Holiday Loot!

Posted by: MDinana

Holiday Loot! - 12/25/09 11:50 PM

Time to brag about what the holidays brought. I got some undershirts, underwear, a Wii, and oh yeah, a fiance. laugh

She didn't get the binoculars that the box promised, but the ring inside hopefully made up for that.

What about everyone else?
Posted by: dweste

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/25/09 11:59 PM

Congrats re fiancee!

I got a 60-year old copy of Izaaak Walton's Complete Angler.
Posted by: CJK

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 01:03 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 01:15 AM

I got myself around 10 pair of smartwools on sale smile
The inlaws got us a lantern w/case and mantels we had been wanting.

Misc. Blu-Ray movies I had been holding off on getting, and other goodies. I think I`m going to get myself a new knife with my amazon gift cards soon. Not 100%, or tools!!

Congrats MDinana!
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 02:09 AM

MDiana,

Congratulations on being accepted to be a someone's future husband. Talk about THE never-ending survival situation!! crazy

Along with my daughter coming home from NYC (with her boyfriend in tow),I am the happy recipient of some new socks, a swinging magnetic decision-maker, a Ryobi 18V radio, a Ryobi right angle close quarter 18V drill, a WalMart-brand "Under Armour" shirt, some Hershey miniatures, some chocolate non-pariels (my favorite),and a Thermo-Lite Bivy 2.0.

Now, I have to figure how to use the tin the fruitcake-sized coffee cake my mother-in-law sent us into a pocket-sized survival tin. It may be a tough fit, but I will give it a whirl. confused
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 02:30 AM

Thanks everyone!

Looks like you folks cleaned up! I've been treating myself to some stuff recently, not nothing BOB-related this Xmas. Looks like I get the fun of making a new BOB soon! Not that out house-stuff doesn't include some concessions for her.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 02:30 AM

New monitor for my PC (19.5 LCD, much nicer than the 17" CRT it replaces), some other computer bits, and a copy of Old Man Wolverine.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 03:50 AM

Congratulations on the fiancee! Smart thinking, it'll be a lot easier to remember when you popped the question.

I had a good score:

Sidenote: the C.O Biglow shaving cream is the BEST EVER for those of you old school gents who apply the cream with a badger brush and shave with a real razor rather than some multi-bladed piece of plastic and hype.

-Blast
Posted by: fasteer

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 12:54 PM

Congratulations on popping the big question (and getting the desired responce!)

Santa brought me a TC EDC from Jarrett Knives:

Posted by: LoneWolf

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 01:10 PM

Congratulations MDinana !!

I scored an insanely bright (note to self ...DO NOT look at the LED while on .... blush) 3W, 3 D-Cell Maglight and an ETON FR300 weather radio.

LW

P.S. I'm a day late, but Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 01:21 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
... and oh yeah, a fiance. laugh

Congratulations!
Posted by: Lono

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
Originally Posted By: MDinana
... and oh yeah, a fiance. laugh

Congratulations!

Ditto MDinana, congratulations.

We bought ourselves a new furnace and a new mattress for Christmas this year, and love them both. Otherwise I had to help a brother and a sister through some harder times, and we took a healthy whack at buying for foster kids from the Giving Tree, though I wish we could have done more there. There's no end of foster kids, and all they want is one gift. Equipped? I have a loving wife, good above average kids, a warm home and warm bed. Last year's kit will do.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 07:16 PM

Congrats MDiana, nothing better than a wife.

Mike
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/26/09 09:20 PM

Congratulations MD!
Posted by: Andy

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/27/09 12:16 AM

Congratulations Sir!

Now, remember to write dowm where and when it happened, what she was wearing, etc. You'll find that information extremely valuable someday. You can't imagine how many kudos you earn when on some future anniversary of that momentus time in your life you tell her how lovely she looked in that blue dress.

Works for me still, and we're coming up on the 42nd anniversary of our first date.

All blessing to you and yours!

Andy
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/27/09 05:39 AM

Congrats, and I believe that wins as far as best loot goes, too.

Posted by: T_Co

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/27/09 06:44 AM

Congrats!

Got a Cabelas cast iron jerky slicer, few camping items, redhead socks and will be picking up either a excaliber dehydrator or hopefully something comparable but with more trays in the next week or 2 (pretty much after I decide)
Posted by: ratbert42

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/27/09 01:36 PM

Congrats!

Got the stainless steel Fenix LD01 flashlight. 80 lumens from a 1xAAA light. It's replacing the Arc AAA-P on my keychain and the Fenix LD10 (1xAA) that I carry a lot of times because the Arc isn't bright enough for some situations.

Still hoping Santa brings a few days of outdoor vacation time.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/27/09 01:39 PM

Congrats... Love the date, you'll never forget!

I've been married 3 years, got engaged a 9 months before that and to this day I can't tell you which day or month it was. Though I can tell you how I proposed!

Andy has some good advice, write down everything about the event. You'll never know when that info comes in handy!
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 01:16 AM

Congratulations MDinana, welcome to the team; "Were all in this together" (Red Green).

The other fellows are correct, I still score points with my wife and her friends/family when I casually refer to June 20th, 1984 at 10.30 pm as the "best moment in my life"; this was the moment we met.

Mike
Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 02:47 AM

My congratulations, MD_. It's a leap of faith, and worth the risk. (I'm coming up to 14 years together and can't really imagine a different path. She [who must be obeyed] knows me better than I know myself.)

Mill Brothers (they're right):
"I know a man who's lonely / and he's old at 33.
Who would want to be / old at 33?
Your disposition sours / like a lemon on a tree.
Don't let it happen to you / and don't let it happen to me!
Be my life's companion / and you'll never grow old ..."

Red Green (and me):
"Remember, I'm pulling for you ..."
Posted by: KenK

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 12:06 PM

MDinana,

I too am a huge believer in the buddy system for the sake of safety ...

Finding the love of your life is a pretty cool bonus too. :-)

Let's see, we're in our 17th year of marriage and we're still the best of friends and crazy about each other - even when I buy more Ritter knives.

The best piece of advice I got before I got married was from my father:

"Don't ask her to choose between you (the husband) and her family ... you might not like her choice."

Oh, and for Christmas I received a nice Garmin Nuvi 1300T automotive GPS. I've had a Garmin 60CSx for some time now, but my wife got tired of my holding it while I drive (I have a RAM mount but often don't bother putting it up).

Ken
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 12:22 PM

Congratulations MDiana !!!!!!!

I've been married 31 years and I thank God she is still having the "Mental Lapse" that made her say, "yes"!! Hopefully she will never wake up or get her eyesight corrected.

I added a German Army (Wehrmacht) Mess Kit to my GHB, along with another fruitcake (rations). I also added a Leatherman Wave to my EDC, replacing the original that I've been carrying around for 19 years.

Santa also was thoughtful to give my DD2 and future SiL, a German Army Messkit to supplement their BoB's capabilities.

BTW: Very thoughtful and unique way to make your proposal. You are truly a "Romantic Warrior" at heart!
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 02:35 PM

Congrats M!

I got a pair of Cold Steel swords as the highlight of my Christmas. A handful of gift certs, and some munchables.

I also got to sing with my daughters at church. We did a cover of Josh Groban's "Believe" from the Polar Express soundtrack. Kinda nice to have a band that is just talented enough to pull it off. It went well with the pastor's 4 week advent sermon, centered around the Polar Express story. That will make a fine Christmas memory.

I did go through a lot of money this time. I suspect this will be the last Christmas we spend like fiends for a while; at least until Grandkids start coming along. I figure Christmas cost me about $3,500 this year.

Posted by: dweste

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 03:21 PM

I am available for adoption and think I would make a nice grandkid.
Posted by: Tyber

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 03:51 PM

Congratulations on the Engagement!!

still should have gotten her the binoculars too, smile
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Holiday Loot! - 12/28/09 06:22 PM

No problem, just have to have you sign off where it says you will provide for my retirement in like kind (as in expending all available funds on demand)...I liken it to feeding trout in a hatchery. You take a handful of pellets, and you just toss them out over the water, and let the fish fight over who gets what. Repeat as necessary until the pockets are empty.

The girls consider my paycheck as available funds. I get an allowance, which sometimes becomes the empty set.