New GPS Device Suggestions.....

Posted by: Desperado

New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/28/09 05:12 PM

I know I am probably about to kick over the fire ant hill, but here goes.......

I am in the market for a new hand held GPS. I would like to be able to mount it on my Harley Davidson, but the HD GPS is OUT, due to cost ($800.00) and not really a dual use platform.

I really don't mind putting out the cash for a really good unit, because it is also for work, and can be written off that way.

I will be using it for Hiking, Work, and M/C Travel, but not in cars. All the family vehicles have GPS built in or a portable unit, plus my work Toughbook has GPS in the truck to go with the mounted unit.

I have been looking at several Garmin units, and am somewhat interested in the Rhino line of products, as I may eventually get one for each family member and Rhino solves several issues at once. (Position, Position Reporting, Mapping, Communications)

Due to the variety of uses, I need topo as well as street maps.

Thanks,

EDIT: Compatibility with MS Streets and Trips would be a HUGE plus.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/28/09 05:27 PM

Do most touch screens work well with gloves? When on the M/C, I always have leather or leather palmed gloves on.

Posted by: Todd W

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/28/09 05:39 PM

I`ve not been impressed with my Garmin's at all.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/28/09 06:07 PM

I bought the Sanyo Easy Street w/ touch screen
really love it

BTW $99.00 @ Radio Shack
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/28/09 06:08 PM

I've owned a Garmin Legend HCx for almost one year now and it has seen a fair bit of use, in the bush, on the road and as a navigation aid on my trips abroad. So far, it has met my expectations - it's a solid, reasonably priced unit, very versatile, expandable memory, whatnot. The receiver is pretty sensitive and reliable. The LCD screen is ok, could be a little bigger but that is the tradeoff you get with a compact design that fits easily in a pocket. I also appreciate the very long battery life plus it runs on commonly available AA batteries, which is a bonus.

I'd spent a lot of time and research before deciding on the Legend HCx unit but now I'm pretty much sure I made the best choice at the time. From what I've seen, no other major brand on the market comes close to Garmin once you take all the factors into account.

This is just my two cents. I'm no expert, I can only share my experience. Cost doesn't seem to be a major consideration to you (as it was to me) so you may be more inclined to look for a more expensive unit. There are plenty of products out there so picking the right one can get frustrating. IMO many technical specs don't matter all that much but the real priorities are the following: receiver sensitivity, intuitive interface, heavy-duty construction, battery life and expandable memory. In about that order of importance. Any extra features such as electronic compass or altimeter are optional and IME unnecessary (they also tend to drain the batteries faster). I feel many of the high-end units out there are a bit overloaded with bells and whistles. In that regard, spending more $ might not guarantee that much better actual performance in the field.

Good hunting and best of luck with your purchase!

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/28/09 09:01 PM

Magellan is the way to go from what I've read. I just haven't dropped the $ on one. I think I may soon though especially if we start backpacking more, would be fun to record our trip and plot on the computer smile
Posted by: Russ

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Todd W
Magellan is the way to go from what I've read. I just haven't dropped the $ on one. I think I may soon though especially if we start backpacking more, would be fun to record our trip and plot on the computer smile

I do that for everything. It's extremely addictive.

I've done that with all my Garmin units -- GPS V, Geko 301, GPSMAP 60CSx and Nuvi 760. I'll stick w/ Garmin for compatibility with the software that's already on the computer.
Posted by: widget

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 02:00 AM

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx and have used it for road trips, backpacks and for some training outings. I have not had a single problem with the GPS or the software. I have the Street Navigator software, the 1:100,000 Topo package and the newer 1:24,000 of the SW states. All have been very usable. I have had the unit for at least 3 years.

I also have a Nuvi 255W with a touch screen for the autos and have not used it yet. I can see advantages to an auto unit for the car however, I would not trade my Map60Cx for any other model. I choose it over the CSx because I see no need for the electronic compass and the battery life was a little better on the Cx. I do not like the new touchscreen handhelds at all and can see no advantage with them. I prefer the positive function of buttons that do not need a screen change to implement.

Maybe I am old school, I don't like iPhones either:)
Posted by: KenK

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 11:38 AM

Huh, I've been using Garmins for a long time now - maybe 10 years or more - and I really like them ... and ALL of them still work like the day I got them.

Let's see, I have a Garmin GPS III+, a Gecko 201, a Gecko 301 (actually my son's), and my wonderful GPSMAP 60Sx.

My son still uses the III+ when he wants mapping.

The Geocache forum seems sold on Garmins, especially the 60CSx (not the latest fanciest GPS, but a rock solid performer that has yet to be equaled).

My recommendation is to get a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx or a 76CSx (the same "guts" - just a different form factor).

Ken K.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 12:49 PM

I should add that the Delorme units are getting more and more good reviews in the Geocache forum too. I have had NO experience with that unit so I can't comment on it.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 01:53 PM

Thanks everyone so far.

Still have not heard any Rhino specific info, or any that are compatible with MS Streets and Trips.

Any ideas???
Posted by: unimogbert

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Thanks everyone so far.

Still have not heard any Rhino specific info, or any that are compatible with MS Streets and Trips.

Any ideas???

I've had 6 Garmin GPS units. 5 of them have been trouble-free (so far). GPS-40, 45, 12XL, eTrex,Rino110, Rino130. I use them overwhelmingly for hiking with rare other use in the car or on motorcycle.

The Rino110 has had 2 failures. 1st quickly fixed under warranty (internal short killing batteries), 2nd in progress now (navigation button/stick has dead positions). A Rino130 will move into it's place and we'll see how it fares with use.

Rinos don't use touchscreen though it could probably be manipulated with thin gloves.

I have no experience with mapping s/w other than Garmin's MapSource. My interest is in topo rather than streets.

I would not hard-mount any GPS to motorcycle handlebars unless I saw in the mfr's spec that it was specifically shock and vibration resistant. That's a really tough environment to survive.

When I use GPS on my rides my unit rides under the clear vinyl on the top of my tankbag. I can see it but pushing buttons isn't too good.

Posted by: drahthaar

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 04:46 PM

I like the Garmin 60csx that I have. It's been trouble free for about two years and it is very good at signal acquisition.

It's the 4th Garmin that I have had over a 10 year period and none have ever failed me. I just upgraded every few years.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 06:21 PM

The only thing I don't like about the 60CSx is that it isn't spec'd for lithium AA batteries. I routinely get satellite lock inside buildings and under foliage canopy.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: Todd W

I do that for everything. It's extremely addictive.

I've done that with all my Garmin units -- GPS V, Geko 301, GPSMAP 60CSx and Nuvi 760. I'll stick w/ Garmin for compatibility with the software that's already on the computer.

I`m not saying you can't do that with garmin.

My garmin's have had terrible reception issues in cloud cover, light trees, snow, etc, if I was lost they didn't help. Playing around they were no use. Thus no good.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/29/09 08:55 PM

Still no MS Streets and Trips info huh?
Posted by: falcon5000

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/30/09 02:36 AM

Garmin has 2 new units coming out to replace the e-trex series the Dakota™ and the Oregon 550. The Dakota looks promising and the new Oregon 550 series was suppose to correct the back light being to dim issue. I like my E-trex HCX but the screen is small but mine has been good to me, it had to be changed out (Garmin replaced it for free after the warranty!) when something caused the rubber to come loose while traveling overseas and I was using 100% deet daily so I was thinking the deet may have done it but no failures in the field, just a little loose rubber.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

Dakota 20
Posted by: sodak

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 06/30/09 10:28 PM

I have an older model Garmin eTrex, I'm not impressed at all. Takes forever to get a lock, and light tree cover is too much for it. You carry it upright, and it loses the satellites.

I like their models, but I'll have to read a whole LOT of stellar reviews before I trust Garmin again.
Posted by: Lono

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 02:37 AM

I haven't had a real use for GPS, but am thinking of getting one for some informal elevation surveys - stand on a doorstep at potential shelter X, find out its elevation, compare it to expected river elevation. Not so critical where I am, just to know how high I am above sea / river level several miles away from the river. Would any of these models be more accurate in terms of measuring elevation? +/- 3-6 feet could be a big deal here.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 10:08 AM

For elevation I'd go with a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. It has a sensitive receiver which allows it to receive and use more satellites in order to do the math. It also has a barometric altimeter, but +/- 3-6 feet though is well within tolerance of even the best.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 01:10 PM

Thanks Russ. I've heard nothing but good things about the 60CSX in this and other forums, sounds worth a try.
Posted by: Tom_L

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 01:36 PM

Quote:
I have an older model Garmin eTrex, I'm not impressed at all. Takes forever to get a lock, and light tree cover is too much for it. You carry it upright, and it loses the satellites.

Be glad it's not a comparable Magellan model. I've seen folks who bought a Magellan, ran into all the problems you just mentioned, only sometimes they couldn't even get anything near full functionality out of their units because the software was so crappy.

No brand is perfect but based on all the feedback I've heard, nothing comes close to Garmin.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: sodak

I like their models, but I'll have to read a whole LOT of stellar reviews before I trust Garmin again.

There is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference between the older GPS chipsets and the new high sensitivity chipsets used by Garmin (and others).

Its really quite stunning. Quick locks and they can lock in with a very limited view of the sky - I've been able to get locks in the middle of the lower floor of my house!!

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 02:08 PM

What sold me was being inside an REI toward the back of the store under a solid roof and getting a lock. The only glass was at the front of the store about 20-25 yards. Not only did it lock but the location was close enough to call correct.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 04:21 PM

D'OH! I just remembered this morning while rustling through the center console in my car, I found the USB GPS receiver that came with Streets and Maps, and it uses the same chipset as the 60CSx, so until it proves otherwise I'll use that (with laptop) instead of getting a new $285 GPS. It had my mean elevation in my driveway correct, we'll see how it does with different places.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK

There is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference between the older GPS chipsets and the new high sensitivity chipsets used by Garmin (and others).

Its really quite stunning. Quick locks and they can lock in with a very limited view of the sky - I've been able to get locks in the middle of the lower floor of my house!!

+1. I have one of the older eTrex models and reception stinks in any conditions where I actually needed it. Mine got carried about twice and then left in a drawer. I have a couple of much newer Garmin GPS units and they should be embarrassed to wear the same name as the old one. Even my Garmin Nuvi 750 with no external antenna routinely gets a lock from inside my house. Any type of terrain or trees made my old eTrex worthless.
Posted by: sodak

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: KenK

Impressive. I guess I'm so sour on Garmin I just don't want to give them any more money. Fool me once, and all that.

But I definitely need a new one. I might start looking around. CSX, you all say...

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/01/09 09:38 PM

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/19/09 09:31 PM

Bringing this one back to discuss an incident with my 60CSx. On a trip to the east coast and it died. Not dead dead, just wouldn't receive any GPS sat signals. . . Hmmm. Emailed Garmin and they sent me to a menu I hadn't seen before that was showing software version 0.00 . . . Hmmm again.

20 minutes later I'd updated all the system software from Garmin's website using their Updater. When I took it outside I soon had lock on seven satellites with two more being processed -- working great again. I have no explanation for why it dumped software, but it was an easy fix.

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/19/09 11:49 PM

Was your GPS satellite user fee paid and up-to-date?

Just kidding. Wow, rarely does it seem like a GPS problem can be fixed with a software update. Congratulations!

Re: New GPS Device Suggestions..... - 07/20/09 12:03 AM

First time it happened and fortunately it wasn't critical. I still had the GPS's map function, just no GPS input to the map.