Car Travel Question with Gun

Posted by: paramedicpete

Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/07/09 01:25 PM

Question:

All the talk of the Ruger 10/22 got me interested in picking one up from Cabela’s during their sale this week. My family and I are headed to L.I. Long Island, NY) to visit family and friends for Easter weekend and thought I would stop Cabela’s by on our way up and make the purchase. My question: The gun will be in the original box, presumably, I can have a trigger lock installed before we leave the store, the gun will remain in our rear storage area of our mini-van. To get to L. I., we will be traveling though parts of N.Y.C. (Bronx and Queens), as well as Nassau and Suffolk Counties, should I have any concern over violating any laws?

Pete
Posted by: KG2V

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/07/09 06:03 PM

Federal law - so long as you go non stop from a point where it's legal for you to own, to a place where it's legal to own, and it's locked in the trunk, you're good to go - I'd put a trigger lock on anyway
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/07/09 07:35 PM

If you had a sedan with a trunk inaccessible from the passenger compartment, I wouldn't worry. Driving a minivan, where the storage area is part of the cabin, makes me think I'd wait until the return trip to pick up the gun. Especially going through the NYC area, if you happen to get pulled over for something otherwise innocuous.
Posted by: haertig

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/07/09 08:27 PM

Watch your ammo too. Isn't it NYC that bans hollowpoints? Or was that Washington D.C.? I can't remember.
Posted by: KenK

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/07/09 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: KG2V_was_kc2ixe
Federal law - so long as you go non stop from a point where it's legal for you to own, to a place where it's legal to own, and it's locked in the trunk, you're good to go - I'd put a trigger lock on anyway

... except for national parks (per the other thread).

Seriously, by definition, in national parks, possession of a gun, bow, ... equals hunting, whether in use or not.

One needs to know the laws. Your gun store should know the applicable law in that area.

In Illinois the gun has to be unloaded, in a case/shipping box, or other container specifically design to carry a gun - and I have to have a Firearm Owner Identification (FOID) card.

Apparently the criminal law just says the gun must be not immediately accessable or in a non-functioning state, but the wildlife law says it must be unloaded and in a case.
Posted by: Russ

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/07/09 10:15 PM

IIRC, New Jersey has the ban on hollow-point ammo.

paramedicpete should have no issue as long as the gun is not readily accessible. Seal that original box with strapping tape; gift wrapping would help too as it would make the box just a box.

Don't take anything you read here as legal advice, IANAL.

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/08/09 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: haertig
Watch your ammo too. Isn't it NYC that bans hollowpoints? Or was that Washington D.C.? I can't remember.

That's New Jersey
Posted by: big_al

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/12/09 12:46 AM

Pete:
Buy it in the way there, let it stay in the store, pick it up on the way home. Or call the local police and ask them, they schould know the laws in that area.

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/13/09 01:25 PM

Thanks to all that replied.

We had to return yesterday, on Easter Sunday and the store was closed. I called the store last Wednesday to see if the gun was I stock, the clerk checked the computer and said there were several in stock, but when she looked the on-display availability she said they were out. We visited the store on Thursday as we headed to NY and asked the counter clerk to check the availability; they went into the stock area and found one.

I decided to chance the purchase and subsequent travel through NYC (Queens, Bronx), no problems. The reason I figured this should be okay, is there are hunters on L.I. that must travel though NYC (Queens, Bronx) to head up state to go hunting, I never heard of any issues, so took the chance. Nice gun by the way, can’t wait to take it to the range.

Pete
Posted by: SwampDonkey

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/13/09 03:04 PM

Hey Pete,

Which version of the Ruger 10/22 did you buy?

Mike

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/13/09 04:19 PM

The stainless steel with synthetic stock version.

Pete
Posted by: big_al

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/13/09 06:10 PM

Pete:
congraduation on your new weapon I am sure you will enjoy it and I am speaking of the eperance I have has with the one I have. may i suggest that you get an extended Mag. release.

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/13/09 06:44 PM

Unfortunately, here in Maryland we are limited to 10 round magazines. Unless are you talking about rotary nature of the magazine that comes with the gun? I did buy an extra 10 round magazine so at least I have 2.

Pete
Posted by: RayW

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/13/09 11:07 PM

The extended magazine release replaces the stock button release. Instead of pushing up on a button you now have a lever to push. Hope that makes sense. Here is a link,

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=670736

Standard disclaimer applies, it was the first site i noticed with one.

There are also different shapes for the lever, so do a little research. You might want to shoot it for a while and then start modifying your rifle. Everything on a 10-22 can be changed, so if you don't like the function of something there is a modified part out there.

For mine i changed the stock. The barrel, 22" tapered s/s, don't like the look of the bull barrels that are popular with the target crowd. Mine will shoot five shot strings inside of your thumb nail at 50 yards with wally world ammo. Also added the extended mag release, the easy to use bolt release, and a new drop in trigger kit. The trigger kit reduces the trigger pull to 2 lbs. So don't ask me how much my $80 pawn shop rifle really cost me.

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/14/09 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Unfortunately, here in Maryland we are limited to 10 round magazines. Unless are you talking about rotary nature of the magazine that comes with the gun? I did buy an extra 10 round magazine so at least I have 2.

Pete

NYC limits us to a special 5 round Mag that Ruger makes - getting caught with a 10 round "standard" mag can get you 3 years. To register a 10/22, you have to prove you own a 5 round mag!!
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/17/09 10:55 AM

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete

Pete

NYC limits us to a special 5 round Mag that Ruger makes - getting caught with a 10 round "standard" mag can get you 3 years. To register a 10/22, you have to prove you own a 5 round mag!!

Yikes! I hadn't heard of the five round limit. I guess tube fed semi-auto .22s are out or is there some sort of "plug" available to reduce the capacity of the magazine?

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/17/09 01:48 PM

Nope, tube feed is fine for some reason (afaik)
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/17/09 02:38 PM

Geez, sounds rather pointless.

It would make sense if they demanded that the 10/22 mag be permanently attached so you couldn't 1) slap in a magazine of larger capacity or 2) perform a quick reload with a second magazine.

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/17/09 06:03 PM

You are assuming that anyone in NYC Government is LOGICAL
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/17/09 06:21 PM

You are assuming that anyone in NYC Government is LOGICAL

I know what happens when someone begins to assume.

Re: Car Travel Question with Gun - 04/19/09 12:08 AM

You also live in NYC, so you know the logical fallicy of "Logic" and NYC