Hygenics kit at work

Posted by: benjammin

Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 02:22 PM

Anyone else besides me have a kit at work containing dental care, spare deoderant, shaving razor, cologne, hair comb (well not any more, I keep it too short to bother with nowadays), nail file, nail clippers, etc.?
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 02:45 PM

I keep some things with me at work such as dental / nail care. Amazing how many times you need a file.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 03:48 PM

Yep, I keep that stuff at work because my job, in extreme conditions, might require me to stay put.
Posted by: Tjin

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 04:21 PM

I used to keep a overnight kit, but then again it was the firedepartment so sleeping there wasn't anything weird.

These days i don't, home is only 5 minutes away.
Posted by: LED

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 05:17 PM

Thats a great idea, if for nothing else but morale. Its amazing how refreshed you can feel after a proper shave and tooth brushing.
Posted by: Blast

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 06:06 PM

Yep, plus a change of clothing. It's amazing how many people end up borrowing dental floss from me.

-Blast
Posted by: Stu

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 06:24 PM

I carry an "over night" kit in my Yukon and a small bag with toothbrush, floss, hand sanitizer, deodorant, comb, washcloth (in a ziplock), in my desk.
Posted by: UncleGoo

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 06:38 PM

Me, too. Change of clothes, too.
Posted by: Ranter

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 06:50 PM

I keep a kit in my desk and carefully folded and vacuum sealed change of clothes in the truck.(folded and sealed with cardboard for support for less wrinkles)Clean dry clothes can be a life saver sometimes.
Posted by: MDinana

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 07:32 PM

Only on call days! But, I too work at a hospital. Besides a change of underwear, everything I need is in a room somewhere. Even underwear I could get, assuming I like the "mesh" panties we give to ladies. <shudders>
Posted by: benjammin

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 07:50 PM

Careful there Izzy, too much of that and you'll end up like those Ob/Gyn's you hear about.

I never want to lose interest like that.
Posted by: Dan_McI

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 09:21 PM

Absolutely, and I like to keep all the stuff new. It's come in handy for situations when I needed something and when I had someone else in the office who was not in good enough shape to go home.
Posted by: ki4buc

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 10:33 PM

Apparently "Men's Health" recommends every single guy have a "overnight kit", since you never know when you might not be sleeping in your own bed.
Posted by: RayW

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 11:38 PM

Carry a overnight kit with a change of clothes in the car. Haven't needed it often but when you need it.
Posted by: Grouch

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 11:45 PM

I always hated it when I had to hastily evacuate from a bed and then go home to shave and dress. wink
Posted by: CANOEDOGS

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/24/09 11:54 PM

i was lucky..working at at Vets Hospital that had a big PX style gift shop..i got all my razor blades and sox there..a TV too--no sales tax---
Posted by: Russ

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/25/09 12:08 AM

Toothbrush/paste is in my EDC backpack. Nail file, nail clippers come in the form of a SAK. Change of clothes/boots/socks are in the truck. I don't have an office per se, my truck serves as a mobile storage unit, lots of contingencies covered therein. Cologne? You must be kidding.
Posted by: sodak

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/25/09 04:01 AM

Yep. I'm often at work really early and find out that I forgot to shave, or something like that. Nail clippers are just plain useful to have, plus, we have a nice exercise room here, so it's good to have the basics for showering, etc.
Posted by: Art_in_FL

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/25/09 05:30 AM

Yes, I did.

For a while I got into the habit of checking the discount sample-size bin at my local grocery and discount store. I could get hygiene articles, small deodorant stick, tiny cans of shaving cream, etcetera for about a quarter a pop. Sometimes half that on sale.

I would make up little zip-lock bags with a discount toothbrush, tiny tube of toothpaste, a small container of deodorant spray or stick, a tiny packet of dental floss, a disposable razor and a small packet of wet-wipes, a packet of toilet tissue. Sometimes a little bottle of sunscreen or lip balm. I sometimes got really good deals on small and really basic sewing and first-aid kits so I sometimes threw in one of those.

The components, for the most part, didn't deteriorate with time so they stored well. I once handed them out to displaced families after a hurricane. One family was profuse in their gratitude. They said they hadn't washed for days and hadn't brushed their teeth longer than that. Sometimes I gave them to homeless folks. Generally they were well received.

I'm not sure why, or even when, but I stopped buying the stuff and making up the kits.
Posted by: Mike_H

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/25/09 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: MDinana
Only on call days! But, I too work at a hospital. Besides a change of underwear, everything I need is in a room somewhere. Even underwear I could get, assuming I like the "mesh" panties we give to ladies. <shudders>

Yeah, big shudder!
Posted by: LumpyJaw

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/26/09 02:32 PM

I keep a kit in a cabinet at work. Our schedule is normally 8-12 hours per shift, but if someone calls in, it can become 16 hours or more. It's nice to be able to get cleaned up a little when the day gets real long or if there is an impromptu meeting put on the calendar. We wear uniforms and I change when I get there so I always have spare clothes.
Posted by: Kris

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/26/09 04:12 PM

I keep a basic kit here at work complete with food mainly for all nighters and extended stays at work. I can come in handy when a hurricane evac happens and i'm stuck here when the doors get locked.

No clothes but mainly food, stuff to clean me up, deorderant, towels, shampoo, bottle of scotch, etc. When something will happen I will bring an additional bag into work.

I use to dive at lunch (when i use to have spare time) and this kit was more then enough to clean me up afterwards.
Posted by: MartinFocazio

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/26/09 06:19 PM

i do
Posted by: yelp

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/27/09 12:15 AM

I keep a travel-size toiletries kit in my laptop case and another in the office. I also keep a couple changes of clothes, a sleeping bag and ensolite pad, and a towel in the office. All of it gets used regularly.
Posted by: TeacherRO

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/27/09 12:25 AM

and a spare dress shirt...
Posted by: Bill_Mead

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/27/09 02:15 AM

Yup, I keep a basic kit at the office as well.
Posted by: 7point82

Re: Hygenics kit at work - 02/27/09 12:38 PM

In short, yes I keep something like this at work.

Originally Posted By: LED
Thats a great idea, if for nothing else but morale. Its amazing how refreshed you can feel after a proper shave and tooth brushing.

Big +1. Everything seems better afterward.