The Black Pearl

Posted by: aloha

The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 08:20 AM

is in Hawaii to shoot Pirates of the Caribbean 4.

Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 11:35 AM

Royal Navy!
Surrender or be sunk.....

grin
Posted by: JBMat

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 12:33 PM

Arrrh me hearties.

The first one was the best one.

"You cheated" "Pirate!"
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 12:45 PM

How did BP get to Hawaii? I suspect she was not sailed there....
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 12:56 PM

Thats wicked cool! I have a question though (like hikermor's); is it an actual wooden ship, is is a shell on a more modern ship, or is it simply a mockup-not really seaworthy? Always wondered that...
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 02:32 PM

I may be wrong, but I don't think the masts are anywhere near tall enough for it to actually sail.

Doesn't rule out the possibility of a powered ship, though.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 03:28 PM

From the photo, it appears the topmasts have been taken down, something the Concordia, in retrospect, would have been wise to do...
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 04:09 PM

The rest of the sails and masts will probably be added to The Black Pearl digitally in post production.

That's just a guess based on the pictures of the Black Pearl that pop up on the web from time to time.
Posted by: Susan

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 05:30 PM

"The filmmakers scrapped the original ship, which wasn't really a ship at all. It was a set built from the hull up on top of a barge, which was towed into position for filming. ... the producers felt it was in their best interest to build The Black Pearl as a seaworthy vessel.

"... To speed its construction, Heinrichs built the Black Pearl around an existing 109-foot-long ship named Sunset; which was docked in Bayou La Batre, Alabama. "The result ... was that from the waterline up you had this beautiful pirate ship. The Sunset is still in there somewhere, with engines, fuel and water tanks, a galley and bunks."

The 'real' Black Pearl

Sue
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 05:34 PM

Susan, thank you for that info!
Posted by: JohnE

Re: The Black Pearl - 02/23/10 05:50 PM

Disney used to store at least a portion of the tall masts and rigging on the studio lot in Burbank. It was always fun seeing people drive by and do a double take when they spotted what looked like a complete pirate ship just on the other side of the "wall of privacy".

I have some friends who worked on the original Pirates film, the engineering that went into making the "Black Pearl" heave and founder like a real ship in a storm was very impressive stuff. And very expensive.

JohnE