11 Theoretical Dollars

Posted by: MoBOB

11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 03:31 AM

OK boys and girls, here is your assignment:

You are being given 11 Theoretical Dollars (TD). Take your TDs to local dollar store and "buy" some new stuff for your BOB or EDC. I was going to give you 10 TDs but I am giving an allowance for tax.

I am interested to see what was "purchased". Given the various interpretation of a BOB and EDC. Or you may choose to use this as a start for a kid's "just-in-case" kit. Feel free to post your "purchase". You may also provide a statement of why each item was purchased.

Have fun.

MoBOB
Posted by: JohnE

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 04:32 AM

Hmmm...

Ten bucks? Oops ten plus tax which is just about right here in California at the moment.

If it were for the kid, I'd try to find a Gerber LST knife for that much, I know I can get a Paraframe Jr. for $12.95 but that's over your limit.

For me, maybe an extra firesteel? Or another 4 way faucet wrench so I can keep one in the car and one in my urban EDC kit?

That's a tough one.
Posted by: Todd W

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 04:35 AM

Each item? Hehe, 11 TD where I live doesn't buy much frown

Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper would be what I purchase.
1 Unit -- $7.75
One of the most used (cheap) items on my EDC.

Fox Whistle - Price w/Shipping = rest of the $.
Not widely used, but super important for EDC, and when you need it you NEED it.

Posted by: comms

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 04:56 AM

Hey +1 on the Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers aka tweezers.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 05:16 AM

Probably a Tramontina bolo machete, what a fine tool for the money. Or maybe a Mora. If you look hard you might be able to get one in your price range. Many more options as far as tools go - hammer, crowbar, basic screwdriver set, wrench, wood saw/hacksaw etc.

$11 could buy a few days' worth of food (simple things like rice or pasta), a blanket, all sorts of second-hand (but still very useful) military surplus gear or clothing. Anything from pants and shirts to a poncho, small canvas backpack or shoulder bag.

Actually, it's pretty amazing what $11 can buy. It's even more amazing a lot of people in the Third World countries get by with just a dollar or two per day. Always good to keep things in a perspective...

Posted by: RoverOver

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 05:32 AM

A Threesome pkg. of Mini Vise grips & A cheapy Hollow handled Survival Knife w/variable contents in handle from ,Harbor Freight Tools-Standard Disclaimer applies!
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 08:41 AM

Hmmm.

This is an interesting game. I'll go to the Dollar Tree today if I get a chance and see what I can find.
Posted by: Kris

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 11:53 AM

Living in the caribbean, sunblock is uber important in your BOB or EDC (when outdoors). About 9 bucks buys you some half decent water/sweat proof 60+ SPF, and thats just enough where my Canadian skin doesn't burn in 30 mins!!!

The rest of the TD's would be for bottle water... if you look hard around here you can pick up 4 small bottles for 2 bucks.

Now i'm ready for the beach ;-)

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Kris
Living in the caribbean, sunblock is uber important in your BOB or EDC (when outdoors). About 9 bucks buys you some half decent water/sweat proof 60+ SPF, and thats just enough where my Canadian skin doesn't burn in 30 mins!!!

The rest of the TD's would be for bottle water... if you look hard around here you can pick up 4 small bottles for 2 bucks.

Now i'm ready for the beach ;-)

I figured 11TD would be good for an umbrella drink... wink
Posted by: benjammin

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 03:38 PM

For EDC, I need a new sewing kit, and some more butane for my lighters, and maybe a couple more AAA batts.

For BOB, I've no room left for any new stuff, so maybe I could replace some candles, get some new bottles of water to rotate the stock, maybe a couple powerbars or something like that. If they have decent enough wire ties I might grab a bag of those.

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 03:53 PM

How often do you use your sewing kit?

I have a speedy needle or whatever, and some thick thread and normal thread.. haven't used it once. But I can see it could be awesome if I did...

Posted by: Kris

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Todd W

I figured 11TD would be good for an umbrella drink... wink

Sounds about right with tip. Its not a bad way to start off a day!

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 07:55 PM

Not often, but I've had mine for a while now, and every so often I pop a button off, or tear a hem on my trousers, or who knows. It's time to replenish (I could just raid the wife's sewing supplies and replace the thread I've used and the needles I've lost and the safety pins I've bent up, but that's too easy I suppose).

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 07:55 PM

or end a day...

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/21/09 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: benjammin
Not often, but I've had mine for a while now, and every so often I pop a button off, or tear a hem on my trousers, or who knows. It's time to replenish (I could just raid the wife's sewing supplies and replace the thread I've used and the needles I've lost and the safety pins I've bent up, but that's too easy I suppose).

Gotcha.

Mostly wearing T-Shirts I haven't had those issues wink

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/22/09 01:30 AM

The key here is the local dollar (real) store (Dollar General, Dollar Bazaar, Dollar Tree and the like) to spend your TDs. I myself will go there tomorrow and complete my own assignment.

Standard Disclaimer
Posted by: Paul810

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/22/09 04:01 AM

The dollar store idea is a fun little experiment. If I had one nearby I would go try it out.

Out of curiosity, I made up a quick list of what I would buy if I could shop anywhere:

BSA Hotspark: $3
Military Surplus Style Canteen Cup: $5
Derma-Safe folding Razor Knife: $1.50
Small Aluminum Whistle: $1.50

I figure I could do pretty well for myself with those items totally about $11.

Another thing to keep in mind is a person could find a lot of useful items being given away for free in our socity. Things like like plastic bags, various bits of string/cord/wire, plastic bottles from bottled water/drinks, ketchup/mustard/salt/pepper/sugar/honey/other free condiments, tea bags, soap (either free hotel bars or fill a bottle with liquid soap from public restroom), toilet paper from public restrooms, paper towels, ect, ect.

It's prety amazing the stuff that one could find for free out there.
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/22/09 06:25 AM

I went to the Dollar Tree this afternoon during my lunch hour with the "Theoretical $11" in mind.

Here's what I came up with:

Water:
24 Ounce Water Bottle - $1.00

Fire:
Lighters (Set of 3) - $1.00
Alt. Magnifying Glasses (3 Plastic) - $1.00

Knife:
Utility Knife (5 Extra Blades) - $1.00

Light:
AA Standard Flashlight - $1.00
Alt. LED Flashlight - $1.00
Panasonic Batteries (For Light) - $1.00

Shelter:
Shower Curtain Liner (70"x70") - $1.00
Nylon Rope (110 LB Test) - $1.00
2 Lightweight Ponchos - $1.00

First Aid:
Mini First Aid Kit (42 Pieces) - $1.00

Signaling:
Compact Mirror - $1.00
Alt. Kid's Toy Whistle - $1.00

Not counting three of the items that fell under alternatives plus taxes the total comes to $10.50. I hope they offer a plastic bag to carry this stuff.

Having gone through that little exercise, which definitely made for a fun lunch break, I think that it needs to be said that I wouldn't expect much out of most of the equipment. After all, everything costs a dollar and looks like it was produced for a quarter. In one case, I skipped the Swiss Army Knife knockoff because it looked less reliable than the Utility Knife.

I would also try to test as much of it as possible in the store.

Things I skipped which could have come in handy were various Snack Foods, Floral Decorating Wire, Tweezers, Tylenol to go, Cotton Balls, Vaseline, Pens and Paper and a Metal Dog Bowl which could have been used to boil water.

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/22/09 02:28 PM

Wow.

I think you win on the most complete kit for 11TD.
Posted by: Blast

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/22/09 04:49 PM

Nicodemus,

That list is proof no one needs to be unprepared. Excellent job!

-Blast

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/22/09 08:25 PM

I agree..WOW! A little bit of thought goes a long way. Again, great list.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/24/09 01:59 PM

ok, here we go:

1.box of strike anywhere matches
2. pack of 6 unscented candles
3. medium kitchen knife
4, 5. "mess kit"
stainless pie pan and
stainless spoon, both of which are so cheap that they are
probably actually toxic.
6. pack of 5 snaplight necklaces. not bright enough for practical illumination but perfect for signaling/breadcrumbs. snapped one last night and it's still glowing. (i might clean em out of the things for Halloween treats. Candy is classic, but be the guy handing out free glow-sticks and you're instantly promoted to GOD.)

"first aid"
7. roll of gauze
8. duct tape
9. immodium
10. ibuprofin
Posted by: GarlyDog

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/24/09 02:50 PM

I think I would sneak a roll of TP in there somewhere.

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/24/09 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: GarlyDog
I think I would sneak a roll of TP in there somewhere.

Could we consider that 0TD since we could take it from home smile
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 07/25/09 01:23 AM

A six-pack of Ramen noodles ($2), six tins of sardines or Vienna sausages($1 ea), and a gallon of bottled water($2). Minimum food and water for three days.

I saw oatmeal on sale. Thirty servings for $1.99. So $10 gets you five months of breakfast. Or, assuming water is not an issue, you could drop the water in the above mix and add a canister of oatmeal.

A piece of scrap metal rod, or #2, pencil, reinforcing rod bent into handle and $4 of latex tubing and a couple of dollars of .25 or .375 steel BBs and your set for squirrel or rabbit. A 'Pocket Rocket' replacement set for $7 will get you the tubing and a leather pocket.

$5 will get you a reel of brown stainless steel wire that is sold as leader for salt water fishing. Great for snares. The other $5 might go for a cheap aluminum stew pot to efficiently cook what you catch and boil water.

I have seen both a fleece blanket and a 6' by 8' blue tarp on sale for $5 each. That makes a sleep roll, mild weather sleeping bag, shelter/ blanket system.

Large pillow case($2)and a hank of 1/4" nylon line($2)when combined makes a workable rucksack. Two liter bottles of discount soda ($4) gets you a couple of nice canteens. Canister of oatmeal($2 is a bland but workable diet for ten days.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: 11 Theoretical Dollars - 10/21/11 03:29 PM

Cheapie poncho (2 pack)
granola bars
Water bottle
sunscreen

first aid kit ( box o band-aids)
first aid or duct tape
generic immodium
generic ibuprofin

space blanket

$9