spoils of break up

Posted by: comms

spoils of break up - 10/22/09 04:09 PM

a couple in my extended family is divorcing. I was allowed to pick through the set asides and only ETS members would appreciate my joy in 'inheriting'
2 long garden hoses,
2x 100 ft outdoor ext. cords
3x 5 lbs ABC dry chem. fire extinguishers
a 5 gallon propane tank

other peoples junk is another persons treasure.

can anyone relate?
Posted by: Jeanette_Isabelle

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: comms

Those are always good to have around. wink

Jeanette Isabelle
Posted by: Kona1

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 06:07 PM

You have chosen wisely.
Posted by: Basecamp

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 06:53 PM

Years ago, a friend of a friend was contemplating the purchase of a certain revolver. I happened to have one of the type he was looking for, and asked my friend if his friend would like to try one out before buying. He took me up on the offer. Several months went by and I asked my friend about it... He hadn't heard from his friend in a while and checked into it...

His friend and his wife had gone through a messy divorce and she had sold "his" stuff at a garage sell for pennies on the dollar...

Yep...

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 07:03 PM

oh. ouch.
Posted by: scafool

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 07:16 PM

I love inheriting useful junk.
The only thing about relatives in my family is they never forget it was their stuff, and for some odd reason they seem to expect it back in better condition than it ever was if they decide they want it again.
Posted by: Susan

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 07:50 PM

"for some odd reason they seem to expect it back in better condition than it ever was if they decide they want it again."

Just tell them you sold it or gave it away. grin

Sue
Posted by: scafool

Re: spoils of break up - 10/22/09 08:24 PM

Cripes Susan, if I ever told my sister that I sold some of the stuff she and her hubby dumped in my yard they would expect me to give them some of the money I got, and that happens to be against my religion.
I just use the blank and confused look on them when any of them ask about stuff like that, and I leave the shed locked.

Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: spoils of break up - 10/25/09 04:19 AM

My uncle had a tack hammer (staple gun hammer) that my grandmothers parasitic friend borrowed, then let his rather extended family borrow it until it was returned for more staples (it had a brand new box with it when he borrowed it) and a repair about a year later. Did I mention I do not loan things now? I don't borrow them either.

I belong to a couple freecycle groups in my area. It is worth the hassle. My family has acquired a desk, fencing, aluminum coffee pots (percolators)... riches!

Posted by: Lono

Re: spoils of break up - 10/25/09 02:06 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle

Those are always good to have around. wink

\

Excellent - and since going into this, you're already prepared with a fire extinguisher for your kitchen and one for each floor of your house, your garage, etc, these could be considered surplus, right?

My point is if you already have fire extinguishers, these (or whichever extinguishers are closest to expiration) could be used to teach others how to use them, either on your own or with the help of a local fire station with time on their hands. You must know some friends, wives and kids who have never handled a fire extinguisher. Get them out in the middle of the local ballfield, put some gas or diesel in a metal pan, and light it. Then show them how to use the extinguisher, talk about the PASS method, and give everyone a chance at putting it out, relighting as you go. Each extinguisher should be good for a few uses. With luck no one will be set on fire, and after a half hour you will have taught some folks something they really should know and not have to learn 5 seconds before their next kitchen fire. Our local fire station does this demo in their back parking lot.
Posted by: thseng

Re: spoils of break up - 10/29/09 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
...borrow it until it was returned for more staples...

Classic.

Reminds me of a story my FIL, and electrician, once told. He was on a job site in the city and gave his helper some money to go buy them each a coffee. His helper returned with one coffee and proceeded to start drinking it. When asked why he didn't have two coffees, he responded: "On the way up, I dropped yours."

Re: spoils of break up - 11/08/09 01:43 AM

Got one more good pick up from this 'issue': 4 dozen Kerr mason jars with all the gear for canning. w00t.

Re: spoils of break up - 01/14/10 08:37 PM

Reviving this thread with a great find today cleaning out an office at work.

3 x 5 gallon water bottles already filled.

2 bottles of Champagne.

A box of 100 Gillette Triple sensor disposable razors.

Posted by: Skimo

Re: spoils of break up - 01/16/10 10:40 PM

There MUST be a story about an office that had water buckets, champagne bottles and razors!
Posted by: Compugeek

Re: spoils of break up - 01/17/10 02:37 PM

Reviving this thread with a great find today cleaning out an office at work.

3 x 5 gallon water bottles already filled.

2 bottles of Champagne.

A box of 100 Gillette Triple sensor disposable razors.

Let me guess: it was a salesman's office, right?
Posted by: JBMat

Re: spoils of break up - 01/17/10 04:53 PM

I scored a ton of stuff, from reams of office paper, power strips, mice (mouses?), keyboards, paper cups, plastic cutlery and other things when the company my wife works for asked me to clean out a building they had been using. I was told that everything that wasn't in one room was to be trashed. The items in the one room were to go to a storage area. Took me most of a day, but I did the job and got paid rather nicely for making trash runs.

In essence, I was paid to take the stuff home with me. What a deal.

Re: spoils of break up - 01/18/10 07:20 PM

@compugeek. Close enough to right.