CHECK YOUR FEET!!

Posted by: Blast

CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/09/09 09:07 PM

Sometimes I think I was put on this planet just to be a warning to others...

See the harmless looking dot on the sole of my foot? Turns out it's melanoma. Foot-melanomas are particularly insidious in that they often don't get recognized until it's too late. Thankfully mine is tiny, the dermatologist thinks he can cut it out and no further treatment will be needed.

Check your feet!
Quote:
A popular method for remembering the signs and symptoms of melanoma is the mnemonic "ABCDE":

* Asymmetrical skin lesion.
* Border of the lesion is irregular.
* Color: melanomas usually have multiple colors.
* Diameter: moles greater than 6 mm are more likely to be melanomas than smaller moles.
* Enlarging: Enlarging or evolving

A weakness in this system is the D. Many melanomas present themselves as lesions smaller than 6 mm in diameter; and likely all melanomas were malignant on day 1 of growth, which is merely a dot. An astute physician will examine all abnormal moles, including ones less than 6 mm in diameter.

-Blast

Posted by: MDinana

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/09/09 09:26 PM

Looks like if fails B & C. How about A and E?

Glad you found it small!
Posted by: Doug_Ritter

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/09/09 10:16 PM

Yikes! Who knew?!?!?!?!?

I am sure I'm not the only one who immediately examined their feet and that of loved ones. Forewarned is forearmed.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/09/09 10:50 PM

Dang. Looked at my feet so fast I pulled something elsewhere.

Thank goodness you caught it. Best wishes.

And thanks for the reminder to the rest of us to beware.

Posted by: barbakane

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/09/09 11:44 PM

My wife is a medical assistant at a dermatologists office here in FL. She's got over 20 years in the field, and I'm always getting checked. PLEASE make sure the doctor looks you over thoroughly, even if it means momentary embarrassment. Better that than the treatment, trust me. There are numerous things to watch for, one mainly being a sudden change in any moles or dark spots, should they grow or suddenly become hard or flaky. Check ALL over, or have significant other do it, especially your back. Noses, ears, top of head, arms, all areas regularly and repeatedly exposed to full sunlight should be regularly checked. Wifey says melonoma is one of the only skin cancers that hereditary. Best of luck and PLEASE keep us informed.
Posted by: picard120

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 12:10 AM

OMG. how is melanoma look different from aging spot?
Posted by: LED

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 01:41 AM

Holy crap! (neurotically checks feet) Thanks for the heads up Blast. Wishing you fast and full recovery for your removal.
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 02:08 AM

A BIG THANKS for the information Blast (says the now barefoot man at his computer). I have now just discovered 2 marks on my left foot that meet 2 of the points you listed. I have a doctors appointment soon for my lingering concussion symptoms and I will have him check my foot "marks" then.

I spent a lot of time outdoors and my kids tease me about the permanant brown line across my forehead where my hat ends.

Hope all is well with you Blast and terrific that you caught this at such an early stage. What made you check out your feet in the first place?

Thanks again, MIKE
Posted by: aloha

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 06:40 AM

A speedy recovery to you Blast. And thanks for the warning.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 11:46 AM

Good luck on getting it removed and the removal being the end of the story.
Posted by: NobodySpecial

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: picard120
OMG. how is melanoma look different from aging spot?

They don't - that's the problem.
Generally anything raised above the skin is a concern.
Moles on hands an feet often get ignored as age spots.
Posted by: comms

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 02:38 PM

Well good catch. You never know when that could hit you.
Posted by: KTOA

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 03:24 PM

I had a friend with the same issue several years back. For years he had a tiny small black spot on the side of middle toe. Went for dermatologist visit, who immediately removed what he could, sent him to a plastic surgeon the next day for complete removal.

A couple of days later the dermatologist called to tell him it was full blown melanoma. If it had "broken loose" there would be nothing he could do to help him.

And yes, I went for a full checkup and continue annually.

Dermatologist also told me Bob Marley died from melanoma on his foot.

Go get checked. And slather on the sunscreen.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 08:57 PM

I was at the doctor's one day. He asked me how long I had had the freckle on the palm of my hand. It is about one and one-half mm across. Me, being clueless, answered "I dunno". He informed me spots on the palm are not common. It can be an early warning for cancer he said. Now I check it very often to see if it changes. Hand, foot, who knew?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/10/09 10:24 PM

OK.... You are getting it removed properly, not via any of the Blast-prefered techniques (fire, chemicals, explosions, attack cats), right? smile

I get my moles checked annually. I'm paranoid about them.
Posted by: TomP

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/11/09 02:48 AM

Blast- That may or may not be a melanoma. I would be most comfortable with a doctor that told you that it was suspicious looking and in need of removal but not that it is definately one thing or another. This must be done with appropriate technique of course. Only the final pathology will tell the tale. Good luck. I hope it all turns out ok.
Posted by: TomP

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/11/09 02:50 AM

Added: I have seen many junctional nevi that look like this.

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/11/09 12:01 PM

Quote:
Added: I have seen many junctional nevi that look like this.

So after spending several hours on the internet, there does seem to be a lot of similarity between the appearance of melanomas and junctional nevi(s?). As it is, I really hope you are right, Tom!

The spot on my foot is 7mm across at the widest, usually it has to be over 6mm before it's considered a melanoma (from what I've read). I'm hoping that this means that if it is a melanoma it is a small, young one. I go in on Aug. 24th to have it cut out. Hopefully the doc will let me bring a camera. grin

-Blast

Posted by: Desperado

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/11/09 01:24 PM

You are in Houston, why not head for M.D.Anderson?
If anyone can tell you what is going on, it is those folks.
Posted by: UTAlumnus

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/12/09 02:02 AM

+1 on M.D. Anderson. They caught stuff our local MD missed.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/12/09 12:34 PM

I'm glad you caught it early! Glad to hear the dermatologist thinks it's a quick fix. Good luck with the procedure.
Posted by: Greg_Sackett

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/14/09 12:20 PM

Hey Blast,

Welcome to the skin cancer club. Us white boys that grew up in TX often have a problem with that. Fortunately, mine was just a basal cell carcinoma, which isn't terribly aggressive.

I got a cool scar on my back to show for it, and an annual appointment with my dermatologist for the rest of my life.

Hope your surgery goes well, and it doesn't keep you off your feet too long.

Greg
Posted by: samhain

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - 08/14/09 09:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up Blast. I've been mainly watching my neck, ears, forearms (areas that are most exposed to the sun.

I knew it could crop up anywhere but like a dummy I only look at the "hot spots"

Glad you caught it small.

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/26/09 11:43 AM

Okay, due to popular (not to mention sick and twisted) demand, pictures of my foot surgery are now up on my blog.

-Blast, a bloody example to others
Posted by: scafool

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/26/09 11:50 AM

ouch

they cut they eyeball out
Posted by: samhain

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/27/09 10:53 AM

Glad they got it Blast.

Good catch!
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/27/09 12:25 PM

Glad to hear that your surgery went well Blast.

I wish you a speedy and easy recovery!

Mike
Posted by: nurit

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/28/09 12:57 AM

Good wishes to you, Blast.

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/28/09 03:04 PM

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. The report came back clean, as far as the lab can tell the doc managed to remove everything. There is much joy in the Blast household!

-Blast
Posted by: paramedicpete

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/28/09 05:12 PM

That is great news grin.

Pete
Posted by: nurit

Re: CHECK YOUR FEET!! - The Pictures - 08/28/09 05:24 PM

Hooray!