Conficker Worm? IT people know anything?

Posted by: Blast

Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/24/09 06:57 PM

Supposedly 12 million computers have been infected with a new worm set to activate on April 1st. At that time it will turn the computers into a giant peer-to-peer network. The purpose of this network is currently unkown according to the NY Times.

Any IT people out there know what's really going on?

Conficker Worm article

-Blast
Posted by: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/24/09 08:42 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oCHxB8d20s

You can break the Internet!! Well at least some one is having a darn good attempt at trying to do it... grin

Posted by: DennisTheMenace

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/24/09 09:32 PM

Blast,

This is an example of when the "due diligence" of a little prior planning pays off.

For expert information on the Conficker worm and how to protect yourself from it, you can read through the Internet Storm Center diary about it. They have links to information on protecting yourself and on how to remove the worm from a computer. This is a reputable and authoritative source for information.

I haven't had time to digest it all, but my _opinion_ is that people who have a decent anti-virus solution in place and up-to-date are not at great risk. The 12 million infected computers are owned by people who aren't paying attention. They may regret it.

Dennis

Posted by: benjammin

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/25/09 01:27 PM

Microsoft has issued a tool to plug the leak so to speak that would confound the worm. Technet.microsoft.com has a pretty good article about the whole thing, and what it does. They are also offering a $250,000 reward for infomration leading to the arrest of those responsible for making/deploying the virus. There are presently two known variants, Conficker A and B. They exploit the same leak in Windows, mostly in enterprise systems, so this was targeted mostly towards server lans, but it will infect anything that isn't already plugged off.

Most enterprise systems subscribe to the MSRT (Microsoft's malicious software removal tool service) and probably already have the security update that was issued last October. If you are concerned, here's the website that has the update:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS08-067.mspx

While this worm may be rendered inert using antivirus and security update tools on individual machines, there could still be a lot of unprotected servers and workstations out there that will generate a lot of extraneous internet traffic if the worm activates, possibly slowing down the system a bit. I guess we will see what happens next wednesday.
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/25/09 01:30 PM

Here's another good website from Microsoft about the worm and what it does:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/viruses/worms/conficker.mspx
Posted by: Blast

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/25/09 03:22 PM

Thanks, guys! Being a Mac-user I'm not too worried. However the DW has an extensive network of Windows machines strung up through the house and she's a bit lax in security. eek It drives me up a wall...

Time for some stealth patching...

-Blast
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/25/09 03:24 PM

If the antivirus updates have been running regularly, there should not be a problem. Make sure they all have the latest update (in the last day or two) and you're golden.
Posted by: kd7fqd

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/25/09 07:40 PM

Like airballrad said "IF" your anti virus software is running regularly you should be fine. Both Nortons and Microsoft state "As long as your anti-virus software is up and running you should be fine"

Mike
Posted by: ironraven

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/25/09 09:49 PM

In a nutshell, the only reason why a computer is at risk is neglect. If you've maintained your security and/or OS patches, it should be fine for you. Then again, it is amazing the number of people who step out in front of cars without looking every day.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/26/09 01:13 PM

More info from cnet: Conficker time bomb ticks, but don't expect boom
Posted by: sodak

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/27/09 03:11 AM

Bring it on. Not having any M$ products, I'm usually not too worried...
Posted by: haertig

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/27/09 03:54 AM

Things like this are why I install Linux on computers of less technical folks who are likely to get themselves in trouble through ignorance about safe computing. It's unfortunate that morons release malicious things like this to get their jollies.
Posted by: airballrad

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/27/09 11:26 AM

Linux in the hands of the less-technically-inclined is a double-edged sword. It can be made more bulletproof, and can be made to look and act alot like Windows, but there will still be support issues cropping up.

A good management system that tracks updates and patches is what shields well-run IT shops from this kind of problem. The typical victim of this sort of virus is likely to be someone with an always-on internet connection at home that has out-of-date/no antivirus protection, and/or a propensity for clicking things that should not be clicked.

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 03/31/09 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: airballrad
Linux in the hands of the less-technically-inclined is a double-edged sword.

+2^10

If you want a *nix system for someone who isn't ready to admin it, buy a Mac. smile
Posted by: Eugene

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 04/01/09 12:18 AM

Thats not true at all. Modern linux distros need no admin, they are super simple to install and use.

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 04/01/09 09:55 PM

(my mother + Acer netbook on the store shelf) x 3 minutes =

freshly restored Acer netbook

All she was doing was getting a feel for it. My mother needs an admin free computer, and the netbook linux builds are just about user proof. No, I don't know what she did, I wasn't looking when she said "oh no", but it was quite non responsive. It would try to boot....

Poor thing.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Conficker Worm? IT people know anything? - 04/05/09 06:57 PM

It might serve to visit:
http://www.confickerworkinggroup.org/infection_test/cfeyechart.html