anyone examining your work record to conclude that you were not up to the job. In consequence you were demoted for cause .

3) The manager is actually expecting you to show Loyalty and Commitment to them. Whilst being grossly disloyal to you as their employee.

Ok, advice. Approach your Manager. Ask him for the reasons why, despite you being expected to do the job "temporarily", you are not being considered for or being allowed to apply for the position. Do it in writing. Keep a copy.

and
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

What he does is entirly down to him. Personally I would not. For the reasons I have given.

By all means do the job for the experience but be aware that:
1) You can never go back to being one of the boys.
2) You will always be the spare, not the heir.

in my experience, Leigh "nailed it!"

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 03/16/10 01:26 AM

Are you getting a temporary raise as well? Just curious.
Posted by: SARbound

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 05/02/10 04:21 PM

Hello everyone,

It has been more than a month now, just wanted to step in and give you some feedback.

First off, Nicodemus, I did get a 5 % temporary raise, better than nothing, but the truth is I was not going to do it for the pay raise, but for the experience I would gain.

Things are going pretty smoothly! I kept going for lunch with people as I used to do and I did not notice any changes at all.

I know that management are looking to fill in my position, but I knew that from the beginning anyways. I am getting positive feedback from my manager, co-workers seem content... Sounds like I am off for a very good start.

At first, I was a bit surprised that my manager didn't have/make time to meet me more regularly to talk about projects and different issues, however I chose not to take it too personal since I now realize he IS very busy and has his share of things to deal with.

I get along with my co-managers as well, this doesn't come as a
surprise, but still, i'm happy about that.

As for the "people management" aspect of the position, I can't say i'm too crazy about it since we have our share of slackers and poor performing people, which irritates the better, more competent employees. I'm taking it one step at a time, and I have full support from my manager to discuss about these more sensitive aspects that are more difficult to take care of.

To sum it up, I think it's going to be a very positive experience overall, and nice to add to my resume.

Oh, and THANK YOU to every one of you that took some of your time to reply to my original post, I printed the thread out and read everyone of you very carefully. I sincerely appreciate it!

SARBound

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 05/03/10 05:09 AM

It seems to be going fairly well thus far with the exceptions of the slackers, which every company seems to have.

Congratulations so far!
Posted by: TheSock

Re: Replacing my boss who announced he was leaving - 05/03/10 07:37 AM

>As for the "people management" aspect of the position, I can't say >i'm too crazy about it since we have our share of slackers and >poor performing people, which irritates the better, more competent >employees. I'm taking it one step at a time, and I have full >support from my manager to discuss about these more sensitive >aspects that are more difficult to take care of.

We are in the depths of recession. There are plenty of people willing to work hard to replace slackers. They deserve no sympathy. They are cheating you and their colleagues by not pulling their weight. And also making you look bad by your failure to deal with them.Start giving out warnings.
Poor performance is another matter - speak to them and see what can be done. Some people won't ask for help.
And Well Done!
The Sock