Lets Make A Deal

Posted by: Jesselp

Lets Make A Deal - 11/19/09 01:17 AM

Ok, so does anyone remember the guy who started with a single red paperclip, and after many trades with many different people wound up trading up to a house? Who's up for a little horse trading fun?

My goal is to see if I can barter my way up to either a new deer hunting rifle or a PLB, starting by clearing out stuff I can't use. If you want to play along, that's great. Let me know what's sitting around and gathering dust in your home that I may find useful. Maybe we can make a trade. If not, no harm done.

I have, sitting on my table, two "Sure-Pak" brand commercial MREs. They are the full meal kit, consisting of an entree, side, dessert, crackers, spread, and beverage mix. The problem is that they are of no use to me - the entree is "New England Clam Chowder" and I can't eat clams. I don't even want them in the house.

Surely someone can use these, and if that someone is you, let me know what you'll offer in trade. I'll ship these out by USPS priority mail envelope, so it will be cheap and I'll eat the cost.

I'm not trying to sell or buy anything - I really want to see how far I can get by trading. Trading and bartering would be a useful thing to have practiced as a survival skill, no?

(Moderators, if this is inappropriate, please remove)
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 11/19/09 01:35 AM

Any other flavor, I wouldve scooped up in a heartbeat. But, bein from new england, I cannot stand most new england clam chowder, with the exception of a few local places that make it. Snobbish, I know...
I am interested in this thread though...and have some items as you get up the scale smile
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 11/19/09 04:14 AM

I have 10 pocket heaters (open to air to activate)Who wants em?

Mike
Posted by: Blast

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 11/19/09 01:01 PM

Jesselp,

I have a pair of Nomex trousers (W34xL38) I'll trade for the MREs. They've only been worn twice and have no holes, frays, or stains. PM me with an address if you want to make this trade.

-Blast

p.s. I like this thread.

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/04/09 02:38 PM

OK folks, this experiment is not dead, just tied up in shipping.

I now have a very nice pair of navy blue Nomex pants, size 34x38 for trade. They are in very nice (like new) condition and I can think of many ways they'd be useful, but I'm not tall enough or thin enough to wear them.

Anyone have something interesting gathering dust in the garage they'd like to trade?
Posted by: Kris

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/04/09 04:35 PM

I'll play along...

I have two atwoods, a crawdaddy and Ti Gas BOBar (ti bug out bar with the cut outs for gas shut off and using the hex screw driver bits). The crawdaddy is pretty much mint and the TiBOBar is used but not abused and the paracord handle taken off. These aren't seeing any use and might as well go to someone who'll use them!

Anyone interested in trades? Shipping from the Caymans.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/06/09 02:31 AM

I have 2 knives that are larger than what I need. Both are new in the box, never used, factory sharp.

- A Camillus/Becker BK7 with the green nylon sheath and PSK pocket.

- A Gerber LMF II ASEK in brown with the hook/line knife also, sheaths for both.

Any interesting trades out there?

Mike

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/06/09 12:25 PM

I received the MRE's from Jesselp on Friday. Man, I really want to give them a taste but alas, they are going into our BOB.

Jesselp now has a set of Nomex pants from the world-famous Blast up for trade, assuming he can bear to part with such treasure! laugh

-Blast

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/06/09 05:36 PM

Sounds like a good trade Blast but your Nomex Pant sizes are backwards for me (38W X 34L).

Mike

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/06/09 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I have 2 knives that are larger than what I need. Both are new in the box, never used, factory sharp.

- A Gerber LMF II ASEK in brown with the hook/line knife also, sheaths for both.

Mike

Mike,
If you had any Barkie's for trade and you wanted some Atwood's, I'd trade you in a second!

Kris

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/07/09 05:40 AM

Sorry Kris, no Bark Rivers here.

I did find a Wyoming 2-sided Gutting Knife with leather sheath and a spare blade today, I have not seen that knife in years, anyone interested?

Mike

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/07/09 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

Mike

Mike, both of those are knives I'd love to have!

Any interest in a nice pair of Nomex pants? Otherwise, is there something in particular you're looking for? I've got a lot of stuff around that I do not use. Maybe you'd find some of it interesting.

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/07/09 10:47 PM

Nighthiker and Jesselp,

Now were cooking a deal! I know Blast's Nomex pants will not fit me, I am wide where he is tall!

Fellows can I attach an image of the knives to a PM, or only to an e-mail? If it is the latter please PM me your addresses.

Nighthiker, you got me thinking about some of your trading stuff, you and I appear to be about the same size.

Jesselp, I am interested in most things outdoor/survival/hunting related.

This is fun, a "Trades" section on the forum would be great.

Mike

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/08/09 04:06 AM

My wife uses a similar discription of me, but it does not sound so flattering?

Mike

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/29/09 05:43 PM

WOOOOHOOOO!

After cleaning out our storage bins and lots of e-mails, NightHiker and I made a terrific long distance trade of a bunch of great outdoor gear. It was like having 2 Christmas mornings this year and I am excited to try out my new equipment. Thanks NightHiker, you were too generous!

It also reaffirmed my believe that there are other good, honest people on the Internet and that many of them frequent ETS Forum. Thanks Doug Ritter for the opportunity to participate.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Mike

Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/29/09 06:52 PM

Now that's just teasing... So what did you score?!?!

Greg

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/30/09 08:27 PM

Guys,

I do have a whole bunch of photos sitting on the memory card of my computer, waiting for me to find the time to post them to see if anyone is interested in a trade. Sorry for the delay. Kids and all. . .

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 12/30/09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
Guys,

I do have a whole bunch of photos sitting on the memory card of my computer, waiting for me to find the time to post them to see if anyone is interested in a trade. Sorry for the delay. Kids and all. . .

Kids for trade? Cool, that would be a lot easier than adopting. laugh

-Blast

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/01/10 01:40 PM

I'm building up a list of things to trade off as well... I'm going through the house and packing and realizing how much stuff I have that I never used!

Christmas and the kids have been nuts trying to get stuff done.

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/03/10 02:06 AM

Hi Folks, I am late getting back to this thread as I have been out-of-town celebrating New Years with my extended family in Southern Ontario.

I know NightHiker is being too modest as the huge load of outdoor items he sent me is terrific! I think we both just swapped stuff we were not using for items that we needed/wanted, I would do another one of these trades anytime!

Mike
(Packrat looking to trade with others with like affliction)
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/03/10 02:55 AM

I've got a USGI large Alice pack (new pads), a 3-day pack, a USGI gore-tex bivy (repaired, leaks around the stitching if submerged in a bathtub).

Anyone have interest?
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/03/10 05:33 AM

I'll be going through 5 bins of emergency/survival/camping gear in my garage next week, but the first thing that comes to mind is a set of new never worn winter flyers coveralls in 42R. This is to be worn as an out garment. Can post pics if anyone's willing to trade. PM me if anyone wants them. Now that winter's here, they may make a nice addition to someone's winter gear.

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/04/10 03:05 PM

Looks like all my stuff is now packed for the UK. Once it gets there (and me too!), i'll post up a list.

Posted by: Themalemutekid

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/05/10 08:30 PM

Cool thread,I have an XXl Black McMurdo North Face Parka for trade.It's in like new condition. I'm interested in knives & camping equipment, any takers?

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/05/10 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid
Cool thread,I have an XXl Black McMurdo North Face Parka for trade.It's in like new condition. I'm interested in knives & camping equipment, any takers?

Hmmm, I wonder if that would fit me? What sort of knives/camping gear are you looking for?

-Blast

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/05/10 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Originally Posted By: Blast
Originally Posted By: Themalemutekid

Hmmm, I wonder if that would fit me? What
-Blast

Naw, you're too skinny Blast. wink

I, on the other hand am not.

So.....just what sort of knives/camping gear ARE you looking for TMK?

Perhaps a trip out to your local ski shop to try out one of their parkas would be a good idea, It's a really big & bulky coat.

Well lets see, I'm in the market for a camp stove ( Jetboil or Coleman dual-fuel) as for knives; I am looking for fixed blades. A good flashlight or a pair of polarized aviators would not be shunned.I'm open to what i trade for it, just let me know what ya got.

P.S. I also have a Benchmade Skirmish that i'm willing to trade as well.

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/06/10 12:16 AM

Quote:
local ski shop

Local...ski...shop? You mean the one with boats and girls in bikinis? I don't think they carry that coat there...

-Blast, warmer than almost all the rest of you!
Posted by: Adventureboy

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/06/10 12:47 AM

Hey Y'all,
I have a Child's ARC'TERYX Climbing harness it would fit a child with a 7-8 to 10-12 size waist. If any of you have kids that want to rock climb or rappell this is perfect. It is an older model but still in great condition. I also have a 1.5 litre Camelbak(camelbak brand) Hydrobak. It is in pristine conditon I used it for 1 week in the back country. The only way you would know it was used is if you are reading this. It has a closeable big bite valve meaning it wont leak if you turn a switch. I also purchased a bite valve cover for it which I will throw in. PM me for pics and addresses. I am interested in a larger camelbak 2+ litres, preferably military, I don't care what color as long as it is not bright yellow red or green also a larger harness that would fit a 29-30 inch waist. any survival or military surplus gear. Good sunglasses and as always any Knife.
Adventureboy

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/06/10 03:02 AM

OK, so here's the photos I promised. All this stuff is surplus to me, and I'm willing to make trades:

First, we have fly fishing rods:

Closeup

One of these is promised to Nighthiker, if he wants it.

Next up, we have an external frame pack:

This is old, but in good condition. It was purchased by my dad in the 1970s, and has been in storage for most of the last 20 years!

I understand some people are interested in knives?

On the left we have a Glock Field Knife. On the Right, a Winchester Hunting Knife (from Walmart, made in China).

Next Up:

On the left, an UnderWater Kinetics Blue Tang dive knife. Blade is 316SS, made in the USA. It comes apart so that the entire thing can be cleaned and lubed to prevent corrosion. In very good shape. On the right is a "Survival Knife" with a hollow handle which contains a small survival kit, and a compas on the pommel. The small plastic pouch on the sheath which holds a sharpening stone is kind of falling apart, but the blade is in good shape. Blade says 420 Stainless, Taiwan.

Below is a photo of the dive knife taken apart for cleaning, and the other knife opened to display the small survival kit:

Finally, the MREs that got this whole thing started:

So, LETS MAKE A DEAL. . . \

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/06/10 12:41 PM

Got the photos to work in the above post. Check them out.

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/06/10 04:56 PM

Quote:
Well my spare dual-fuel Coleman recently found its way into SwampDonkeys inventory but what size/type of fixed blade are you looking for? What do you consider a "good" flashlight? I have a couple of Surefires... And I work on an Air Force base so I'm thinking I can probably aquire a decent pair of glasses.

A Surefire flashlight is good, some nice polarized aviator sunglasses from where you work sound good too. as for the knife, it can be any size as long as it's non-serrated, not made in china & in fairly good condition. You seem to have some good stuff up for grabs, make me an offer...maybe we can work something out.

Ps. I can post a photo of the parka on here if anyone wants to see it.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Lets Make A Deal - 01/17/10 04:23 AM

I've got a black Maxpedition Devil Dog Versipack that I'd like to trade. I've only worn it out on hikes two or three times so it's in near mint shape. It's a solid, well built piece of gear that can either be worn as a waist pack or slung over the shoulder. I'm moving my Level One BOB to a backpack when I find the right one so the Devil Dog can go. I don't know what I'm looking for by way of a trade so make me an offer if you're interested and we'll see what happens.

I can post pics if anyone would like to see it.

Thanks!

Edit: I just realized after going through this thread again that it's Jesselp's trade thread and I don't want to hijack it. I can delete this if necessary.