New Zealand: Input please

Posted by: Packman

New Zealand: Input please - 03/30/09 05:28 PM

Hello all,

Work will likely take me to New Zealand sometime in the next year to year and a half. I'd like anyone who's been there (and hopefully we have someone who's FROM there on here...) to please chime in with any impressions. My stay would be about a year long on the short end, with the potential to become a permanent relocation. Input from any pilots would be much appreciated as well!

A bit of my background:
-I'm a male in my 20's
-From South Florida
-I'm a pilot here, and will likely be working as a pilot in NZ

What I'm looking for:
-How are Americans recieved?
-Particular pitfalls/gotchas
-What to do/where to go
-Information on the Aviation industry
-Anything else useful

Thanks much! (Pics are appreciated too, if they're helpful)

Packman
Posted by: benjammin

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/30/09 06:34 PM

New Zealand is about the same socially as much of Australia. I worked with a number of "Kiwi's" while in Brisbane (Kiwi is what Australians call anyone from NZ. Although you might here that title a lot, don't use it unless you are on friendly terms with the person you are addressing. It's like calling an Aussie bloke and "Ocker", or an American a "Dumb Yank"), and they are all good mates. Americans are considered a bit of a novelty still down there, but it is getting better than it was. Learn to drink beer any time of day, be interested in Rugby and Cricket, and use a lot of American slang. If you can stand it, try and develop a taste for Marmite (as close as you can get to vegemite these days, thanks to our stupid import laws).

If you have a chance and you think you are into it, sea kayaking around the north end of the islands is really fantastic. Also, if you can chance to get any sort of hunting in, the red stag there are almost the size of elk, and it is quite an experience.

Fishing down there is going to be excellent.
Posted by: Dagny

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/30/09 07:57 PM

New Zealand is the one country on Earth I'd leave America for in a heartbeat.

If you value friendliness, spectacular terrain (mountains, beaches and desert), clean environment (we confidently drank unfiltered water out of a river on the South Island)and a laid-back lifestyle then you will adore New Zealand.

If you love sailing, you'll be delighted. If you love mountain climbing (Sir Edmund Hillary was New Zealand's most famous citizen, he honed his mountaineering skills on the South Island) you're in the right place. If you like daredevil adventures, the South Island, especially Queenstown, is your playground (they invented bungee jumping, jet boats and a variety of other activities).

From the subtropical beaches, volcanic landscapes and lush green rolling hills of the North Island to the rugged "Southern Alps" and fjords I felt New Zealand was heaven on Earth when I spent a month there a decade ago.

South Island cuisine is more British influenced than the North Island (where there is more of a Polynesian influence -- research the Maori). Loved the dairy and lamb. Couldn't find a decent salad (iceberg lettuce - ick).

Other than the lettuce, I have only great things to say about New Zealand. You are very, very fortunate if you have the opportunity to spend time there. Good luck!
Posted by: LED

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/31/09 08:41 AM

Don't have any input but based on the replies so far I sure as hell wanna go there. Actually its been on my trip list for quite a while. Sounds like a wonderful opportunity you have.
Posted by: Jesselp

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/31/09 11:37 AM

Aha, the person who got my preferred screen name before I did!

My wife and I spent our honeymoon in New Zealand. While we were only there for two weeks, I can say that there are few places I can think of that offer so many different outdoor adventures packed into such a small place. Stunning scenery, good wine, good food, great tramping (what they call hiking), sea kayacking, fishing, sailing, hunting (most game has no hunting seasons, as all the big game animals are "invasive species"), climbing, etc. We seriously considered moving there we liked it so much!

People were friendly, dollar (US) was strong, beer was good. You'll have to learn to drive on the other side of the road, but we had no trouble circumnavigating the whole south island by car, and seeing a good bit of the north as well.

I don't know much about the aviation industry, but we encountered several helicopter pilots making a living shuttling tourists up onto the Fax and Franz Joseph Glaciers. No idea what kind of a living, but they seemed to enjoy it.

I'd jump at the chance to move there if I had a job offer!
Posted by: Packman

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/31/09 12:55 PM

Ok, great. Much as I figured, so far. I knew the dollar exchange rate was good. I was particularly curious as to how Americans were viewed.

Benjammin, when you say Americans are a "novelty," I take it you mean there aren't very many of them in the area?

It looks like the sports have a great deal to offer down there. I'm a very outdoors kind of guy, so much of the adventuring sounds particularly appealing.

Thanks everyone, for the input. Keep it coming!
Posted by: MedB

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/31/09 02:28 PM

Given the nature of this forum, I will simply say this to a man moving to the land of kiwis...

... be single.

Enjoy your stay,
Posted by: Chris Kavanaugh

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/31/09 06:19 PM

We have, or had a forum member from NZ who is also active in the kayak association there. Their website has a excellent philosophy summed up as ' buy the very best equipment you can, but never decide to go out based solely on owning it.'

NZ is somewhat more reserved than it's more boisterous OZ brother, still relaxed and courteous.
Posted by: Andy

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 03/31/09 07:43 PM

Have't been myself but my DD2 spent a month there last year. However two weeks were spent in a hosital in Christchurch having surgeries to cure an infection she picked up in Fiji. But her general impressions were highly favorable. The scenary is spectacular, the citizen's mostly pretty friendly and the hospital staff competent.

One interesting practice is that tourists often go to car sales held by private sellers, buy a used card to drive around the island then re-sell at the end of the stay. Actually cheaper than renting a car if you staying for a while. Their car was broken into, however, so petty crime does exist.

She did run into American ex-pats, one an ER doc, the other owned a tourist farm outside of CC.

If you go, don't forget to register with the US consulate or embassy closest to you. The ACS (American Citizens Services) bureau was very helpful during her hospital stay and even contacted the airline to try to arrange for more comfortable accomodations for the trip back to the states. The airline was not accommodating, however -- Air Fiji.

And, oh yes, lots of sheep...
Posted by: tonyb

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/16/09 04:06 PM

Giday mate, I might be of some help here, a little background first.

Kiwi born and left for Australia at 20 yrs of age. NewZealand was a fantastic place to grow up, the move to Australia for me was good (much warmer) smile

Much of what people have said here is spot on and you will have no problems getting on with the locals and remember just be yourself also chicks dig the acsent, it's got me why but they just do.

Another thing dont eat that Marmite crap it's discusting nothing like the real Vegimite, trick is to spread it on very thin.

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/16/09 04:49 PM

"Another thing dont eat that Marmite crap it's discusting nothing like the real Vegimite, trick is to spread it on very thin."

Yep, marmite is nothing like Vegemite, which I much prefer. For us yanks unfortunatey, we can't get Vegemite in the states, but marmite is still sold here.

It does take us Yanks a while to get used to it, especially for breakfast, but if you start with toast in the afternoon with plenty of butter and a little Vegemite on top you can manage.

One thing I discovered is Vegemite is a wonderful addition to pot roast. Spread some atop the roast prior to cooking, and it adds a lovely taste and aroma that is quite appealing (compare it to beer basting roast with a bit of seasoning salt added to the basting sauce). That might be the best way to get introduced to the pleasure of consuming Vegemite.

Also, you've got to try their L&P soda. It is a tad too sweet for my taste, but it's a big hit with the Kiwis.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/16/09 06:23 PM

Quote:
Another thing dont eat that Marmite crap it's discusting nothing like the real Vegimite, trick is to spread it on very thin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHbpTrFPc7Y&feature=related laugh

Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/16/09 07:25 PM

you might want to think about adding the Veg or Marmite to your list of survival items..i was under the impression it;s something they came up with in the old days to add to the OZ diet of mutton and whatever.sort of like Wonderbread did for rickets in the American South..
Posted by: tonyb

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/17/09 03:46 AM

Ok here we go I’m going to spill my guts here mate but firstly don’t shoot the messenger and don’t take this as the populace , done a little research today and contacted relatives and some old mates who are still living in Kiwi land I asked them the question ‘how do you perceive Americans in your country’.
From the information received I have concluded that from a group of 25 people living in New Zealand that Americans in another country have the perception of being loud, aggressive and demanding.
Now this is where it gets really weird, I asked them have you personally met Americans and most of them said no, ……ok next question was well how do you know they are like this, “oh from what I’ve heard on the media, movies and what I have read and that time uncle Bill met one down South ages ago”!!! aren’t people to easy to judge without firsthand knowledge, go figure.
From this I think attitude is important here, I would be doing everything to downplay this image the minute you open your mouth you are going to be judged as an American and that judgment stays with that listening and observing individual and is often passed around to their family and friends. If you’re going to be there for a while go out of your way to be polite as possible and as friendly as possible and smile, that will throw them back.
Now saying all this when I go back to visit my relatives and friends I absolutely cop a bagging, being a naturalized Australian they think gives them the right to put down our Country and national footy team (who gives a rats I don’t even follow footy) and my Aussie ascent, people can be very cruel but I’ve always got a good come back… ha.

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/17/09 01:29 PM

Yes, there is that general perception of us. I find that a little quick generosity (such as buying the first few rounds at the pub for all your mates), combined with a little self deprecating humor and paying genuine interest in what the locals say gets you in good stead and quickly overcomes the stereotype.

For the most part, I find that if you show genuine interest in others, even if in a somewhat hostile environment, you will eventually be judged by most on how you act, and the stereotype falls away quickly. It may be a challenge initially to overcome, but usually there's always someone willing to give you a chance, and once others see how you interact, they tend to change their opinions fairly easily. You've just got to bear in mind you are a guest and it mostly falls on you to reach out to the local population and for you to take the initiative to try and get along.

When I was in the Navy, I was appalled at how many of the sailors would carry on during port call. Not everyone was so bad, but enough were that it really cast aspersions on the rest of us to the point where we are perceived exactly as the stereotype described. I suspect it's gotten better over time, but things like that don't get forgotten quickly.
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: New Zealand: Input please - 04/17/09 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is that general perception of us. I find that a little quick generosity (such as buying the first few rounds at the pub for all your mates), combined with a little self deprecating humor and paying genuine interest in what the locals say gets you in good stead and quickly overcomes the stereotype.

And remember to not mention the Alamo and ask what the pentagram on the wall of the pub is for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu_2likGlok whistle