Bring on the snow!

Posted by: Todd W

Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 07:39 PM

Couldn't pass these up.
50% off new, couple hundred cheaper than anyplace I've ever found them used, and they were only floor models, and still have the nipples on them! Brand new for 50% off, I`m stoked.

I am now ready for the deep stuff laugh

Only problem now is my plow adapter is too short and will hit my tracks so I`m gonna have to extend that. Normally not an issue but my shop is not finished, and my welder has no power. I may be extending it with 2 bolts on each arm, and a sleeve of tube temporarily!

I`m ready for snow rescue missions now laugh
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 08:26 PM

Sweet.

What are you putting them on?

What do they do to gas mileage and is there any kind of warning on keeping the mileage down to keep wear on a system that wasn't built for them originally?

I'd love to have a set myself, but the snow in this area doesn't really warrant them. Guess I'll have to move further North! lol
Posted by: scafool

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 08:57 PM

So are those ATV snow tracks?
I though I was looking at Snowcat parts.

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 09:31 PM

Oops, I assumed they were going on a truck because he was talking about having to refit a plow.

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 10:07 PM

They are for my Sportsman 800 ATV.

It does reduce the distance you can go on a tank of fuel. No warning as far as keeping usage down but speed is cut down too.

Oddly there is a warning about using them voiding warranty, and using them on dirt avoiding warranty yet they are made for dirt, and the manufacture is the same as who made the ATV... kind of odd.

We are getting rain right now, and it's supposed to be here until next Sunday. The national weather service is calling for rain rain rain frown Oddly AccuWeather shows snow Tues-Thursday and I thought they got their data from NWS so I`m not too sure whats going on.

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 10:19 PM

And now it's 40*F and snowing HUGE flakes.
Mixed with rain, it's coming down HARD right now.

Def. going to get snow tonight.
Going to have to mount these bad boys up.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 11:28 PM

Outstanding. You will soon be unstoppable.

Did I mention that it was warm enough, and windless enough, Wednesday to strip down to boots and shorts, stretch out, and get some sun for a good twenty minutes. I could feel the ice in my bones melting. First time I've been warm in a month.

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/17/10 11:40 PM

NICE! I've enjoyed that the last few days in the *gasp* 60s.
It's now in the 30s, and dropping. Going to work on getting them on for this week now : )

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 12:36 AM

1 Track installed.

Sure would be nice if my garage/shop was done... I`m working by portable shop light, on the ground, which happens to be where some 2x4s, and 4x4s are between the quad tires too, haha.

Can't wait to get my shop finished and have a lil ATV lift !

Should be able to finish up the other rear tonight, maybe the fronts if I can see good enough.
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 03:44 AM

Great stuff! Looking forward to test reports.

You realize, of course, that this will allow you to get much deeper into trouble. Pack your winter kit!

I have a pic somewhere of a Model T Ford with tracks installed on the rear and skis on front. I have a vague recollection that these were conversion kits you could buy in the day. Wonder if I can get something like that for my Mazda?

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 04:44 AM

Doug that is what my wife said too. She said you know, now you will be the only one who can go far (unless I ride with more with tracks) and I better be prepared.

I`m ordering up a 50' extension for my winch, and getting another snatch block, and a new 10' tree saver. That will be added to my 20' strap that I use already with shackles too. I should be able to at least get back on flat ground, or right-sided, and continue.

I`ll report in, hopefully with awesome pictures laugh
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 09:22 AM

http://ohtm.org/blg/collections/automobiles/1926-ford-snowmobile/

Another Model T conversion...
Posted by: MichaelC

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 03:05 PM

I saw this video the other day of something called the Armstead Snow Motor. It's an interesting idea:

http://www.flixxy.com/snow-vehicle-concept.htm
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 04:40 PM

@ UncleGoo:
Yes, that's exactly the same thing I saw at an antique show. I have lots of close-up photos (somewhere in the archives).

@ MichaelC:
Very interesting! I've never seen anything like it. Thanks for the link! I wonder if it could be made amphibious as well?

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 04:56 PM

UncleGoo, That Model T conversion is awesome!

MichaelC, the Russians tried to use that same idea in an armored vehicle called the ZIL. YouTube Video of the ZIL
Posted by: scafool

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 05:45 PM

I think the warranty problem might be related to how much harder they are to turn than tires are.
Trying to horse them around for steering when on dirt instead of snow likely puts a lot more stress on the steering gear.
You might find it is like driving a truck without power steering and you only turn the steering wheel while you are moving.

Re: Bring on the snow! - 01/18/10 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: scafool
I think the warranty problem might be related to how much harder they are to turn than tires are.
Trying to horse them around for steering when on dirt instead of snow likely puts a lot more stress on the steering gear.
You might find it is like driving a truck without power steering and you only turn the steering wheel while you are moving.

Pretty much.

2x4 = Very hard to turn.
4x4 = Not to bad, but way harder than tires.

Turning radius is much larger (duh lol).

They grip insane compared to tires, and NO slipping so point and go.

Hope to get snow this week and test on that, or maybe I`ll drive up to some wink