M6 survival rifle

Posted by: big_al

M6 survival rifle - 10/04/09 12:37 AM

I think I have asked this question before, but I can't find it doing a search.

I know a lot of the people on this forum have this type of rifle and I would like to know your thoughts on it, and any modifications you have made. Also Modifications you would not make.

Is this the only firearm that you carry or pack around?
Posted by: Desperado

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/04/09 01:11 AM

It is not to be confused with any super accurate firearm, but it was not designed for that. It's certainly not a skeet gun nor a sniper rifle. I am confident collecting small game with it though, but that is because I spent a lot of time figuring out the "Kentucky Windage" and adjusting the front site with a file.

I placed a spacer between the tubes and the wrapped the whole thing with 550 cord. The cord does an admirable job insulating the hand from the heat of the barrels, and lets me have a little extra cordage with me also. I was shocked how hot the .410 GA barrel got after only 2 slugs.

Supposedly the 3" slugs from the .410 are close to the ballistic performance of the .45-70, but I am not up on that.

I keep it behind the back seat of my truck when working on the road, and have put it to effective use reducing the Texas Rattlesnake population more than once. Four times in one day recently even.

No it is not the only firearm I carry, I usually have something in .45 ACP within arms reach if I still have a pulse and am not in a restricted are.
Posted by: Comanche7

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/04/09 09:18 PM

Momentary thread hijack here...

There is a guy that has taken it upon himself to investigate various gun and ammunition related "truisms", folklore and generally accepted wisdom and put them to the test. He has created several interesting testing methods and explains his testing methodology for those that may wish to verify his findings and/or create their own testing.

Among many other things, he investigated the .410 as compared to the .45 Long Colt Cartridge and posted his results at the following link.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

The fire arm used for this test was the Taurus Judge so the results are not exactly comparable to rifle / shotgun results due to the difference in barrel lengths. Nonetheless, it is fairly well written and he has rather extensive postings on many other firearm / ammunition related items that may be of interest to some folks here.

Now...back to the original thread

Regards,
Comanche7
Posted by: Jeff_M

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/04/09 11:08 PM

Is Springfield still making M6's?

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/04/09 11:34 PM

No the rifle is no longer made, and the price shows it. When new they sold for around $200, now if you can get one for $400. you are doing good. But, I still want one to replace a 22/410 that is worn out. (cheap gun to start with)

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/04/09 11:48 PM

I found mine thru Cabela's Gun Library. I contacted the local store, and they did a search for one. I got it sight unseen for about $300 including the transfer fees. Everyone else wants $500 or more. Seems most Cabela's don't care to deal with the little guy as opposed to a Krieghoff or some other $16,000.00 collector's item.

I really do enjoy it, but I keep it for unplanned activities. Knowing I may spend some time in bear country when (IF) I head to Canada, I am taking a Remington 870 in 12 GA with slugs and 000 buck as I really would not want to face a bear with a single shot .410 by choice.

I just hope it never comes to the point of having to shoot a bear. I would prefer he be just as frightened as I, and we both agree to do our business in another part of the woods.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 02:45 AM

One other thought comes to mind.

Be careful if you purchase one second hand from an individual. If it has USGI markings or an NSN there are two problems:

1) It is stolen US Government Property. Uncle Sam frowns on that, don't ya know.

2) The barrel length will be 14 inches, and the BATF frowns on scatterguns with a tube length less than 18 inches.

Trust me on this one. I know from experience.....
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 03:19 PM

I have one and I really like it. I have only modified it by adding a strip of tape on the top of the barrel and by adding some swivel rings and a sling.

With a 3" slug and good shot placement at fairly close range, it's worked as a deer rifle for me. The .22 is, again at fairly close range, a decent small game gun.

I have not used it for bird, but I don't see why it would not be good.

I really like the simplicity of it, and I use it much more than the "novelty" gun that is my AR-7.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 03:21 PM

Wait.
Wait.
The M6 is selling for $300?
What?
I think I paid $140 - new - for mine.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Wait.
Wait.
The M6 is selling for $300?
What?
I think I paid $140 - new - for mine.

Smart Apple....

The SS .22Hornet/.410's are going for even more.

I have seen them for $550.00 or so. I just wish the CID partner had not been standing around when I had the chance for 5 USGI (read stolen) versions for a total of $500.00 back in 1989.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 03:42 PM

I wonder how much the rights and the tooling would cost from CZ right about now. I might just open my own manufacturing plant on the side in Mexico or somewhere like that.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 06:05 PM

If it's military issue, the "rights" aren't an issue.

If I were making the M6 over...

1. Put an o-ring seal on the lid of the butt-stock ammo holder for better water-tightness.
2. Use a composite butt stock rather than stamped metal.

I also might want to find a source of .410 flares again...something in a 3" shell...surely the technology exists to make these...too bad the BATFE makes it so hard to make them,

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/05/09 11:55 PM

I was just thinking about the civilian version.

If one had enough cash for all the tooling, and the licensing etc, it might be possible to operate a small enough shop to turn out limited numbers of the piece. Assuming the BATFE, and the insurance man didn't eat up too big a piece of the pie....

I looked around for .410 flares, no dice
Posted by: Be_Prepared

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/06/09 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Knowing I may spend some time in bear country when (IF) I head to Canada, I am taking a Remington 870 in 12 GA with slugs and 000 buck as I really would not want to face a bear with a single shot .410 by choice.

Just a little aside... Remington Arms recently announced that they have sold their 10 millionth 870 pump shotgun! They've been making the "Wingmaster" since 1950. There have been a lot of versions, but, it's a workhorse. I agree that it'd pack some punch in the self defense arena, and you'd certainly be able to score dinner in a survival situation. The basic design has been around for almost 50 years, pretty darn reliable. Interesting to note, Remington I believe is the only American company to make both arms and ammo still.
Posted by: sotto

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/06/09 01:41 AM

I removed the trigger guard from mine and it folds much more compactly now. I had a little trouble getting the .410 shells to slide easily into their holes in the top of the stock until I just put a very light coat of Break Free along the plastic shell. That worked perfectly.
Posted by: scafool

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/06/09 04:26 AM

I liked the Remington pumps quite well.
Both the Wingmaster and the Gamemaster (model 760).
The Gamemaster was 30-06 and was a very nice handling pump action rifle.

There are a lot of good light guns for pack rifles though, and .22lr is a good cartridge for putting meat in the pot.
I do find the .410 gauge a bit light and though 12 gauge is a bit too heavy for me as a pack gun a 16 might be workable.

Again, you need to think a bit about what you are using it for.
If it is for pot hunting a .22 makes a lot of sense.
Most of the critters I would shoot with a .410 are just about as easy with a .22.

My only bit of hesitation is if a scope over iron sight set up is worth while, or if just having the open iron sights makes more sense.
Scopes are nice, but they are easily knocked out of line and they add a bit to the weight and bulk.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/06/09 09:50 AM

The scope is totally unneeded unless one went with some kind of red dot aiming device. Then you are hauling batteries, and the rifle really still doesn't need it.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/07/09 09:48 AM

Someone linked to this on another forum so I'll pass it on to y'all...

http://pakrifle.com/Pak-Rifle.html

Disclaimer: Not affiliated... not even a customer... etc.
Posted by: Stu

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/07/09 06:01 PM

I've a stainless in .22 hornet/.410 and a parkerized in .22 lr/.410.
A very handy camp rifle.
For more serious work a Savage 24 in .22lr/.410, or 24C in .22lr/20ga go in the pack at a weight increase.
Posted by: The_Jackal

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/07/09 09:07 PM

I love mine. All I've added to it is a foam fore grip wrapped in camo duct tape. I've found mine to be pretty accurate. I've shot many a clay pigeon with the .410 and won about $40 from my brother plinking some pretty small targets with the .22 LR.
Posted by: BillC

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/10/09 01:20 AM

Can't remember what I pated for mine but I like it! Have used it on targets on with the 410 barrel to get a few squirrels for the pot. If you find one I think you will like it. Not a target gun.I once saw an addd for it calling it the swiss army knife that you shoot.

Re: M6 survival rifle - 10/16/09 07:44 PM

Finley got my M6. buy the time I was thru with all the outher charges from having it shipped across country it cost me $395. when I looked at it on the web it did not look to be in good shape, when I got a look at the gun it is brand new, I dought if 2 shells have been fired thru it. Now to get it field tested and modifcation done to it. smile