Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho

Posted by: camerono

Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/19/09 09:47 PM

I took a few weeks in early August 2009 to do a cross country solo in N. Idaho. I used SPOT to keep immediate family up to date on my progress. (About 40 to 50 miles cross country)

I was in deep valleys and high ridges. Dense cover and open fields.

I returned with a very happy family that had the fun of tracking me every night and a lot less concern for my well being. To put it bluntly Mom and Grandma slept better at night.

I would be happy to answer any questions any one may have about my personal use of the product.

Excellent in my opinion!

Standard: I have no affiliation with SPOT or affiliates.

Cameron

Posted by: dweste

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/20/09 02:54 AM

Spot or Spot II ?

Weather?

How many messages sent?

GPS tracking?

Anything contrary to Mr. Ritter's reviews?

Thanks.
Posted by: hikermor

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/20/09 05:15 AM

Judging from Ritter's recent evaluation, would it be correct to assume that you did not immerse yours to any significant extent?

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/21/09 05:55 PM

Original Spot

Had rain for up to 5 days in a row and it transmitted fine all days.

Sent 24 messages

Yes I was able to put together a nice Google Earth map of my tracks when I got home.

Nothing contrary to the review.

Cameron

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/21/09 05:56 PM

Correct. This was a real live situation and I took every effort to make sure the unit was dry at all times.

Cameron
Posted by: dweste

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/22/09 11:04 PM

Good report and followup answers. Thanks.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/22/09 11:41 PM

In August/September this year my son did a trip from Yellowknife NWT overland and by float plane into Virgina Falls on the Nahanni River, the group then canoed down the Nahanni and were extracted a week later at the road access on the Laird River.

I enjoyed following along their journey on the computer sat. map and as a parent it give me a comforting feeling to know where he was at. There was about a 10 minute delay from when the signal was sent till the location was updated on my computer screen at home.

Mike
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Used SPOT for 23 day solo in remote N. Idaho - 11/23/09 03:17 AM

i've seen the movies of that part of the world..wonderful and wild but i think i would like everyone to know where i was within 10 minutes if something went wrong!!!..