Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!!

Posted by: Byrd_Huntr

Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 11:50 AM

It was a chilly and drizzly evening in the north woods...the kind of drizzle that was not quite rain, not quite fog. The sun goes down early in October and I was returning to my solo camp a little later than I had planned. I had spent the afternoon in a remote gravel pit shooting 12 ga slugs, about 50 of them, practicing shots at different ranges and elevations. I had planned to buy dinner and some firewood at a little place I had been to many times before on the remote Mooseline Trail. With anticipation of a warm place and a hot meal, I crested the ridge in my truck. Almost there, I could see the old sign on a long pole. I felt like I was starving, and a hot roast beef sandwich and a beer was now in my sights. As I got closer in the dim light I sensed something wrong; the sign was there but where was the building? It took my mind a minute to comprehend what I was seeing; my little refuge in the woods had burned to the ground. There was nothing else around and now feeling cold and hungry, I needed to return to my soggy camp and make a fire. I would need more firewood than I had in camp. I had a saw and a large camp hatchet in my truck, and I took the hatchet into the dripping wet woods. I found that the repeated impact on my shoulder from 50 rounds of high-brass slugs had rendered my right arm almost useless. In the rain I couldn't hold and swing the hatchet safely. I went back to my truck and got my small Swede saw. It saved the day, and soon I had a stack of firewood and a nice little fire going. Without that saw, it would have been a cold and wet evening in camp. Lesson learned, plenty of firewood under a tarp in my camp now, and a shiny new small backup swede saw in my gear......Hotdogs in the rain never tasted so good.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 01:23 PM

I was once salvaging old mesquite fence posts for firewood, and the mesquite would dull our chain saw to the point where a resharpened chain was needed about every third log. I figured I was going to have a tough job cutting the logs to fireplace length with my swede saw...

No problem. The saw went through the mesquite like a hot knife through butter. I do keep a small one in my vehicle all the time.
Posted by: GauchoViejo

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 01:37 PM

Excuse my ignorance. What is a Swede saw? Is it a folding saw like the Bahco Laplander or something different?
Posted by: MostlyHarmless

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 01:47 PM

It is also called a bow saw. Folding or not folding would depend on how the handle is constructed, but the blade can easily be removed for safer storage and handling (provided you've got a tube or something to stuff the blade into).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_saw

I've seen variants of these where the handle and blade would fold into a single lightweight tube - but of course with some minor reduction in size and robustness.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 02:16 PM

I have one of these and LOVE it. It's light, sharp, packs small, and carries extra blades inside the handle.
What-A-Saw
-Blast
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 02:32 PM

nice,but the frame restricts the depth of the cut.this is also a big issue on the canoeing site..frame saw V.S.folding limbing saw.
Posted by: Hanscom

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/02/10 11:12 PM

I heard a secondhand reference once to a Canada Ministry of Transport study where they interviewed pilots who had survived aircraft forced landings. The interviews went through what equipment did they have with them, what did they use, what did they NOT use, what did they need (water was on the top of that list).

One thing they noted was that you should pick tools that can be deployed and used with your non-dominant hand, since that hand is frequently damaged or broken in an accident.

That suggests that a saw would be better than an axe or machete both for cutting and for safety. I fear that the limbs I would cut off using an axe lefthanded would probably be my own.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: GauchoViejo
Excuse my ignorance. What is a Swede saw? Is it a folding saw like the Bahco Laplander or something different?

As someone mentioned above, this saw has different names, Bow saw, buck saw, as well as Swede saw. The old ones had a wood frame, the new ones have a lightweight steel frame. You can see one here: http://www.toolnewz.com/HandTool_Basics/Handsaw.html
Posted by: Mac

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
...I found that the repeated impact on my shoulder from 50 rounds of high-brass slugs had rendered my right arm almost useless....

In addition to a saw, you might want to purchace a membership to your local gym! grin grin grin

Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 03:14 AM

Way back, at least where I was, most people called them a 'Sven Saw'. There was a larger bow version that was quite capable and a small and lighter folding triangular looking unit that was popular with campers and trail clearing crews. Folded you had a single aluminum bar with all the pieces or the frame and the blade stored inside.

Good product. Haven't seen one in a few years.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 03:18 AM

Sven saws are sold by REI in 21" and 15" versions. I have carried one in the car, and occasionally, in the pack, for years.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 03:22 AM

REI has the Sven saw in 21" and 15" versions. I have carried one in my car, and occasionally in my pack, for years.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 03:38 AM

got both sizes of the Sven saw.the smaller one always go's on canoe trips and is great for clearing smaller dead fall on the portages,the heavy stuff you go under or around after cutting off the stubs.the big one go's on car camps and i use that for cutting up the scrap lumber that's sold for camp fires.you can rip thru a 2x4 in no time.looking around at other camp sites i would say your not allowed to live in Minnesota without a Sven.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 06:34 AM

I have an 18" and a 24" version of the Trail Blazer buck saw.
They pack as a single aluminum tube with everything inside, Very nice. They assemble into an effective saw very quickly.
The only problem I have had is they have a spring that acts as a pin to hold them together when packed and people seem to lose them.

I like the saws with the bow frame too but they are a bit more awkward to stow.
I used to just take the blade and a couple of nails with me sometimes.
If you have the blade you can make a frame for it.

I think the best blades you can get today are Sandvik.
I have had blades by other brands that were bad. A few years ago some blades I got from Stanley Tools were supposed to be hard point, but they were soft like butter.

I found the triangular framed saws were not quite as good as the bow saws or the square frame buck saws because the frame limited the cut.

In a lot of the hardware stores you can find small 12" bow saws now.
They come with a swede saw blade and a hacksaw blade.
Very very handy.
You get a fast and aggressive wood saw and a very determined hacksaw all in one small package.
Again, I recommend the Sandvik brand for these little bow saws. The quality is high enough to be worth paying a little bit more.
Some of the imitations have poor steel in the blades and in the frames.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 08:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
I have one of these and LOVE it. It's light, sharp, packs small, and carries extra blades inside the handle.
What-A-Saw
-Blast

I'm a bit uncertain if I like this patent or not. It sure works GREAT for small diameter stuff, but moving up to say 4" the triangular handle will hit the log when you're halfway through. This limits the length of the cut: You cannot use long strokes anymore, just short strokes with the middle part of the blade.

Of course, if you just think a little and look around you can usually manage just fine without cutting 4" logs and above...

Here is a foldable 12" Swede saw version that has a square handle shape:
Frisport saw review (in Norwegian)
Google translate of the review
Some words that weren't translated:
Sag = saw.
Jegersag = (hunter's saw), here it means triangular saws like What-a-saw.
Tømmersag = timber saw (i.e. the real, big swede saw)
Puslete = Tiny, small.
Fiklete = Finicky

This patent works much better for thick logs than the triangular what-a-saw lookalikes. Robust and solid, but assembling the saw is a bit more finicky. Done in a minute, but with small parts that are easily lost. But it's lightweight and packs into a tube, yet still robust enough for proper sawing. The ideal size for this saw is birch about 2-4" in diameter (5-10 cm).

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 10:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Way back, at least where I was, most people called them a 'Sven Saw'. There was a larger bow version that was quite capable and a small and lighter folding triangular looking unit that was popular with campers and trail clearing crews. Folded you had a single aluminum bar with all the pieces or the frame and the blade stored inside.

Good product. Haven't seen one in a few years.

Still available: www.svensaw.com/

I carry a retractable saw in my pack, but in my truck I prefer the 21" non-folding tubular frame with the triangular shape. When I pack for the woods, I carry a larger bow saw as well.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool

I like the saws with the bow frame too but they are a bit more awkward to stow.
I used to just take the blade and a couple of nails with me sometimes.
If you have the blade you can make a frame for it.

You hit on something here that I was thinking about. I used to use a wooden bucksaw with my dad and brothers when I was a kid. We cleared a lot of oak off the family homestead and cut it into firewood. Although the bucksaws and two-man crosscut saws we used then are gone now, I did find a similar old wooden bucksaw at a flea market. I hang it on the wall in my garage. Although I have never done it myself, I know of old woodsmen who carry one of these, broken down and bundled with stiff wire. Out in the woods, they can make any wooden part that gets broken as long as the blade and pins are intact. I wonder if it wouldn't be smart to cache a few of these blades?
Posted by: Blast

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/03/10 11:13 PM

Quote:

I'm a bit uncertain if I like this patent or not. It sure works GREAT for small diameter stuff, but moving up to say 4" the triangular handle will hit the log when you're halfway through. This limits the length of the cut: You cannot use long strokes anymore, just short strokes with the middle part of the blade.

I used it to clear some land a few weeks ago including stuff over 10" in diameter. I just had to change the angle of attack occasionally. It went through willows and Chinese tallow trees like butter.

-Blast
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/04/10 03:11 AM

This summer, I helped a friend take down three half-dead birch trees in his yard. He had a cordless reciprocating saw and I had a 21" swede saw with a sharp Sandvik blade. I easily outcut him 3-to-1; he finally gave up and worked the tagline to guide the falling chunks. Even at the top of a tall ladder, I could hug the trunk with one arm and lop off big branches with the other.

Being a cheapskate, I have tried some of the discount blades and have generally been disappointed. It's not about sharpness, it's about the inadequate "set" of the teeth, meaning that the blade binds all the time -- it will drive you nuts. I put one of these in a vise and crudely increased the set with large pliers (note: wear serious eye and face protection). It worked somewhat better, but it's more efficient to buy good stuff right off the bat.

Note that you can resharpen a Sandvik blade with a triangular file. Not as good as new, but they still cut surprisingly well. The added service life makes it easier to cough up the dough for a good blade.

Posted by: turbo

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/04/10 03:43 AM

You might look at the following portable buck saw:

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=44171&cat=2,42706,40721

I have had both sizes for many years. The smaller one is in my bug out bag and the larger one is in my truck. There is no springs to loose. You can also get a bone saw blade for butching. With a little finesse, you can store two blades inside when collasped. You can cut much larger diameter logs than a sven saw. Search the web for other venders for the bone blade.

My wife thinks I have every saw know to man. I do have my own wood lot, have my own band saw mill, many chain saws, inaddition to many old logging hand saws. They are all very usefull. However, I don't want to carry anyone of them, their fuel, or their maintenance supplies.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/04/10 07:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:

I used it to clear some land a few weeks ago including stuff over 10" in diameter. I just had to change the angle of attack occasionally. It went through willows and Chinese tallow trees like butter.

-Blast

Then I guess your saw is bigger than the triangular saws I've tried. A 10" log would be close to impossible with the ones I've tried because the triangular handle would bump into the log, making long efficient strokes impossible. Any cut deeper than 3-4" quickly became a frustrated exercise.

I still like the triangular patent because it's simple, very strong and packs small. And frankly, with a little forethought you don't _*have to*_ do big saw work unless you're clearing land or something. Being able to do smaller diameter stuff is plenty good enough for camping or survival. So a small, triangular saw is still a good choice for most applications.

The buck saw shown above (quite similar to the "frisport" saw I linked to) has an advantage because the only limitation to saw depth is the distance from the main (lower) horizontal beam to the saw teeth. Down to this depth you can do full length, efficient strokes. This comes at the cost of a more complex construction which either is weaker or heavier (or both!) than the triangular ones. But it doesn't have to be super strong to work: It just has to be strong enough to keep the blade under sufficient tension. So I still prefer the collapsible buck saw construction to the triangular versions.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Mac
...I found that the repeated impact on my shoulder from 50 rounds of high-brass slugs had rendered my right arm almost useless....

In addition to a saw, you might want to purchace a membership to your local gym! grin grin grin

Thanks for the great idea. I checked, they don't have a shotgun range.
Posted by: Mac

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 12:44 AM

Thanks for the great idea. I checked, they don't have a shotgun range.

You actually checked your local gym for a shotgun range?

Saws are great little bits of gear when an axe can't be used. I usually take a gerber folding saw while hunting. The advantage is being able to cut a limb above your head whilst holding it with the other hand. Never tried a swede saw yet, but I am sure they just as good.
Posted by: fooman

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 02:23 AM

The Gerber folding saw saved my butt before when I had to saw a portion out of a fallen tree to use as a bridge for the truck.
Just ordered a Sven Saw. smile

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 08:29 AM

Never tried a swede saw yet, but I am sure they just as good.

The bow saw / swede saw / buck saw or whatever you call it works on the principle that the blade is allways PULLED through the material. Pushing a saw blade you risk that the blade folds and breaks - all it takes is that the blade gets stuck just a tiny bit and you start bending. Pulling a saw blade is much better. Try pushing a rope, you'll see pretty quickly why pulling is a much more mechanical robust way of doing things.

A saw blade made without an external frame (such as the gerber folding saw) must be very rigid and stiff to prevent it from bending when you push it forward. A saw blade made for a frame (buck/swede/bow whatever you call it) can be very thin and still plenty strong enough for the task.

The drawback is that the external frame may get in the way. There are certain tight spots you can't move the frame into, and can't work a good stroke. In those tight spots only a thin, rigid saw blade (your Gerber friend) will work. Also, the thickness of the material you cut is limited not only by the blade length but also by the shape and size of the bow. Also, the bow is somewhat more complicated to pack and assemble than your Gerber saw.

The plus side is that the thin blade offers less resistance than a thick blade. Also, the blade can be made much longer than their frame-less friends. And since you don't have to worry about the blade folding you can work with really long, powerful strokes.

A big swede saw is a true joy to work with - and in my opinion, the most efficient manual saw there is. A carpenters saw will give you more precise cuts. A small folding saw (Gerber) will be better in tight corners. But no other saw will give you more firewood per calorie or time. (Of course, that's assuming you get a good blade with big teeth of the right shape).

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 01:07 PM

When weight is critical, the small triangular Sven saw is pretty versatile. It can hook into cramped situations, and is so efficient that even though its stroke is short, it can still cut. I often carried one for SAR.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

The bow saw / swede saw / buck saw or whatever you call it works on the principle that the blade is allways PULLED through the material.

Maybe that applies to very large swede/bow saws where there is more chance of breaking the blade. Especially if cutting with two people.

But the blades on swede/bow saws have teeth that cut on both the push and pull strokes.

With my shorter ones (24" or less) I usually get best results by putting more power into the push stroke. I've worn out many blades from use but I've never broken a blade. YMMV.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

The bow saw / swede saw / buck saw or whatever you call it works on the principle that the blade is allways PULLED through the material.

Maybe that applies to very large swede/bow saws where there is more chance of breaking the blade. Especially if cutting with two people.

But the blades on swede/bow saws have teeth that cut on both the push and pull strokes.

You misunderstand. I mean the blade is pulled by the frame on both the push and pull stroke. On a regular carpenters saw or folding saw the push stroke will push the blade. Larger risk of folding and breaking than with a swede saw.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 08:25 PM

Oh, okay, I get you now. Sounds right to me.

BTW, I have a couple of carpenter's saws that illustrate your point perfectly. Nice and sharp, but too thin to handle the force of a forward cut. Now they have a lovely "Z-shape" configuration. I keep them to remind me that a great price is not always a good deal. Maybe I'll give them to someone I want to annoy ...

[Apologies if this came up as a duplicate post. Either my PC or the server seems to have eaten my first try.]
Posted by: Teslinhiker

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 10:08 PM

Where I live, this is what we call a swede saw. Don't see many of these nowadays and they command a good price when available.

This saw is a smaller one and there are some that were easily double the length and width. I remember when I was a strapping and strong teenager and having to pull on one of these saws. It was extremely difficult to maintain a good rhythm and did not take long for the arms and shoulders to start aching...

These saws required a lot of cooperation with your partner and history books have stories of friends and spouses arguing that the other was not doing their fair share of the work. Many times, the arguments were long suffering and vehement enough that they eventually led to enough bitterness to permanently end the relationship.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/05/10 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Where I live, this is what we call a swede saw. Don't see many of these nowadays and they command a good price when available.

This saw is a smaller one and there are some that were easily double the length and width. I remember when I was a strapping and strong teenager and having to pull on one of these saws. It was extremely difficult to maintain a good rhythm and did not take long for the arms and shoulders to start aching...

These saws required a lot of cooperation with your partner and history books have stories of friends and spouses arguing that the other was not doing their fair share of the work. Many times, the arguments were long suffering and vehement enough that they eventually led to enough bitterness to permanently end the relationship.

We called those a two man crosscut saw. I remember them well. If you got impatient with your partner (in my case, my brother), you ended up pushing the saw to get them to speed up, and the saw would bind.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/06/10 05:03 AM

What I grew up calling a Swede Saw were all variations of this steel bow saw.

If it had a square frame, usually wooden, we called it a bucksaw
www.bensbackwoods.com

Swede saws we sometimes used for felling as well as for bucking up our wood, the buck saw was not normally used for felling.

The advantage on both of them is the thin ribbon blade does not bind in the cut very much.
By the time your cut is deep enough to close the pinch point is at the top of the cut.
The back of the saw blade is usually deeper in the cut than the pinch point, so you don't need to wedge the cut open or to cut from the bottom.

I should have mentioned taking a piece of old garden hose or something and splitting it to use as an edge guard. These blades are usually very sharp when new and will slice the hell out of your gear if you are not careful.

You should also release the tension on a bow frame if you are storing it.
However, if the bow frame gets bent and does not put enough tension on the blade then the blade can be taken off, the frame bent open a bit to increase the tension, and the blade put back on.

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/06/10 05:30 AM

Hey, that's a classic. I've heard it called a swede saw, but more often a whipsaw.

I have one of those on the wall of my shop/barn. It's twice as deep, nearly five feet long, and the handles are missing. Some dunce threw it on the recycling pile at the local landfill, and I quickly redirected/repurposed it (slid it into the bed of my truck) in the interests of history and art.

I stand in great awe of the men who spent their days working these saws. They must have been muscled like boxers. Not the sort to trifle with while they were on a spree after a long winter in the bush ...

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 03/06/10 03:42 PM

that whipsaw must still be seen as the best two person saw around.
the photo is the load a couple of Rangers i met in the wilderness park in Northern Minnesota had.i was so impressed by the pile of gear and the neat way they had it packed in the canoe that i took a photo.they were clearing dead fall from the portages and because this is a "no motors" wilderness they were using hand tools.the saw is on top next to the shovel.

Posted by: JohnN

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/08/10 05:03 PM

I'm curious -- are any of these small, light folding saws able to accept hack-saw blades?

Thanks,

-john

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/08/10 06:01 PM

Yes, absolutely. I have several of the 12" jobs. They often come with both.

My local discount house (Princess Auto) has a deal for a made in China 12" swede saw type frame, with the all-important knuckle guard, that comes with both wood and hacksaw blades. $2.22 CAD.

The supplied blades are what you'd expect (lousy, because the set for the wood blade doesn't give a wide enough kerf, so they bind) but there's nothing wrong with the frame.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/08/10 07:57 PM

In Minneapolis,That's probably How Lake Street 1st became,What it is Today!

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/08/10 09:14 PM

Rich_, I really don't have a clue as to what you mean. Kindly add subtitles and/or context.

Cheers,
-Doug
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/09/10 08:20 AM

I keep a 15" Sven Saw 9triangular frame) in my Jeep at all times. Just about a month ago I used it to saw a 10" diameter log into campfire-size lengths. It took me less than ten minutes per section. Yes, as you start getting into the center of thicker wood, stroke length does become a problem. However, just roll the log 180 degrees and cut from the other side, then roll 90 degrees and cut again, one more 180 degree turn and you can quickly finish the job.

But if it were a survival situation and I couldn't roll a log due to injury, I'd still be happy enough cutting through 4" or 6" logs.
Posted by: Mark_M

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/09/10 08:26 AM

Saws are great little bits of gear when an axe can't be used.

Au Contraire! I find a Sven Saw is faster and requires less effort than an axe, though I'll be the first to admit that my aim with an axe leaves something to be desired. Of course it's hard to split wood with a saw.
Posted by: LED

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/09/10 09:00 PM

Another vote for the Sven saw. I used my 15" on a recent trip to Sequoia and, being late in the season, the only wood left were 6-10" logs. It took some work on the larger pieces but the Sven cut like a champion. Seriously, this little saw is a workhorse.
Posted by: Richlacal

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/10/10 02:24 AM

Sorry Doug! Your 1st post on this one,Not the sort to trifle with when out on a Spree,After a Long stint in the Bush!Minneapolis is One heck of a Beautiful city,as is it's Twin St.Paul,However just like any other great city,Probably anywhere in the World,It has a Rough/adventerous part,that said,Since there isn't an Ocean right there,It's lacking in Sailors,However,Lumberjacks Trump Sailors in this neck of the woods or at least they did,Back in the day!
Posted by: JerryFountain

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/10/10 04:20 PM

The swede saw, in all it's forms is a great tool, for everyday work, camping and survival. Although I would never want to be without an axe, the saw runs a close second. I carry a Trail Blazer type saw when expecting to use wood fires.

Terms as commonly used in the logging industry in my experience (local terms may vary):

Swede Saw - A usually bow shaped steel frame with a tensioned blade (see the picture from Scafool on P 4). First imported from Sweden in the early 1900's. Usually set up for one man to cut more quickly since the blade is in tension (pulled) in both directions.

Bow Saw - Any saw with a bow shaped frame.

Buck Saw - A saw where the blade is tensioned by a screw or cord (again see the picture by Scafool). Designed for Bucking wood - crosscutting down timber to appropiate length for expected use (often on a crossbuck, a stand to hold the wood).

Two man saw - Any saw used by two men, could be a Swede saw, a crosscut saw or a whip saw (or one of several other types).

Two man crosscut - A large saw (often from 4 feet to 8 feet long) that is used in felling trees and cutting them to length (cutting across the grain of the wood).

Two man rip saw (a Whip saw) - A large saw, usually similar in shape to a crosscut, used for making planks out of trees. Often a wider blade (to keep the cut straight for long distances), the teeth are different to improve cutting speed when cutting with the grain. Different teeth may be used for green and dry wood.

The best,

JerryF

Re: Let's hear it for the Swede saw!!! - 10/10/10 11:40 PM

The sad thing is, I've been looking for a small Sandvik bow saw. They used to be everywhere, especially on Chrismas tree farms, scouting functions, and apple orchards. Alas, it looks like Sandvik of Sweden fell prey to globalization. The name was bought by Bahco, and the saws they offer now are of obscure origin.