Vacume Packaging

Posted by: Anonymous

Vacume Packaging - 09/05/02 10:11 PM

Does anyone have experience with vacume packaging machines. There are many on the market, with many price tags. I would like one that could use generic bags instead of the special order only bags. I don't even Consumer Reports hasn tackled this one yet. Suggestions will be greatly appreciated.<br><br>Bruce

Re: Vacume Packaging - 09/24/02 05:15 PM

I have experience with the Tilia FoodSaver machine for household use and it works well. The basic model goes for about $100. I would recommend it. I haven't seen or used any others.<br><br>I believe the special bags are necessary for any vacuum-packing system because the surface texture creates air passages that allows the air to escape the bag. I don't think the concept would work with ordinary bags.

Re: Vacume Packaging - 09/25/02 01:41 AM

My deer sausage comes in smooth bags that look like thin ziploc material. But of course their machine is about $10,000.00. Guess I'll have to do a little more research.<br><br>Thanks

Re: Vacume Packaging - 09/26/02 03:38 PM

Good point, the commercially vacuum-packaged products don't use the textured bags. They must have a machine that works on a different principle than the Tilia. I guess I don't understand how those work, but when you use a Tilia, you can see how it is necessary in that sort of machine. Maybe the commercial method has somethingn to do with packing in liquid.<br><br>I find that a roll of bag stock from WalMart lasts a very, very long time and I haven't found the cost of bags to be a problem. Trying to use Zip lock-style bags with a vacuum-sealer would probably cost more.<br><br>The real hurdle for me was the initial cost of the machine, which I still think is a bit high for my needs, but it's a great gadget.<br><br>Good luck.
Posted by: billvann

Re: Vacume Packaging - 09/26/02 08:19 PM

Here's a link to Goodman's that shows different models.