Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others

Posted by: Blast

Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/02/09 12:18 AM

Link to article

Turns out some people produce natural mosquito repellent chemicals: 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one and also geranylacetone

What's more interesting is high levels of these chemicals were produced by people under stress. In other words, happy people taste good. grin

-Blast
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than oth - 09/02/09 12:35 AM

I must produce bacon smell, because I get bitten by everything. LOL
Posted by: Paul810

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than oth - 09/02/09 02:13 AM

Very interesting.

The ability to synthesize an inexpensive, but extremely effective, mosquito repellent, that is safe for both children and adults a like, would end up saving a lot of lives.
Posted by: scafool

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than oth - 09/02/09 02:19 AM

Quote:
One issue that still needs to be resolved: how to develop a formulation of the repellent chemicals that will stay on the skin, rather than quickly evaporating as they do naturally. The hope is to get a product to market within a year or two, he says.

Insect repellent sunscreen?
Posted by: Desperado

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than oth - 09/02/09 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: scafool
Quote:
One issue that still needs to be resolved: how to develop a formulation of the repellent chemicals that will stay on the skin, rather than quickly evaporating as they do naturally. The hope is to get a product to market within a year or two, he says.

Insect repellent sunscreen?

I actually have little individual wipe packs that are insect repellent and sunscreen both.

Now I just wish I could remember where I bought them...
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/02/09 03:13 AM

So, if you are outside and have to give your cat a vet-directed bath, you should be good to go! No mosquito bites; not sure about being cat-bite free though.crazy
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/02/09 12:19 PM

Quote:
Turns out some people produce natural mosquito repellent chemicals: 6-methyl-5-hepten-2-one and also geranylacetone

What's more interesting is high levels of these chemicals were produced by people under stress.

Most likely due to drinking from polycarbonate water bottles wink.

Just teasing grin I‘ll go stand in the corner now-

Pete
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/02/09 01:18 PM

I would imagine that's why when there are no other outside influences. However, in the "real world" I would imagine what we do plays just as big of a part as well.

It's been my experience anyone who uses scented soap, deodorant, or has on cologne or perfume from even the previous day attract more mosquito. Sun tan lotion scented or un-scented attract them, hair products, as well as good`ol body heat and c02 from our mouth.

I've seen mosquito repellent sunscreen... I just don't like the idea of covering my skin with anything especially chemicals. If I am working in mosquitoville I wear long pants and shirts and spray down with deet on the outerwear.
Posted by: comms

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/02/09 04:35 PM

Well mozzies cause as many death globally than anything so this is an huge advancement.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/08/09 10:23 PM

There is the opposite that some people produce higher levels of carbon dioxide, thus attracting the mosquitoes. I think that's the premise behind those propane mosquito attractors.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/08/09 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
There is the opposite that some people produce higher levels of carbon dioxide, thus attracting the mosquitoes. I think that's the premise behind those propane mosquito attractors.

Yep!

They use propane just to burn it and put of carbon dioxide to attract the little buggers!

Heat, Carbon dioxide, and the attractant used those things are affective but $$ for good sized ones frown
Posted by: EchoingLaugh

Re: Solved: why mosquitoes like some more than others - 09/20/09 03:38 PM

i have noticed that in a group, non-smokers have more problems than smokers. working on the levee last year (mosquito heaven! lots of stagnant water) i had very little issue i.e. i smoke. my co-workers got eaten alive. i got tired of their whining, so i hiked back to my truck, retrieved my deet spray. (i use for deep woods, had not thought to use) and still had to listen to it all over again. i have found that smoke repels most insects. maybe its just me, other smokers argue with me that they have insect problems, dunno.