I need a word...

Posted by: Susan

I need a word... - 03/10/10 10:34 PM

Back in the older days, when most people grew at least some of their food, if not all, they would notice that when certain plants or trees flowered or leafed out, etc, it was safe to plant certain vegetables.

For example: it's warm enough to plant corn when the leaves of the oak trees are as large as a squirrel's ear. Or, it's safe to plant peas once the crocus start blooming.

There must be a word for this, but I have never heard what it was, or didn't realize that's what it meant.

Thanks for any help!

Sue
Posted by: T_Co

Re: I need a word... - 03/10/10 10:41 PM

idiom
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: I need a word... - 03/10/10 11:16 PM

Idiom doesn't quite capture it, as the statements mean what the words mean. (English is a language of inscrutable idiom loosely held together by a few indifferently applied rules. Kinda like democracy.)

Aphorism or maxim? Seems more like it. But it doesn't catch the local wisdom quotient.

Hmm, now you've got me puzzled too.

Posted by: hikermor

Re: I need a word... - 03/10/10 11:18 PM

Pick one of these:

1)contingent modalities

2) rule of thumb

Re: I need a word... - 03/10/10 11:28 PM

No, I mean specifically for the timing of the planting. If you were going to write a book on sowing seeds by these signs, what you call the connection?

For instance, the word for exposing seeds to cold temperatures to trigger their germination mechanism is 'vernalization' or 'cold stratification'.

Sue
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: I need a word... - 03/10/10 11:28 PM

Sue,

These may help to stimulate other word associations. Portions of these would seem to apply at least remotely to what your asking / looking for.

Rule of Thumb

Folk Sayings

Mnemonic

Regards,
Comanche7
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: I need a word... - 03/10/10 11:33 PM

Remember the old adage ...

(e.g.) If the corn is as high as an elephant's eye, run for your life! you have elephants in your corn! and you can't even see the lions! or the midgets!

(Okay, I'll stop now.)

Contingent modalities is a beauty though. Works well with plausible deniability. Great weasel words for a news conference when the incriminating photos have hit the Web.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 12:13 AM

Oh, that's easy - contingent agrarian modalities

See,I did stay awake in some of my classes.....
Posted by: scafool

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 12:53 AM

I think I know what you are getting at Sue.
I read a very old farming manual once that used a system like that. It was more concerned with how long you could sit your bare bum on the ground and be comfortable than on the calendar date.
They also mentioned not planting before some of the trees were in leaf or some of the flowers out.
They were quite specific about the flowers.

I have seen similar ideas expressed in some mushroom manuals, but I have no word that fits.

"Planting by the signs" has been taken already by the Astrologists for planting by the moon and by the zodiac.
------

OK, A Phenological planting guide?

Phenology comes close but I think it might not be catchy enough.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenology

Maybe we can put some makeup on it and tart it up a bit.
Phenochrony
Phenosynchronic
Phenosynchratic
Phenosynchristic
Phenochroidal
Phenomodal

I give up.

Good luck Sue. I know it can be really hard to coin a new word.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 01:14 AM

Ummm... agriculture?

Anecdotal evidence?
Posted by: Blast

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Remember the old adage ...

(e.g.) If the corn is as high as an elephant's eye, run for your life! you have elephants in your corn! and you can't even see the lions! or the midgets!

(Okay, I'll stop now.)

Contingent modalities is a beauty though. Works well with plausible deniability. Great weasel words for a news conference when the incriminating photos have hit the Web.

Even sober, I'm laughing at that! May have to work it into my next plant class somehow...

-Blast
Posted by: barbakane

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 02:57 AM

It's called good ole country wisdom.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 04:23 AM

ante-current generational cosmi-agrarian event-synchrononized vectored seed planting wisdom literature...I think crazy
Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 12:31 PM

Phenology is the practice of observing the cyclical changes in nature.

Here is a related link you might be interested in :http://www.ghorganics.com/Phenology.html
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 02:00 PM

How about agrocompatibility or biocompatibility

Pete
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 02:19 PM

It sounds like you're looking for a phrase that's the equivalent of "Old Wives' Tale", but I have no idea what it would be, either.

So how about something like "Nature's Calendar", or "the Natural Calendar"?

Or coin something new, like "Eco-planting"?

Posted by: benjammin

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 02:20 PM

Old farmer jargon (almanac) would probably call that the "telltale" sowing signs.

Comically, the rule of (green) thumb, to be specific to your request.

Beyond that, it becomes too esoteric.

Re: I need a word... - 03/11/10 10:11 PM

Okay, 'phenology' seems to be the word, a new one to me. When I first saw it in Scafool's post, I thought he meant phrenology (which seemed awfully unlikely) and had to look at it more carefully.

I knew you could come up with some useful words. (Still looking some of them up... "ante-current generational cosmi-agrarian event-synchrononized vectored seed planting wisdom literature"... that one is going to take me few minutes!

Okay, thanks All!

Sue
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: I need a word... - 03/12/10 02:29 PM

planting by the signs

see Foxfire books.
Posted by: clarktx

Re: I need a word... - 03/12/10 06:05 PM

Allelopathy is very similar to what you are talking about, maybe you can start with that word and work outward. As in "allelpathy, not to be confused with (the word you need), is when plants actively determine the germination of other plants".

What you are referring to is a sort of human-based allelopathy.
Posted by: dweste

Re: I need a word... - 03/12/10 11:19 PM

Telltale or indicator?
Posted by: Desperado

Re: I need a word... - 03/13/10 04:55 AM

We always used the fancy words growing up on the farm in small town Oklahoma.

You know, like....

Spring?
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: I need a word... - 03/13/10 11:31 AM

i believe the term you're looking for is "common sense."
if A is blooming, then it's warm enough to plant B and not kill the sprout.

Re: I need a word... - 03/13/10 07:21 PM

I looked up the phenology word and got a plethora of information.

Thanks, All!

Sue
Posted by: scafool

Re: I need a word... - 03/14/10 05:15 AM

You got a plethora, "SWEET!"