Midwest Storm-I hope your ready

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/24/09 01:30 AM

our turn has arrived.looks like it's going to be one of those long slow storms rather than a big heap all at once.no big rush at any of the stores today but lets see what happens by the weekend.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/24/09 03:50 AM

A good solid Christmas storm....Home and watchin the news.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/24/09 01:01 PM

What a strange storm. Around the Chicago area it was mostly sleet or freezing rain (tiny ice balls) with some snow mixed in. We basically holed up yesterday (12/23), and don't have travel plans for today (12/24) or tomorrow.

Right its mostly some crusty snow. It makes it interesting for the dogs to walk across the yard, but no other real problems. The news is saying it will get up toward 40F tonight!

Merry Christmas!!

Ken
Posted by: Mark_F

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/24/09 02:53 PM

Thankfully, we will just get some rain out of that one, no snow again until next week.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/24/09 08:12 PM

My plans? Be on the east coast! I keep missing storms - last week's big Nor'easter I was in California during. It ended the day before I flew out. Now the airport I flew through is delayed. I guess my travel plans are golden.
Posted by: sodak

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/24/09 08:22 PM

They told us here in CO 2-4 inches, we got about 14.

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/25/09 12:53 AM

very nice Xmas Eve here,walked the dogs around,lots of lights on houses with light snow.about six inches on the ground and no wind.with the temps in the 30's it was a "postcard" evening.
however--we will get another six tonite which means another afternoon up close and personal with the snow thrower..

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/26/09 04:38 AM

big change in weather that would be hard to survive in..the dry snow from the other day is now a foot of wet slush!it would be impossible to make a snow shelter.under the snow is several inches of water and everything is wet.about all you could do is try and pile up enough branches,pine would be best,to get off the ground and make a big fire in a sheltered spot.the wind is picking up.this is where foil bags and blankets and a very good fire kit would be a life saver..a PLB would be a real life saver..
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/26/09 02:27 PM

I have been watching the Minnesota weather from down here in SoCal. My brother lives (and thrives) just north of Bemidji. Hope you all are watching the games around a roaring fire, or maybe stepping out to your heated garage to put on snowshoes for a little walk in the woods, instead of playing around with Heetsheets, BlastMatches, and PLBs.

My brother knows it definitely summer when I show up, basic wimp that I am....

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/26/09 08:02 PM

i know Bemidji--i went to college there in the 70's..north of Berrmidji is real North Woods--the slush "down south" in the "citys" as they call Mpls/St Paul up north is now frozen solid..a total mess..it took the better part of an hour to dig out my car from cement like snow-frozen slush.a square blade,D handle shovel was %100 necessary. a plastic blade would have busted or not made a dent in the heap and a short handled E-tool would have not reached far enough under the car to clear away the hard pack the car was belly down into and holding it back..i used roof shingles and sand to get a grip..i'm in for the day---
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Midwest Storm-I hope your ready - 12/27/09 01:39 AM

Hang in there. Is it ice fishing season yet?