Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ?

Posted by: picard120

Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 07:25 PM

Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ?

some ppl are against taking vaccinne.
Posted by: litlefoot01

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 07:40 PM

NO I recovered in a week without no shot you wold be fine.

litlefoot01
you don't multiply welth by dividing it.
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 08:19 PM

I'm going to take it - with diabetes, the flu can be a killer
Posted by: Russ

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 08:49 PM

CBS News Exclusive: Study Of State Results Finds H1N1 Not As Prevalent As Feared

I won't be getting the vaccine. H1N1 is being hyped for some reason and even CBS isn't buying it.

Posted by: Yuccahead

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 09:15 PM

Based on the article that Russ posted the link to, it's doubtful that litlefoot01 actually had H1N1.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 10:07 PM

I will be getting both seasonal and H1N1 vaccinations, as soon as they are made available.

There are lots of naysayers but,IMO, very few of them have any idea what they are talking about, those that do are mostly lacking a sense of scale and proportion, and none of them can be counted upon to take any responsibility for their misinformation if things don't work out for you. On the other hand the people who are up to date in the field are pretty much all for vaccination while admitting that there is always some minuscule risk. That some people, like those with an allergy to eggs, should avoid vaccination.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 10:32 PM

What bothers me most about this vaccine is that it was approved on a waiver, it's never been fully tested. It's been rushed out the door under the assumption that a pandemic like 1918 was going to sweep through and it just isn't happening.

Posted by: scafool

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/24/09 11:52 PM

I intend to take it as soon as it is available here.
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 12:16 AM

I'll pass on the shot until I see more testing, I don't know if this story below is real but I'm going to error on the safe side and wait. I do not believe all the testing on this drug has been done. Kind of reminds me of the shots that said caused Autism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mScGC7nFDxM&feature=aso

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ
What bothers me most about this vaccine is that it was approved on a waiver, it's never been fully tested. It's been rushed out the door under the assumption that a pandemic like 1918 was going to sweep through and it just isn't happening.

The waiver means far less than people are making of it. It didn't affect he methods used to produce the vaccine and it didn't change how much testing was done. The methods used in manufacture and testing are identical to the regular seasonal flu vaccines. In essence the flu vaccines have been standardized as a delivery system over the last twenty years with only the flu strains selected to go into it being changed.

The difference was primarily in the typical months of consensus building among various administrative structures which select which strains are going to go into next years flu vaccine. Selecting strains is serious business. Pick the wrong ones and you people can die in large numbers. Which is why the process normally takes many months of monitoring to see what is on the horizon and debate to try to get it right. With the H1N1 strain emerging at an odd time it didn't make it into the seasonal vaccine. The only real question was if it required a second vaccine to be released. Once that decision was made there was no debate over what would go into the vaccine so the process went much faster.

I think your premature in saying "pandemic like 1918 was going to sweep through and it just isn't happening". First the virus hasn't even really started 'sweeping through'. The height of the flu season is still weeks off. As temperature and humidity drop, and people are forced indoors, the 'sweeping through' gets easier. The numbers ultimately affected will only be clear after the fact.

Second, I hope it doesn't take people literally dropping dead in the streets to meet your expectations of a vaccine being worth the effort. Vaccines are part of preventing a worse case situation. If your relatively young and healthy the odds are the vaccine might only save you from a few days off work and in bed. But most people have friends, neighbors or family that have more on the line.

Already a few young healthy people, despite getting the full array of medical support, have died. Not being vaccinated isn't safer IMO than getting vaccinated.

Posted by: dougwalkabout

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 01:53 AM

It's worth considering that the formulation, and approvals, are different in each country. So it's tough to compare apples and apples.

I intend to get the shot (the Canadian non-live-virus formulation). The Alberta government is making it available to anyone who wants it. It should be available shortly.

In some ways, not a moment to soon. There's already a bloom locally, with some area schools missing 10-15-25% of students. The cause of these numbers is, of course, complex, and subject to thoughtful revision. But H1N1 is a known factor in this, based on testing, and it's too early for the seasonal flu ritual.

I'm not enormously concerned about this influenza, provided I get the usual version. (Who do I pay to ensure that it's non-life-threatening?)

It's the risk of going from 'flu to intensive care that is the first concern. This happens in about 24 hours in a small but significant percentage of cases. Or spreading it to someone I care about who may be more susceptible. That's not what I'm about.

It's also the possibility of some protection against a mutated, nastier strain down the road. This is more speculative country, of course. But herd immunity is nothing to sneeze at, and has got me this far; there's excellent reason to believe that my odds of typing this note would be a lot slimmer without it. No doubt the building of that herd immunity, through generations, carries a microscopic degree of risk. I guess I have a sense that there is a civic duty involved.

That's my perspective. YMMV.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 01:55 AM

Discussion on vaccine safety that hits most of the points:

http://urban-science.blogspot.com/2009/10/over-next-few-posts-ill-discuss.html

http://urban-science.blogspot.com/2009/10/h1n1-vaccination-hysteria-part-2-should.html

Posted by: leemann

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 03:12 AM

I plan on getting it due to having g6pd.

Lee
Posted by: James_Van_Artsdalen

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 03:58 AM

I got a doctor, and I pay him good money to keep up on medical happenings in general and what's on the ground locally.

I'd be disappointed if he wasn't better informed than me on this.

I'm having him make the call.
Posted by: Xterior

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 08:55 AM

As soon as I can get it, I will get it. In Belgium, the number of infected persons doubles every week at this moment.
Posted by: bws48

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 01:48 PM

No, but I have a specific medical reason.

My history of egg allergy causes my Dr. to think the risk of injecting egg proteins is higher than of getting the flu, this despite my being a diabetic.
Posted by: Lono

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 02:10 PM

Like most areas of the US my county is out of h1n1 vaccine, with promises of delivery in 3 weeks sufficient to vaccinate most requestors. I'll get it then. Meantime I got my first ever flu shot last week.
Posted by: jaywalke

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 04:04 PM

I'll get it when the at-risk groups (of which I am not a member) have had theirs and the supply is sufficient.

Posted by: KG2V

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/25/09 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: bws48
No, but I have a specific medical reason.

My history of egg allergy causes my Dr. to think the risk of injecting egg proteins is higher than of getting the flu, this despite my being a diabetic.

Which is entirely sensable!! Listen to your MD, particularly if you go regularly (Most diabetics see their MD multiple times/year - sometimes as often as weekly if things aren't in control)

My daughter had a case of H1N1 (confirmed) - she was in one of the NYC schools that closed because of it. Was not too bad in her case, a few days sick, and away we go. A teacher at another local school died.

I basically live in what was the heart of the NY outbreak. The worst hit school (St Francis Prep) is about 1/2, maybe 2/3rds of a mile from here, and my daughter's school (which at one point had something like 200 kids down with 'flu/flu like symptoms" (they stopped testing after a while) is all of 1/4 mile

It actually, on the average, seems to be slightly milder than the normal flu, but if you get it bad, you get it bad
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/26/09 04:11 AM

The seasonal flu vaccines protect against three strains of flu. The H1N1 strain has been included many times as one of the projected problems for the season.
Posted by: picard120

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/27/09 02:42 AM

would the insurance oppose to vaccinne shots in the US?

What do you guys think?
Posted by: UpstateTom

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/27/09 03:43 AM

I'm not taking it. My doctor isn't taking it herself. I'm not in a high risk group, I trust my doctor's judgment, and I'm not one to generally trust our state health department to have my personal best interest in mind.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 10/27/09 04:12 AM

I've already had the seasonal flu vaccine. As soon as the H1N1 vaccine is available to me (low risk group), I'll have that one too. Adults can make their own decision on vaccinations. What drives me crazy are the parents who refuse to get their kids vaccinated for anything, ... just "because". I guess that's the newest fad in the stupid-parent crowd.
Posted by: Arney

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/02/09 04:55 PM

Things are turning out differently that I expected. I thought that because of a lot of dire warnings flying around the Internet and the comments from TV folks like Bill Maher or Rush, that there would be little interest in the shots. It seems to be just the opposite, at least from what I have seen on the news.

Ironically, it may be the vaccine makers themselves who are doing the most to shoot themselves in the foot. Production is way behind their initial estimates, and it seems many people are angry at both the vaccine makers, health authorities, the President, etc. because there isn't a huge supply available already. I get the sense that many will give up trying to get the shot simply out of anger or frustration. That's not a good reason to not get the shot.

I think few people realize how amazing it is that we have as much of the vaccine as we do. Many years, it's hard enough trying to produce enough of the seasonal flu shot in time for October distribution, and this year, we have both seasonal and H1N1 shots coming out, and the H1N1 vaccine was started on way, way later than you'd usually begin production. It's rather amazing, actually.

I'm not in any priority group, but I'll get the shot whenever it becomes convenient and readily available once all the priority groups are vaccinated. For those like me, I wouldn't be surprised if that is sometime after the New Year. I'm not in any particular hurry.
Posted by: T_Co

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/02/09 05:37 PM

I took it because I work at a store where I stock shelves and work the register. Some unsavories handle product and money that I do not want to know what they have done with. My GF works at a doctors office so we didn't have to pay for it so all the more reason. Also I did a quick search just of this post and found that no one mentioned that you can take both the H1N1 and Flu vaccine in a mist form. Both me and my daughter took it that way.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/02/09 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: T_Co
...no one mentioned that you can take both the H1N1 and Flu vaccine in a mist form. Both me and my daughter took it that way.

It's unclear to me if you're saying that you got both vaccines at the same time through the nasal spray. Because that would not be recommended. Or you're saying that you got just the H1N1 through nasal spray?

Just a FYI tidbit from a CDC question & answer page found here .

Quote:
Can the 2009 H1N1 nasal spray vaccine and the seasonal nasal spray vaccine be given at the same time to the same person?

No. The seasonal nasal spray vaccine and the 2009 H1N1 nasal spray vaccine should not be given at the same time. This is because the nasal spray vaccines might not be as effective if given together. It is fine to receive the 2009 H1N1 nasal spray at the same time as the seasonal influenza (flu) shot, or the seasonal flu nasal spray at the same time as the 2009 H1N1 flu shot vaccine.

Also depending on how old you daughter is (i.e. if between 2 and 9 years old), it is recommended that she get a second dose of the H1N1 vaccine about 4 weeks after the first one.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/02/09 06:35 PM

Sorry, You can get them both in mist forms but they are taken seperately, but not on the same visit like you can with the shots. Because they are both live virus' in mist form you have to wait "28 days" lol, in between the 2, even if 1 is a shot. We had not gotten in the H1N1 yet so I went with the Flu first, then just took the H1N1 this last Friday. No side effects from either by the way.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/02/09 06:36 PM

Oh 1 more bit on the mist. Children under 9 have to take the H1N1 mist twice. With the same 28 days in between them as well.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/05/09 03:08 PM

Great video on Swine Flu
Quote:
Now it's been revealed that the federal government deliberately withheld data that showed a huge percentage of people who have been reported as having the Swine Flu did not in fact have it.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/05/09 03:56 PM

Russ, this is not such a great video, and I'll tell you why: it starts with a recent (and edited) CBS News story (10/27/09) chronicling how how the large percentage of assumed H1N1 cases (no testing to confirm) are actually not H1N1 - that's news, and if you want to read the whole story I encourage you to read and to view it at http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/21/cbsnews_investigates/main5404829.shtml. In fact CBS has a whole slew of H1N1 news stories that are worth a read, including one on the short supply of vaccines and why they are short (low yield, not other reasons, aka a black helicopter created production shortage).

After the CBS story though the video starts in with a segment from a 1979 60 Minutes on swine flu, which to put a point on it is all the rage in the anti-innoculation crowd these days, and has been used to fuel alot of sentiment against vaccination that ultimately is dangerous to affected populations of people. You can also source video and transcripts of this segment and review it yourself, although beware your sources, some out there have also been edited. My basic response - this segement is from 1979, not 2009, and the content is hardly news or relevant to the H1N1 issue. I didn't watch past the 5 minute mark, this video goes on some 9 minutes, and I don't know whether it has more info to provide or simply devolves into the Mercola message.

I'm not willing or prepared to debate Mercola here, and I hope folks aren't willing to put up with it either. Mostly I just wanted to point out how I found the video to be not so great. We are better off if we can stick to un-edited subjects and current news about the H1N1 pandemic. As 'historical record' this video provides a very subjective viewpoint slanted in my view towards a pre-determined point of view.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/06/09 02:24 AM

Point taken.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/06/09 04:40 PM

With the recent report of a lab-confirmed case of H1N1 in an Iowa cat which probably got it from its owners, maybe the next question is, "Will you give your pet H1N1 vaccine?" Well, I'm being tongue-in-cheek here. But considering how Americans have increasingly turned pets into quasi-children now, I can imagine many pet owners who previously shrugged off getting a shot for themselves suddenly feeling very desperate to get one for their little precious.

On a different note, anybody else notice this outbreak in Ukraine? Sounds frightening, assuming the reports are accurate. Depending on which source you read, up to 600,000 reported cases in two weeks? Almost 150,000 in 24 hours? Slovakia shut its border crossings. That's a lot of new cases for a country that size.

The samples are still being studied, but one scary possibility is what health authorities have been afraid of--that the relatively stable H1N1 virus has finally mutated. Or it could be another flu strain has stormed onto the world stage, ready to shove H1N1 to the side.

Well, it's just all speculation at this point. There is also talk that with January elections coming up in Ukraine, it's also a politically motivated situation. Kind of a Wag The Dog kind of thing, I guess.
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/06/09 06:00 PM

Quote:
With the recent report of a lab-confirmed case of H1N1 in an Iowa cat which probably got it from its owners, maybe the next question is, "Will you give your pet H1N1 vaccine?" Well, I'm being tongue-in-cheek here. But considering how Americans have increasingly turned pets into quasi-children now, I can imagine many pet owners who previously shrugged off getting a shot for themselves suddenly feeling very desperate to get one for their little precious.

This is unlikely to occur, as there is no approved H1N1 veterinary vaccine currently on the market and by the time one might be developed and approved, I suspect the wave will behind us.

On an interesting note, we use a mini-tipped swab/culturett to collect oral samples from mice (it is normally used to collect nasal specimens from infants). We have been told they are on extended backorder. No reason was given, but we have never had backorders on this product previously.

Pete

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/06/09 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
This is unlikely to occur, as there is no approved H1N1 veterinary vaccine currently on the market...

Yes, I realize there is no H1N1 vaccine for our pets. It was more a commentary on our often contradictory perceptions of risk. A person might perceive little risk from coming down with H1N1 or see a lot of risk from the vaccine based on Internet postings, and say "No thank you" to the vaccine for themselves. But if their pet is suddenly perceived to be at risk, I could see many of these very same people suddenly turn around and clamor for development, as fast as possible, of a vaccine to protect their pets.

Dealing with this pandemic is such a lose-lose situation on many fronts. One of the more recent controversies is over intravenous peramivir, which wasn't yet approved for use in the US. It was recently given an emergency use authorization. Before that, I would see meetings on TV where people go to the mike almost tearfully asking why the FDA wasn't making peramivir more readily available during a crisis situation like a pandemic. But after the EUA, I see posts on various websites slamming (the same ones that slam H1N1 vaccine) the approval of "untested" peramivir and how it's just another case of Big Pharma sneaking one more money-making product on the market without proper testing, yada-yada. You just can't please everyone.
Posted by: Roarmeister

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/07/09 12:58 AM

I will probably take it when the line-ups and hysteria calm down a bit. I have to schedule it around my blood donation schedule. My next donation is early Dec. so either I get the shot at least 3 days prior to the donation or sometime after that and still before Christmas.

Its provided free of charge. While I'm not in a high risk group, if I get vaccinated and I am one less person to get H1N1 then I figure its for the good of society in general and for the good of my family and co-workers. Just one less person to spread the virus may mean 100 people with less exposure to it. Guess what, in times like this, it's not always about ME or about whether it is a danger to myself if I get sick! I can either get the vaccine shot at a employment sponsored clinic, University clinic or at a general population clinic whatever will be the most flexible.

We've have so much alcohol cleaner around at work that a person can't walk 25' before encountering another dispenser! And a couple of N95 masks if I feel threatened. Purell and other companies must be making a fortune! Our company policy promotes workers going home at the first signs of H1N1 sickness as part of its pandemic planning to minimize the exposure to other people.

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/07/09 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I believe a cat was recently diagnosed with H1N1...

That little SWINE!!!

I wonder how many other species are susceptible to H1N1? Pet birds, cats, dogs, gerbils???

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/07/09 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool

Would that be before the Calgary Flames get shot or after???
(The nerve of that team, and Toronto Maple Leafs as well for que jumping before the high risk people! That just boils my blood!)

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/09/09 05:44 PM

This must be the first news report I have seen this season for a flu clinic that had too FEW people. And FREE vaccine, to boot! Leave it to cynical New Yorkers to be the one to buck the trend. Or maybe it was just really poorly advertised to the public.

Well, I'm sure that NYC isn't the only place with low interest in the vaccine, but considering the population size, it's noteworthy how few people showed up.

"New York clinics see few crowds for free vaccine"

Re: Would you take the H1N1 vaccinne ? - 11/09/09 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
Originally Posted By: scafool

Would that be before the Calgary Flames get shot or after???
(The nerve of that team, and Toronto Maple Leafs as well for que jumping before the high risk people! That just boils my blood!)

Maintaining the queue is tricky stuff - around Seattle some of the King County Jail guards are upset that certain inmates in high risk groups (based on age, susceptibility to sickness and other factors) are getting vaccine ahead of the guard population itself. I can understand their argument, but if the quantity of vaccine available doesn't reach a legitimate population like jail guards I think they have to wait for more vaccine. I feel a little bit the same, I work Red Cross shelters and will undoubtedly run into folks with H1N1, but there's no priority for shelter workers. Jail guards have it a little worse, they have this day to day and I only run into it if/when we open a shelter. In the end though, does a jail guard have any different interaction with potentially affected populations than, say, a Starbucks barista? Neither is maintaining enough distance to prevent infection.

My friends in the UK maintain Americans have no concept of a proper queue, go figure...