Cold War preparedness

Posted by: LED

Cold War preparedness - 05/03/09 07:56 AM

Hadn't stopped by the the civildefensemuseum page in a while and there's lots of new photos from 2008-2009. A couple of things got my attention. Lucky for us disater preps have moved beyond survival biscuits and "a quart of water per day" as a recommended survival ration. Oh, and the X-Ray "Apparatus" made me laugh for some reason. I do like the fiberboard/plastic water storage idea though. wink

main page

"Quart of water per day" poster

mobile hospital
Posted by: Nicodemus

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/03/09 05:05 PM

That's a pretty interesting site.

Thanks for the link!
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/03/09 05:17 PM

I also agree with it being an interesting site. I've bookmarked it to look at closer.
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/03/09 06:50 PM

I connected to your link and automatically 'duck and covered' underneath my computer table.
Posted by: barbakane

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/04/09 02:43 AM

I call it "duck and cinder".
Posted by: wildman800

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/04/09 03:30 AM

I avoid "Duck and Cinder" by not living near a target!
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/04/09 12:34 PM

If there is anywhere I want to be during a nuclear strike, it's going to be at ground zero. That way I won't feel a thing, won't suffer, and won't be around for the chaos afterwards.
Posted by: MoBOB

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/04/09 02:19 PM

I actually have an unopened 37lb "tin" of the carbohydrate supplement (rock candy) that has a sealed date of August 1968. Haven't found a need to open it.

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/04/09 09:35 PM

IIRC, the estimated underground time was anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. The only food I've seen stocked has been those emergency biscuits, and the ingredients are pretty standard as far as crackers go. I've always wondered, wouldn't constipation become a serious problem after only a few days?
Posted by: oldsoldier

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/05/09 12:35 AM

There was an old shelter near where I grew up. It was fenced in, but we dug underneath it. The place had the big drums of drinking water (WAY beyond shelf life), broken radio peices, and a rack of overcoats and CD helmets. We each took an overcoat & helmet. They were horrible, musty things, but we were kids....and the shelter was LONG since abandoned. I recently drove by it, its since ben razed & had houses built over it.

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/05/09 04:25 AM

Lucky you. I'm sure that was an experience you'll never forget. BTW, if anyone's interested there's a great writeup with comparison photos from 1956/2006 by a former Nike missle base crewmember from the LA-88 Oat Mt. location on Nike Historical Society webpage . Didn't realize LA alone had 16 Nike sites, with about half of those later upgraded to the nuke-laden Hercules interceptor. Someday I'm hoping to visit the decommissioned Nike museum in San Franciso, apparently the only one left in the US. Anyone here ever been there?

Nike Historical Society main page
Posted by: massacre

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/06/09 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: ki4buc
If there is anywhere I want to be during a nuclear strike, it's going to be at ground zero. That way I won't feel a thing, won't suffer, and won't be around for the chaos afterwards.

I have a feeling this is the default thinking for many folks, and will almost certainly contribute to a lot of the panic, chaos and FUD if it happens; few make preparations when they want and expect the worst to hit directly. I'm not questioning you personally ki4buc (hey, you visit here - so I assume you're better off than most!), but what happens if such a person weren't a target, but close enough to feel the aftereffects of either a man made or natural disasters?

There's a whole lot bad that can be said about those forgone days, but I do wish that all communities kept up at least a semblance of preparedness when it comes to facilities, food and water, etc. instead of just medical (which rarely is driven by the community itself).

The real problem during catastrophic failure of civilization is not the initial devastation, but the throngs of survivors with little to no preparation after the fact. This, in turn, leads to a usurpation, or at least the attempt, of the supplies and facilities of the prepared via mob violence, theft, or even martial law. It's relatively cheap to setup and maintain supplies and encourage individuals to do the same. But that's not sexy and it's hard to sell that on the news like a pandemic, eh?

We don't have to look far for examples in our own back yard. At least we seem to have improved our medical emergency responsiveness, but many on the inside will tell you of the fragility of the system. And really, outside of the red cross, we have FEMA - a laughing stock to most and a horrible scourge to many. ;-) If they are going to spend my tax money, I just wish they would do it effectively.

I was flabbergasted when I recently heard the medical professionals on TV stating that one of the best things people can do to help with the swine flu is to be prepared... have day-care lined up, have food and medical supplies stocked up in case you need to bunker down for a week or two. I would love to see more of that clear-headed thinking on TV. Who's for PSAs encouraging people to store months worth of food and water, visit sites such as this and the government run ones for lists and recommendations?
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/06/09 12:34 PM

Originally Posted By: massacre
Originally Posted By: ki4buc

I have a feeling this is the default thinking for many folks, and will almost certainly contribute to a lot of the panic, chaos and FUD if it happens; few make preparations when they want and expect the worst to hit directly. I'm not questioning you personally ki4buc (hey, you visit here - so I assume you're better off than most!), but what happens if such a person weren't a target, but close enough to feel the aftereffects of either a man made or natural disasters?

My response was the "avoid living near a target". I'd rather live near one, close enough to get zapped. Then again, what if I'm on vacation and not at home? A lot of people (including myself) fail to adequately prepare for things while on vacation. You cannot really conceivably take everything, but you can prepare somewhat.

For the current pandemic, I've been encouraging people that live in NYC (or anywhere really) to have 2 to 4 weeks of dry food (beans and rice, some nice preservative loaded processed snacks that are shelf stable for multiple lifetimes. wink ) if it got really bad. Things might be closed, or you won't want to go out. At least one person who thought my idea was B.S. 6 months ago to have 72 hour kit suddenly thinks it's not such a bad idea to be prepared. Especially when I said "what if they close stores either to a) prevent spread or b) all of the staff is sick?".

Just prepare for interruptions in obtaining goods and services. That means, keep stocked up, visit the doctor or dentist as soon as you can to take care of issues, etc. Carpe Diem!
Posted by: Arney

Re: Cold War preparedness - 05/06/09 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: LED
Someday I'm hoping to visit the decommissioned Nike museum in San Franciso...Anyone here ever been there?

I just saw an episode of the show, Cities of the Underworld, on the History Channel about the museum. Interesting episode. Amazing that it's all preserved and still working. On the show, they even opened the blast doors, raised the missile racks and tilted them up to launch position. Scary to think of what even just one of those nuclear tipped missiles could do.