This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC

Posted by: Erik_B

This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/06/09 07:03 PM

at least that what HE thinks. laugh

http://www.fraggedformysins.com/2008/09/pocketses/

[imagine the tone getting higher and more breathless as you read this for the proper effect]
I realize that what WE consider a normal level of EDC is going to be different from the average person on the street, but i couldn't help but laugh at this. Most here probably carry more in a single pocket than this guy carries TOTAL... and he thinks it's a huge load.
:lolhammer:
Posted by: wildman800

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/06/09 07:14 PM

IMO, none of this is EDC because it's what everyone carries just to get through the average day.
Posted by: ironraven

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/07/09 01:24 AM

Erik, I'm just not sure how to respond to that young man.

I weighed mine today. Excluding the pen, notebook, pocket knife, and anything else sharp, pointy, or likely to go bang that I might or might not have on my person, my EDC bag is almost 8 pounds.

Actually, I do know what I to say to him, but Chris and Martin would yell at me afterwards.
Posted by: Russ

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/07/09 01:23 PM

He seems like an ultra-light city type guy that doesn't want to carry anything but a credit card. It's not about EDC as in preparedness, it's about "look at all this stuff I have to carry". He's just whining.
Posted by: erehwon

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/07/09 01:56 PM

Well, that is someone I'd have to carry extra crap for to rescue in an urban situation.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/08/09 12:01 AM

If he is moaning and groaning about "all the stuff" he has to carry, then you do not need to waste your supplies and efforts on him. Let him become McGyver (spelling?) and rescue his own sorry backside. It is true he is not preparedness-minded. Maybe someone should send a "courtesy subscription" to this site.

BTW Ironraven, what are you carrying that adds up to eight pounds?
Posted by: ironraven

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/08/09 01:20 AM

Two pounds and pocket change worth of water, Nalgene, and cup.

A very small tool kit, about 9-10oz.

A very small fak, about 6oz

Cell phone, AA-powered charger, SAK, Leatherman, little Fenix, Surefire, some spare batteries, MP3 player, a couple thumb drives, pair of work gloves, call all that about two pounds.

Wallet, checkbook, roll of quarters, some pens and pencils, note pad, county road map, aa couple of takeout menus, keys, a chunk of paracord, some wire, a couple zip ties, a few inches of bycycle tube, tiny roll of duct tape and a PSK rounds out the rest.
Posted by: Eugene

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/08/09 10:26 AM

Checkbook and roll of quarters for EDC? If you still think checks are useful at least slim that down to a couple n your wallet.
I'm been working for a big bank now for 5 years and got my free checking account back when I started and the box of free checks. I had to shred all those when we moved and had only used one or two and one of them was just so I could see what the image looked like in the check image system.
I requested new checks when we moved and haven't used one yet and we've been here almost a year now.
Posted by: samhain

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/08/09 02:13 PM

I don't know what the young man considers prepared.

Just weighed my stuff:

EDC Messenger (man bag): 6 pounds

EDC stuff in my pockets and on my belt: 3 pounds.

Not counting a water bottle.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/08/09 08:51 PM

Didn't think about a length of bicycle tube before except for firestarter. Nice bit'o'swag.
Posted by: Erik_B

Re: This Guy Needs to Slim Down His EDC - 06/10/09 10:25 AM

i got bored and weighed my winter EDC(all my regualr stuff plus what i can fit into my leather jacket) and it came to 20 pounds including the jacket(an A2 bomber from Wilson's).