Anyone use a Lumbar pack?

Posted by: comms

Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/12/09 03:50 PM

I am considering a Mountainsmith DAY or TOUR lumbar pack. Has anyone used either of these and give me a +/-?

I normally use camelbaks or backpacks for day hikes but have been enjoying my running belts modified for more gear carry.

Been looking at reconstituting my LBE with buttpack or a Wildfire firefighter rig, but would need to add 32 oz lexan bottle holders. I intend to use the Mountainsmith Strapette harness that complements their packs.

Thanks for your feedback.
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/12/09 03:52 PM

I use one-I forgot what model it is. I suggest finding the suspenders for it-rides MUCH better that way.
The model I have is quite capable of holding a surprisingly large amount of equipment-I can get a good sized survival kit in there, and even a soda can stove with a little thing of fuel. A jacket strapped on the outside, it makes a great emergency/overnight pack.
Posted by: EdD270

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/13/09 01:16 AM

I have an old Mountainsmith lumbar pack I got in the late 80's. It's very comfortable to carry, has straps to tie on jacket, pad, etc. and expands a little. I like to use it on short hunting trips, and used to take it on occasional minimalist overnights.
Mountainsmith, REI, Cabela's and several others make quality lumbar packs that should do what you want. shop around and find one that feels good on you and go with it.
And yes, the suspenders are vital to carrying any load in them.
Posted by: tomfaranda

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/13/09 01:31 AM

I have both models. The Tour is very good size for a day hike and I've used it quite a lot.

But the Day model is almost too big - it just doesn't ride right. I have never used it with the strappettes, which convert it into a quasi-day pack and I'm sure it would work better that way. however - I have several day packs which I'd prefer.

Really the Day model is too much of an in-betweener. If you want mine I'll give it to you at a good price!

Strongly recommend the Tour.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/14/09 04:13 PM

I prefer a backpack with a sturdy hipbelt.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/14/09 05:23 PM

I tried on a mountainsmith Tour pack and didn't like the water bottle set ups. Its just drawstring cords which are not very secure.

I am reconstituting my LBE with two nalgene water bottle holders instead of canteens, ammo cases to old odd/ends and my buttpack for storage. Unless I find something different, I will start to manufacture my own suspenders and belt to old all this gear, just to get the GI style off it. It would certainly be lighter.

My dad has an older USFS wildfire belt & suspender kit that he is looking for. Always liked those too and will try that out.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/15/09 01:41 AM

I haven't had a problem with my mountainsmith Tour, as far as the water bottles. Haven't had any fall out, or even start coming out, either in 20 or 32 ounce size. And I've used it a lot.
Posted by: yelp

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/15/09 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: comms
My dad has an older USFS wildfire belt & suspender kit that he is looking for. Always liked those too and will try that out.

Ugh...don't. Can't put it any more succinctly than that...just don't. Massive slippage and poor weight distribution.

Recommended: the Pack Shack's webgear (bottom only):

http://thepackshack.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=Packs

Nobody is going to know what's going to fit you except you, so see if you can arrange a meet-and-greet-and-fit with one of the Tonto's 'shot crews (PV, Payson, and Globe)...they might think you're nuts, but they'll probably let you hike around with one for a bit. Shot crews are down right now, so ask for the Hotshot Superintendent or the AFMO (Assistant Fire Management Officer). The Mesa RD engine crews also used them if that's closer to home (Lower Salt River Rec).

This is all ten-years-plus info, by the way. But somebody should know what you're talking about and be willing to help out.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/15/09 04:45 PM

@Yelp: based on PM's I have always liked the way you think. Great advice.

@Tom: good to know about slippage. I am paranoid about losing gear and if its not secured I'd just as well dummy-cord it. After trying the Tour on, I was underwelmed at the placement of the water holders and my ability to reach it easily and put it back easily.

This is why I may go with an LBE now and then stitch up my own suspension system in the end. I'd just use the milispec gear along the belt. I do have some 'rigger' skills and my father is much better than I. If I wanted to Big Shot it, I have a custom build company I have worked with in the past that is out of this world on gear.

Any chance we can keep this thread going? Any experience with Mountainsmith lumbar packs?

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/15/09 06:12 PM

Comms, you're right - reaching the water bottles can be a bit awkward (never a deal-breaker for me)... but they won't fall out!
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/16/09 01:45 AM

I have been using a WolfPack Gear "Urban Assult" Lumbar pack for a few years. Originally I bought this pack for wildland, but it just didn't carry enough and as you can see I needed to add a CamelBak bladder to the outside. I have since moved it over to my teaching and SAR use. I like having my load low and off my back, not only does it seem to keep me cooler but it also allows another pack (like a hurting students or a medical pack).

You won't go wrong with a Mountainsmith, I have a Tour that I have had since High School and it is a nice little daypack, you can even fit a 1L bladder inside it for on the go hydration.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/19/09 04:39 PM

can't believe I missed this Alan. Great photo. Considering the circumstances.

Thanks for your input.

Talking out loud, its never a bad thing to have extra LBE around. But I have been rethinking my plan again. From what I have read, the Tour pack I tried on is only to hold 20 oz bottles, not the 1L nalgene I put in, which would account for my insecurity at staying in the pocket. I am looking around locally for a Day model to see if there is a big difference in that.
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/19/09 05:40 PM

I just ordered a Day with straps. When it comes in, I can check the fit of Nalgenes, take measurements or photos for you when it gets here.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/21/09 03:24 AM

I just took my tour pack and put 32 oz. old gatorade bottles in the bottleholders. They fit fine. That's often the btl size I use with the tour. The holders are adjustable.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/21/09 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_M
I just ordered a Day with straps. When it comes in, I can check the fit of Nalgenes, take measurements or photos for you when it gets here.

Thanks Jeff. I would like to think you are doing this for me, but understand I am occasionally delusional.

Let me know if 1L nalgene bottles fit well. I have read some reviews mentioning Gatorade bottles and bike type bottles, but I don't use those.

Appreciate your feedback
Posted by: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/21/09 09:28 PM

Yes, but unless your carrying a very light load you need some sort of shoulder strap or webbing yoke to take the weight off your hips and stomach. As you appear to have done.

This is one area where the ladies have the advantage. Having hips unlike myself. Any sort of weight means that I either have to cinch the belt uncomfortably tight or use a shoulder strap.

A 1 litre bottle of water is heavy.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/21/09 10:13 PM

@Leigh: This is why I am looking specifically at the Mountainsmith line. They have the Strapette suspenders and I would definitely buy those to compliment.

1L is heavy, 2 lbs roughly, but its the same if in a camelbak or on your hips. Plus its a usable commodity not counted as pack weight.

Part of my inclination to the lumbar system now, is that I have got to a point where I can be UL (ultralight) if I want. I did a hard Grand Canyon hike two weeks ago and my base weight (minus food and water, and admittedly a tent) was under 4lbs. That includes my Go-Lite backpack.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/22/09 02:08 AM

Wait a minute. The whole point of a waistbelt on a backpack is to shift the weight off the shoulders, onto your hips. But you say to use the strapettes on a mountainsmith lumber pack to move the weight off your hips and onto your back?

Mountainsmith strapettes (cost $25) were orignally designed for the mountainsmith day lumbar pack, although they work on other mountainsmith lumbars, including the tour. I have both the day and the tour. I don't use the day because without the strapettes - which I don't own - the day just is too big and ungainly. 'm sure with the strapettes it would fundciton similarly to a daypack, but I already have several excellent ones.

But the tour is great. I have carried close to three qts of water, as well as other stuff in it on day hikes and it's quite comfortable. I think the point is, the weight is where I want it, on my hips.

Anyone interested in my mountainsmith Day, PM me. It's just about new. I think they retail for $80. i would probably charge $35-40 including shipping.
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 10/22/09 03:37 AM

Quote:
it also allows another pack (like a hurting students or a medical pack).

There's a special pack for hurting students?
I always have to improvise with any lab equipment lying around.

The problem with carrying any reasonable sized water bottles in a lumber pack is that they either hang to far off the back or swing around too much - that looks like the ideal solution.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 11/08/09 12:42 AM

Well I am now a proud owner of the Mountainsmith Day pack. Big thanks and public recognition to TomF. He really affirms yet again the awesomeness of the people on this forum. I really want to thank him publicly for being so stand up. Thanks!

Impressions.
I had only seen, touched and smelled the MS Tour, which as stated I thought was too small for my needs. The MS Day hits the spot I needed. My primary concern was the water bottles fitting with very little worry of them falling out. The mesh holders are perfect for 1L Nalgene bottles. On the Tour they are about an inch shorter, good for sloping bottles like Gaterade or cycling bottles, but I would not trust Nalgene bottles in the Tour. At least the way I am with gear. YMMV.

I have been able to put all my EDC into the pack plus several other items for daily carry and it's just full enough. My backpack had a certain amount of dead space in it. Because the Day is more compact, it feels lighter though I have not yet done a weight comparison. I also bought the Strappettes for the bag. They really do take up the weight.

Next weekend I have a 4-5 hour day hike up Browns Peak, one of the 'Four Peaks' found NE of Phoenix. I will be using the Day as my pack. And will give a write up after wards.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 11/08/09 10:00 PM

I do have a small fanny pack that I got on clearance from REI last year. It has 2 16oz bottles that flank a very small, triangular shaped pocket. It carries: altoid tin PSK, heat sheet, AMK 0.3 FAK, and usually a LM on the belt. There's just enough room to cram in my digital camera and a power bar if I really over load it.

In other words, just the bare essentials, and tops out at what... 5 lbs max?

Otherwise, it's a daypack, which is usually too big for a little extra gear.

http://www.rei.com/product/762546

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 11/08/09 11:06 PM

very nice. I do love REI. Its like my Valhalla.
Posted by: Alan_Romania

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 11/08/09 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: NobodySpecial
Quote:
it also allows another pack (like a hurting students or a medical pack).

There's a special pack for hurting students?
I always have to improvise with any lab equipment lying around.

The problem with carrying any reasonable sized water bottles in a lumber pack is that they either hang to far off the back or swing around too much - that looks like the ideal solution.

LOL, yeah... that should have read "a hurting student's pack
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 11/08/09 11:29 PM

Well I am now a proud owner of the Mountainsmith Day pack.
Just got mine, too.
I will be using the Day as my pack. And will give a write up after wards.
Are you using the "strapettes"? I am, but haven't really tried them out yet.

Re: Anyone use a Lumbar pack? - 11/09/09 04:47 PM

I have the Strapettes but currently not using for daily use. Just using the shoulder strap. I will be using the Strappettes this weekend on the pack when I go hiking and the weekend after when I will be spectating at the Ironman race in town.